Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Memories Long Untouched ❯ The Dawn of Hope; Lost, Forgotten... ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Memories Long Untouched

Ch. 3 The Dawn of Hope; Lost and Forgotten

A/n: Hey all! Naa no da! Gomenasai, I just finished watching the Gravitation series recently. It's kind of a new obsession. Ryuichi is just the best! Anyway, you should check it out, it's pretty awesome, despite the fact it's yaoi! Oh well, I enjoyed it! Yeah, so, here's finally a serious chapter. I wrote it during school, which is my depression time of the day. So, hope you likey! R&R! Oh, and sorry for such a short chappie, I've got writer's block! And at the time I'm typing, I'm listening to Love Stuff from the band Bad Luck, they're on Gravitation! It's such a cool song!

And like in most good stories, peace never lasts long…….

Kenshin swung a huge bucket of water over his shoulder, a few drops spilling over the side onto his magenta gi. He walked down the road, carrying it back towards the dojo.

He had spent the whole afternoon, with Kaoru, sitting there under the trees and talking peacefully. It was now evening time, and the sun was setting.

She had always been very good to him, Kaoru had, treating him with a kindness that not many had before. She accepted him and his past, and everything about him. So he accepted her as well. He wondered what might happen if he ever lost her. That would shatter everything.

Kenshin began to whistle a faint tune. It was a bit slow in tempo, and seemed very sad. The words somehow played out in his head as if he had the lyrics right in front of him.

"I wonder where I heard this before? Perhaps at the Akabeko?"

He kept walking, and soon reached the dojo.

"The dawn of hope

Is lost and forgotten

As the snow falling

Freezes the ground

And fate's ill natured thoughts

Piercing my sanity

Oh my dear confide in me……" He began to sing.

"I know I've never heard that at the Akabeko!"

He sat the bucket of water down on the ground outside the dojo, and slowly walked in, quite confused with the song.

However, as he entered the room, his thoughts dispersed, and it was as if he was being drenched with water. His clothes felt heavy, and it was hard to breath.

Why was it suddenly so humid? He could feel his clothes clinging to his sweating body. (A/n: Ok, I know he's kind of old, but…..OH HECK YEAH!!! You gotta admit, the boy is so fine!) Surely the weather could not have changed so very rapidly.

And suddenly, the new questions that ran through his mind were answered, and displayed before his very eyes.

There was no longer a wooden floor, but earthen ground. And on that ground, lay him, his mother, and his father's dead body. Standing above the broken family, was a man with such a foul face, and evil face, that even Kenshin shuddered at the sight of it. (Must have been pretty scary….O.o)

He could hear his mother's distressed cries, so vivid in his memories/hallucination.

"NO! Please, spare my child! I beg of you! Spare his life!" And the man standing over the cowering innocents now curled his lips into a cruel, merciless smile.

"Fine wench, your son will be spared. But I assure you this, your life is as good as over."

With that, he threw his head back in laughter, withdrawing his sword painingly slow.

Kenshin was paralyzed. A small hoarse whisper escaped his dry lips.

"Mother……"

Screams were heard for miles and miles that night. The mother, in order to save her dear son, tried her hardest to hold in the pain that she felt, as the man cut off her legs. She was absolutely helpless. Whatever happened to her now, was up to this man. The man raped her, making her a disgrace to even nature itself. He cut her skin in certain places, creating a pattern all around her body, of blood streaks. And Kenshin could only watch, suffering, as he stepped back, and laughed heartily at his craftsmanship.

And suddenly, it was over. The man was finished with her, so he walked down the road with all the mother's belongings, as her cold, almost lifeless remains held dearly to her child.

Blood poured from the naked body, staining the ground around the child, paralyzed by fear and shock, and his mother. It filled the air with a horrific stench, feel, and even taste.

And as the mother's death drew nearer and nearer each minute, she still held close the her son. By this time, both the child Kenshin and the Kenshin Himura we know today were choking on tears, that were drenching their faces. The mother realized this, and then realized that this was the last time she would see her son. The last time she would see anything in this life. So she decided to sing him a lullaby. Just the first song that came to mind; one slow in tempo, and actually rather sad. She didn't know that this small song would claim her son for life. And so her voice softly, gently sang the words.

"The dawn of hope

Is lost and forgotten

As the snow falling

Freezes the ground

And fate's ill natured thoughts

Piercing my sanity

Oh my dear, confide in me……"

Kenshin fell to his knees, as the image before him slowly disapperead with his mother's life, until the moment she took her last breath. Darkness quickly closed in around him, taunting him and swirling around him like a cloud of smoke. So he did the only thing he could think of doing at the moment. He cried, and screamed, and shouted at himself. And he was once again under the spell of paralyzation, unable to move.

Why was no one coming for him? Where were they all? Or perhaps they couldn't hear him.

Then the thought struck him that maybe, possibly, he had just lived his life in a dream. Maybe it was all just something he created in his head. Yes, perhaps now he was just waking up. And he'd be in his bed, screaming, waking from this hellish nightmare called life.

And the tears came even more vigorously then, for he realized the painful truth. There was no way he could try to twist anything around. Because in that instant, his small dawn of hope was lost and forgotten, as always, and yet again, his life was only darkness.

A/n: SO, you likey? I thought it was rather sad. It really had nothing to do with the plot. I'm stalling, or else my plot will seem rushed, so I'm giving you a look into some of the hallucinations, pains, and hurts that are meant to be part of his everyday life. And so, that was my chapter! Please review it, and tell me what you thought! Angsty, huh? My friend thought it was too bloody, but that's one reason it's rated PG-13. Go figure.

^^ Sayonara!