Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Oblivion ❯ Chapter 10

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Standard disclaimers apply. Well, I have a few pennies up my sleeve… but that definitely would not be enough to win a law suit that I don't have any hope in winning anyway!!! Be kind! Don't sue me, porfavor! @_@;;

What if some things went wrong from the way Kenshin planned things for the Aoiya's defense while fighting Shishio-and the love of his life being the one to suffer his mistake? Can K&K still triumph over the trials thereafter?

I got the theme of these succeeding chaps in Seisouhen, for that's where some of the details in Kaoru's childhood were somewhat elaborated (a little! ^_^).

"Oblivion"

Chapter Ten

Kaoru seemed hesitant upon arriving at the training hall's doorstep. Her eyes remained staring at her bare feet; her fist balled at her sides as an unusual fear kept on prowling her mind. But knowing her own defiant nature, she raised her stare and slid the shoji door open. Stepping inside, she closed the door again carefully.

It was dark; she let her eyes get used to the dim ambience of the spacious hall.

Up ahead she could see wooden swords neatly stuck in the wall. To her left were also wooden blocks fixed in a panel, with names etched on each. She tried to pronounce names apiece, they seemed familiar to her but do not know exactly how.

"Kamiya… Kasshin-ryuu," she absently mumbled to herself. Kaoru bit her lip upon realizing what she had just said.

When she was about to step forward to read more, she was surprised as the shoji door flew open and in came people in practice gis and hakamas with respective wooden swords in hand. Each took a place to occupy and instantly bowed down the ground.

Kaoru was dumbfounded-again. She silently cursed herself for being so jumpy.

Mou! I think I'm slowly getting a heart attack…!

But thinking of her present situation, Hmp! Who cares? I'm dead anyway…

She watched quietly from the corner she was in and waited curiously about what will happen next.

At that moment, her father came in, followed by a girl, no-a young lady she perfectly knows who-and that knowledge elicited a natural smile in her face.

Kaoru stood bedazzled at her own reflection as she watched herself follow closely her father as he took his place in front of his numerous students.

Her smile widened as she saw some students dared look up to her face and blushed silently.

I didn't know that…! she chuckled.

Indeed, at the fresh age of 16, Kaoru Kamiya was unknowing of the full splendor of her budding beauty.

Her bearing as the daughter of the master of the Kamiya Kasshin-ryuu was that of nobility, for their family was known all over Tokyo. Her mother was the daughter of a rich immigrant-merchant from Hokkaido while her father's, Tokyo natives as they are, were known for the famous school of 'the sword that protects' principle.

Her eyes, which shone in the brilliancy of sapphires, were perfectly beautiful and at the same time full of both sweetness and ardor. Her mouth was small and rosy; and although her lower lip, like that of all the members of the Kamiya clan, protruded slightly beyond the other, it was superlatively lovely in its smile and profoundly disdainful in its contempt. Her skin was admired for its ivory-whiteness, and her hands and arms, though calloused because of frequent training conducted personally by her father, were of surpassing beauty in form. Her hair, which from being a simple black in her youth had become bluish-black in which she wore in a high ponytail if on training or set loose most of the time, admirably framed her face; and the most fastidious sculptor could only have wished for a little less than finely modeled nose.

Kaoru felt proud of herself as she gave the younger Kaoru one last review. I didn't know I was like this before… how time flies!

Katsuro Kamiya eyed his students meticulously. He let his eyes roam from one student to another; all were still fixed to the ground in respect to their master and his daughter.

"Stand up… all of you," he commanded which they instantly obeyed. They retained their stationary pose as Katsuro began to speak again.

"The Kamiya Kasshin Dojo commends all of you for being good students for this past year, and it is my regret that times like this should come," he said.

All were quiet. The younger Kaoru shifted her gaze from all of them to her father. Katsuro felt his daughter's eyes on him. He looked at her and gave her a small smile of assurance.

He continued, "Summer ends soon and so is our class. I have taught you all there is about Kamiya Kasshin… and I hope you all will learn to live by its sworn principle, to let the world know that the sword is not just used to kill… but to protect lives as well."

Katsuro said yet many things but Kaoru was busy trying to remember this event in her past life.

"Yes… I remember," she said to herself. "This was the day when the last batch of the Kamiya Kasshin students were dispatched… the last batch Tou-san had taught himself with me…"

Kaoru blinked once. And the scene suddenly felt drawn out to the porch…

She could see the vague images of her and father sitting in the porch that night after that event in the morning.

I remember…

I remember now.

We had just finished eating that night, he took home sashimi and vegetables. We shared them with Dr. Masuharu Genzai and his two grandchildren. The parents of the two girls, Ayame and Suzume, died in the war-they volunteered as doctors for the Japanese army in China.

There was something different about that night… Tou-san was unusually 'cheerful'. He was never the kind of person that little children liked… in fact he was strict and scary for them.

After I took home the children with Dr. Genzai, I found Tou-san sitting on the porch. He called me and asked me to sit beside him.

I looked at him, puzzled by the way he is acting. I was about to ask him, but he was quick enough to dodge at my query.

"I'm leaving tomorrow, Kaoru." he said.

"To where?"

"To war," he ended.

My world stopped.

"Why-?" was the only thing that slipped out of my mouth.

He sighed deeply then looked at the night sky above. Stars seemed to sparkle more brightly, but to me it has becoming dimmer by the second.

"If you know the real essence of Kamiya Kasshin, it is not hard for me to explain," he said. "For me, who's sun is about to set it means differently; but to you, who's sun is still yet to rise and yet to shine brightly, its another thing,"

"Each of us chooses our path and no matter how we try to deny to ourselves that we are called to that path… sooner or later we will succumb to it, and be devoured of its real purpose,"

"And for me, the only thing that can justify my belief to this principle is through this… may it be painful, it is the way it should be, Kaoru." he finished.

"Tou-san…" I choked out.

"Someday you will realize the true meaning of our sword principle… when you actually had bore the weight of a sword."

I couldn't sleep… I couldn't believe everything. Tou-san was leaving… he was actually going to leave me.

That night I cried…

I cried so much like when Mother passed away.

Tou-san was never an affectionate person, but for me he was the kindest and soulful person there is…

I can't afford to lose you again…

Not again…

Onegai…

It was a dewy morning the next day.

I bolted out of my room, my heart beating rapidly in fear that you have left without informing me.

I checked your room…

You were not there!

I went to the kitchen, in hopes of you changing your mind and finally staying with me, cooking my favorite dish…

But the stove was not even warm.

I ran quickly and opened all the rooms like frenzy… tears already flowing down my cheeks but never did I mind!

I had to find you…!

Tou-san!

Don't leave me…

No!!

Noooo…

I felt warm hands caressed my cheek…

It felt like your hands…

…am I dreaming?

Your hands, those hands I can perfectly describe; the hands that taught me everything I know… everything I believed in…

Yes, it sure feels like your hands, Tou-san.

Then I heard a voice…

"Kaoru-chan…"

I kept my eyes shut firmly, lest I lose my dream that you were still here…

"Kaoru-chan, its me… Tou-san," your voice said.

Reality came to dawn upon me, and slowly I opened my eyes…

I can see your wavy hair, with which your hat had flattened. Your kind eyes, your lips that were like mine…

"Tou-san…"

"Kaoru…"

I hugged you. I hugged you like the way when Mother died. I need your love, your care… you chased all my ghosts away… you alone, Father!

"Its time to go, Kaoru…"

No! My mind screamed. I can't let you leave…!

I held you tight, I held you near me…

Don't leave me father!

Please… don't…!

You shrugged my hand away. I fell to the floor. I cried again. The floor was already wet with my tears.

I was hurt… but it was not my body who ached, but my heart.

Father…

I don't know how I managed to keep up with you to the dojo gate. No matter what you do, I still hanged on.

W-why can't you understand that I can't afford to lose another loved one again…?

You turned your back and picked up your things.

It was hopeless for me, and I slumped to the ground, crying like a girl stripped of her toy.

But you said something that made me stop crying.

It was something I never heard you told me ever since the day I was born.

I already had felt that…

But its still different having to hear it from you…

"I love you, my princess…"

And as you touched my cheek lovingly, you went on your way… while me?

I just watched you go…

… stupefied with what you just said.

Its as if it was the only thing that had mattered…

Kaoru's vision ended, and so is her heart; that was shattered again for the second time. She couldn't cry no more, her senses naïve to the sorrows herself had gone through.

It sure feels like the first time again…

Tell me what you think guys! I know it sounds perky and dorky. But nevertheless lemme hear them…!

Thanks so much! ^_^