Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Oblivion ❯ Chapter 11

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Standard disclaimers apply. Well, I have a few pennies up my sleeve… but that definitely would not be enough to win a law suit that I don't have any hope in winning anyway!!! Be kind! Don't sue me, porfavor! @_@;;

What if some things went wrong from the way Kenshin planned things for the Aoiya's defense while fighting Shishio-and the love of his life being the one to suffer his mistake? Can K&K still triumph over the trials thereafter?

"Oblivion"

Chapter Eleven

Kaoru envisioned herself lying on the futon of her parents' room. She remained there motionless, still unable to realize everything that had happened for the past weeks…

Tou-san left me…

I'm all alone here…

What will happen to me now…?

Tears began to well up in the corner of her eyes once again. Her eyes were still red from crying last night… and now, she cries again.

It's as if crying was the only thing that she oughta do…

And will ever do…

I don't know, but I'm really afraid.

Tou-san is strong, but the world out there is cold and harsh.

Why can't he just stay here where I can take care of him?

I can remember that fateful morning…

It was on a day like this…

Dr. Genzai visited me here in the dojo…

"Kaoru-chan? Kaoru-chan, are you home?" Dr. Genzai called.

Wiping a stray tear from her cheek, I called back. "Hai, Dr. Genzai…! I'm here…"

Kaoru heard soft steps heading towards her room. In a few moments, the good doctor was seated in front of her.

"By Kami, Kaoru-chan… your father will be worried if he gets home and you are like that," he reprimanded. "He entrusted you to me… what will he think if he sees you getting thinner day by day?"

I just shrugged. I didn't even look at my father's best friend. It was just, just…

So hard…

Dr. Genzai sighed audibly. It was just then that I realized that he has got some food for me-again. He carefully took them out from the basket and laid them in front of me.

"Here Kaoru… eat these," he said. "You should get yourself well… one of these days your father will come home and I don't want to get scolded by him just because I didn't took good care of you, ne?"

I raised an eye at him and found him beaming at me. I feel touched.

Dr. Genzai… you are so kind.

"C'mon now, they're getting cold," he said, handing me a pair of chopsticks. "You know, you should visit Ayame and Suzume sometime. The two are growing up so quickly… and its your name they always call out! Haha! They're missing you already, Kaoru-chan." he said looking at me earnestly.

I tried to muster up a smile for him. Indeed I have 'neglected' my two favorite girls since Tou-san left. And they miss me now…? I think its me that misses them more…!

"Dr. Genzai," I started. "I'll pay them a visit tomorrow morning, ne? Its just that I have forgotten about them completely these days. All I think of is Tou-san…" I suddenly felt pricks starting again under my eyes. Not again…!

The doctor reached for my hand and looked directly to my eyes.

"Kaoru-chan," he began. "Your father will come back, that's for sure. He has promised that to me. He is a very strong man, don't worry about him. I've known him since we were still small, and I bet you he's as strong as a carabao. He just wants to ponder some things about his living principle… and you know very well what that is," he said, squeezing my hand.

"You are his daughter, and you should have faith in him. But from the way things are going, its like I'm the one who's more trusting in him than you should!" he chuckled.

My eyes widened. No! I trust Tou-san by my life!

"D-dr. Genzai… do you really think so?"

"Think 'what', Kaoru-chan?"

"That… that Tou-san will c-come back?" I said sheepishly.

"Of course!" he replied. "Your father has never failed me! Has he ever did you?"

I shook my head incessantly.

He smiled then shoved my head. "Then have faith, my child. Have faith."

Faith.

That has been my shield for the next couple of days.

I have learned it from Dr. Genzai.

I tried to go on with my life while waiting for Tou-san. I visited my friends and the two Genzai grandchildren the next day, as I have promised. With that, I go to the harbor everyday to get some news about father. So far, none would tell me if they have seen him. Some say he was in the trenches… some in the mountains. I don't know who am I to believe anymore. But as long as there's this faith, I will not give up waiting for my father.

I can see him walking towards me the same way he had left. If that scene was sad for me, I'm sure Kami-sama has a big surprise waiting for me. I know he's make up for that event… we'll surely be happy from then on.

I clean his room religiously-because he had always wanted everything to be clean. That was the virtue everybody would tell me that I got from Tou-san. Cleanliness. I sweep the dojo ground everyday, dust the temple, clean the kitchen and do almost the laundry most of the time. Whew, when will I ever get someone that'd help me with the laundry? Tou-san's the only man I know that could do the laundry, you know. Haha! Funny, but that's the way it is.

I don't know, he has taught me everything else there is in housekeeping except for one thing-COOKING. My father's the best cook in this side of Tokyo, hah! And I can prove it to you. Just ask anybody here in the neighborhood on who could make the most delicious and succulent dishes there are. They'd tell you no one else's name but Katsuro Kamiya.

He's even paid a great deal when he gets to cook for important luncheons there at the magistrate's hall. I go with him most of the time… well, of course to help! Mou! But not on the 'actual' cooking, though…

"Kamiya-san…! Kaoru Kamiya-san…? Is anybody home…?"

It was on a time when I have many things doing presently that someone would be annoying enough to call!

Nevertheless, I opened the dojo gate.

Smiling the best that I could, "Hai! What can I do for you, kind sir?"

The man that I take as a messenger from the uniform he was wearing, took off his hat in respect. Bowing to me, he began to talk. "You are Kamiya Kaoru? Daughter of Katsuro Kamiya-san…?

"H-hai…" I suddenly felt my heart jump in enthusiasm upon the mention of Tou-san's name. Then I saw Dr. Genzai's figure walking down the road towards the dojo.

The messenger nodded. "I see…"

"D-do you like to come in first…?" I was surprised by the worry in my own voice… truly, I myself am is a stranger to my own these days…

Dr. Genzai has made it next to me now. Looking at the man, the man immediately bowed to him and introduced himself. "Ohayou, sir-Kamiya-san… I'am Yoshirou Iwata from the 7th squadron. I just came from China, and am of good acquaintance of Kamiya Katsuro, I believe-your father," he said turning to Kaoru.

My face brightened.

"Really? You know my father? Oh! How is he? Is he well? When will he come back? Did he tell you when?"

"Iie, Kaoru-chan… let the man finish first," gesturing to the soldier, "Hai, good sir. What has come of my friend-her father-there in China?"

My heart raced instantly as soon as I saw the man's face became sad. He wasn't able to look at me… I swear he avoided our eyes. But why-?

"Sir-Kamiya-san, I regret to tell you this news. I'm the least person that wants to tell you this, but, being Kamiya-san's subordinate and I-considering him as a great friend also-feel that I'am responsible in bringing you the news about his… I mean 'him'…"

It's as if my tongue had rolled in my mouth to my throat. I couldn't speak.

Why couldn't my darn heart just keep quiet?

Dr. Genzai saw the man's hesitation. "We understand, young man. And we are grateful you have given us our long awaited news about him. Come! Speak! What is it that you are impending to tell us? Katsuro is well, i-is he?"

I wondered instantly at Dr. Genzai's sudden change of tone.

The man sighed deeply and spoke…

"Very well, sir-ma'am," he tried to put on the best soothing and comforting voice that he has before continuing. "It is my highest displeasure, like I have said a while ago to inform you, that… Kamiya Katsuro, your highly respected father," he said, looking at me directly, "was killed in the Valley of Xiaolun a month ago…"

No…

This can't BE happening…

This man is lying…

Tou-san…

He couldn't be…

… dead.

The messenger continued to talk about how he died, where was his body now and the plans to bring it here, where 'his home' was…

But I didn't care.

The man apologized for a countless number of times…

He even praised my father for being so 'dedicated' and always 'looked up to' by his comrades in battle…

But what do I… even… DAMNED… CARE!

Dr. Genzai was looking at me in complete concern.

I stared at him back.

Wordlessly, I went inside the dojo…

… and locked the gate, leaving Dr. Genzai and the man pleading to let me have them in.

I was deaf and blind to everything now…

See? I was right. I was right from the start that he gonna die out there…

… and nobody believed me.

… not even him.

I smugly looked around the empty dojo.

What am I doing here still?

My mother's dead.

And now, my father's…

… d-dead too…

Shit, when will I get used to saying that?

WHEN WILL I GET USED TO SAY THAT ALL PEOPLE THAT I LOVE ARE DEAD, DAMMIT!!!

Can somebody answer me here?!

Can somebody puh-leez explain everything for me from the start again, what kind of life am I living???

Can SOMEbody please tell Kami to be kind to me even just for a second?

Because if He can, I'd be very grateful…

… grateful, yeah.

Very.

Just this once, WISEGUY-UP-THERE!

Can you be so kind to give me a chance to be happy for one second!

Hey! Can you hear me there!

Can YOU hear me?

Hahaha! I bet you don't, ne?

I bet on MY LIFE that you don't! Haha…!

Oh great, now I'm inside the temple.

The temple I had just finished scrubbing…

… and dusting…

… and sweeping…

… just for one man to be happy and contented as soon as he gets home.

But now?

Hah. He's never gonna get home.

He's never get to see how I had scrubbed the floor, dusted the corners and ceiling, and sweeped it one final one so it gets the 'squeaky-clean feeling'.

Huh-loooo…?

Anybooody hoooome…?

Ha-ha-ha! AS-IF!

As if someone's here, Kaoru-no-baka!

Its only YOU here, and don't you ever forget it.

Don't forget it…

That you're alone…

… alone.

Kaoru felt a tear slid across her cheek. And another. And another.

She found herself crying again.

She suddenly slumped in front of the dojo's shrine and cried hard, mumbling to herself.

"Mother… Father…"

"… why did you leave me? Why? WHY!!!"

She cried burying her face with her hands.

"Take me with you… please…" she pleaded. Kaoru pounded the floor beneath her.

Making shuffled cries, she wailed uncontrollably. "Let me be with you… help me…" she called.

"Mother, I have never asked anything of you but please… spare me this sorrow! Take me with you so I can be where you and Tou-san are! Speak to me! Please!"

Not like the usual wallowing that has no essential substance yet…

This time, it's the real thing.

She hugged herself, as if she could find comfort within her own.

Just then, a soft breeze entered the hall. A woman appeared suddenly and looked down at the heartrending condition of Kaoru, whose back was on her. The face of the woman became distressed. Stooping low, she shoved Kaoru's back and this gave Kaoru inexplicable comfort.

Kaoru wiped her eyes and slowly turned around to see her 'comforter'.

And there she was.

She was a charming woman that looks no more than twenty-five years, with dark hair, blue eyes like hers, a slightly turned up nose, admirable teeth, and a rose-petal complexion. There are signs that allowed her to be taken for a lady of rank: her hands were white and with delicacy; and her feet were those of a woman of quality. And she was smiling tenderly at her.

By Kami, she has the sweetest smile in the world! thought Kaoru.

"Who are you?"

"You called for me, and here I'am, Kaoru-hime," the woman answered back.

The realization that it was actually her mother dawned upon Kaoru slowly.

Bewildered and thinking that if this is a dream, she rose to her feet and stared at the woman in wonder.

Nanako Kamiya smiled lovingly at her even more. Offering her arms, Kaoru threw herself at her and sobbed desperately.

No words could describe the mother-daughter affection between them.

Nanako was crying as her daughter was for she was just there Kaoru, watching everything that has been revealed to her.

"M-mother…" Kaoru, still crying against Nanako's chest, called. "Tou-san…"

Her mother cradled her princess, rocking back and forth to soothe away her hurt. "Sssh, Hime-chan… don't speak for now. Sssh, I know-I know…" she comforted.

Kaoru bursted again in tears. They remained like that for a long time.

In between her sobs, she raised her head and looked at her mother's face. Mother and daughter stared wordlessly at each other and understood each other's stupefaction. "I-I can't believe I'am seeing you right now, Mother. Y-you are so lovely…"

Nanako smiled. Tucking a stray hair strand at the back of her ear, "You are much beautiful, my child."

Kaoru became silent.

Her mother asked her, worried. "What is it that you are thinking, Kaoru?"

"About everything."

"Then what is it about 'everything'?"

"I remember now, Mother. Yours was the voice that took me here. You were the one who has been helping me remember everything."

"And have I helped you in vain?"

Kaoru shook her head to disagree. "Iie. I remember all quite well now. But its sad."

Nanako sighed. "Gomen ne, Kaoru-chan? If you had to go through all of these sad memories. It was necessary, I guess."

"But the turning point was… Tou-san's death," Kaoru felt her voice cracked.

Nanako embraced her daughter instantly. "Oh, my poor child! You have been through so many obstacles, ne? If only I could do something for you…"

"There is one, Mother. One thing that can save me from all of these…"

Nanako saw her daughter's serious face. She definitely IS my daughter.

As if she had read her mind well enough, she gave Kaoru a disapproving look.

"Please Mother… I beg you, let me be with you and Tou-san."

Mother shook her head incessantly. "I swear you will regret saying that, Kaoru."

Kaoru knotted her brows. "Why? I don't see any reason not to join you and Father in the after-life," she commented.

"I thought you have regained your memory already, Kao-chan?"

"But I have!"

Nanako had a small smile in her lips. "You still haven't completely."

"B-but, what else could have I forgotten?"

"Close your eyes, my child."

"Again?"

"Yes."

Kaoru closed her eyes.

"Okay, open up."

She slowly opened her eyes…

And she was again inside the room she was in before.

At the Aoiya, with people mourning over her. But strange enough, they were not moving.

"Why aren't they moving?"

"Time has stopped, Kaoru," replied Nanako.

"Why have you brought me here?"

"Because I want you to meet the person that made you smile after those sad events in your life."

Kaoru looked around her. She could see herself again, lying lifelessly on a futon, being cradled by a red-haired man who, when she saw his face, made her heart flutter slightly.

Surprised by her reaction, she placed her hand on her chest.

This was not concealed from her mother's prying eyes. Smiling at Kaoru, "Now, are you ready to find out who he is and the others to you?"

Glancing at the man's face once again before answering, she could see the torment and agony freezed along with him as she was sure he had probably fainted. His hand still clasped her own and it seemed that he was not letting her go that easily with death.

Finally resolved, she turned to her mother.

A faint blush crept up to her cheeks. "H-hai…"

There you have it! The eleventh chapter. I think it'll be finished by the fourteenth (hopefully not the 13th! @_@x). And by that time, my next fic will tag along. So what do you think of this? Pure K&K scenes up next! BTW, I got the 'Katsuro' name from a distant cousin of mine, who's a Jap of course. I just thought that his name would fit right in my story that's why I have used it. I have no plans in making this story 'factual' because I have absolutely NO RIGHT to do that. All ideas were just spun in this silly coconut shell-'o-mine and is only my desperate interpretation of 'what-ifs'. This is just a simple K&K romance story set in the middle of Kaoru's existence. Thanks so much.