Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Out There ❯ Kenshin's Desire ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Out There
A Rurouni Kenshin Alternate Universe fic by Kchan88

Chapter 1: Kenshin's desire

A sixteen year old Kenshin sat at a table carving a new wooden figure, when two little faces poked their heads in.
The faces belonged to Ayame and Suzume. Their grandfather, Dr. Gensai, was a doctor for the police force. One day the two had been running around the station
until they found the staircase to Kenshin's tower. They of course were not afraid of him in the slightest, and Kenshin had befriended them quickly. No one except Kenshin the two girls,and Dr. Gensai knew about it of course.
If Saitoh ever found out about it, he'd have the door to Kenshin's tower barred shut, and would have someone always watching him to make asure no one came in. Dr. Gensai, came to visit the young man in secret, just talking to him. He knew that Kensin had hardly any human contact because
of Saitoh's rules. Kenshin was to never leave his tower, and no one except Saitoh was to come in.Dr. Gensai didn't agree with what Saitoh was doing, he really liked Kenshin, and did not believe that he was infected. But there wasn't much he could do. Hajime Saitoh was a very powerful man that everyone was afraid of.
Saitoh had convinced Kenshin that the scar on his face prevented him form going out into the world, that he was contaminated. Saitoh had also spread false rumors against Kenshin, making the townspeople fear him. This was how Kenshin had gained the name 'Battousai'. Kenshin of course knew none of this. Granted he didn't really like
Saitoh's personality, but he was grateful for all of the care he had given him over the years. Kenshin was convinced that Saitoh was right, because no one had ever told him otherwise. Kenshin turned to greet his two little friends.

"Well hello there you two." he said cheerfully.

"Hi Uncle Ken!!" they chirped loudly.

"Shh..." whispered Kenshin,"Try to be a little quieter, okay? We don't want anyone to find out about our secret do we?"

"Sorry Uncle Ken, We'll be quieter." they whispered, copying Kenshin.

The two went over to play with the wooden town Kenshin had built, and the three played happily together for a while. All was peaceful until
there came a knock at the door.

"Kenshin what's going on in there?" said Hajime Saitoh's hard voice.

"Nothing ." said Kenshin, trying to keep his voice normal as he hastily let Ayame and Suzume out the back door of his tower.

"Come in master."

Saitoh came in, a scowl on his face as per usual.

"I have come to have lunch with you today Kenshin. Please sit down." said Saitoh, his voice completely uncaring.

Kenshin ran to get the plates and untensils, and hastily sat down, almost falling out of his chair.

"I am honored master." Kenshin said, bowing his head.

As the two ate, Saitoh began quizzing Kenshin on his most recent lesson.

"A is for what Kenshin?" asked Saitoh.

Kenshin didn't respond. He was staring out the window, watching the people go by.

"Kenshin!!!" yelled Saitoh, "Pay attention!!!" Saitoh slammed his hand down on the table.

"Sorry master." said Kenshin, shaking out of his reverie. "A is for Aku, S is for Soku, and Z is for Zan."

"Very good Kenshin." remarked Saitoh.

"Its nothing." said Kenshin humlby.

Saitoh gave the handsome youn man before him a piercing look.

"Kenshin I must ask you whay you were staring out the window. Are you planning to try and gett out?" Saitoh asked suspiciously.

Kenshin stared. How could Saitoh know that?

"No of course not master, never." said Kenshin, trying to hide his shocked face.

"Good. I would hope not. Remeber what I have taught you. That mark on your face is a symbol that tells people that your family was infected with cholera. You don't have it, but you are still contaminated,
so the people will shun you. Trust me Kenshin, people are evil. You do not want to go out among them." said Saitoh meanly, not caring if it hurt the boy.

"I just thought that it would be amazing to spend one day among the people." said Kensin quietly, his voice hopeful.

"No. Absoulutley not. They will ridicule you without mercy. They are animals. Why do you think I've kept you up here all these years?" said Saitoh, crushing Kenshin's hopes.

"Because you are the only one here to defend me." said Kenshin as he sadly stared at the floor.

"Right. I'm the only one you can trust in. If I were not a trustworthy person, would I have kept you all of these years?' said Saitoh, trying to make Kenshin feel guilty.

"No you wouldn't have. You would have left me to die." said Kenshin still staring at the floor, tears forming in his soft violet eyes.

"Do not forget it was me who rescued you after your parents abandoned you. So show mw your gratitude. Obey me and stay in here." said Saitoh in a final way, leaving no room for argument.

"Yes master, I will stay here. I am grateful for what you have done for me, that I am." said Kenshin looking up at Saitoh, the pain clear in those violet eyes.

Saitoh paid no mind to the sad look in the boy's eyes. He knew how much Kenshin hungered for the outside world, but he didn't care. What would the people think if they found out that he, the police
chief, waas hiding this boy in the tower of the police station?

"That's a good lad." said Saitoh condescendingly. "But I must go now. I will come back later to make sure that you have studied your lessons."said Saitoh, getting up to leave.

"Where are you going master?" asked Kenshin curiously.

"To that dreadful feast of fools. As police chief, I am obligated to go." said Saitoh, with a disgusted look on his face.

"Sounds like fun." whispered Kenshin.

"Trust me my boy, its dreadful. Study. I will see you later." said Saitoh, walking out the door.

After Saitoh left, Kenshin turned back around and looked at the tower he had lived in his entire life. He had neve been allowed in the outside world, had never had much contact with other humans.
He felt so lonley sometimes, that he wished he would just wither away. He wanted so much to be normal, to be free. he longed for that more than anything else. To be free and to be loved. The only thing that was worth living for, in Kenshin's mind, was the secret sword lessons that
the police commisioner, Hiko, had given him. Hiko always snuck Kenshin candy, and when Kenshin was seven, Hiko started teaching him the Hiten Mitsurugi style. Right under Saitoh's nose. Hiko had been a big help to Kenshin. He was like a father to Kenshin, much more than Saitoh ever was. He was there
when Kenshin needed a shoulder to lean on. Hiko had decided to teach Kenshin because if Saitoh ever tried to pull something on Kenshin, Kenshin would be ready. Hiko didn't trust Saitoh in the slightest. Hiko knew that Kenshin would someday out live his usefullness to Saitoh, and that
Saitoh wuld try to dispose of him. Hiko didn't tell Kenshin these things, he didn't want to scare the boy, but Kenshin knew quite well how Hiko felt about Saitoh.
Kenshin went and stood on the balcony of the tower, and looked down at the people getting ready for the festival with a hungry eyes.

"I wish more than anything that I could go to the festival today." Kenshin said wistfully to himself.

"Then go." said a deep voice. It was Hiko.

Kenshin jumped ten feet into the air.

"Sir Hiko. I didn't hear you come in." said Kenshin, startled.

"Well I can't exactly be loud or someone will hear us and tell Saitoh." said Hiko with an arrogant expression on his face as per usual. "If you want to go to the festival then go."

Kenshin looked up at Hiko, his voice sadder than ever.

"But Sir Hiko, I'm not allowed to leave this tower, I never have been. And if I did Saitoh would obviously recognize me." said Kenshin hoplessly.

Hiko tossed Kenshin the big white cape he always wore.

"Wear this to cover your head, and he won't recognize you. Just don't let anyone pull it off." said Hiko, trying to encourage Kenshin to go.

Kenshin hesitated.

"But I won't know what to do. I 've never left this tower."

"Just be discreet and be yourself. Don't get in the middle of the crowd or you'll be discovered." said Hiko warningly.

Kenshin walked over to the board that he hid his sword under and started to pick it up. Hiko had said to never go anywhere without his sword. Not in these dangerous days.

"No." said Hiko suddenly, "You musn't take your sword. If Saitoh were to discover you, he musn't know I have been teaching you swordsmanship."

"Okay." said Kenshin, putting the sword back, "I 'm going to do this. Thanks Sir Hiko." he said gratefully.

Hiko winked at Kenshin and gave him a pat on the back.

"Have fun my stupid apprentice." he said with a grin.

"I will." said Kenshin, grinning back.

And so for the first time , Kenshin walked out of his tower and into the outside world.

Hiko grinned. Kenshin was starting to take charge of his own life. Hiko planned to help Kenshin, and when the time came, he was going to tell Kenshin the truth about his past. Kenshin was after all sixteen years old. He was old enough now.