Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Prisoner of War ❯ Captain's Wife ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Moving onward! Remember alternate universe.

Disclaimer: Right now I don't even have the internet, more or less rights to Kenshin.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))

He couldn't believe it. He was supposed to be dead. He had felt the life rush out of him. How could this be? The young girl came toward him, and he sat up sharply. His battered body cried out at the action, and he fell back down.

"Please be careful. It took me quite a while to bandage you all up when you were like that." She pointed to the irons that held his hands securely in front of him. He tried to struggle against them, but it hurt too much. He glared up at her.

"It took a lot of convincing to get them to put your hands in front. My husband assured them that you could get them that way anyhow, so they changed your irons. There were five men in the room when they did it. I had no idea you were so dangerous. I'm glad though. Your shoulders wouldn't have healed properly if they were the other way." He looked at her like she was from another planet.

"Why did you save me?" She was surprised.

"Why wouldn't I?"

"I am a murderer. All I do is kill, and I take joy out of it." She looked down at him sadly. How could he argue for his death?

"Ah yes. Battousai the Manslayer. Believe it or not, even your life is precious." He was angry now.

"How can you say such things?"

"How can I not? My name is Kaoru, and I will be taking care of you for your time here in Edo. What is your name?" He glared at her.

"You know my name. You already called me by it." She smiled lightly.

"No. I called you Battousai the Manslayer. I know that no mother would name her son that. What is your real name?" No one had asked his name for nine years. It was a distant memory inside his head. Why did she want to know?

"That man is dead. He died when he was enslaved." She sighed and sat down next to him. The smell of cherry blossoms was stronger when she was that close. She placed her hand on his bandaged shoulder. Her touch was so gentle. Why was she treating him this way?

"I should really change your bandages." He watched as she stood and walked over to a small cabinet at the far side of the room. He took that moment to look around him. The place he was in was a long room. It held many beds most of which were full of men that looked in worse shape than he. There were men so bandaged that he couldn't make out their faces and men who were missing more than one limb. None of them were chained though. It was only he who they thought dangerous enough to restrain even when he was injured. There were other nurses and guards too. They stood with drawn swords beside the door. He lay in the furthest bed from them. The furthest from the only way out of the room. He noticed that since he had woken up the two guards had become six. The sweet young woman returned to his side with fresh bandages and a jar of ointment. He watched silently as she carefully removed his old wrappings and placed the cooling ointment on his tender wounds. She worked diligently. Right leg. Left leg. Right shoulder. Left shoulder. She gently rubbed the cream on his chest and began speaking.

"So, what is your life like?" He continued staring at her and didn't say a word.

"Oh, well then, I guess I'll just have to tell you about mine. I work here because my husband is gone so often. He's a Captain in the Edo army. I used to just sit at home and wait for him, but he told me recently I could go out. I've been married to him for five years now. Ever since I was twelve. My family said it would be best for me." She turned and picked up the bandages.

"I cook for him, though not very well. I keep the house clean. I do the laundry and draw his baths when he's home. I am a very good wife according to Edo standards. I used to talk back to him, but I have learned my lesson well." He remained silent and expressionless. He just watched her meticulous movements.

"Yes, I am a very good wife now." Then the door burst open and Captain Saitou strode in. Kaoru quickly lowered her head and moved away from the bed. The red head was almost sad to see her go. The imposing man strode quickly next to him. He reached down and grabbed his chin to tilt it toward him. They both narrowed their eyes at one another.

"Ah, the famed Battousai the Manslayer. How does it feel to be imprisoned? I hope my wife is taking good care of you. When we bargain for the release of our men, we will need to return a healthy and useful killer. You're no good to either of us otherwise." He turned the face in his hand and stared at the scar the marked his face.

"They really want their property back." He pushed his face forcefully away and walked to his cowering wife. She looked up at him hopefully.

"Come home and make dinner and draw my bath." She looked down.

"But, Captain, I wasn't done treating the Battousai yet."

"You can come here afterward."

"But…" He cut her off with a hard smack in the face.

"You will come home." She looked down dejectedly.

"Yes, Captain." He exited, and she returned to the red head's side. She hastily put on the rest of his bandages. He glared at the red mark on her face, and she did not meet his eyes. She hurriedly put the remaining bandages and ointment away. She called to him from the cabinet.

"I must go home and cook for my husband." She returned to his side with some liquid.

"Here, drink this." She placed the small cup to his lips, and he obliged. It was sake. Very good sake at that. He looked back up at her. Why was she being so kind to him?

"I hope you feel better, Battousai." She turned and he followed the red mark on her face with his eyes. There were no slaves in Edo. He had known that for a long time. He had never understood why though. At least not until now. They didn't need slaves. They had wives. When she reached the middle of the room, he called out.

"Kenshin!" She turned back with a confused look on her face.

"I'm sorry, what?"

"My name is Kenshin." She smiled lightly at him. He really liked her smile.

"Oh. Well then, I will be back later tonight, Kenshin." She turned and nearly ran out the door.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((()))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))

A/N: Okay my friends, if you like Saitou, I'm sorry. Please review!