Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Samurai Sushi ❯ Vol 3: Chap 15: Pay Roll ( Chapter 15 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Pay Roll
Now, Amethyst had another problem. It was a common thing among college students. Amethyst needed some money. But, how to get it? Umeko had the perfect solution.
“Get a job,” she said. Amethyst gave her an odd look.
“Huh?” she asked. Her host mother smiled and shook her head.
“You really don't know, do you?” she asked. The girl stared at her. Umeko smirked at her.
“Oh to be young and naïve!” she said. The old woman dropped the paper in front of Amethyst. The Icelandic blinked.
“What's this?” she asked. “I still can't read Kanji.”
“There's an English section right… here,” Umeko said. She turned to the English section. Amethyst went quiet with big eyes.
“What's your excuse now?” the host mother asked. She patted Amethyst on the shoulder and walked off.
“Good luck on your job hunt,” the old woman said. *Sweat drop on Amethyst's head*
“Right…” she mumbled to herself. Here came the job hunt.
Monday:
Amethyst had to report to Umeko every day on her progress. The host mother set out dinner. The Icelandic girl came in. Umeko looked up, smiling.
“Welcome Amethyst-chan,” she said. “How was your day?” The girl sighed. Her host mother frowned.
“No?” she asked. Amethyst flopped down at the table.
“What happened?” her host mother asked. Amethyst glanced at her.
“The boss is an ass,” she said. “He's also a creep.”
“Amethyst.”
“But he was!”
“Amethyst.”
“He kept staring at my tits and ass.”
“That's not appropriate!”
The Icelandic girl shrugged. “But it's true!”
“What happened?”
Amethyst sighed and blew up her bangs. “I went in for the interview. I don't think he was even listening to a word I was saying. His eyes strayed right there.” Amethyst pointed to her heavy chest with her hand. Umeko blinked.
“Where did you apply?” she asked.
“Momo's,” Amethyst replied. Umeko sneered at her.
“That's why,” she said. Amethyst frowned.
“What do you mean?” she asked.
“That's a strip bar!”
“I know.”
“Why did you apply for a job there?”
“I was going for dishwasher in the back.”
*Sweat drop on Umeko's head* You're hopeless, she thought.
Tuesday:
Today's dinner: Curry
Amethyst came in and sighed.
“How was it?” Umeko asked. The girl shook her head.
“What happened?” her host mom asked.
“Boss is a bitch.”
“Amethyst!”
“What? It's true!”
Umeko frowned at her. Amethyst sat back and snorted.
“The whole time she kept talking down to me and glaring at me. I couldn't take it so I left.”
Umeko shook her head.
Wednesday:
Dinner: Rice and miso
Umeko looked at Amethyst. “How was your day?”
The Icelandic girl shook her head. Umeko frowned.
“What now?”
“The boss was racist.”
“Oh Amethyst!”
“I mean it!”
“How?”
“He kept sticking his nose up at me and talking about how much foreigners were taking jobs away from the natives. Plus, I heard him call me a dirty foreign whore under his breath.”
Umeko shook her head.
Thursday:
Dinner: Soba noodles
Umeko prepared for disappointment.
“Well?”
Amethyst shook her head.
Umeko sighed. “What is the problem?”
The girl shook her head. “I don't know. I'm still not good at speaking Japanese, I'm not a people-person, I can't read Japanese too well, and I'm not educated enough. I'm just stuck.”
“Well, what do you like?”
Amethyst thought about that for a moment. “I like manga, writing, computer games, and food.”
“Well, start there.”
Amethyst made a face at her. “You sure about that?”
“It's a start.”
“Okay…”
Friday:
Dinner: Grilled fish
Umeko smiled at Amethyst.
“Well?”
The girl shook her head. Her host mother frowned.
“Why?”
“All the stuff I want is not available.”
“Keep trying.”
“You sure about that?”
Umeko was starting to have doubts herself, but didn't show it, however. “Of course, you will! Don't give up yet!”
Amethyst bit her lower lip. “Okay…”
Umeko smiled. “Good girl.”
The Icelandic girl nodded.
Saturday:
Amethyst came to the last place on her list. Hoshi Manga Shop. She didn't want to come here, get a job, and be stereotyped as a manga/anime geek. She just hated labels. The girl would rather just be her own person. But now, Amethyst had no choice for work.
Okay, she thought. The girl drew in a deep breath and pushed open the door. The guy behind the counter straightened his glasses as he looked up.
“Can I help you?” he asked.
“Are you hiring?” Amethyst asked.
Owari