Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Sano Diaries ❯ Chapter 3

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 03

Another week goes by and Sakura can finally get out of bed. Although she still isn't supposed to be practicing, Sakura has never really been one to listen to advice. Today is different however. Today she is sitting in the house drinking tea with Kaoru. Today she is waiting patiently for Sano to return from town. Sano had promised to bring her back something to help get her mind off not being able to practice.

Sakura: (impatiently) Where is he?! He said he'd be back soon. What's taking him so long anyway?

Kaoru: Sakura…they've only been gone ten minutes

Sakura: Well…I'm gonna go practice until they get back (she gets up)

Kaoru grabs the back of Sakura's kimono and she falls backward. This pattern continues for several minutes until Sakura gives up and continues drinking her tea. Finally the wait is over. Sakura could see Sano and Kenshin walking toward the house.

Sakura: So, what did you get?

Sanosuke: (handing her a comic book) Here.

Yahiko walks in.

Yahiko: (spotting the comic book) Cool! I wanna see it!

Sakura: (actually liking the gift) Hey, I've got a better idea. Why don't I read it to you.

Everyone gathers `round while Sakura starts to read. The comic was about a martial arts tournament where people from all different fighting styles went to compete. When Sakura got to the part about the ninja who could use different pressure point techniques to render an opponent unconscious or even kill them, Kenshin's and Sanosuke's eyes widened. Kenshin thinks back to Sakura's fight with Okano. [I wonder, that last move she did…her kick didn't seem strong enough to bring him down…but…could it be…has Sakura really mastered this ancient technique…?]

Yahiko: Cool! Are there really people who can do that?

Kaoru: Don't be silly Yahiko! That's impossible.

Kenshin and Sano just look at each other.

Sakura: Actually sis, I wouldn't be too sure of that. I have heard stories that assassins such as these once lived in the shadows only coming out to kill.

Yahiko: Cool! Tell me more.

Sakura: Well, you better hope you never come across one, because all it took was one touch in the right spot and just like that you were dead.

Yahiko: Wow!

Sakura finishes the comic book. Yahiko and Kaoru go about their business, but Sanosuke and Kenshin's minds are plagued by questions they don't have the answers too.

Kenshin: Sakura, I too have heard of those who could use pressure point techniques to take out an opponent with one touch…but I was unaware of anyone who could use such techniques in modern times.

Sakura: (becoming a bit defensive) Uh, hey I didn't say that those people were still around. You know I was just trying to entertain Yahiko.

Kenshin: Then tell me, how is it that you managed to beat Okano?

Sakura's eyes widen. Sanosuke is in shock as he realizes where Kenshin is headed.

Kenshin: I noticed that you put almost all of your strength into that last kick. But you held back a little, why? That kick wasn't nearly strong enough to knock him out, but a few seconds later he was unconscious. Then I realized, that kick must have only been meant to distract him. You needed to get to his pressure points in order to end the fight, and up until that point they had been too well guarded.

Sakura: (wide-eyed) Amazing. Everything Kaoru said about you is true. You're right. The pressure point techniques are part of the secret techniques of the Tendo style. Only a few even know about them. I spent the last two years mastering these techniques in hopes of being able to finally beat Okano once and for all. Even after mastering these techniques, they are only used as a last resort. As you probably already know Kenshin, it is a fine line between unconsciousness and death. I do not take this skill lightly. In my fight against Okano I knew it was the only way. Excuse me. (she gets up and leaves)

Sanosuke: (chasing after her) Wait! Sakura… Let me walk with you.

They walk a long way in silence. Back at the house…

Kaoru: Kenshin, what's wrong?

Kenshin: Your sister has suffered greatly over the last few years. I sensed her pain.

Sano and Sakura keep walking…finally Sanosuke gets up the courage to ask the question that he is afraid he already knows the answer to.

Sanosuke: Sakura…I was wondering…about what you said…

Sakura: Stop. I already know what you are going to ask me. Let me explain. The Tendo fighting style is meant to protect people. Only those who have mastered this style are allowed to learn its secret techniques. Although we use these techniques to save people, some of the techniques we borrowed were not always used that way. The pressure point technique is one of them. If this technique is preformed improperly, the result is death. In order to master this technique we must first learn how it causes death. We must know the cause of death in order to prevent it. However, it's not that easy. Even knowing that the slightest change in pressure can mean the difference between life and death…

Sano's eyes widen with surprise and concern

Sakura: …you can never really know it until you've felt it.

Sanosuke: (shocked) Sa..ku..ra..

Sakura: (pauses) I'm sorry, Sanosuke. It's not something that I am proud of. I'm lucky I guess, I only did it one time…I'll never forget how that felt. It was one of Okano's men that attacked our dojo. I was so shocked and scared. I couldn't believe what I had done…I almost gave up completely. But then my senses cam back to me. I remembered what I was fighting for and why I had wanted to learn that technique in the first place. I did master that technique…but at a price. Like the "wicked" on your back, this is a part of my past that I will always carry with me.

All of the surprise was gone out of Sano's voice when he spoke. There was only compassion and warmth there.

Sanosuke: Sakura, I believe in the words you said to me…your past made you who you are today. (grabbing both of her hands in his and looking deep into her eyes) Sakura, I'm glad we met…

Just when they both felt that there was something strong between them…

Thug 1: Hand over your money and no one gets hurt

They were surrounded by a group of about ten thugs. One of them grabbed Sakura and held a knife to her neck.

Thug 1: I said hand it over!