Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Sano Diaries ❯ Chapter 4

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 04

Recap from Chapter 03

Thug 1: Hand over your money and no one gets hurt

They were surrounded by a group of about ten thugs. One of them grabbed Sakura and held a knife to her neck.

Thug 1: I said hand it over!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Sanosuke: You jerks! I'm not letting you get away with this.

Sano starts fighting and while Sakura's captor is distracted she is able to over power him with a swift kick to the face.

Sakura: Boy did you pick the wrong people to mess with!

Sakura and Sano easily took out all of the thugs. Well, all except for the one who managed to escape unnoticed. The one who escaped made it back to the hideout to report on what he saw. He told the leader that he saw a girl who was wearing the crest of the Tendo school. The leader looked very interested indeed…

------------------------------------

Back at the fight…

Sanosuke: (with one foot on the guy's neck) Tell me, who are you working for.

Thug 2: Why should we tell you anything!

Sanosuke smiles and plunges his heal into the guy's neck.

Thug 2: (gasping for air) Ok, ok I'll talk…We were all hired by Koyama Daisuke to cause chaos in the city. He uses the money we steal to buy more fighters.

Sakura: Why? Why does he want to cause so much chaos?

Thug 2: He wants to show how weak the Meiji government really is. While their forces are busy trying to keep peace in the streets he plans to take his strongest men and overthrow the government.

Sano and Sakura stare at each other with wide eyes.

Sanosuke: (to Sakura) We have to tell Kenshin!

Sanosuke and Sakura run back to the dojo.

------------------------------------

As they arrive at the dojo they immediately spot Kenshin and call out to him in unison.

Sanosuke and Sakura: Kenshin!

Sanosuke: Kenshin, we just learned that a group of fighters is being hired to cause chaos in town while the leaders main goal is to overthrow the government.

Sakura: We have to stop them Kenshin, a lot of innocent people are going to get hurt!

Kenshin: I agree. Do you know where their hideout is?

Sanosuke: No, but the guys who attacked us should be in custody by now.

Kenshin: I'll go talk to the police chief.

Sanosuke: I'm coming too!

Kenshin and Sano run off.

Kaoru: Sakura…? Did you fight too? Are you alright?

Sakura: Yeah, don't worry about me. I'm fine.

Kaoru noticed a slight limp as Sakura walked to her bedroom.

Kaoru: (softly) Sakura-chan…

When Sakura got to her room she noticed a note on her pillow…it was addressed "To the one who wears the Tendo crest". [What is this?] She read the note to herself "Your fighting style intrigues me. Please meet me behind the abandoned temple. Koyama."

Sakura: Koyama… [I can't get anyone else involved in this. I have to go alone…]

Sakura changes into her martial arts uniform and sneaks out of her window. She quickly makes her way to the abandoned temple. As Sakura arrives she barely has time to dodge an arrow that was aimed at her head.

Koyama: Very good. Though I'm still not completely convinced that you have earned that crest from the Tendo school. Make a believer out of me.

Koyama starts attacking her. Sakura's speed seems impossible to match and she is able to block every blow of his.

Koyama: (stopping the fight) Impressive I must say! (claps) You really have mastered the Tendo style. Forgive me for attacking you, but I had to test your strength.

Sakura: Test my strength?

Koyama: Yes. I believe that you would be a great asset to us. The rewards will be plenty if you decide to join our group.

Sakura: (coldly) Never. The Tendo style was meant to protect people. All your plan will accomplish is the loss of innocent lives!

Koyama: I will not take no for an answer!

The real battle between Koyama and Sakura begins.

------------------------------------

Back at the house Kenshin and Sano return.

Kaoru: Kenshin, what did you guys find out?

Kenshin: There is more to this than we at first thought. Although those thugs answer to Koyama, the real leader is someone named Akiyama Hotori. The only one who is allowed to see or talk to him is Koyama, so we must find him first.

Sanosuke: Kaoru get Sakura and Yahiko we need to leave now.

Kaoru goes to Sakura's room and finds herself speechless when she discovers that Sakura is missing. Sanosuke walks up behind her.

Sanosuke: What is it? (realizing that Sakura is gone) What's going on around here! (noticing a crumpled note on her bed) What's that? (picking up the note and reading it) "Your fighting style intrigues me. Please meet me behind the abandoned temple. Koyama." That idiot! She went alone!

Kenshin: It's a trap.

Everyone stares at Kenshin in shock. Then they quickly head for the abandoned temple, hoping its not too late.

Back at the fight Sakura is obviously winning. She has been able to dodge or block almost all of Koyama's blows, whereas he has not been so lucky. However, both fighters are getting tired and anything can happen. Sakura's limp is worsening. She sees her friends running toward the battle. [urg…what are they doing here?! I didn't want to get them involved.] Just then she gets hit in the stomach and hits the ground hard.

Koyama: Will you reconsider my offer?

Sakura: (getting to her feet) NEVER!

The fighting resumes as everyone arrives. Sakura's blows keep getting stronger and faster. Koyama is on his knees.

Koyama: I will not take no for an answer.

As Koyama looks into the trees, a poisoned dart suddenly hits Sakura in the side of the neck.

Sakura: Wha- (she falls to the ground, unconscious)

Three of Koyama's goons jump out of the trees. One immediately picks up Sakura and runs off. The other two goons follow the first with Kenshin chasing after them.

Sanosuke: Sakura! NO! (looking at Koyama) Where are they taking her?!

Koyama: Someplace where they can change her mind.

Sanosuke: You'll pay!

Koyama: (getting to his feet) What are you going to do? I can tell that you are no stronger that that girl. How are you going to stop me?

Sanosuke: Try me!

Sano punches and misses.

Koyama: You'll have to do better than that.

Sanosuke gets even angrier. His eyes are blazing with rage. Kaoru and Yahiko have never seen Sano this mad before. This time he doesn't miss. Sano is faster than ever and he is not holding back. All he can think about is killing this guy. He just keeps on punching and punching until…

Kaoru and Yahiko: STOP!!!!!! Sanosuke!!!!!!

He stops mid-punch, breathing heavily. His eyes widen as he realizes that he almost beat this guy to death.

Kaoru: Sano you can't…I know you want to get Sakura back, we all do. But killing this guy isn't going to accomplish that! You just have to trust in Kenshin now.

Sanosuke: Damn it! I feel so helpless. Damn it! (he slams his fist into the ground making it explode)

------------------------------------

Kenshin is still chasing after the three henchmen. He catches up to the last two and takes them out easily. He is about to catch up to the one who has Sakura, when he suddenly stops. The guy was standing on the middle of a bridge holding Sakura's limp body over the side.

Goon 1: Set one foot on this bridge and she dies.

Kenshin's eyes widen with terror. [What can I do? There has to be something.] Kenshin stands there, staring at the guy holding Sakura by the back of the neck. Waiting for a chance. Any chance.