Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Sano Diaries ❯ Chapter 12

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 12 - Family Vacation

2 Months after the fight in Akiyama's base…

------------------------------------

Kaoru had been saving some money and now that Kenshin and Sano were feeling better she thought it was time for a little vacation. Sakura had also been teaching lessons to earn some money and help with the expenses. Come to think of it, it was BECAUSE of Sakura that they all needed a vacation. Every since Sakura came back into her life there hasn't been a whole lot of rest for anyone. Oh well, it was always like that wasn't it? Every time they gained a new friend, drama inevitably ensued. Now the drama had died down, everyone was well, and it was time for a nice long vacation.

The gang decided they wanted to go to Osaka by boat. That would be a nice relaxing way to travel, unless Kaoru and Yahiko got sick again. They were just going to have to make the best of it. Everyone got ready and boarded the ship the next morning. As it turns out Kaoru and Yahiko did get sick, but they got over it by the third night. The fourth night on board the group was having dinner on the deck when an unexpected wave crashed onto the boat sweeping many people overboard, Sakura included. Sanosuke immediately jumped in after her. A storm broke seemingly out of nowhere. Waves were continually crashing against the boat and rain was coming down hard.

Kaoru: Sakura! …sis…

Kenshin: (grabbing Kaoru) Come on we have to get inside!

Kaoru: (looking at Kenshin with wide eyes) But…

Kenshin: We have to trust that they will be alright. There is nothing we can do for them now, that there isn't.

So Kaoru hesitantly allowed herself to be led into the lower areas of the ship where they would be safe from the storm [hopefully]. Yahiko was waiting for them with blankets.

Yahiko: (surprised to only see the two of them) Hey, where are Sano and Sakura ?

------------------------------------

Sakura saw Sanosuke jump in and she reached for him. Sano extended his arm and was finally able to grab Sakura by the wrist. Then, before Sakura could grab Sano with her other hand a huge wave swept over them. Sakura was slammed into a large rock that jutted out of the ocean. She opened her mouth to scream but only swallowed water instead. The next thing she knew, she was lying on the beach. Sano was kneeling over her protecting her face from the harsh rain.

Sakura: Wha…? (just then she felt the pain in her head and back and she grimaced)

Sanosuke: That bad huh?

Sakura: (she looked into his eyes and smiled) I've had worse.

Sanosuke: We need to find shelter until this storm passes. It looks like there is a cave in those rocks (pointing to the middle of a huge rock structure a few feet away) are you up for it?

Sakura: Lets go.

Sanosuke helped her up and she noticed a dark bruise on her right wrist. [Where did that come from?] Then her memory came flooding back. That is the wrist Sano had a hold of. When she got slammed into the rock she saw him in front of her. He must have held on tighter, so as not to lose her. Sakura was overcome with emotion at the thought and hugged Sanosuke tight. She could not deny her feelings any longer. She loved him. Sano was surprised by the hug, but not unpleasantly. He lightly hugged her back, careful not to put too much pressure on her sore back. When Sakura loosened her grip they started to make their way up the treacherous rock formation. Climbing rocks in the rain was no easy task, but Sakura's training had helped her to endure any situation. She guessed that Sanosuke was that way by nature.

About half way up they did find a cave and decided to enter.

Sanosuke: There, this should be a good place to dry off and wait for the storm to pass.

They went inside and started a fire.

Sakura: Umm, we need to let our close dry off.

Sanosuke: (feeling his cheeks burn momentarily) I know… I won't look.

Sakura nodded and turned around. She stripped to her underwear and Sano did the same. Then they just sat there with their backs to the fire. Outside the wind howled and rain splashed near the entrance of the cave. Yet still, they sat in silence. Sano sat there practically numb from his thoughts. [How did this happen? Are the others alright? Are Sakura's wounds ok? When I saw her wrist I… I can't believe I did that to her…] Sano stole a glance in Sakura's direction and mentally grimaced when he saw the bruises and gashes on her back. He looked away.

Sanosuke: Ummo…?

Sakura: (startled out of her own thoughts, turning to face him) What is it?

Sanosuke: (still looking away) Um… I didn't mean to, but um… your back, it looks pretty bad. You should let me treat you.

Sakura: (redness filling her cheeks) uh…I…uh…its not that bad (she protested)

Sanosuke: …at least let me clean your wounds for you, you can't even reach them.

Sakura: (feeling embarrassed and helpless at the same time, trying to deny her injuries once again) but…it's not…

Sanosuke: (cutting her off) I won't take no for an answer. Lay on your stomach.

Sakura did this without further protest. Sano got up, tore some cloth from his pants, and soaked up some rainwater in it. Then he went over to clean off Sakura's wounds. They were not as bad as he initially thought but they still needed to be cleaned. Sano quietly treated her wounds and Sakura silently let him. When he was done, Sano went back across the fire and laid down for sleep.

Sakura: (quietly) Thank you.

Sanosuke: You're welcome.

That was the end of their conversation. It seems they both had a lot of thinking to do. Just as Sakura was dozing off she thought she heard something, but she couldn't quite make out what it was. She looked over at Sano and saw that he had his head cocked to the side as if he was trying to listen to something. Sakura looked back to the entrance to the cave. That's where the sound had to be coming from. It was getting a little louder now. I was a soft sloshing sound. Sakura and Sanosuke stared in wonderment as a small figure appeared in the opening of the cave. The small figure collapsed almost as soon as it was inside the cave. Sakura jumped up and ran over to what turned out to be a small child. This little girl somehow managed to climb up to the cave in the pouring rain. Sano, who was still in shock, stayed put. Sakura came back to the fire with the young girl in her arms. This girl could not have been more than eight years old. What was she doing here all by herself? Sakura kneeled by the fire and the girl opened her eyes.

Girl: Who…who are you?

Sakura: (smiling warmly) I am Sakura and that is Sanosuke. We got thrown off of our ship when the storm hit.

Girl: (sneezing) Achoo! I'm Miaka. Achoo!

Sakura: Well Miaka, we need to get you dried off. (sets her down close to the fire)

Sano throws his shirt to Sakura. She sees that he has already put his pants back on.

Sanosuke: She can wear this, it's pretty dry.

Sakura helps Miaka out of her wet clothes and wraps Sano's shirt around her. Then she puts her own clothes back on, which were almost completely dry. After laying out Miaka's clothes on a rock near the fire Sakura returns to her side.

Sakura: Do you feel any better now?

Miaka: Yes, thank you. The storm hit so suddenly I didn't know where else to go. I always come to play in this cave when I am sad or lonely. I love coming to this side of the island to play…

Sakura and Sanosuke's eyes met…

Sakura: (hopefully) Do you live around here?

Miaka: Yes. I live on the other side of the island. Usually my older brother and I come here together, but I was mad at him today so I left the house when no one was looking. I was so mad that I just ran and ran. When the storm hit I realized that I was more than halfway here so I kept going. I knew that I would be safe if I made it to this cave.

Sanosuke: Wow kid, your parents must be worried.

Miaka: …I guess…

Sakura: Don't worry Miaka, we'll take you back as soon as the storm lets up. (putting her hand on Miaka's shoulder)

Miaka hugged Sakura around the waist and fell asleep in that position. When she was sure that Miaka was sound asleep Sakura removed the arm that was around her back and laid Miaka on her side. Sakura then lay on her own side and put and arm around Miaka. Sano laid across the fire from them. A smile lit his face as he thought, how sweet they looked. [Wow, Sakura is a natural with kids.] With the smile still lingering on his lips Sanosuke fell asleep.

When Sano opened his eyes the next day he realized that it had stopped raining. He also realized that the last time he had eaten anything was almost twenty-four hours ago. The girls were still sound asleep so Sano quietly tiptoed around them. Sano went to the mouth of the cave and sat down. The sun was brilliant. He had to shield his eyes at first. When Sano's eyes adjusted to the light he realized that they must have really slept in. Judging by the position of the sun it was almost noon. He looked back over his shoulder at the ladies and decided to give them a few more minutes.

Miaka woke up feeling an incredible warmth. She looked up and realized that Sakura had held her all night. Miaka put her arms around Sakura and hugged her tight. Sakura screamed and Miaka shrunk back, alarmed. Sakura quickly realized what happened and explained about her wounds to Miaka. Miaka gave her a much more gentle hug this time and then put her own clothes on. Sakura was extremely sore. It hurt to move, let alone walk, but Sakura had to grin and bear it. They needed to take Miaka home and find out what happened to the ship; what happened to their friends.

The three of them set out for Miaka's village hoping to return Mika to her family and to find word of their friends.