Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Sano Diaries ❯ Chapter 13

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Chapter 13 - Bliss and Tragedy

During the storm the ship that Kenshin, Kaoru, and Yahiko were on had been able to dock at the nearest port. They ended up in a little village called Kyukoku. All three of them shared a room at the local inn and wondered what could have happened to Sakura and Sanosuke.

The next morning Yahiko was up bright and early. He said he wanted to explore the village and off he went. Kaoru was so sick with worry that she couldn't get out of bed. Kenshin brought her some breakfast, kissed her lightly on the forehead, and told her he was going to ask around for any word of Sano and Sakura. With that he left. Kaoru lay in bed hoping for the best but thinking the worst.

--------------------------

Miaka walked between Sanosuke and Sakura holding their hands. Every now and then she would skip happily along the beach picking up seashells and throwing them back in the water. Then finally a small village became visible.

Miaka: That's it! That's my village! Let's go!

Miaka dashed toward the buildings in the horizon. Sakura and Sanosuke looked at each other exhausted. Neither had the energy to run. They quickened their pace just enough to not lose sight of Miaka, but that was all they could muster. Sano could tell that Sakura was in a lot of pain and that she was obviously trying to hide it. He wished there was something he could do.

Once they reached the edge of town they realized that their first estimate had been mistaken. The village was actually quite large. Miaka was standing in front of one of the houses that bordered this breathtaking village. When Sakura and Sano came close enough Miaka opened the door and greeted her parents.

Miaka: MOM!!!!! DAD!!!!! I'M HOME!!!!!

Miaka's mother came to the door with a mixed expression of confusion, anger, and relief. She picked up Miaka and smothered her with kisses. It wasn't until she put her down that she noticed the two strangers at the door. Without warning she hugged them both and ushered them into the house. Sakura and Sanosuke told their story of how they got thrown off the ship and found the cave. They also told the story of how they came upon Miaka and took care of her. Miaka's mother would not let Sakura or Sano leave without feeding them a huge meal. It was finally time to go, Miaka and her family wished them luck in finding their friends. They said their goodbyes and Sano and Sakura set out to find the others.

------------------------------------

Sano and Sakura walked along silently for a while, then Sano stopped and turned to her.

Sanosuke: Sakura, you were really great with her.

Sakura: (slightly blushing) Really? I'm just glad we could return her safely to her parents.

Sanosuke: (gently grabbing both of Sakura's hands in his) Sakura…

Sanosuke looked deeply into Sakura's eyes and he felt at peace. He knew at that moment he would do anything for her. He knew he loved her. Sano leaned forward and gently kissed Sakura's soft lips. Sakura was pleasantly surprised and the kiss lasted for what seemed like a blissful eternity. Then out of nowhere they heard a familiar, yet annoying voice.

Yahiko: Ew!!!! What are you guys doing back there? You were smooching weren't you! Gross!

Sanosuke calmly walked over to Yahiko, punched him in the head, and walked away with his hands in his pockets and his head down.

Sakura stood there paralyzed. [Did that actually happen? Did we really just kiss…?] All the feeling went out of Sakura's legs as she slid down the wall of the alley they had been standing in. As Sakura sat on the dusty ground she didn't notice the pain in her back, she didn't notice that Sano was gone, she didn't notice the little boy pulling her hair…wait a minute…

SMACK!!!

Yahiko: OW!!!! What's wrong with you??? I was just trying to get your attention.

Sakura: Huh?

Sakura's senses came rushing back to her at once. The first person she saw was Yahiko and he had a red handprint on the side of his face. She had just enough time to think, [I wonder how that got there?] before the pain came screaming back.

Sakura: Owww!!!! (doubled over in pain)

Yahiko: (not sure what to do) Um… Sakura, what's wrong…?

Sakura could no longer deny her pain. Whatever methods she had been using to suppress it were no longer working. She did not think she could stand, much less walk.

Sakura: (painfully) It's… my back…

Yahiko could see that fresh blood had begun to soak the back of her shirt. [Oh man, what am I gonna do?]

Yahiko: Can you walk? I can help you back to the inn.

As Yahiko tried to help Sakura up she screamed in pain. This made his whole body tremble and he practically dropped her. Instead he set her gently on ground. [I can't do this on my own I need to get help.]

Yahiko: Wait here, I'm gonna go get Kenshin.

Sakura muttered something that was close enough to an agreement and Yahiko took off running. [Man, where did Sano run off to at a time like this?] He kept running.

------------------------------------

Sano was sitting in a local restaurant drinking tea when he saw Yahiko run past. [It's always something with that kid.] Little did he know that Sakura was in danger. Sano was absorbed in his own thoughts and he figured he would meet up with everyone later.

------------------------------------

Sakura had passed out from the overwhelming amount of pain in her back. She lay sprawled out on the dirt in an alley in the village of Kyukoku. As Sakura lay unconscious in the alley, she wasn't alone. Someone, or something lingered in the shadows.

------------------------------------

Yahiko had been running so fast he felt as if his legs would fall off. The inn was finally in sight. [Kenshin will know what to do.] Yahiko reaches the inn and runs up to the room only to discover Kaoru… alone and asleep.

Yahiko: (shaking Kaoru to wake her up) WAKE UP!!!!!!

Kaoru: Huh? What is it…?

Yahiko: (panting, trying desperately to catch his breath) Sa…kura… alley… needs… help…

Kaoru: (gasping) Come on!

Kaoru grabs the little boy's arm and practically drags him out of the inn.

Kaoru: Where is she?!

They run back to the alley where Sakura was left. Kaoru couldn't believe that the guys were nowhere to be found. She would have a bone to pick with them later.

---------------------------------------

When the coast was clear, the creature from the shadows quickly snatched up Sakura and carried her off to his master. The day was turning into dusk and what should have been a happy reunion was slowly turning into a horrible tragedy.