Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Saving Grace ❯ Random Akwardness and Hard Feelings ( Chapter 6 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I don't own the Kenshin characters but all original characters and the story line are mine.

Author's Notes:
Fanfic fan girl - Thanks for the comments. Yeah Tai and Raven aren't very close. Thank chibi the real Tai and Raven aren't that bad. Thanks again for reviewing.

Chapter Six
: Random Akwardness and Hard Feelings

'Such beautiful hair,' Yuki thought her hands twitching. She had been stealing glances at Kenshin all through breakfast and she wanted so bad to brush away the crimson bangs that had fallen in to his eyes. 'Scarlet, the color of passion and blood. His eyes, they are so gentle. If not for what Sirius told me I could never believe this man could be the great hitokiri Battousai. I wonder what it would be like to spend some time alone with him.' Yuki grinned. 'Karou is so lucky.' Suddenly violet eyes were looking at her and she turned away barly keeping herself from blushing. 'Thank Kami he can't see in to my head.'

Coming back to the real world Yuki heard Jynx and Aya whispering and giggling. 'I wonder what they're up to. I'll get it out of them after breakfast.' she thought. She turned her head and saw Raven and Tai glaring dangerously at each other over Momo, who was too busy stuffing his face to notice.

"Kenshin-san, Yuki likes you." Aya's clear voice suddenly rang out.

Doubarou had been keeping an eye on Tai and Raven when Aya made her announcement. He had seen Yuki looking rather intensely at Kenshin, he had also seen her grin and knew exactly what she had to be thinking, so when he had heard Aya he had instantly whipped around to look at Yuki, who was bright red and choking. Kenshin was soon at her side patting her on the back.

"Oh my! Are you alright?!" he asked. Yuki just turned a deeper red.

When she finally stopped coughing Doubarou was sure she would slap Aya but instead she merely gasped out an apology. "I'm sorry Kenshin-san, I..."

"Don't be sorry, I like you too," Kenshin said. Soma heard Raven start to choke. Yuki's eyes looked like they were going to pop out. "You're a very nice girl. I hope that we can become good friends," Kenshin added patting her back again. Soma started to snort with laughter but stopped when he saw Doubarou glare. Yuki was bright red and looked completely horrified at what had just taken place.

Tai rolled her eyes, 'Stupid Drama Queens.' Abruptly she stood and walked out flicking Raven in the head as she passed. 'Got you again, Baka.'

After everyone finished eating and the dishes were clean they all went thier seperate ways. Soma took Momo out to try and teach him to meditate. Jynx got ahold of Yahiko and tried to teach him a game she'd made up. He tried to escape but she clung like a leech. Aya was layed down for a nap while Yuki and Doubarou tried to keep themselves busy trading insults.

Kenshin was worried. Karou was going to the market alone with Raven. He wanted to stop her, but the tone she had used when she said goodbye told him there would be no argument. So his Karou and some strange boy were going out in to the city alone.
************************************************************ ***************

Tai watched them leave. She glared at Raven's back hoping he would catch fire. "Stupid jerk," she growled whe he finally was out of sight. He had jumped at the chance to leave the dojo which meant he was up to something. "I'll find out what you're planning you little bastard." Hoping the movement would calm her, Tai drew her sword and began to run through her practice stances. 'I hate this place.' her mind screamed as she slashed through the air. Her body moved fast with strength and grace.

"How dare Sirius leave me here with the rest of them. How dare he leave me to be looked after like some foolish child." her eyes narrowed as she made one final slash. She stood quietly, her breath coming in quick pants. She growled deep in her throat. 'I am the strongestone. He left me behind because he doesn't trust me. He's just like the rest. He still blames me.'

"You're very graceful," a voice said pulling her out of her thoughts. She whirled around ready to tear someones head off for interupting her. Instead of the green she'd been expecting she was met with hard violet ones. She blinked a moment before baring her teeth and staring him down all the time wondering what had happened to make Kenshin's eyes so cold.
***************************************

Kenshi n had been going to get water when he was her. Tai moved through stance after stance with quick dicipline and efficientcy. Each one became more and more complicated but she never faultured. Her movements seemed detached and peaceful, like she wasn't slashing an insturment of death but dancing. 'She moves like one who has never stained her hands.' Kenshin thought. Then he saw her face. Her eyes flashed a pale green, her face was emotionless and concentrated. She found no joy or meaning in what she did. She did it only because it needed to be done. He saw a shadow of his former self in her eyes and knew that under the carefuly controled mask she held a torrent of emotion.

'What has happened to make her this way?' Kenshin thought as she made her final slash. He watched her as she stood there, her hair falling from her bun to frame her face. 'She looks like an avenging angel.' Suddenly he heard Tai growl deep and feral. "You're very graceful," he said suddenly.

Immediatly she whirled around, her eyes flashing as she tightened her grip on her sword. Kenshin almost reached for his own blade, but stopped himself. Tai stared at him, her teeth bared like an animal. Her eyes were narrowed but empty. They stood still for what seemed like an eternity before Tai turned away and resheathed her sword. "Thank you for saying so Himura-san," she said. Her voice was rougher then usual.

"It's true. You move like one well versed in the way of the sword." Tai merely grunted in response. She was still turned away from him absently brushing herself off. "Did Sirius-san teach you?"

"No!" she ground out in a low voice. "Where are you going with this Himura-san?"

Kenshin was silent, thinking of how to continue. "You hold your sword with great skill and determination, but I wonder if you would truly use it. Do you understand what it means to use your sword against another? Are you really ready for the weight of anothers life? Killing is not the right..." Kenshin started to explain. Suddenly there was a hand grabbing his throat. Tai had moved fast and silent. Kenshin hadn't even had time to blink before she was standing only inches from him, her eyes flashing with rage.

"Who are you to speak to me of such things like the wrongs of killing. Were you not once the hitokiri Battousai? Was it not you who took the lives of hundreds of warriors? You created this era with blood, pain, and death." she growled dangerously. Kenshin shivered as her warm breath brushed his face. Her eyes were a pale green and she stared at him like a predater. Abruptly Tai released him. "I know much about death Himura-san. I don't need you to explain it to me," she hissed acidicly before she stalked off.
*********************************************

Soma was very proud of Momo. The little boy had managed to make it through two hours of breathing, stretching, and sitting. He was starting to get antsy now, of course, but Soma didn't mind. "You ready to stop for today?" he asked his eyes still closed.

"Yeah, I want to go see what Yahiko and Jynx are doing," the boy told him.

"Go ahead. You did a very good job today," Soma complimented as Momo ran off. 'So much energy,' Soma thought sighing 'but he's not the only one. From the sounds I've heard coming from across the yard Tai is feeling pretty energetic as well.' Soma streatched a stood. 'I should probably go check on her. She's in a bad mood and I'd hate for her to break something of Karou-san's.' Suddenly he noticed that things had quieted dwon and he hurried to see if something was wrong. 'Please don't let her have broken something.' he prayed.

Soma sighed in relief when he saw Tai and Kenshin talking quietly. Everything seemed to be in one piece and there wasn't any blood. He was turning to leave when he saw her grab Kenshin.

"Who are you to speak of such things, like the wrongs of killing? Were you not once the hitokiri Battousai? Was it not you who took the lives of hundreds of warriors? You created this era with blood, pain, and death."

Soma clenched his fists. 'What is she going to do?' Suddenly she let go, he couldn't hear what she said next but she looked very angry. Once she was out of sight Soma stepped out from behind the tree he had hid behind. Kenshin looked shell shocked. He didn't even blink when Soma came near. "I'm sorry Kenshin-san." Soma said quietly.

The older man blinked a few times as though he was trying to get his bearings. Finally he focused on Soma. "Why are you sorry?"

Soma sighed, his head down. His golden hair had fallen from it's binding to shadow his face. "For Tai. I heard some of what she said and I'm sorry. She gets frustrated. Some things happened along time ago that makes her the way she is. It's because of there things that Sirius will not teach her the way of the Origami sword, even though he has taught me, Yuki, Doubarou, and will teach it to Raven and the others when they're older. It causes her great pain to be excluded though she will never admit it." Soma told him. His voice was rough with old pain.

"Why won't Sirius-san teach her?" Kenshin asked, his curiosity getting the better of him.

Soma looked up at him. His green eyes looked glassy with a deep hurt. "I..." he began but never got a chance to finnish.

Kenshin jumped when heard a scream. 'Karou!' his mind screamed, urging him forward as he ran to her. He could feel his instincts taking over, no one would hurt his Karou.

*****************************************************
Karou sighed in relief, she was glad the dojo was finally insight. She looked quickly at Raven, he was reaching inside his haori agian, like he was checking for something. He'd been doing that for awhile, ever since they'd left the Englishman's store. She'd gone in to find good cotton for Yahiko's shatsu. While she was in buying material she'd seen Raven looking intently at small sacks of black powder, but he didn't say anything about it so Karou let it go as basic curiosity. It wasn't until they had left the store that she noticed Raven kept reaching into his haori. He also became agitated and jumpy, and twitched whenever anyone came near.

'What's up with him?' Karou wondered 'Could he have...no. He wouldn't steal.' Karou chided herself for thinking bad about the boy. 'I have no reason or proof to think that about him. It's still strange though.' At first it hadn't really bothered her, but now after two hours of him ignoing her and twitching she was starting to get annoyed. At least once they got inside he wouldn't be her resposibility anymore.

Karou looked over at him again. His hair was much lighter then the others, it was almost white. It hung down his back in a long curtian. Karou's hand twitched, she really wanted to touch it. 'Maybe one of the little ones will let me brush their hair later,' she smiled 'So cute...' Karou was so ingrossed in her thoughts that she didn't notice how Raven stiffened with they intered the dojo. She did notice the enraged growl that eruped from Tai's throat as she tackled Raven and started to hit him.