Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Saving Grace ❯ Settling In ( Chapter 5 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the Kenshin characters but all original characters and the story line are mine.


Chapter five: Settling In

"Well here's your room," Karou said cheerfully, opening the door to a plain room with two futons. Soma raised his eyebrows. "We weren't sure how many were coming," Karou explained. "I can just drag out a few more futons."

"Please allow us," Soma said as he and Doubarou went to assist her. They soon found out that no matter what they did they could barely squeeze in four futons.

"Well, I suppose we could set you up in the practice hall." Karou said her brow furrowed in frustration.

"Don't trouble yourself please. You have already done much for us, Miss uhh..." Soma started.

At first Karou didn't understand his heisitation. Then it came to her, she had never introduced herself. "I'm sorry. I've forgotten my manners. I am Kamiya Karou, owner of the dojo. The boy is Myojin Yahiko, my student, the tall man is Sagara Sanosuke, and you already know Kenshin."

"Are you and Himura-san married?" Aya blurted out. The words were barely out of her mouth before Jynx pinged her in the back and hissed "Of course they're married. If they weren't she'd be a tramp. Sirius said..." Yuki quickly covered both of thier mouths.

Karou was blushing furiouly. Yahiko and Sano could barely supress their laughter and Kenshin could only stand there and stare. "Sorry about that Kamiya-san. Sometimes their mouths go faster then thier brains." Yuki said hoping to difuse the situation, but before she could say anything Momo was pointing at Kenshin's face asking "Where did you get that cool scar? Can I get one?" The room was suddenly very quiet.

Soma could see a deep sadness come into Kenshin's eyes. 'We haven't even been here an hour and already we've managed to offend them. What can I do to make this better?' Before he could think if something Tai had already taken control of the situation.

"You three should be ashamed of yourselves. It was very rude to ask such personal questions when we have only just met. I suggest you apologize." she reprimanded. Her cold voice made Yahiko shiver. The three offenders mumbled thier apologies before she continued. "Do not trouble yourself about the bedding Kamiya-san. We can share. Jynx and Aya will take the left middle one, Doubarou and Soma will have the middle right, Taven and Momo will have the far one, and Yuki and I will take the one by the door." Tai barked with quick efficientcy.

"Why should I have to share a bed with that stupid little brat?" Raven yelled getting in Tai's face.

Her eyes narrowed as she bared her teeth. "If anyone is stupid it's you, and you're going to share because I said so," she growled. " Now get out of my face before I bite your stupid nose off."

Raven backed up a bit, but kept arguing. "Well, who are you to order me around? You aren't the oldest, you aren't out leader. You can't just do what ever you want because of what happened!"

Yuki gasped, "How could he bring that up now? We'll be lucky if we avoid blood shed now.'

Kenshin heard Yuki gasp and he saw the emotions that passed over the girl's face. Fear and saddness. Tai stood still and rigid, her fists were balled and she was grinding her teeth. Her narowed eyes were dialated and darkened to a deep forest green. Raven was pale and he shifted nervously. He was unsure of what would happen now that his mouth had run away from him again. The tension was thick and no one moved. Then slowly Tai seemed to relax and everyone breathed a sigh of relief.

Karou cleared her throat. "So have any of you eaten yet?" she asked quietly. Aya's stomach growled loudly. "I guess not. Kenshin why don't you start breakfast and Yahiko, you should go ahead and start practicing"

"Yes Karou-dono." Kenshin said before turning to go.

"May I help you Himura-san," Soma asked quickly.

At first Kenshin was slightly taken back, but soon he was smiling. " Of course, and please call me Kenshin."

"Yes Kenshin-san."

Momo watched them leave. 'Coward. He always runs away when ever someone brings up what happened.' Suddenly he had an idea. "Hey, can I go watch Yahiko-kun practice. I promise I'll be quiet."

Catching on to the plan Jynx and Aya joined in, "Yeah, we want to go too. We'll be so quiet you won't know we're there. Please can we watch?"

Karou smiled "I suppose if you promise to behave." They all nodded furiously and followed Yahiko out. Sano laughed and went too.

"I'll guess we'll get the room set up." Yuki said as she and Doubarou took off the packs they had been carrying. "Why don't you two help Kamiya-san," she added to Raven and Tai before sliding the door shut.

Both glared at the door before looking to Karou for orders. "There's no need for your help right now, most of the chores are done for the day. Though if one of you would accompany me to the market after breakfast I would be very thankful."

"I will go with you," Raven said quietly before walking off. Tai glared at his back before going the other way.

As soon as they wre gone Doubarou stuck his head out of the door. "Good. I thought they'd never leave," then spotting Karou he opened the door all the way. "Sorry about that. Things just get a little tense whenever Tai and Raven get together."

"I'll say." Yuki agreed stepping out as well.

"Is it always like that?!" Karou asked carefully.

"Now yes. It didn't use to be though," Yuki told her. She seemed like she wanted to say more, but Doubarou stopped her with a shake of his head.

'What's going on here.' Karou wondered as they too, walked away and left her to her thoughts.

************************************************************ ******
Kenshin watched Soma cut the vegtables with sure ans skilled hands. His green eyes were narrowed in concentration and his hair glistened down his back. Hearing a high pitched giggle Kenhin looked outside. Yahiko was trying to practice while Momo copied him and Aya poked him with a stick. Jynx sat near by and tried to braid Sano's hair, Kenshin smiled.

"They are certianly energetic." Soma said softly.

"Yes, they are," Kenshin agreed, turning back to the food he was working with.

"Your hair is an interesting color." Soma said looking at Kenshin thoughtfully.

"I can say the same of yours. I've never seen golden hair before."

"It's one of our family secrets. Everyone in my family has golden hair until the first time they cut it, then it darkens."

Kenshin raised his eyebrows. "How is that possible?"

"No one really knows. That's just what happens. Sirius didn't believe it and cut his hair. It used to be almost white and now it's black as night." They worked in silence for a few moments. "Kamiya-san teaches a sword technique I've never heard of before." Soma commented.

"Yes Kamiya Kasshin Ryu was created by Karou-dono's late father. She hasn't had many students so it isn't well known."

"It is based on katsujin-ken is it not?"

"It is." Kenshin said wondering what Soma was getting at.

"Your style, Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu, is not though."

"No. Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu, is meant only to give death," Kenshin replied shortly. He could feel himself getting defensive.

"Yet you kill no one. Why do you still use Hiten Mitsurugi? Why not use Kamiya Kasshin Ryu?"

"Because my hands are bloody and to do so would stain the ideals of Karou-dono's father!" Kenshin snapped.

"Forgive me, I didn't mean to offend you." Soma mumbled quickly, his head down.

Kenshin took a deep breath. He could not understand why he had snapped like that. "It isn't your fault. I'm sorry for snapping at you," Kenshin said. Then hoping to get the boy talking again he added, " I've heard some strange stories about your brothers technique."

Soma smiled "I assume your talking about how he can supposably make paper cranes come to life and kill people."

Kenshin smiled too. "Yes, I was wondering if you could explain that to me."

Soma stared at him for a moment, sizing him up. "I suppose seeing as how you aren't our enemy, that there would be no harm in it." he said slowly thinking it through before his continued. "It's a mental thing, and speed. Sirius is able to move his blade so fast that the force keeps the crane where it is and holds it together even if it's been slashed. This makes it seem like the crane can't be destroyed. As for it killing people, really all he does is twist his sword which sends the crane into the air, provding a distraction and he kills them."

Kenshin had watched him closly while he had described the technique. The boy talked like one well versed in the ways of his brother's sword. "It sounds complicated."

"It is. It took him years to perfect. It was just as well because no one had ever seen it before and when he became a hitokiri soldiers had no defense against him." Suddenly Soma stopped realizing he had said too much.

'He talkes so easily of his brother killing people.' Kenshin thought, his eyes wide. They stood in tense silence unmoving.

Suddenly they heard a thud, a manic giggle, and the sharp beat of feet pounding to the door. Momo came barreling around the corner. He tried to stop but ended up sliding into the wall. Aya followed him but managed to knock into Soma instead. Yahiko came striding in nursing a bump on the head. "Kenshin those little brats threw a bucket at me," he growled.

"It was an accident Yahiko. They were trying to hit me," Sano said as he came into the kitchen. His hair was filled with tiny scraps of cloth that looked like bows.

Kenshin stared at him. "What did you do to your self?" he asked laughing wildly at the younger man.

"Hey don't laugh. I'm styling." Sano said striking a pose.

"Yeah, isn't it pretty." Jynx asked peeking from behind Sanosuke's leg.

"It's beautiful." Aya told her before her stomach growled again. "Kenshin-san, when are we going to eat?" she whined.

"Sone. Why don't you all go clean up and I"ll set everything outside for us."

"Okay." She chirped skipping outside. Everyone else followed and Kenshin was left alone.