Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Saving Grace ❯ The Arrival ( Chapter 4 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the Kenshin characters but all original characters and the story line are mine.


Chapter 4: The Arrival

The morning dawned cold and gray. Kenshin rubbed his tired eyes, Karou had been furious at the thought of receiving guests with the dojo so messy so she'd kept everyone up half the night mopping, washing, and sweeping. She'd even got Saon to help repair some stuff, under the threat of no more free meals of course. Yahiko was sitting beside him blinking his eyes owlishly, trying to wake up. The boy had been very quiet since he'd heard that Sirius's family would be staying with them, and Kenshin was starting to worry.

"Hey, Kenshin?" Yahiko yawned.

"Hmm?"

"Do you... well is it really sare to let a hitokiri's family come stay with us?"

'So that's what's been bothering him.' Kenshin smiled. "Why wouldn't it be ok? You're part of a hitokiri's family."

"I guess I am.... but you're different." Yahiko said quietly. " What if..."

"Don't worry so much Yahiko. It will be fine." Sano said stretching as he came out on to the porch with them. "When are they suppose to get here anyway?"

"Soon I'd say."

"Why do you say that?"

"Sirius-san seemed some what desperate yesterday. I don't believe he will waste time getting the job done. He will most likely leave when the trains start running which is in about half an hour so they should be here anytime now." Kenshin told them, standing to try and work the knots out of his shoulders and back. "I think I'll go get Karou." he announced.

Yahiko was deep in thoughts of blood and danger when he heard it. The grinding sound of feet on the ground.

"They're coming." Sano said quietly.

"You should go open the gate." Yahiko told him. "I'll go get Kenshin."

"No, he's busy with Jou-chan so I'll go get him. You go open the gate." Sano called over his shoulder as he ran inside.

"Coward!" Yahiko called after him. There was a knock on the gate. Yahiko's mouth was suddenly very dry. His hands felt slick and his stomach was tieing itself in knots. Someone knocked again, louder this time. 'You can do this Yahiko. You can do this.' he thought trying to build up his courage. 'They're no different then me.' He hesitated a moment more trying to get his hands to stop sweating before taking a deep breath and throwing open the gate.

Yahiko's eyes grew wide at the sight before him. Three little golden haired children stood looking up at him. "Oi Yahiko! What are you doing." Sanosuke barked as he came into the yard wiht Kenshin and Karou.

'They're just little kids,' Yahiko thought closing his eyes in relief.

"Hey kid, you going to let us in or what?" a cold voice growled.

Yahiko's eyes flew open and his jaw hit the ground when a girl probably five years older then him stepped around the corner of the gate followed by older boys and another girl. All of them had golden hair and bright green eyes.

"Close your mouth Yahiko." Kenshin whispered as he pulled the young boy out of the way sot thier guests could come in.

************************************************************ **************

Karou could only stare when Sirius entered the yard with eight tall healthy kids at his heels. She noticed that almost all of them were wearing the same shade of dark blue. All the girls but one wore blue kimonos with pink obis and all the boys but one wore blue kimonos and white hakama. The other two wore matching black kimonos and hakama. 'Why would they be different. Is it because they are carrying swords?" Karou wondered.

All the children has long golden hair, the boys wore theirs in low tails and most of the girls wore theirs down. The girl in black had hers pulled back in a tight bun held together by what looked like throwing needles.

"Good morning, Himura-san," Sirius greeted with a small bow.

"Sirius-san, I see you have brought your family."

"Yes, I hope it is still alright if they stay with you." Sirius commented sheepishly.

"Of course"

"I'm glad. Please allow me to introduce them. From oldest to youngest there's my sister Yuki," Sirius began,"my brother Doubarou, my brother Soma," he indicated the boy in black, "my sister Tai, brother Raven, sister Jynx, brother Momo, and last but not least my youngest sister Aya."

As soon as her name was called Aya bowed low and smiled brightly before breaking in to a sudden rambling of gibberish that Kenshin was sure had to be another language. She went on for almost a minute before Raven reached over and pinged her on the back of the head.

"You have to speak Japanese here stupid."

"Don't hit her you big bully." Jynx growled, kicking the older boy in the leg. She may have only been six but she was ferocious.

"Don't kick me you little brat!" Raven yelled punching her in the arm.

"Leave her alone!" Aya screamed as she tackled Raven, knocking him down.

'She can't be more then four years old, but she's pretty strong.' Sano thought as the little girl started to kick at Raven.

Pretty soon all Hell broke loose. Momo was fighting with Jynx and Doubarou was trying to break them up. Anya was being peeled off Raven by Yuki and Soma was trying to help the boy up. The girl in black, Tai, stayed where she was, watching all of them wit a neutral expression, while Sirius tried to be heard over Aya's screaming and Jynx and Momo fighting. Finally, haveing had enough, Tai unsheathed her sword and struck it against the side of the gate making a high pitched ringing sound. Instantly all of the kids froze and quited down.

'Wow! I wonder if that would work on Yahiko.' Karou thought with an evil grin.

Resheathing her sword and turning to Kenshin Tai started to speak. Her voice was soft but cold. "Forgive us Himura-san. We do not mean to be rude. Aya was trying to thank you for you kindness and offter you this as payment for you hospitality." She handed Kenshin a small bag. When Kenshin looked inside he was shocked to see it was full of money.

"I..." he started to refuse.

"Please Himura-san, I must insist." Sirius said, recovering enough to take control of the situation again. "These kids eat alot and I couldn't think of leaving them with you without paying for some of the expense. Now then, I don't mean to rush but my trian leaves soon, so I must be going. Thank you again Himura-san." Sirius said turning to his siblings who were busy trying to dust each other off. "Please behave yourselves and show Himura-san and his family respect. Got it?"

"Yes Aniki." they said in unison.

"Good. I'll be back soon. Take care of each other until I return." and with that he was out the gate and on his way.