Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Saving Grace ❯ Storms Gathering ( Chapter 9 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the Kenshin-gumi but all original characters and the story line are mine.

Author's Note: Sorry it took so long to update. My computer went on the fritz so I had to get a new one. Please read and review.

Chapter Nine:
Storms Gathering

Sirius stood waiting, willing himself forward. For the fourth time he checked himself over, making sure his sword was secure as well as the throwing knives he kept hidden under his kimono. He wiped the sweat off his forehead and slowly swallowed, trying to releave the black dread that loomed over him. Something told him this would not end without blood shed and that caused him pain. He had killed many as a hitokiri, but after the revolution he had hoped to stop the killing. Now though, it seemed his dream to live peacefully was at an end. He took a deep and looked to the setting sun. "I go to fight and shed blood of my enemies. May my mind and spirit be as sharp as my blade and as strong as the foundations of the earth," he prayed quietly before stepping off toward the home of the oldest son of the Hitomi Clan.

Hitomi Taene sat quietly watching the flames dance in the hearth. The sun was setting and soon his enemy would arrive. "Soon I will avenge my brother and destroy that dishonorable bastard Origami," Taene growled curling his fist tight, causing his finger nails to bite deep into his palms. Hitokiri Origami had betrayed his family as well as the revolution. He had to die.

A knock on the door drew him from his vengful plans. "What?!" he barked out, annoyed at the interuption.

"Hitomi-sama, I have what you sent me for," his servant Inae hissed as he slinked into the room holding a handful of blond hair and a bloody necklace.

"Are they things he will recognize?" Taene asked glaring down at his servant.

Inae shifted uncomfortably under the powerful gaze before nodding. "Yes my Lord. These things seemed very important to his siblings."

"Good. You know what will happen if this fails?"

"Yes Hitomi-sama," Inae answered swallowing fearfully. "My Lord, forgive me, but may I ask you something?" Taene looked at him closely before nodding slightly for him to continue. "Well Sir, I was wondering why you have gane through so much trouble for this?"

"HA!" Taene smiled broadly. "Because this way I'll get rid of that bastard who killed my brother and that foolish Battousai in one sweep."

"But my Lord, why the Battousai-san?"

"Because, you idiot, the revolution is over and his usefulness had come to an end. It is only right that he be exterminated. These times are not fit for one so bloody as the Hitokiri Battosai, even if he has supposably swore to never hill agian, and who better to put him in his grave then the Hitokiri Origami. Ha Ha. It's perfect!" Taene cried laughing wildly. "Perfect!"

"Of course, my Lord." Inae agreed bowing low. "Oh, my Lord, Origami-san was spotted on his way here."

"I see," Taene said serious once more. "You Know what to do?"

"Yes," Inae said bowing his way out to get into postion.

'This will be perfect!' Taene though grabbing his sword and heading down stairs to meet his foe.

Sirius stepped through the wide open gate of the Hitomi estate just so the sun sank below the horizen. Torches had already been lit, throwing the empty courtyard into a wavering half darkness. Shadows rippled, seeming like liveing beings.

"I have come Hitomi," Sirius growled.

"I see. I must say I'm surprised. I was sure you would slink away like a coward," Taene hissed as he stepped out of a shadowed corner.

"I came to fight you not to trade insults," Sirius said unsheathing his sword.

"My, my, aren't you being a bit hasty?" Taene asked as he slowly unsheathed his own blade. "I must warn you Hitokiri Origami, I know your sword style and it is no match against me. I have the upper hand now," Taene said before laughing wildly.

"I am not a hitokiri anymore Hitomi, and I no longer use the origami fighting style, which means you have lost your advantage!" Sirius shouted as he readied himself to attack, his sword held low and close to his body.

"Prepare yourself for death," Taene hissed rushing forward hoping to catch Origami off guard. He slashed wildly downward, but Origami blocked him before kicking out and spinning away. Taene smiled wolfishly when he saw Origami's eyes flash. 'He's angry. His anger will open him to any suggestion. Perfect,' he thought as he blocked a side slash and pushed forward.

They traded blows for almost thirty minutes, neither of them hitting their marks. Finally they spun away from one another and stood panting. Sirius carefully wiped away the sweat that had beaded up on his forehead.

"You're getting weaker, Origami," Hitomi sneered.

"As are you Hitomi," Sirius called back seeing the shine of sweat on Hitomi's brow. "How long do you believe you can last?"

"Long enough."

Suddenly Hitomi was racing towards him. Sirius easily blocked the blow and moved to disarm him when he felt a burning pain rip down his side. 'He had a second blade!' Sirius thought seeing the bloody steel of a small dagger glinting in the fire light. He hit the ground hard and gasped in pain. He pressed his hand to the jagged cut on his side. It was deep, so deep he thought he could see bone. Blood poured from the wound.

"Ha ha. What are you going to do now?" Taene laughed when he saw Origami back away trying to tear off one of the sleeves of his kimono so he could wrap the wound. "What's wrong Hitokiri Origami?"

"I am not a hitokiri anymore!" Sirius yelled as he finnished the crude bandage, trying to keep presure on his bloody side.

"Ha! Do you truely think I believe you can change your very nature? You are a killer."

"Himura-san changed," Sirius growled.

"Oh really? That's not what I saw when I went to see him this morning," Taene said trying to keep the sadistic glee out of his voice.

"What the hell are you talking about?!" Sirius screamed his stomach twisting in horrid dread. Suddenly he heard a soft thud as a small cloth wrapped package hit the dirt in front of him.

"You took away my brother, the only family I had left, and now I've sent to take yours."

'Is he saying that Himura-san could have . . . NO!!'
"No! I don't believe you!" Sirius yelled. He could feel his hysteria rising. He stumbled, he had lost so much blood, black dots danced before him.

"Fine then. If you don't believe me just see for yourself. Look in the package. I brought you some . . . gifts." Sirius stared quietly down at the package, trying to brace himself enough to open it. "Are you afraid Origami?" Taene asked hoping to keep Origami's temper flared.

Sirius took a deep breath before slowly kneeling down and unwrapping the package. He could barely believe his eyes. Inside was a handful of long white blond hair and . . . "Saiyan's necklace," Sirius gasped as he picked it up. It was covered in dry flaking blood. 'Could Himura have truly . . .'

"He said they died peacefully. No pain," Hitomi's voice drifted into his clouded mind.

"No," Sirius whispered. "It can't be."
'Himura wouldn't. I heard the stories, I saw him, he wouldn't do this. But then how did this happen? Doubarou would never allow anyone to have this. The only was would be if he was . . .'
". . . dead," he said the last work out loud before he finally broke and let out a howling scream. He didn't even care when a small slithering man came up behind him and knocked him out. 'I'm sorry I failed,' was all he could think before darkness took him.
****************************************************************** **************

Kenshin padded quietly through the dojo. Things had quieted dwon hours ago and now everyone was sleeping peacefully. Kenshin streatched tiredly. Sanosuke had cornered him after dinner and demanded to know if he knew what the hell was going on. Reluctantly Kenshin had told him and Yahiko everything he knew.

"I knew she was dangerous," Yahiko said. "Do you think she'd kill us in our sleep?"

"Of course not. She isn't that kind of person."

"But you just said she murdered her father, besides did you see her fighting with Raven."

"Well, she is kind of violent, but that doesn't mean she's bad," Sano pointed out. "I mean, I love fighting and i'm not all bad."

Kenshin chuckled grimly at the memory. They had all decided it would be best to keep an eye on both Tai and Raven. Suddenly Kenshin stopped, he stood breathing quietly, centering himself, then he slowly slide open the door to the porch.

"She's not out here," he heard a voice whisper quietly.

"What?"

"Tai, she isn't out here tonight."

"I see." Kenshin narrowed his eyes looking into the darkness. He could see Yuki's shadowed form leaning against the wall of the dojo.

"I wanted to talk to you Himura-san."

Kenshin was silent for a moment, unsure if he wanted to hear what she had to say. Finally, seeing Yuki's impatience he told her to continue.

"I heard your talk with Raven last night," Yuki began quietly, moving into a sitting position while Kenshin shifted to get more comfortable. "I wanted to tell you that he isn't like the rest of us. Raven is old enough to remember our father's death, but not the reasons behind it. In his heart much anger festers over what happened between our father and Tai . . ."

"And you? Do you not feel anger towards her Yuki-dono?" Kenshin interupted, his voice colder then usual.

"No I do not," Yuki told him, surprised at his anger. "All I hold in my hear for he is concern." She paused breathing deep. "I don't know if you are award of it, but my sister was twelve years old when she killed our father. My father was a master swordsman, yet Tai, a mere child, had the skill and motivation to defeat him. With that talent she would have become a great warrior or even a hitokiri, but this is the Meijin era and there is no use for one with her sword skill. Her warrior spirit would have been poisened and it would have flickered and died in the government, even if they had a place for women. That is why I worry for her."

"It is not this concern that keeps you from teaching her Sirius-sans's sword technique is it?" Kenshin asked watching the young girl closely. She twitched under his cold stare. Her face, barely visible in the moonlight, was drawn tight. Her golden hair fell forward shadowing her eyes. Kenshin sighed 'So much pain and uncertainty in one so young.'

Yuki watched the powerful swordsman through her bangs. The moonlight caused his flame red hair to glow like a demon aura. After a while he sighed and his cold eyes softened. 'Please understand Kenshin. Don't hate me for the choices I've made,' Yuke thought. Suddenly Kenshin cleared his throat. 'I need to focus, He has to understand. He must.'
"No. My concern isn't the only reason. The fact is that at twelve my sister murdered her father and felt nothing. She is dangerous because she feels nothing and that makes her the perfect killer. A killer even better the the Battousai." Kenshin gasped. "That is why she will not be taught Sirius's sword technique Kenshin-san."

"You say she feels nothing?" Kenshin asked watching her closely.

"Yes."

"If that is true, then why does she not deny her sin or even lavish in it. If she truly felt nothing wouldn't she have killed Raven during their fight. Instead she bares the burden of your father's death and Raven's hatred without complaint." Kenshin said thoughtfully before sliding the door open.

Yuki could barely believe his words. "Kenshin-san wait," Yuki called softly. "You have only known us for two days and yet you have seen something in my sister that I could not. You truly are a great man."

"No," Kenshin told her quietly. "I am only a rurouni that I am, nothing more." He went into the dojo leaving the door open for Yuki. He padded back down the hall past the rooms fof shadowed sleeping forms. 'They are so young,' he thought sadly, 'I hope someday they can understand each other.'
*************************************************************** *****************

Tai listened as Kenshin's footsteps passed by the door again. She lay awaked until Yuki finally came in as well. "Man he's hot," Yuki whispered.

"Yeah, I know," Tai whispered back smiling naughtly into the darkness.

"You think he's into younger women?"

Tai turned to look at Yuki's shadowy form before giggling quietly.

"Hey I'm serious," Yuki whispered indignatly before giggling as well.

"Go to sleep Yukie Pookie-chan."

"Hey, I told you not to call me that, baka," Yuki said elbowing Tai in the ribs. "Still with hair like that I don't see how Karou-san keeps her hands off him," Yuki finally added as she slipped into sleep.

Raven listend to them laugh from his place in the corner. He quietly snorted in disgust. 'How crude,' he thought when he heard them whisper about Kenshin. He waited until their breathing slowed to a steady rythme and everyone seemed to be asleep before he slowly unfolded himself from is curled position. He climed over the sleeping forms, heisitating only for a moment when he passed by Tai. she was clever so he could never be sure she was really asleep, and he really wasn't in the mood for her to suddenly sit up and demand to know where he was going. Finally he cursed her silently and crept past. He stepped out into the hall carefully and closed the door before sitting againt it. He sighed putting his head in his hands. He felt the choppy edges of his now shoulder length hair. Raven growled low, his hair was ruined, he'd seen it starting to darken at dinner.

"Stupid bitch," he hissed his stomach twisting in rage. Raven took a deep breath trying to calm the sudden wave of nausea. Visions of Tai soaked in blood, the remains of his father, flashed before him. He dug his nails into his palms trying to get his emotions under control. Finally he was able to breath freely again.

"Damn," he whispered. "This is getting out of hand." He wiped the sweat off his forehead. "I have to contol this." He leaned back and closed his eyes. He remembered the day Aya was born. The day his father was taken from him. Doubarou had explained it to him, why their father had died, but try as he might Raven couldn't make himself understand. He couldn't understand how a father who had always protected him could suddenly become a monster and be killed for it. When he had asked Sirius about it the older boy had told him he couldn't understand, he didn't remember what father had been like. They always told him that he couldn't understand and that father had been different before.

"Damn them. Damn them all." Raven cursed. He knew it was a lie. They were just making excuses. Tai was the crazy one. She was the monster. She had murdered their father and no had done anything about it. "I will though. I'll make her pay. I may have lost my soul to rage and revenge, but she will lose hers to the nightmare of murder," Raven growled, baring his teeth. "I will sacrifice my life and the lives of anyone in my way. Tai will lose her self in the bloody rain."
**************************************************************** ****************

The train rocke rhythmicly back and forth through the night. Sirius sat quietly staring out the window. Suddenly the train lurched and he gasped in pain, his hand going to touch his aching side. He could feel thick bandages under his kimono where someone had wrapped his wound. He had awaken that way almost an hour before, unsure of where he was or how he had gotten there. Another passenger had told him that a man had brought him aboard and asked that someone make sure had got off in Tokyo. If he had been in his right state of mind Sirius would have wondered what Hitomi was up to, sending him back to Tokyo instead of killing him. Unfortunatly his blood loss and grief had affected his sanity and all he could think was that the Battousai had to die for waht he had done. He flicked is black bangs out of his pale green eyes and started blankly into the night, his mind filled with red hot revenge.