Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Saving Grace ❯ The Storm Breaks ( Chapter 10 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I don't own the Kenshin-gumi but all original characters and the story line are mine.

Author's Notes:
Kenshin_Fan101: Thanks for the review. I'm glad you enjoy my work. Sorry about the spelling I don't have a spell check and sometimes my friends don't have time to proofread my stuff.

Chapter Ten: The Storm Breaks

Kenshin watched nervously as Sano slowly slide the door open. Yahiko pushed forward placing his eye against the cracked opening. "A little more," he whispered as Sano opened he door wider berfore looking through the crack. Yahiko turned, smiling evily, and motioned for Kenshin to look.

Putting his face to the crack Kenshin could see Raven sitting dejectedly in the middle of his futon. His hair stuck out at odd angles, it looked rough and choppy with heavy black streaks. "Hmph. . ." someone cleared their throat. Kenshin turned quickly and almost ran into Yuki who stood over them her hands on her hips. "Having fun?" she asked as Yahiko and Sano got to their feet trying not to laugh.

"He looks worse then Karou," Yahiko giggled.

"Hey!" Karou yelled coming around the corner with a bowl of rice. "Shut up Yahiko and get away from the door." She glared at the three of them. "You should all be ashamed, making fun of him. Ecspecially you Kenshin, I'm very disappointed."

"Oro?!"

"Go do something useful and leave him alone," Karou said poking Yahiko.

"Like what, Ugly?" he asked slapping her hand away.

"I'm not ugly! Go clean the floor in the practice hall you little brat!" she screeched punching him in the head. "Go do some laundry or something," she said pointing to Kenshin, "and you!" she rounded on a laughing Sano. "Go home Freeloader!!" she yelled dumping the rice on his head and stomping away.

Yuki shook her head and picked up the bowl. "I guess I'll go refill this. Later boys, have fun," she cooed waving over her shoulder as she walked away.
***************************************************************** *********************************

Yahiko frowned as he ran along on all fours trying to clean the floor. His back hurt from being bent over and his arms were killing him. "Stupid Karou!" he seethed.

"Yahiko!" he heard someone scream behind him as he lost his balance and fell on his face. He lay still trying to clear his head when he felt someone poke him. "Do you think he's dead?" he heard Aya whisper.

"Maybe. . . we should bury him just in case," Jynx whispered back.

"Ok." He felt the girls pick him up and begin to drag him.

"What are you doing?" he growled starting them. They squeaked and dropped him. He groaned when his head hit the floor.

"Are you alright Yahiko-kun?" Doubarou asked watching the boy rub the bump on his head. He merely scowled before going back to work. Doubarou smiled to himself leaning against the side of the dojo. The day had moved peacefully along and now the sun was almost directly over head. The peace had come at a price though, Raven was busy sulking and Tai was brooding. He yawned, 'Damn, why did I stay up so late working on that kimono?' his thoughts turned to the white cloth he'd been trying to repair. The cloth had ripped cleanly so at least his crappy repairs wouldn't look too bad. Now all he had to do was find away to get the mud stains out.

"Stupid Raven," he growled getting to his feet. "Why did he have to do that? His problems with Tai are getting out of hand. I am so going to give him a talking to." He slide the door open and opened his mouth to give Raven a piece of his mind, but stopped when he saw the younger boy staring dejectedly at the floor.

"Hey," Doubarou said getting the boy's attention. Raven wilted under his sterm gaze and Doubarou's anger faded but he didn't lose his hard expression. "We need to talk," he said quietly, moving to sit next to his little brother.

"I suppose you're right," Raven agreed looking away.

"What's going on?"

"What do you mean?" Raven hissed getting defensive.

"Relax. I just want to know what's wrong. Why are you and Tai at each others throats all of a sudden? I mean, yeah you guys fought before, but this is getting out of hand."

Raven snorted in response and Doubarou's eyes narrowed. "It isn't something you could understand," Raven told him imperiously.

"Excuse me?!"

"I said you wouldn't understand. Just drop it. I don't have time for you to go all paternal on me," Raven sneered getting some of his confidence back. Doubarou stared at him wondering how he could have ever felt sorry for the little brat. "If that's all you wanted you might as well go away and stop wasting my time."

'Alright that is it?' Doubarou thought as he slapped Raven hard in the back of the head. Raven yelped in pain when he bit his tounge. "You know, you can be a real jerk sometimes. My patience is wearing thin and if you ever pull a stunt on Tai again, like you did with that kimono, I will personally kick your ass," Doubarou growled before slammnig the door behind him as he stormed out. 'How has Tai put up with him this long?' he wondered as he searched for the little ones.

Raven fumed in the opressive silence Doubarou had left him in. "Damn him. Damn them all. Tai is taking them away from me. She's turning them against me. I can't let that happen," he whispered to himself. He could feel the hot rage pulling like a taunt string inside him.

"Hey, Raven who are you talking to?" he heard Tai ask as she slide the door closed behind her.

"None of your business. Go away!" he growled glaring at her.

"What ever. Yuki told me to get you for lunch. If you want to be a jerk and starve, that's fine," Tai told him as she turned away. Suddenly Raven felt the thin string snap somewhere inside him."I'm not a jerk. Just shut up!" he screamed as he tackled Tai. His momentum sent them both crashing through the sliding door.
***************************************************************** *********************************

Yuki grimaced slipping Tai's sword into her belt. She had taken the girl's weapon before sending her to get Raven. 'No reason to tempt her,' she thought filling a bowl with rice. 'Though with the way he's been acting a few knocks to the head may help.'

Just then Doubarou came in followed closely by Aya and Jynx, who looked like she had stuck her head in a bag of flour. "I. . ." Doubarou started.

"Forget it, we'll dunk her in the tub after we eat. She'll be fine."

"Yeah I guess. Hey, where's Tai?"

"I sent her after Raven. I figure if they can walk down the hall with our getting into a fight then there's still hope left."

"You're playing with fire you know," Doubarou said running his hands through his bangs.

"Maybe but . . ." Suddenly they heard a resounding crash and a few grunts of pain.

"What the hell!" Yuki yelled running into the yard where Kenshin, Yahiko, and Sano had already gathered. Raven and Tai lay among the remains of what had been a shoji door. Neither were moving but Yuki could tell that Tai had taken most of the fall and would probably recover last. Suddenly Raven climbed to his feet and bent slowly to grab Tai. His face was furrowed in dark rage. Yuki gasped, 'What's happening to him?'

"We need to stop this now," Doubarou said. Yuki nodded and moved toward the fighters just as Tai took a swip at Raven.

"I have had enough!" she yelled grabbing both kids by a handful of hair giving them a sharp tug.

"Oww!" Tai screamed trying to pull away, but Yuki just tugged harder.

"What the hell is going on?" Soma called from the bath house.

"Nothing that concerns you, and don't curse in front of the little ones," Yuki yelled over Tai and Raven's yelps of pain as she tugged their hair again. "Now then, I have put up with your fighting for two days and I can't stand it anymore. It stops now, I don't care how you do it, just get it done, or I'll tie you two together and make you do housework. Got it?"

"Yes!Yes! Just let go," Raven whined.

"Good," Yuki said tugging once more for a good measure before letting them go. Both of her victims quickly moved out of her range and started rubbing their wounded scalps. "Oh, and before you eat, I want that door replaced and I want you to apologize to Karou-san," Yuki called over her shoulder before going back into the kitchen.

"Wow. You really told them," Doubarou laughed following her.

"Hmph. . . maybe they'll get some sense now."

"Don't make me laugh," Doubarou said sighing. "You and I both know there is no way this is over. A fued like this takes more bloodshed before it ends."

"My, my, aren't we feeling optimistic," Yuki said dryly, smoothing her hair back. "I. . ." Before she could finish they heard someone scream.

"Damn it! What now?" Doubarou yelled in frustration sticking his head out the door. Sirius staggered into the yard. His dark hair hung gree and blew in the wind. His kimono was torn and bloody. Doubarou could see red stained bandages beneath it. Sirius's face was pale and it glistened with a feverish sweat.

"Aniki!" Aya called running out from behind Doubarou. She only made it a few steps before he grabbed her and pulled her back

"What's the matter?" Yuki asked quietly.

"Something's wrong. I don't think he recognizes us." Doubarou whispered.

Sirius's eyes were glazed and full of pain and brimming insanity. They passed emptly over Raven and Tai as well as Aya and Doubarou. He showed no sign of life until his gaze finally rested on Kenshin. "You, Battousai! You will die for what you did to my family!" he screamed drawing his sword and running towards Kenshin.
************************************************************** ************************************

Taene sighed shifting in his seat. Japan's landscape whipped past as the train roared down the track. "This is taking forever," he grumbled,"when are we suppose to arrive?"

"By nightfall Hitomi-sama," Inae answered quietly.

"Why so late?" Taene demanded.

Inae mentally rolled his eyes, "Because, my Lord," he began to explain patiently. "You wanted to leave at least three hours after Origami-san and this was the only train that would fit our needs."

"Oh yes. Damn plot. They take too much work. Why did I just kill him?"

"Because, my Lord, you wish to kill Battousai-san as well."

"Yes, yes. That damn hitokiri. He took thousands of lives yet in the end he couldn't get past the death of one woman. He's weak and now he tries to fool people into believeing he's changed. He's a killer just like that damn Origami. Origami is troublesome, and now I have to go all the way to Tokyo to make sure that screw up does his job and kills tht Battousai. It's all too tedious." Taene said rubbing his temples.

Inae could barly suppress a sigh. His master was losing his mind. That much was evident. Inae just hoped that when his master finally cracked he wouldn't be drug down as well.
***************************************************************** *********************************

Kenshin dodged swiftly as Sirius's sword came at him again. "Please, Sirius-san, stop this. I will not fight you," he pleaded urgently blocking another strike with his sheathed sword.

"Shut up! You must die! You will die for killing them Battousai!" Sirius screamed hystericly.

"Aniki, what are you saying? We're right here!" Soma yelled flipping his dripping hair out of his face. He had jumped out of the tub when he saw Sirius strike at Kenshin, so now he was running around soaking wet in damp hakama trying to stop his crazy older brother. This was not a good day.

"We have to do something," Tai dais taking her sword from Yuki. "He needs to be restrained before he hurts himself or Himura-san." Suddenly things took a turn for the worst when Sano tried to interfer.

"Hey man! Kenshin hasn't done anything to you." Sano tried to explain stepping between the two hitokiris.

"Silence. You will die for your foolish interference," Sirius hissed aiming a side slash at Sano's unguarded torso. There was a cold ring of steel and Kenshin blocked the strike.

"You will not hurt anyone today Sirius-san," he said coldly his eyes flashing. Sirius stared shocked by the change in his demeaner.

"Now!" Tai yelled as Doubarou and Soma took advantage of Sirius's surprise and tackled him. Doubarou threw his sword away and held his arms down, while Soma straddled him trying not to hit his wound.

"Sirius it's us. Don't you remember?" Soma cried slapping Sirius's face. The older man stared up at him for almost a minute before realization dawned in his eyes.

"Soma?" he said carefully.

"Yes?"

"Why do you haunt me? I'm sorry I failed! I'm sorry!" Sirius suddenly cried out before he started to sob.

"Sirius! Aniki, what are you saying?! Please stop this!" Yuki yelled.

"Aniki, what's wrong?" Momo asked as Aya and Jynx started to cry loudly.

"What are we going to do? He's lost it!" Raven exclaimed rocking back and forth.

Suddenly the heard a high pitched ringing sound and everyone froze. Even Sirius quieted down. Tai carefully sheathed her sword before kneeling next to Sirius. He started to squirm and whimper. "Stop it Aniki. Crying like a lost child doesn't suit you." Tai told him, smoothing his hair back.

"I'm sorry. I didn't mean to let you die. I didn't mean to fail," he whispered his feverish eyes fillinf with tears.

"Aniki, you didn't fail. We are alive."

"But. . . I . . . oww," Sirius yelped in pain as Tai poked him in the side.

"If I was dead I wouldn't be able to do that. Aniki, you didn't fail and Himura-san is innocent. Got it?" Tai demanded.
Sirius nodded slowly. "If Soma let's you up will you let us help you?" Again Sirius nodded. "Good," Tai said motioning for Soma to help him up. "Kamiya-san, " she called.

"Hai," Karou answered coming from behind Yahiko, who stood in the practice hall doorway.

"Will you please get your doctor friend?"

"Of course," Karou told her running out of the dojo to fetch Megumi.

"We need to get him inside and find out what happened," Doubarou said , carefully moving Sirius with Soma's help.

"Hitomi. . . Hitomi. . . " Sirius whispered as they carried him.
****************************************************************** ********************************

Kenshin carefully rung the cool rag out before he placed it on Sirius's forehead. The man slept fitfully twisting under the blankets and scratching at the heavey bandages Megumi had wrapped him in. "Shh, Sirius-san, shhh." Kenshin whispered soothingly when Sirius's eyes flickered open. His glazed eyes took the room in slowly before he tried to sit up. "No Sirius-san," Kenshin whispered firmly as he gently pushed Sirius backdown.

"Himura-san," Sirius croaked huskily, "Himura-san please. . . I . . ."

"What is it Sirius-san? So you need something?"

"Water . . . please water." Kenshin moved quickly reaching for the water and bringing Sirius up to it. The man winced as Kenshin proped him up so he could drink. "Thank you Himura-san," Sirius said drowsily when he was finished and Kenshin laid him back down.

"It's no problem. This one is happy to help," Kenshin assured him.

"Himura-san I . . . I'm sorry. I was a fool for believing you could do something as horrid as slay children. Forgive me." Sirius said raggedly, reaching up to grasp Kenshin's shoulder desperatly.

"I understand Sirius-san. I know you were not thinking clearly. Please don't let it trouble you." Kenshin assured him loosening himself from Sirius's grip. 'Even in his weakened state his grip is very strong. Kenshin thought rubbing his shoulder as Sirius fell back to sleep.

"Kenshin?" Karou called from the door.

Kenshin turned quickly surprised by her sudden appearance. "Is everything alright?"

"Oh yes. I just came to give you a break," Karou said quietly, sitting next to him.

"I see. Thank you, but I thought Yuki-dono was going to replace me."

"She was but it seems they are having a meeting so I'm taking her place."

"I see." Kenshin said quietly stepping out of the room. 'I should check it out. I wouldn't want them to be rash. They seemed pretty upset after Sirius told them what happened. They may need someone with clear judgement.' Kenshin thought bowing to Karou and heading out to find Yuki and the others.
*************************************************************** ***********************************

Tai sighed in the dusk's half light, her hand absently going to the piece of cloth in her kimono. She had found the white kimono that Doubarou was trying to fix. She was thankful, but could tell by his clumsy stitches that the 'fixup' wouldn't work out. Unwilling to lose the contentment and hope the kimono gave her Tai cut out the red dragon piece which was still clean and undamaged, and tucked it in her shirt. 'Now I will always have something that is not stained with blood,' she thought.

". . . he's found us, he must die." Raven's grating voice broke into her thoughts. She turned to glare at him. He stood in the middle of their small, his dark black hair trimed and tied behind him. He jabbed his finder at Yuki. "He can't be allowed to live."

"So what, we just murder some guy?" Soma asked.

"It's not murder if you are protecting someone," Momo said solemly. Tai smiled grimly at the young boy's wisdom.

"Momo is right, but that still doesn't give us the right to kill anyone," Doubarou announced. "This is the Meiji era. Police hold power now. We should go to them and let them handle it."

"HA!" Raven burst out rudely. "Hitomi is a government official. Do you really think those stupid policemen are going to do anything? They'll either laugh at us or kill us. Besides, no matter what era it is we have a right to protect ourselves."

Soma stared into the darkening sky. "Violence shouldn't always be the anwser, but it also shouldn't be ignored as an option. We need to think on this. I'll get us a light," he told them, quietly padding away.

Tai watched him leave before turning to Aya and Jynx. The girls sat back to back sleeping soundly. 'I wish I could sleep so peacefully,' she thought before turning back to the matter at hand. 'Hitomi. Hitomi told Sirius we were dead so he would kill Himura. There is no way he would set up something so complicated and not plan on checking in to see if it worked.'

"Hitomi is coming here," she whispered to herself.

"What did you say?" Raven demanded in annoyance.

Tai's icy glare flicked over him and he flinched. "I said Hitomi is coming here," she told him coldly holding his still with her gaze.

"What do you mean? Why would he do that?" Doubarou asked breaking their eye contact and relieveing some of the sudden tension.

Tai cost one more hateful look at Raven before turning her back on all of them. "Think about it," she began as she started to pace. "It's a complicated plan with plenty of room for error. If Hitomi has half a brain and an ounce of ego he will come to see what's going on. We should be careful, we know he's intelligent or at least cunning if he managed to get you dragon tooth without anyone noticing." They all looked to the tooth glittering against Doubarou's chest. They had found it on Sirius when they had told him about Hitomi.

Doubarou frowned, his hand going up to cover the necklace selfconciously. 'How could I have been so irresponsible,' he though sadly. He had tried to scrub the blood away but the once white ivory was stained a rusty red.

"When he finds out his plan has failed, he will try again," Tai continued quietly. "Police aren't any good, Hitomi had too many connections. They won't be able to keep him from hunting us."

"Then does that mean we will have to stop him?" Momo asked looking up at their grim faces in confusion.

Soma sighed, 'So much violence. We either fight others or we fight each other. I don't want to fight or see anyone die, and with so much tension between them Raven and Tai may self destruct if a battle starts. We can't just let Hitomi come after us though.'

"Hitomi must die," Soma announced suddenly coming forward a small lamp in his hands.

"I knew you would agree with me Soma. Now what about the rest of you?" Raven hissed glaring at Tai. She stared cooly back.

"I . . . I don't see a good outcome from either choice, but if we're going down we might as well go down fighting," Doubarou said quietly. Yuki put her hand on his shoulder. She could see the uncertainty and turmoil in his face.

'He doesn't know what to do,' she thought. 'Sirius has always been the one to lead us in times like these."

"What do you think?" he asked her quietly.

"Do what you will. I will follow you," she whispered.

"I don't want this. It isn't right. We should check this stuff out with Sirius," Momo began desperatly.

"Shh. . . come here Momo," Yuki called reaching for him. He walked to her in a daze. She pulled him into her lap and started rubbing his back comfortingly.

"Sirius should ber the one to decide. He's our leader," Momo argued quietly.

"I know but right now Sirius can't lead us. So we have to decide for ourselves."

"But. . . "

"No one cares about your whining," Raven finally lashed out. "You're to little to even be involved in this so just shut up already." Everyone stared at him but said nothing so he continued. "Then we agree that Hitomi will die," he confirmed before turning to Tai.

"Why do you look to me, Raven?" she asked scathingly.

"Isn't it obvious?" Raven growled in annoyance. "You will be the one to kill him."

"No," Tai told him sharply.

"What?!" Raven asked in surprise. "What do you mean no?"

"I will not become some assasin for you to send out to pick off your enemies. I don't want to kill people."

"So?! Do you think any of us do? Your hands are bloody, you have nothing to lose. It is your place."

"Then what the hell is your place!" she yelled at him, her fists clenched.

"To put you down like a dog when you are no longer useful." Raven screamed back at her. He was shocked by his words but knew it was too late to turn back. for a moment everyone froze unsure of what to do. Too much had happened too fast. Raven had crossed the line. Would Tai answer his challenge?

"I dare you to try it," she whispered, her eyes pale and flashing. "Cause if you touch me I'll cut your hands off." She thumbed her sword.

"Stop this," they heard someone say. Kenshin came out of the shadows. The light from the lamp caused his hair to glow and shadows to flicker across his face. "You accomplishy nothing with this petty fighting that you don't."

"What do you think we should do Himura-san?" Tai asked stepping away from Raven her fists relaxing.

"We should be ready, but we should still try to settle this peacefully."

"We?" Doubarou asked uncertainly.

Kenshin looked at him, his grim face softening. "You are not alone in this."

Suddenly Yahiko came barreling towards them full speed. He barely managed to keep from knocking in to Soma. "Kenshin!" he gasped breathlessly. "Something is wrong. . . something is wrong with Sirius. I think he's dying!"