Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Saving Grace ❯ Taking Control and Losing Sanity ( Chapter 11 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I don't own the Kenshin-gumi but all original characters and the story line are mine.

Chapter Eleven:
Taking Control and Losing Sanity

Doubarou stood back looking at his older brother. Sirius's breathing was weak and shallow. He lay shivering, his face pale and covered in sweat. Twice now his breathing had stopped, only to start up agian when they lost hope. It had only been a few minutes since they had come running in to find Karou trying to help a gasping Sirius, saying that he had stopped breathing and turned blue and that she had sent Sano for Megumi.

"Doubarou," he heard Yuki whisper from her place next to Sirius. He looked at her slowly unsure if she was real or if he had slipped into a nightmare. "Do you think he'll. . ." she began.

"Don't. I can't tell you, so don't ask me," he said harshly feeling his eyes fill with tears. 'Sirius can't die. He's aniki, he's our leader, he can't leave us alone.'

Tai watched them from her place against the door where she leaned back slightly her arms crossed in front of her. she could see Momo, Jynx, and Aya piled in the far corner staring at their older siblings in confusion and fear. Yuki knelt next to Sirius with Karou across from her. Yahiko sat cross legged a little apart from Momo trying to talk to them and keep them calm. Soma moved closer to Doubarou who seemed to sway under the sudden pressure of what it would mean for Sirius to die.

"This is taking a turn for the worst," Raven said quietly from the shadows beside her. "If we aren't careful Doubarou may break." He moved closer behind her. Tai didn't turn around but she could barely keep from flinching in disgust when Raven put his head on her shoulder. She stood rigid trying to ignore his hot breath on her neck. "Do you think they can take it? Do you think Yuki and Doubarou can lead us if Sirius dies? I don't. If Sirius dies now we will be unsheltered and unprotected when Hitomi comes for us again. What will you do?" Raven hissed moving closer, his mouth right next to her ear.

Tai's mind reeled. She hated to admit it, but Raven was right. Doubarou was about to collapse and Yuki couldn't stop crying. 'They can't take the pressure of leading us. If Sirius dies and Hitomi comes for us, they won't be able to protect us.'

"What are you going to do?" Raven asked softly.

"I. . . I . . .I have to fight Hitomi," Tai whispered her heart sinking. The only way to keep her family safe was to spill blood to take life.

"Yes. I suppose you will," Raven said in careful triumph. 'She will kill him. She will lose hope and her soul will break,' he thought manicly turning away to slither out of the room.

Kenshin watched him closely. He hadn't heard what was said between the two siblings, but he could see that something had changed and it wasn't going to help the situation any.

"Everyone out quickly," Megumi called coming briskly into the room. Sano followed closly behind gasping for air.
The kids moved carefully around Sirius's prone form unsure if they should leave, unsure if they would see him again

"It's ok. Megumi-san will take good care of him," Karou said trying to comfort them. They simply nodded and walked out.
****************************************************************** ********************************
Yuki couldn't take it. She had barely made it to the yard when she collapsed. Soma was close enough to grab her before she hit the ground. "Yuki?! Yuki?! Are you ok?" Soma asked desperatly shaking her slightly.

"Yes I just. . .help me up." Yuki said feebly. Soma helped her sit under a near by tree. The others gathered close around them.

What are we going to do?" Momo asked.

"I will fight Hitomi," Tai answered matter of factly, kneeling down next to Yuki, checking her eyes and forehead for a fever.

"No. I am the oldest of us, I should fight him," Doubarou said putting a hand on Tai's shoulder.

She shrugged if off and stepped away from them. "I will fight him. It is my place."

"Your place is where you make it. You. . ."

"Stop Doubarou," Tai said in an icy voice. "I have chosen to fight this enemy and you will not interfer," her voice was harsh and abrupt. Everyone stared at her in shock. She never spoke that way to her older siblings. Then her voice softened again. "It is you job to protect this family. That is why Saiyan gave you the dragon tooth. When I fight Hitomi I ask that you take your place and protect everyone," Tai finished. Suddenly her eyes narrowed and they saw her body tense as she stared intently at a spot just above the gate. Doubarou looked as well and saw what looked like a shadowed man peeking over the gate. "Get them inside, quickly. Allow no one to interfer," Tai said calmly moving to an attack stance. Doubarou and Soma silently gathered up the others and started to move them back into the dojo. "I know you are here Hitomi, come and fight me."
****************************************************************** ********************************

Inae ducked back behind the gate. His master had told him to look over the gate to see if his plan had worked, from the way the children were talking Inae figured at least half the plan was complete. He was just about to drop down and join his master, who stood quietly in the shadows a few feet away, when he heard the strange girl in black call his master out.

"I know you are here Hitomi, come and fight me."

He saw his master's eyes flash in the darkness. Without a moments pause Hitomi threw the gate open knocking Inae painfully to the ground. Inae slithered over to wait in the shadows and watch the battle in safety.

Soma froze when he saw the dark haired man come striding in. 'This man is Hitomi? His eyes are like that of a demon,' he thought as Aya started to pull desperatly on his arm.

"Soma please, we have to get inside and away from the bad man!"

"Who dares to challenge me?" a deep voice growled causing Raven to shiver. He had never seen a man so great as Hitomi. He was taller then even Sirius. His rich dark green silk kimono spoke of his wealth and power.

"He's amazing," Raven whispered.

"I will fight you Hitomi-san," Tai said moving into a defensive stance.

"HA! You're just a little girl. You're barely old enough to be away from your mother. What can you do to me?" he asked flexing his muscles.

Tai smiled grimly, then she was gone. Taene looked around wildly, all he could hear and see was the wind in the trees and the shocked faces of the other children. Suddenly he felt a slight weight on his shoulders and he heard a crack. His arm went limp and numb. "What will you do now Hitomi-san?" Tai asked as the large man whirled around, his useless left arm swingng wildly.

"What did you do?" he growled.

"I have cut the nerve ending and blood flow off to your arm. If you don't return them quickly your arm will die," she told him grimly. He stared at her in surprise. "I guess I'm not such a little girl. Now fight me." she hissed flying towards him, her sword raised. Hitomi quickly blocked with his own.
****************************************************************** ********************************

Kenshin hadn't heard Tai's challenge but he did hear the resounding clash of her first strike. Instantly he was on his feet, "Sano! Yahiko! We have to stop them," he called as he ran for the door.

Momo heard them coming. "Yuki, they are here. What do we do?"

Yuki looked at Doubarou for a moment. "We have to stop them. Little ones you take Yahiko," the three children nodded, "Soma and I will take Sanosuke-san. . ."

"And I will stop Kenshin-san," Doubarou finished.
************************************************************* *************************************

Kenshin had needed to stop and get his sakebato so Yahiko was the first one out the door. aya tackled him while Jynx and Momo tried to hold his legs. "Let go guys! We have to stop Tai!"

"No! You can't," Aya said kicking him.

"Please understand Yahiko-kun. We can't let you interupt. Sorry," Momo said pulling Yahiko's hands behind his back.

Soma and Yuki came running back, boken held tightly, just in time to meet Sano as he came through the door. "What the hell is going on?" he yelled, seeing Yahiko being beaten down and the other two waiting for him.

"We must ask you, Sanosuke-san, not to interfer in this battle," Yuki said calmly.

"I'm afraid we can't do that," Kenshin told her moving out from behind Sano.

"Then we ask for your forgiveness in advance," Yuki bowed low as Soma handed his sword to Doubarou.

"I will be your opponent Kenshin-san," Doubarou annouced moving away from the others and drawing Soma's blade.

"I don't wish to hurt you."

"Same here," Doubarou agreed flipping his blade over, "but even so I still can't allow you to stop this fight." he finished nodding to Yuki who immediately moved into an attack stance, Soma followed soon after.

'Damn, I don't want to hurt them but I don't have time for this,' Kenshin thought looking to Tai and Hitomi. Tai was bleeding from a small cut on her leg and Hitomi was limping his left arm swinging, like a dead weight, in his way.

"Too slow," Doubarou whispered before punching Kenshin in the face.
***************************************************************** *********************************

Hitomi gasped in pain and stumbled as Tai flew around him slashing his legs. His useless arm weakened his defenses, leaving him open to all of her attacks. Even in such a week state he could usually use his brute strength against an ordinary swordsman, but Tai was different. Her speed was too much for him to take in and she was gaining ground fast. 'Time to bluff her,' he thought.

"You're fast little one, but you won't last long. You'll have to get tired eventually." Hitomi said mockingly. Tai blocked his feeble strike and kicked out at him.

"Save your breath for fighting," she growled.

"Tell me young one, did your brother tell you about our battle?" Hitomi began, trying to bait Tai as he blocked her forward thrust. "Did he tell you he begged for his life and cried like a woman on his knees? To bad he'll die a coward's death."

"Silence!" Tai yelled kicking Hitomi in the face and tripping him with her sheath. He fell in his knees hard and lifted his arm up to defend himself but he could already see the glinting steel of Tai's blade coming down to take his head.
***************************************************************** *********************************

Yuki ducked down under Sano's arm and smacked his hard in the back while Soma when for his legs. He stumbled and almost fell but caught himself. Soma slashed down on his shoulder bringing him to his knees and making the boken crack loudly. Yuki looked to the side where Doubarou and Kenshin were still trading blows. Doubarou was breathing hard and Kenshin had a bruise forming on his cheek, but both were still moving with lightning speed.

Suddenly she saw past Kenshin to where Tai was fighting with Hitomi. He was on his knees and Tai stood over him, her sword raised ready to strike. Yuki froze, her little sister was about to spill blood once again and there was nothing she could do. "No," she whispered.

Doubarou saw her standing, staring past him. He looked as well just as Tai moved for her final blow. He closed his eyes waiting for the scream of pain and the thud as Hitomi's lifeless body fell away. All he heard was an oppresive silence. Doubarou's eyes flew open, Tai stood eerily still and rigid. Her sword was posied just above Hitomi who knelt begging and whimpering quietly.

"I can't do it," she whispered throwing her sword aside, "I can't kill him." Kenshin sheathed his own blade and walked toward her slowly. She turned to him, her eyes wide, "I can't kill him. It doesn't feel right. Even now with Sirius so close to death. I just can't make this seem right," she said.

"Killing isn't the answer, Tai-dono, that it is not," Kenshin added quietly standing next to her.

"Shut up, you stupid washed up wimp!" Raven screeched, suddenly coming our of the shadows near Aya and Momo. "This is your fault. She was so close, so close to the edge. One more push and I knew she would break, but no you had to come along with your big words and high ideals on human life and suddenly she doesn't want to hate or kill. I won't let you ruin this. Tai will take a life tonight." Raven grabbed Aya by her hair and pulled her close putting a small knife to her throat.

Tai couldn't believe her eyes, Raven had finaly lost his mind and now to get at her he would kill their little sister. Aya screamed and tried to fight but when Raven pressed the blade down and drew blood she stilled.

"That's better. Now take that fool's blade Tai," Raven said indicating Kenshin. Tai stood unable to move. "NOW!" Raven screamed jerking Aya's hair. The little girl yelped in pain and started to sob.

Immediatly Tai took Kenshin's sword, sheath and all. 'It's a sakabato,' she thought when she felt it's weight.

"Back up Kenshin," Raven said licking his lips nervously. He didn't want to do this, but it was the only way.

Kenshin took a few steps away from Tai and Hitomi. He was pale and his breath was some what ragged. 'No. I can't let her spill his blood. There has to be something. If she kill him all will be lost,' Kenshin thought despretly. "Raven, this is not going to work. Let the child go," he tried.

"Shut up! Tai, unsheath that idiot's sword and kill Hitomi." Tai unsheathed the blade slowly. Maybe Raven didn't know it was a sakabato, maybe she could pretend and give the others time to save Aya. "Turn the blade over onee-san," Raven hissed at her making her heart sink. She flipped it over, the sharp edge glinting in the lamplight, and raised it once more to strike Hitomi down.

'I don't have a choice. It's him or Aya. Hitomi must die. I have no choice,' she thought willing her arm to move.

"It's not murder if you're trying to protect someone." Momo's words rang in her mind.

"Kill him now!" Raven screamed, his hold on Aya loosening as Tai's arm decended. The little girl immediatly pulled away from him. Seeing her freed Doubarou reached out to grab Raven, but the younger boy saw him coming and backed away quickly.Tai hadn't seen what happened but she felt Raven bump into her throwing her off balance and making her blow go to far to the left. She landed on the ground hard and rolled way quickly, to get our of Raven's reach. "Damn you," the younger boy said as she climbed to her feet. Suddenly he turned on Hitomi who was trying to crawl away. His eyes grew wide when he felt Raven's knife plunge into the flesh of his neck and slit his throat open. Hitomi's blood spilled out in a scarlet shower. He was dead before he hit the ground.

Yuki watched in horror as Raven pulled the knife out of Hitomi's corpse. His hand was covered in thick blood and he was smiling when he turned back to Tai. "You know, you are making this much too complicated. If you would have just killed Hitomi none of this would be needed. If you had just killed him, you could have eventually lost your mind and I would have been at peace." Raven said cheerfully. Suddenly his voice grew had and higher pitched with insanity. "But no, you couldn't do that. Instead you have to become a better person and now I have to get my hands dirty, but don't worry you'll pay."

"Raven," Tai whispered, she stood a few feet away from his weaponless and in shock. "What are you talking about? What do you mean make me pay?" Tai demanded quietly.

"Damn you!" Raven screamed punching her in the face. "You killed my father you bitch. You murdered him and no one cared. They let you come back, they let you stay with us. They let you live and you didn't feel anything. You didn't even regret it."

"How do you know what I feel? Who are you to act so mighty. You've lost your mind." Tai screamed back at him. "You don't remeber waht father was like. I do. So don't act like I'm the evil one. You're just a spoiled brat who can't understand anything."

Raven stood silent. Time seemed to stop. He could feel the wind blowing across his face, he felt the tight coil inside him loosen and he felt a sudden clarity. Breathing deep he could smell the first cherry blossoms. "I'm so tired." Tai heard him whisper as time started once more. "I am going to kill you," Raven said calmly as he swipped at her. She ducked the knife by a hairs width.

"No!" Doubarou yelled moving to interfer.

"Don't move Nii-san. If Aniki dies you must lead. If you interfe in this Raven may kill you." Tai yelled dodging Raven's attack. Suddenly he kicked at her legs and she fell back. He was on top of her in an instant, his knife cutting into her cheek as she tried to block his furious strikes.

"We have to stop them!" Yuki cried but Soma stopped her.

"If you interfer you'll only get hurt. Tai can handle this," he said praying that he was right.

They heard a grunt as Tai kicked Raven up over her head. Unable to catch his breath he had to lay gasping in the grass while Tai slowly climbed to her feet and stumbled away. She wiped at the blood seeping from her cheek. 'Damn you little brother,' she thought as Raven finally got up. "I can't let you kill me," she told him.

"Try and stop me. I'm pretty desperate. I don't think I can go on living this way. You will give me peace," Raven growled as once again he ran at her.

As he closed in she dropped down causing him to fall over her. Tai turned quickly to see what he could do, but he didn't move. Still unsure if he was trying to trick her Tai moved forward slowly and nudged him with her foot. He didn't move.

"Do you think he's . . . ?" Yuki started as she moved to Tai's side.

"NO! It can't be!" Tai yelled flipping Raven over. The first thing she saw was the sea of red spilling all over him.