Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Saving Grace ❯ Giving In ( Chapter 12 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I don't own the Kenshin-gumi but all original characters and the story line are mine.


Author's notes: Thanks so much to KenshinYaoiBoy and evalhanne. I'm glad you like the story and I'm afraid you'll have to wait for my next story if you want to see any yaoi. I loves it bunches but I haven't perfected at writing it yet. Best wishes and good waves to you both.


Chapter Twelve:
Giving In

Doubarou didn't know what to do so he simply dropped to his knees. Soma stood close by, holding back Aya and Jynx while Yahiko comforted Momo. "This can't be. What's happening? Have we all gone mad?" Yuki screamed, panting and grabbing her hair. Her eyes were wide and rolling wildly. Kenshin had sent Sano for Megumi and now he tried his best to calm the girl and look after Raven and Tai at the same time.

'Kami-sama, help us!" he prayed as Yuki passed out in his arms. He laid her down carefully before hurring on to help Tai. Her eyes were dialated and glazed over as heavy torrents of tears dripped from them. She clutched a once white piece of cloth over Raven's wound where he had stabbed himself as he feel. "Tai-dono," Kenshin said quietly. She didn't move

"Raven, why have you done this? What are you thinking?" she whispered.

Raven slipped in and out of darkness. He felt little pain. Mostly he was just tired, so tired, the constant effort to keep his anger bottled up had exhausted him. He could feel his anger floating in the watery blackness of uncounsiousness. 'So this is death. It's peaceful. I wonder if this is what father felt,' Raven thought. Suddenly he heard a voice.

"What were you thinking?"

'Tai? What does she want? What was I thinking?' Raven thought his brow furrowed. "I need peace," he whispered, his eyes were closed and his face relaxed.

"I. . . I . . . I'm sorry Raven." Tai cried. She still held the piece of white kimono over Raven's wound. She had hoped to keep it free of blood, but it had been the only thing she coud find to staunch the wound and now it was soaked in blood. "I don't want you to die." They heard the door slide open and pounding feet as Megumi ran towards them.

"Go in peace knowing you have released me from my maddness, but don't think that means I don't hate you." Raven whispered with a smile, before his eyes dulled and rolled back in death.

"Raven! Raven! Wake up!" Tai yelled. Megumi stood over them her hand over her mouth. Kenshin tried to pull Tai away from the sight but her hands, still warm with Raven's blood, wouldn't release the body. She sat rigid crying silently. The tears left trails of blood as they ran along her skin. 'How can this happen? It's not true. He's not really dead,' Tai thought desperately. "Wake up please," she whispered before stumbling to to her feet.

Soma moved forward slowly, Aya and Jynx clinging to his legs. "Why isn't he moving?" Aya asked.

"He. . . he's gone." Soma croaked.

"But. . ."

"Stop it Aya. Raven is dead and he is never going to move agian," Tai said her voice thick. She was covered in dirt, blood, and brusies. "You should call the police Kamiya-san and have them pick up Hitomi-san."

"What will we do with Raven-dono?"

"I will take care of him."

"No! I. . ." Doubarou began. Tai clenched her fists silencing him.

"I will come with you, to help if you wish," Sano said bowing low.

Tai looked at him hard. "Fine, I can't carry him by myself anyway," she growled as she stalked away into the night. Sano followed close behind carrying Raven's prone form.

Kenshin looked out into the misty morning. It had been a long night. After Sano and Tai had left, a small slithering man had come to claim Hitomi. Kenshin had managed to end the exchange peacefully but it was still tiring. As soon as it was over they had hurried back to watch over Sirius and treat each others injuries. It was just before dawn when Sirius woke, his fever gone. Megumi had gone home soon after. When the sun rose everyone was laying around half asleep waiting for Sano and Tai's return.

Kenshin twitched suddenly when he felt someone move behind him. "You shouldn't be up and about so soon Sirius-san," he said quietly trying not to wake Soma, who sat propped against the wall nearby, or Yuki, who slept with her head on Soma's shoulder.

"I'm fine, Himura-san," Sirius whispered as he sat down next to Kenshin. He laid back and stared at the ceiling.

In the early morning light Kenshin could see the bruises on Sirius's face and chest. His eyes were helf closed, he face relaxed. His hair was splayed out on the floor beside him like a splash of onyx. "Did anyone tell you. . ." Kenshin began heisitently.

"That Raven is dead?" Sirius interupted. "Yes, Doubarou told me when I woke up. He said Tai and that tall friend of yours took his body," Sirius told him thoughtfully.

"Why didn't she wait for you? Why did she want to go alone," Kenshin asked in confusion.

"It's just what she does. It's her penence. She most likly blames herself for Raven's death so she will scratch out his grave with her bare hands." They sat silently in thought while the sun came up and the mist thined away. "He wasn't a bad kid," Sirius said slowly.

"Raven-dono, you mean?"

"Yeah. He was strong and brutally honest, most times. He had a few problems. He stoled things, even when he was too young to talk. I don't know if it was really his fault though. He just couldn't . . . deal with emotions," Sirius said with difficulty. "He wouls bottle them up inside. It made him distrustful of everyone, but he was a good boy." Sirius mumbled brushing aside tears.

Kenshin looked away uncomfortably. "When do you think Tai and Sanosuke will return?" he asked when Sirius had managed to collect himself.

"Soon, very soon." Sirius told him drowsily. He was still weak and soon slipped back into sleep.

Kenshin sighed and looked back out into the yard. The ground was trampled and beaten down. The dirt was tinged red where Hitomi and Raven had bled out. Suddenly he saw the get slide open. Sano stepped through and Tai stumbled in after him, as Kenshin quickly climbed to his feet. Sano tried to offer Tai his arm but she stubbornly refused and tried her best to walk on her own. Kenshin shook his head and walked forward to meet her halfway. "Tai-dono?" he rolled softly when she stopped in front of him.

"Himura-san," she said brokenly her head down. "I. . . I. . .I buried my brother outside Yokohama." She showed him her hands, they were crusted in dry blood and dirt.

Kenshin reached out and pulled her to him. "You shouldn't blame yourself, Tai-dono, that you should not."

"But I . . . I killed him."

"No you didn't. He took his own life, that he did. Besides he told you to go in peace. You should do that, indeed you should."

"Peace!" she cried bursting into tears. Her legs gave out, but Kenshin caught her. He rubbed her back trying to shush her uncontrolled sobbing. After a few moments she quieted. "I should go in peace?" she questioned, her voice muffled against him.

"Yes, you should." Kenshin assured her as he carried her inside.