Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Saving Grace ❯ Saving Grace ( Epilogue )

[ A - All Readers ]
Disclaimer: I don't own the Kenshin-gumi but all original characters and the story line are mine.

Epilogue:
Saving Grace

ONE YEAR LATER

Kenshin breathed deep the morning air from his position scrubbing the laundry.

BAM! BAM!

Kenshin started when he heard the knock on the gate. Not sensing any threatening ki he called to Yahiko. "Yahiko, someone is here." The young boy came darting out of the dojo and slide open the gate.

"Hey kid, you gonna let us in or what?" a voice growled as Karou came out of the practice hall, sweat running down the back of her gi.

"Karou-san!" a small voice called as three children came running from around Yahiko.

"Aya! Jynx! Momo! What are you three doing here?" Karou asked as the three children converged on her.

"Aniki said we should come visit and check on you and Kenshin-san." Aya said nodding to Sirius, who had just stepped through the gate.

"Sorry for our sudden arrival Himura-san. We just got into town and no one seemed to be able to wait until we sent a message to you."

"Don't worry. I don't think Karou-dono minds too much," Kenshin said smiling at Karou as she sat on the porch brushing through Momo's long hair while Aya and Jynx chased each other.

"Hey, calm down girls," Yuki called walking in with Doubarou in tow. "Aya don't hit your sister with that!"

"Leave them alone for now Snowflake," Doubarou said, smiling the young children's antics.

"What did you call me?" Yuki growled as she punched him in the head.

"Oww! Nothing!" Doubarou yelped as she chased him. "Soma stop her!"

"Don't get me involved, loser." Soma said his arm folded good naturedly. "Last time I got involved she held me down and tried to make me look like a giesha."

At that Kenshin heard a loud peel of laughter and he turned to see a young girl in dark purple with a sword strapped to her waist. "Tai-dono?" he asked as she came closer.

"Hello, Himura-san," she bowed.

"You look well," Kenshin commented looking her over. The cuts on her face had faded away with hardly any scaring and she didn't seem to have any lasting damage. "I like that color," he said seeing her kimono.

"Yeah I decided to get something new."

"It's not like the others thought," he indicated the other siblings blue clothes.

"I know, I found out blue isn't really my color."

Kenshin smiled. "And have you found peace?" he asked softly.

Tai looked at him for a moment. "Yes, as much peace as one can expect for me," she told him.

"I see," he nodded. They stood in comfortable silence.

SPLASH!!

"Ha! Ha! Ha! Help me! Please!" they suddenly heard Doubarou yell in between wild laughing. They turned to see him trying to climb out of Kenshin's wash tub as Yuki stalked him, brandishing a large stick.

"My name is not Snowflake!" she yelled as she attacked him.

"Do you think there is any hope for a peaceful solution?" Kenshin asked, wincing as Yuki began beating on Doubarou.

"Probably not," Tai answered laughing loudly. Her laughter rang out across the yard as the wind blew the cherry blossoms from the trees.