Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Shakespearean Love ❯ It's Not Easy ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

Shakespearean Love

By Namiko the Daughter of Sekhmet

Chapter One-It's not Easy

Warning: Kenshin is VERY OOC in the beginning of this story. He may or may not revert back to becoming IC. I'm not sure. Also, other characters will be OOC as well. Flames will not be allowed for the way I portray his and others characters.

It wasn't easy living with him, she thought as she climbed out of a sleek black car and walked up to the darkened front door. 'He's not home,' the young woman thought as she inserted her house key into the lock and pushed open the door. She turned and waved to the car that was still sitting by the curb. The driver saw her and pulled away, making a screeching noise as his tires rubbed against the cement curb. She walked inside and examined the darkened house with concern.
"Daddy? I'm home!" she called. The woman walked into the kitchen and walked to the refrigerator and pulled out a can of Pepsi. The front door opened once more and the sound of boots walking through the house alerted her senses. "Daddy?"

"Yeah, it's me Mitsuko. Did you just get home?" asked a weary male voice.
"Ye-yeah. I did. You don't look well. Was it busy at the hospital?"
"Yes, it was. I'm going to bed."
"Aren't you on call tonight?"
"No, not tonight. Clean up any messes you make."
"Daddy?" Her father stopped his trek towards his bedroom to turn and stare wearily at his daughter. "Um, will you be going to our performance?"
"I don't know. I'll try." And with this spoken, he walked into his bedroom and shut the door. Mitsuko sighed and sat down in a chair. She knew that when he said that he would try he really was saying that he wasn't going to come. "Daddy. Everything was better when Mom was here."

Kenshin Himura walked down the tiled halls of his location of employment, the local hospital. Kenshin Himura was the hospital's finest doctor. As a result, he was constantly on call and had no life or time for his only piece of his broken family left, his daughter Mitsuko. Mitsuko was a sophomore in high school and she was deeply involved and dutiful to her love, the stage. The school hosted a sought after Shakespearean Club run by Kaoru Kamiya, a bright and enthusiastic teacher of the arts.

"Oi, Kenshin. You've got a call."
"Hooray for me," said Kenshin unenthusiastically. He picked up the phone and sighed. "Hello?"

"Hello, Kenshin," spoke a soft voice.

"Mehara," growled Kenshin. "You have some nerve calling here."
"I'm-I'm just calling to say that I'm sorry."
"That was four years ago. You should have said sorry then." With this, Kenshin slammed down the phone and glared at the man that had told him about his phone call. "Next time, Sanosuke, ask who is speaking before you give me the telephone," warned Kenshin as he stalked off to begin his rounds.

"All right everybody! Let's go over our lines one more time!" called Kaoru Kamiya. The door flew open and Mitsuko ran in.
"Sorry Kaoru! I had some problems at home," explained Mitsuko. Kaoru smiled at Mitsuko and beckoned the girl towards the stage.
"Oh it's all right Mitsuko. You haven't missed a thing. We just began." Mitsuko smiled and ran up to the stage. The lights flickered on and Mitsuko felt uplifted. The door opened and a tall young man walked in, his green eyes meeting Mitsuko's violet ones.
"Sorry I'm late."
"It's all right. Just take your place." Everyone scrambled to their spots and rehearsal began.

"Thanks for driving me home Ben," said Mitsuko quietly.
"No problem. Is anyone home?"
"Probably not. My dad works late at the hospital."

"Oh, I see. Will you be all right?"
"Dad usually comes a few minutes after I do so yeah, I'll be fine." Ben nodded and watched her get out of the car and walk towards her house. She waved at him and he nodded, pulled away from the curb, and drove home.

"Daddy? Um, Kaoru, I mean, Miss Kamiya, has asked us if we were able to bring in some of our own costumes."
"Why are you telling me this?"

"Well, um, could I please have some money to buy material so I can make my costume?" Kenshin looked up from his meal and handed her forty dollars.
"Don't get careless," he warned. He wiped his mouth with his napkin and moved to bring his plate to the sink when Mitsuko stood up and stared into her father's angry violet eyes.

"Did something happen today at work?"
"Quit pestering. You're just like your mother," growled Kenshin.
"I'm sorry," said Mitsuko sadly. His eyes met hers once more and they were filled with remorse at how he had just treated his only family.
"I'm sorry as well. I didn't mean to snap at you. I guess I need to get some rest. And to the answer to your previous question, Mitsuko, yes, something bad did happen at work." Kenshin walked out of the kitchen and Mitsuko watched him walk away from her. "Daddy," she whispered.

"Uncle, what happened at work yesterday to make Daddy so angry?" asked Mitsuko when she visited her father's childhood friend and her surrogate uncle, Sanosuke. Sanosuke looked up from the chart he was examining and frowned.

"Mitsuko, I-"

"Please, tell me." He sighed and smiled.

"You can weasel anything out of me. Um, Mitsuko, your mother called yesterday." Mitsuko gasped and shakily sat down.
"She-she did?"
"Yeah. And let's just say your father was none too pleased to hear from her."
"I wonder what she had to say."

"I doubt it was anything that your father wanted to hear. You should run along to drama. You don't want to be late."
"What are you doing here Mitsuko? You're not hurt are you?" asked Kenshin as he entered the nurses' station. Mitsuko looked nervous under her father's gaze and Sanosuke stood up.
"Hey, she was just asking me a question on her homework. Don't get angry at her," Sanosuke said as he put a hand on Kenshin's shoulder.
"You're going to be late for drama. Do you want me to drive you?"

"Um, no. Ben is um, out there, waiting for me."
"Very well." Kenshin walked off and entered the doctor's lounge.

"He is really angry," said Mitsuko softly.
"He's just bitter after your mother's departure."

"Yeah, I guess you're right. Well, I'm off. Thanks Uncle Sano."
"No problem."

Kenshin was sipping his coffee when the door opened. A young nurse poked her head in and smiled at him.
"A letter just arrived for you Sir," said the nurse as she handed him a letter printed on pink stationery. Kenshin growled, not at the nurse but at who he knew the letter to be from.

"Thank you."
"You're welcome Sir." The nurse left and Kenshin glared at the letter.
"Mehara."

"Are you feeling any better today, Misao?" questioned a raven haired doctor as he sat beside a young woman's bed. The said woman stared at the doctor and sighed.
"I didn't feel poorly to begin with."
"So your attempted suicide was because you felt great?" he asked, sarcasm filling his voice.
"Listen, I didn't ask to be sent here. So just let me leave and then I'll be out of your hair." She stood up out of the bed and walked towards the window.

"I can't allow you to leave, Misao."
"And why not!?" she asked angrily.

"Because you're sick."
"I'm not sick!" she protested. "I'm perfectly healthy!"
"In body, yes. But in mind, no."
"Are you saying that I'm insane?"
"No, I'm just saying you're troubled in the mind. Why else would you cut yourself up?"
"Because I wanted to." The doctor walked towards her but she pulled out a knife and held it to her wrist. "Don't touch me Aoshi. Don't fix me. I'm fine. Just let me go."

"I can't do that Misao." He moved quickly and snatched the knife from her grasp. "Don't do this. You're hurting yourself and you're hurting me." Misao's eyes narrowed and she pulled out another knife.
"Don't underestimate me Aoshi. I'm not stupid."
"I never said you were." Aoshi was now willing to drop on his knees and beg her to stop this madness when the door opened.
"What in Hades name is going on in here!?" bellowed Kenshin as he stalked towards Misao and wrenched the knife from her grasp. "Aoshi, you said that you were capable of taking care of this patient!"
"I was, until now. She's becoming quite the hostile patient."
"Do we need to put her under security?"
"No. I'm the only security she will be under."
"I don't want him anywhere near me!" yelled Misao. Kenshin sighed and rubbed his temples.
"I have had a stressful day and if I'm lucky I can get over to the high school and watch Mitsuko's rehearsal. So just do something before I do it for you!"

"Fine. Don't worry Himura. I'll take care of her." But Kenshin had not heard him for he had already left the room.

"Fear not thy lovely bride for I shall taketh you and save you from all harm," spoke Ben in a soft gentle voice as he held Mitsuko's hands. The door to the rehearsal room opened and when Kaoru turned to see who had arrived she found herself staring at the most handsome man she had ever seen. Red hair framed his stern face and a pair of golden glasses rested gently on the bridge of his nose.
"Le-let's take five everyone," said Kaoru, still slightly shaken from spotting the man that had just entered. Mitsuko flew from off the stage and embraced the visitor.
"Dad! You made it!"

"I can't stay long. I took off only an hour. I had Doctor Takani take over my rounds."
"I'm glad you came whatever you had to do to do it." Kenshin smiled slightly. "I heard you talked to Mom." Mitsuko felt him stiffen and she knew that had been a wrong move. 'Oh, so he's married,' thought Kaoru sadly. 'Well of course he does! Mitsuko Himura is his daughter!'

"Don't bring her up into the conversation."
"Su-sure Dad." Mitsuko backed away from her father and saw how his eyes were always either angry of sad. "Um, Kaoru, this is my father, Doctor Kenshin Himura," said Mitsuko as she introduced her father to her teacher in hopes of lightning the mood. Kaoru blushed as Kenshin's warm hand found its way to hers. But when she had anticipated that he would kiss her hand, he merely shook her hand and nodded at her. Soon afterwards Kenshin's hand dropped Kaoru's, much to Kaoru's displeasure.
"It is a pleasure to meet you, Miss Kaoru. My daughter speaks much of you."
"She does does she? Well, your daughter is a very talented actress."

"She inherits it honestly."
"You act, Doctor Himura?" Kenshin chuckled.
"No, no. Her mother was quite the actress." Mitsuko caught on to what her father was referring to and caught Kaoru's gaze with hers and flashed her a look that said, 'I'll tell you later.' Kaoru nodded and turned back to Kenshin.
"Will you be watching long?" Kenshin examined his watch and sighed.
"No, I'm afraid not. Mitsuko, perhaps you should visit your aunt in the hospital. She seems to be a little-stressed." Mitsuko put a hand to her mouth.
"No, not again!"
"Yes again and you shouldn't be so loud. Our family affairs certainly are not meant to be voiced."
"Sorry."
"Run up on stage Mitsuko," instructed Kaoru. Mitsuko nodded and ran up to the stage where Ben was relaxing. "Is it your wife's sister that is in the hospital?" asked Kaoru trying to make conversation. Kenshin looked puzzled for a moment but then he laughed.
"No, it's my step sister that is in the hospital. She was never fully adopted by my father when he remarried so her last name is not the same as mine."
"Oh, I see. I feel silly now."
"Nonsense. My sister just has some, problems. And it doesn't help that her ex boyfriend is her doctor."

"Yes, I can understand that. All right everyone! Take it from the top!" Everyone scrambled to their spots and Kenshin watched until he knew that he had to leave.
"Tell Mitsuko that I'm sorry that I had to leave so early," Kenshin whispered to Kaoru as he stood up.
"I will." Kenshin left the room but it was then that Kaoru noticed that something had slipped out of his coat. It was a letter printed on pink stationery. The name Ken was written in a beautiful cursive on the front and Kaoru had a feeling that it was meant for Kenshin's eyes only but Kaoru couldn't help herself.

"That's a rap for tonight people!" Mitsuko grabbed herself and rushed out the door.

"Daddy! Wait!" called Mitsuko. Kenshin was just about to slip into his car when he heard her voice.

"What is it Mitsuko?"
"Um, practice is over. And I was wondering if I could stay at the hospital and do some homework until you go home."
"Sure. Hop in. Maybe you can visit your aunt while you're there."

"Yeah, that sounds nice." Mitsuko slipped inside her father's VERY nice car and smiled at her father. "Why did Mom call?"
"She wanted to apologize for walking out on us like a total-"
"Dad, she always told you not to curse."

"Well, she's not here now is she?" Mitsuko sighed and bowed her head.
"No, she's not." 'But I wish she was. She could keep you under control,' Mitsuko added mentally. Kenshin put his key in the ignition and sped away.

Kaoru sat down in her favorite chair and opened the letter. She felt bad about reading his mail but she was just far too curious for her own good. 'Oh, if he ever found out…' Kaoru opened the letter and stared at the delicate writing…

The Letter…

I didn't mean to hurt you, Ken. It hurt me too. At least Mitsuko understands that I had to leave. She just doesn't understand why. Maybe you'll tell her one day. We made a mistake. We should have gotten married for crying out loud! But you never proposed. I couldn't take your workaholic way of life. I never got to see you. Meet me in the downtown coffee shop. Maybe, just maybe, I'll come back. But only if you show me that you've strayed from your workaholic ways.

Love, Mehara.

Kaoru looked at the letter with disbelief. 'I have to get rid of this letter!' thought Kaoru as she ran into her little office. 'I won't let him get hurt by that woman. I've heard from Mitsuko how hard he works. That woman will never take him back.'

Mitsuko silently entered her father's dark room. Her father liked a nice dark room.
"Daddy?"
"Hmm?" replied a muffled voice from under the heavy covers.
"Ben is um, taking me to school."
"Fine."
"Um, I didn't use all that money you gave me. Do you want it back?"
"No, keep it for lunch."
"All right. Will you be okay?"
"I'm not an invalid Mehara." Mitsuko wanted to gasp but knew she shouldn't.

"I'm not Mom, Daddy." Kenshin slowly sat up in bed and stared through the darkness at the frightened figure of his daughter. He ran a hand through his hair and sighed.
"I'm sorry Mitsuko. Maybe you should get to school. Did you talk to your aunt last night?"
"Well, I went in there to speak with her but she was asleep."
"I see. I imagined they would sedate her after her little outburst. I'll try to talk to her today. You run along to school."
"Daddy, will you be all right?"
"I'm fine Mitsuko. Now go." Mitsuko noticed her father's voice turn stern and she knew there was no way she was going to weasel anything out of him about her mother that day.

"All right. Bye Dad."
"Goodbye." Mitsuko left his room, slightly unnerved about her father. He always made her nervous. She couldn't help but be nervous. He could be quite the intimidating man when he wanted to be and at the present moment it was obvious he had been thinking about her mother. Her parents had never married. They had fallen in love during their high school years and when they both entered college, her mother going for her teaching degree and her father for his medical degree, they had moved in together. But they had never married. Mitsuko was born in the warmth of summer with her father's step sister Misao by Mehara's side. But Kenshin was not present. He was roaming the hospital halls, taking care of his patients. When Mitsuko was twelve years old Mehara had walked out of her daughter and her husband's lives, never to be seen again. When Mitsuko had asked why her mother had all those bags and why her mother had just walked out into the violent storm that was raging outside, Kenshin had calmly answered that her mother was going to a teaching convention which Mitsuko would two years later find to be untrue. Mitsuko knew that her father had told her that because he didn't want her hurt by her mother's departure. And it helped. It truly did.

In a café downtown sat a woman with a pretty face. Her pretty face was framed by unruly brown curls of chestnut and her sad yet smiling brown eyes sparkled in her tea. The woman glanced at her watch and sighed. "I guess some people don't change," she said quietly to herself as she stood up from the table. As she looked out the large and inviting window she saw a beautiful young woman laughing as she walked down the street at the side of a young man. "Mitsuko," whispered the woman. But the man she was searching for was no where near. And so the woman layed two dollars on the table and left. If she couldn't speak with the one she had intended to speak with she would speak with the next best thing; their daughter.