Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Cross ❯ Stolen ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer - I don't own Rurouni Kenshin. Sad, but true.

A/N - Wow everyone. Thanks for the 18 responses. I really appreciate it. And now, without further ado, here is the long awaited chapter two. Wow. I rhymed, 'two' and 'ado', lol.


Silver Cross - Chapter 2 - Stolen

I didn't know they actually liked it. Is there something wrong with them? I wouldn't have let anyone do that to me while I was human.

It's a pleasing sensation for them, like a drug. They say it leaves them weak and tired when it's over, but once they've tried it, they're addicted.

Where do you find these crazy humans?

What do you mean?

I never would've tried it in the first place if I was them! It's sick and I feel horrible when I do it. They beg me to do it.

You have to keep on living.

Yeah, but this isn't my idea of living.

This time Kaoru was right in her conviction that she couldn't sleep. It was five a.m. when she started to doze, only to hear footsteps treading down the hallway. She prepared herself for another bloodthirsty vampire.

It was Ken. He looked much better than he had all night. He had more color to him, giving him the appearance that he was human. Where before he had had an unhealthy pallor to his cheeks, they were pinkish, as if he'd just come if from the cold. His eyes held more life and seemed to have taken on a warm violet tone instead of the customary hard amber she was used to. His long red hair now had a healthy sheen to it. He seemed to positively glow with warmth, power, and energy. He looked concerned when he saw Kaoru still sitting curled up in the far corner.

"Are you alright?" he asked, softly, walking over to her. "Aoshi told me what happened."

"I'll live," she replied, staring up at him with wide eyes, half awed at this transformation.

"I'm sorry. I didn't know she'd come back before Aoshi or I had the chance to explain you to her."

"Who is she?"

"Get up and I'll tell you." He offered her his hand.

She let go of the clock and took it. It was warm and human. She didn't want to know who or what he'd fed on. She let him lead her over to the bed and sit down with her. She wondered if she was in shock.

Held her hand, stroking it as he talked. "That girl is Aoshi's wife. They've both been vampires for one hundred and thirty years. They're from Japan. Aoshi was turned after he almost died in a battle. He told Misao. She decided she couldn't live without him, so he turned her few years later, once she'd grown old enough. They're one of the few couples I know of that have made it that long. They both head the Oniwaban group, ex ninjas who want to continue with their skills even after they've given up their human life. Forgive Misao. She's just a little impulsive. We don't get to feed on humans much. It's bad for you."

Kaoru was slowly coming out of her shock. His hand caressing hers was sending a warm feeling through her whole body. "Why is it bad?" she asked, gazing into his eyes.

"It'll drive you crazy until you want only human blood. You'll wind up killing a human. Vampires like that have to be eliminated." He explained.

"Why couldn't I yell or move or anything when I looked at Misao? I knew what she was trying to do. I should have defended myself."

He chuckled. "Vampires have a hypnotic stare. You must have looked into her eyes for it to take effect."

"Why haven't you done that to me?" she asked. "I've looked into your eyes more than once."

"Don't think I haven't been tempted to," he said in a teasing tone. "Some have more control over a human than others. Misao happens to have great control."

Kaoru suddenly remembered she'd been angry with Ken before he'd left. "I'm not mad at you anymore, Ken. What would be the point?"

"Good. Now go to sleep. The sun's rising in a half hour and I want to talk to Aoshi before it does rise. We'll go shopping for clothes tomorrow. I know you must want to change them by now, but that's impossible."

"It's okay."

"Don't try to leave the apartment while we're asleep. Aoshi's got a top notch burglary system. Nothing gets in or out. You can explore, get something to eat, watch tv, whatever, just don't try to leave."

"I get it," Kaoru said irritably. "You don't have to tell me twice. What did you do to get all healthy again?"

"I fed."

"On a human?"

"No."

Kaoru scrutinized him. "Okay. I guess I'll get some sleep now."

He let go of her hand. He still wanted her. He'd thought feeding on human blood for another night would quench that thirst, but apparently it hadn't. So much for the theory that sex was the cure for everything. He hadn't even felt satisfied afterward. He even felt bad about lying to her. Since when had he felt bad about lying to anyone?

"Good night then." He said, then leaned forward because he couldn't help it. Just one stolen kiss wouldn't change anything. She closed her eyes and tilted her head towards him questioningly, as if waiting for a good night kiss. He gingerly placed his lips on hers, wishing he could stroke her face, but he couldn't risk touching the silver crosses, even though a burn would heal during his sleep. If this was to be his one stolen kiss, so be it.

She'd placed her hands lightly against his chest as if to hold him back. It felt like they'd burned an impression there through his shirt. He probed her lips with his tongue and her mouth was open to him. He plundered it, tasting her emotions on her breath, memorizing the contours forever in his mind. He pulled back when he knew she needed air. She opened her eyes and stared at him, breathing heavily.

Kaoru couldn't believe it. She'd just kissed another guy, even if he wasn't technically human. And she'd actually liked it! She didn't even know him! She felt instantly sorry that she'd betrayed Sou. What would he think if he saw her like she was now? Wearing dirty jeans from running through a cobwebby basement, hot and sweaty from running and fear, day old clothes wrinkled from curling up in a car and on the floor.

She wondered if Ken saw anything in her or if he was just playing with her. She wouldn't put it past him. He didn't seem like the most compassionate guy. He could just be buttering her up so she would take off her earrings and then he could get a bite out of her. Kaoru felt instantly sorry for thinking that about Ken. Even if he was cold mannered and a vampire, he wouldn't do that. At least, she was pretty sure he wouldn't. She wondered if he'd kissed her so she didn't feel dumb. She had been the one to close her eyes and tilt her head up first.

Ken watched with an appalled fascination as the emotions flickered across her face and into her eyes. Horror, guilt, doubt, suspicion, guilt again, then embarrassment. They settled on uncertainty.

"You-you didn't kiss me because you felt you had to, did you?" she asked nervously. "I mean, I did close my eyes." She licked her lips apprehensively and didn't look at him.

"No. I wanted to," he told her softly. "I'm sorry," he apologized, tilting her head up with his finger under her chin so he could meet her eyes. "I know your boyfriend is important to you."

She bit her lip. "Sou is. But when we kissed, it felt so different. I can't explain it."

He remained silent, a finger stroking her chin. The ball was in her court now.

"Promise me you'll get me home in the end," she demanded.

"I promise," he said. He was surprised to find that he fully intended to carry that promise out, even though it meant losing her forever. But what was he thinking? She wasn't even his to lose.

"Then kiss me once more before you go, will you?" she asked wistfully. She wished she was able to tell him off, to yell at him for doing it, slap him, to be more loyal to Sou. But all she could do was ask him to do it again. What was wrong with her? She stopped thinking about it and closed her eyes. This time she opened her mouth as soon as their lips touched and let herself enjoy the french kiss. She wondered if the french had really invented it. She touched one of his canine teeth with her tongue. It was sharp, she tasted blood before he licked it away.

"I'm sorry," he murmured against her mouth, tongue tracing her lips.

"You already said that." She broke away to say.

His mouth was back on hers, tongue violating every part. Sou had never kissed her like this. She wondered why. Then she stopped thinking of Sou, only of this mystery in front of her. When he pulled away her lips felt puffy and bruised. He dropped a last light kiss on them and stood, backing away from her.

"If I don't leave now, I'll never talk to Aoshi. I'll see you tomorrow night, okay?" He told her softly. "Try to get some sleep."

Kaoru just nodded and watched as he turned off the light and shut the door. His footsteps receded down the hallway. She was alone with her thoughts. The guilt came flooding in. She found she was too tired to care. She climbed under the covers, dirty clothes and all. She slept.

Why do we get so tired when it's almost light? I wish I could just see the sun one more time.

That's just the way it is. Stop whining to me about it.

I know you want to see the sun again. Maybe they'll invent something that lets you.

Why would they? They're all human. All they have to do is go outside. Besides, you're afraid of technology.

I knew you were bitter about it. It's in your voice every time I talk about the light. I swear I'll never get as cold as you toward life.

"Why is she here?" Misao asked, curled up on the couch next to Aoshi, as Ken walked into the room.

"She has no other place to go for a few days. I'll take her back when I'm sure it's safe," he assured her in a neutral tone, seating himself in a chair across from the couple. "I am sorry I had to impose on you."


Aoshi smirked, leveling his piercing sapphire blue eyes on him. "I'll bet you are. You know I wouldn't let you keep her here unless it was you calling in a favor."

"I wouldn't have called it in if I had a safe house in the city."

"Yeah, you would have saved the favor for something bigger," Misao put in. She leaned forward. "Tell me what you're keeping her for, Ken. You could have dropped her off at a human police station and they would've protected her. What's so special about her?"

"I admit I am curious," her husband requested.

Ken sighed inwardly. While he might have managed to deflect Misao's question, he couldn't refuse his hosts when they asked so plainly. They were the two vampires with the most power on the east coast of the US. He imagined in another age, they would have been a ruling king and queen. Aoshi sat there on the sofa, customary cold look on his face, with his mate by his side. Even for as powerful a vampire as Ken was, their request was a command. He would have to confide in them enough to satisfy Misao's curiosity.

"You both know I am bored with this existence," he began the explanation.

Misao nodded and Aoshi inclined his head slightly. Ken took that as a yes.

"I came across her when I was letting the hunters get close to me for a little distraction. She's a waitress at the place I ate for a few nights. I-"

Misao leaned towards Ken excitedly. "She caught your eye and you fell madly in love with her. Just as you were going to sweep her away to a sleazy hotel for a tasty, um, snack, the hunters caught up to you and you had to flee away into the night. That's what happened, right?"

"You haven't really changed. Of course it's not," Ken said scornfully.

"Sure it's not," Misao said knowingly. "Anyway, I want you to know that I don't hold a grudge against Kaoru about what happened when I came home. I was tired and she was just too much of a temptation. I only went back there for some extra sheets . . ." Misao drifted off for a moment. "I'm going to apologize to her and try to win her over tomorrow night. She's not too broke up about it is she?"

"No," Kenshin answered, willing Kaoru not to be too broken up about it. He glanced at Aoshi, who was clearly not happy about his wife's decision to forgive and forget.

Misao continued on, ignoring his discontent. "Good. I was just coming back from feeding, so it's not like I need the blood anyway. Aoshi tells me you were in pretty bad shape when you brought her in, almost beyond the point of feeding yourself. You must have a lot of will power to resist taking a sip of her. I'm glad we're allies, Ken," she finished, standing. "Now I'll leave you two men to discuss things." She kissed her husband on the cheek, nodded to Ken, and slipped away.

Aoshi waited until she couldn't possibly be within hearing range, even for a vampire, before he spoke. "Why are you in New York?"

"I guess you wouldn't believe me if I said I was just dropping in to see you."

Aoshi simply gazed at him, true iceman that he was.

"I'm here for information. This is a great city for that as you no doubt know."

"So then you're still after him. I don't appreciate you coming here and endangering my wife, Ken. I told you not to come back until you were over defeating him."

"He doesn't know my whereabouts. I'll only be here for a couple nights. You and Misao are perfectly safe, even without the rest of the Oniwaban here, you know that."

"Nonetheless, I don't like it. You'll have to get out ASAP."


Ken sighed silently. He'd known it would come to that. "I will. I'll make arrangements to leave tomorrow night and we'll be gone the next."

"Thank you." Aoshi had the grace to say. "You know I'm not happy that I have to kick you out."

"I know and I understand, Aoshi. Killing him is not a personal thing for you and you would rather keep Misao and the Oniwaban safe."

"You understand my thoughts then."

"Yes. They would not be opposed to fighting him. Are you sure they would appreciate your reasons?" Ken asked. He felt he had to bring that truth to Aoshi's eyes, even though it would have no effect on his decision.

"I am aware." Aoshi frowned. "But I am their leader and I know what's best for them. Let's not argue this issue. We've been over it too many times."

"Fine. It's time to sleep anyway." Ken gave in.

"And none of this conversation goes to Misao." Aoshi ordered, standing.

"Understood," Ken agreed, standing as well. "How have things been going between you two lately anyway?" he asked, dropping the formal tone.

Aoshi sighed, barely audibly. "We are fine. She'd headstrong as always, but I still love her." He walked to the door as Ken followed.

"That's good. You two are lucky."

"I know. You could settle down with someone and be just as lucky you know."

Ken laughed. "It's not my thing, Aoshi. I doubt a woman could keep me interested for the rest of eternity, or until a hunter catches up to one or both of us."

"Very well. I know you won't even consider the idea, but I still say you should meditate on it." Aoshi advised gravely as they exited the room.

Ken followed him down the hallway with a groan. "Don't start on meditation with me, Aoshi. I've tried it and it's helped me about as much as it's helped Misao stay quiet."

"Whatever, Ken." Aoshi muttered.

You can't go out in the sun anymore. Instead of birds, bats will be the only creatures to grace the sky when you're awake.

I won't forgive you for this.

You sound like a small child. Get hold of yourself. You are twenty-three and I saved you from death. You should be grateful.

I will survive on my own eventually, and you won't ever hear from me again.

Is that so? Well until the day comes when you have contacts, people you can go to for shelter from the day, I'm afraid you're stuck with me.

Why am I so tired?

The sun's about to rise. It's your own body protecting yourself.

Kaoru was at high school graduation. She was dressed again in her rented white robe with the gold tassel dangling in her right eye, holding her diploma. She was finally graduated, slipping through the masses, saying goodbyes to all the class mates she'd never see again. Where were her parents? There was her dad's head up above the crowd. She pushed her way towards him, but the crowd refused to part. He was walking away, gone, but there was Sou. He pushed his way towards her, but one of his buddies stopped him. He gave her an apologetic look and turned away. Then Ken stepped in front of her. She started, what was he doing out here in the evening light? Wasn't he supposed to be asleep. The rest of the world slipped away around them and he pulled her tight to him. She hid her face in his chest from the receding world that was ebbing away like the tide.

Kaoru woke up with a start. Daylight peeped in under her closed eyelids, cranking them open. Light came in through the drapes. She groaned and rolled over, picking up the alarm clock that she'd left on the floor by her bed the night before. She gazed at the red digits blearily. 4:16. Ken would likely have her up until dawn again. She tried to go back to sleep. It didn't work. She remembered that she was in New York City instead of home and bolted upright. A vampire had brought her here. So it hadn't all been a dream. She'd half wished it was.

She decided to explore the apartment, find the kitchen, then find the shower. Hopefully they had a washing machine and dryer around here somewhere too, her clothes smelled all sweaty. She wondered if vampires used deodorant or if they at least had any lying around for after her shower. . .

We've got a big battle on our hands here, men. May you all come through it with your life.

How close is the enemy?

Battousai. Only you would address me without the proper rank. They should be here in a matter of minutes. May God be with you all. Dismissed.

As always, when he first swam to consciousness he heard the sound of his mother's voice singing him an ancient lullaby long forgotten by all but him. Then her voice faded away and he was caught in a panic because he could not wake up quickly. He fought to open his eyes, the conviction that his past enemies were gathered around him ready to drive swords in and out of his flesh growing in the back of his mind. But he could not move or open his eyes for twenty minutes, and he knew the sun was setting. Then, as the last slivers of light faded from the sky, he could open his eyes. He stared up at the ceiling. The air was a great weight. He couldn't move under it's pressure. It seemed a wonder his lungs weren't crushed. But then again, he didn't really need them to breathe. Then the sun must have completely set, because in the space of a minute, the air thinned and he could move again.

Ken sat up and probed his surroundings with his senses. There was noone in the room but him, no enemy crouched in the corner about to rush him. No faces leering from the shadows. He knew someday there would be, or else he simply wouldn't wake up because they'd found him in his sleep. It was the fate that befell all vampires sooner or later. An enemy or an incautious friend was the death of them.

Ken probed farther. There were Aoshi and Misao a few rooms away, growing accustomed to their surroundings like he was. And there was Kaoru, on the other side of the apartment. He shouldn't be able to sense her. She wasn't one of his kind. He hadn't been around her long enough to know her smell, her energy signal. But there she was, heartbeat regular. Then he remembered the blood. He'd tasted the blood on her tongue. It shouldn't have been enough to form a link, but there it was, a thrumming chain of energy between them. He hadn't meant to create a link, he must have done it subconsciously. Now he'd really have to bring her along. She could be a useful link in the chain to his revenge. He decided he'd take her with him tonight and hoped she'd had the sense to get enough rest.

Please, join me for a drink. I'm sure you'd enjoy some sake.

I don't have time for that. Don't you know who I am?

Battousai the manslayer. Just a human.

What's that supposed to mean?

Join me and you may find out.

"It's Friday night. There's not that much on," a friendly voice said from behind where Kaoru sat on the couch, flipping channels.

Kaoru started. There had been no sound besides her own movements in the penthouse apartment since she'd woken. It must be one of the vampires. She turned around on the couch to the doorway behind her. It was the girl from last night. In the light Kaoru could see that she was actually a young woman, although Ken had told her that she was over one hundred and fifty. She walked around and sat next to Kaoru as close as if they were friends with all the grace of a ninja and more besides.

She laughed. "Well I admit I had hoped I hadn't scared you that much last night. Aren't you going to say hello?"

"Hi," Kaoru said warily.

The female vampire sighed. "I know I've done nothing to earn your trust, but I am not going to hurt you. I'm sorry about last night. Will you accept my apology? It's been so long since I talked with a human," she finished wistfully.

Kaoru hoped she was earnest. She wondered where Ken was and why he wasn't here. He'd asked her to forgive this 'Misao' though, and she thought she should trust his judgment.

"I forgive you," Kaoru said softly.

"Really? Great!"

Kaoru couldn't help but perk up a bit at her enthusiasm.

"So tell me how you wound up with Ken then," she requested, settling down as if for a good ghost story.

Hesitantly, Kaoru started with the first night she'd seen him.

Were you ever in love with her before she turned you?

I thought I was.

It's good you know you weren't then.

I didn't say that.

But you meant it. She still around?

I don't know and I don't want to know.

Aoshi was waiting outside the door when Ken came out into the hallway after having cleaned himself up in the adjoining bathroom.

"Misao's been with your female since she woke, talking. I won't be very happy if she forms an attachment for the girl," he informed Ken as they walked down the hallway. "But it's probably already happened."

Ken smirked. "Just hope she doesn't want to go and visit her or anything once I return her back to her home."

"So then you are returning her. We had wondered."

Ken glanced up at the taller man. "There's no cause to wonder."

"I disagree. You haven't involved yourself with anyone in a while, Ken. I can't stand listening to Misao moan about how she wants to find you and cheer you up. This girl could be good for you. But since you obviously don't want to consider that possibility, I'll let it slide."

"Gee, thanks, Aoshi," Ken replied sarcastically, following Aoshi into the living room where Misao and Kaoru sat on the couch, a television show droning in the background.

"Oh look, Kao, it's the big dumb men," Misao snickered.

In came Aoshi, tall and imposing as ever. Kaoru wondered if he ever lost that calm look in his eyes. She rather doubted it. If he ever did, his wife probably wouldn't know what to do with herself. From what she'd told Kaoru, she took great pride in trying to crack his facade, but Kaoru thought she rather preferred it. It certainly counteracted her bouncy, impulsive nature. Kaoru had never expected that she'd describe a vampire as 'bouncy', but it was true. The girl was the total opposite of Aoshi and Ken, but Kaoru knew she held great affection for both.

And there was Ken, just behind Aoshi. Her heart caught in her throat and she held her breath for a moment. How would her react? He simply sat down in a chair next to Aoshi, nodded to her, and turned his attention to Misao, who was certainly commanding it. Kaoru started breathing again and her heart slid back down her throat. So he was going to act like nothing happened? Well she could deal with that. Then she wouldn't feel guilty whenever she thought of Sou.

"What did I do to deserve that?" Aoshi was asking meanwhile. He didn't seem angry or the least bit frazzled by his wife's attack on his intelligence.

"If you weren't dumb you wouldn't have to ask, Aoshi. And Ken's dumb for a completely different reason, but I can hardly call him big," Misao scolded her husband, flashing Ken a smile.

Aoshi rolled his eyes and closed them to meditate. Kaoru thought he seemed very good at tuning out the world.

"Well you're not going to be very happy with what I tell you next then," Ken put in.

"Then don't tell me. Life was peachy keen until you and that big lug of a husband came in here. Just leave me to talk with my girl."

"You've been talking for twenty minutes and she's already your girl?" Ken asked dubiously.

"Yup! I bet I know more about her than you," Misao challenged. Kaoru wished Misao wouldn't bring her into this. They looked like they'd been accustomed to arguing with each other for quite some time.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"That you're an inconsiderate bastard who doesn't know how to treat a lady."

Kaoru was shocked that she dared to call him that. She was even more surprised at Ken's relaxed response.

He laughed. "Are you listening to your wife, Aoshi?"

There was no reply.

"Guess I'm not getting any help from him. What's so bad about how I treat a lady? I don't see any here."

Misao jumped up from her seat on the couch. "You've got a lota nerve, Ken! Someone needs to come along and knock some sense into that thick skull of yours! Aoshi, ask me any question about Kao. I bet you I can answer it and you can't, Ken. And we'll do best of five. If I win you better give Kaoru a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T."

"What happens if I win, and what makes you think I don't respect her?"

"You haven't even said one word to her today. That's not very respectful."

Ken inclined his head toward Kaoru. "Hi."

"That's not good enough and you know it!" Misao practically shrieked. "Start Aoshi!"

Aoshi jerked out of his meditative state. "Favorite color?"

"Turquoise."

"Food?"

"Grilled cheese sandwiches."

"Drink?"

"Chocolate milk."

"Siblings?"

"No."

"First cousins?"

"Seven on her mother's side, Twelve on her father's."

"That wasn't fair!" Ken protested. "Get up, we're going out," he ordered Kaoru, rising.

"Oh no you don't! You didn't even ask her if she wanted to go with you and you can't get away with this, Ken!"

"She's coming with me whether she wants to or not, she's not under your protection."

"But you are both under my roof and I say to ask nicely before I get really angry."

Ken narrowed his eyes at her in annoyance. Arguing with Misao was all well and good but this was getting ridiculous and it was taking too long. He stood. "Would you like to come with me?" he asked Kaoru, giving her the most commanding look he could muster that told her it was not a choice. Despite whatever trash Misao had filled her mind with, he was the one in charge of her.

Kaoru stood quickly. She didn't like the friction that was starting to build between Ken and Misao, and who couldn't help quaking under the look Ken was giving her? She wished he'd lighten up again.

"Sure," she managed, then remained standing awkwardly.

Misao apparently knew when she was beat because she gave a huge reluctant sigh. "Fine, Ken, stay a stubborn idiot. What were you going to tell me before?"

"We will be leaving tomorrow night."

Kaoru looked at him quickly. Was he taking her back home tomorrow night then? Surely the hunters wouldn't be hanging around still. She wanted to sigh with relief. Living around Ken was exhausting, and she hadn't even really done anything but let him drag her around.

"Figures," Misao muttered. She strode past them both. "I my as well lead you to the door then. I had planned on spending the night with Aoshi having a little fun with the rest of the Oniwaban gone anyway."

Ken and Kaoru followed her to the door in silence.

"Good luck, Kao," Misao whispered as she walked out the door. "I hope you both return safe and sound tonight."

"Thanks," Kaoru replied. She heard the door shut softly behind her. She was rather glad to be out of there. She didn't really know what to make of the female vampire, although she seemed sincere enough. It was nice to be away from the flurry of her actions. Hopefully Ken wasn't taking her anywhere too exciting. She didn't want to have to fear for her life again anytime soon. If anything, the trip promised to be quiet. He hadn't said a word since they'd left the penthouse apartment and didn't look likely to any time soon. Wherever he was taking her, it was going to be a long night.

How's Megumi?

Married with children and ten years older. It's not fair.

No. . .Did she see you?

Yeah. She was making a midnightdelivery so I dropped in to walk her back.

You still love her.

How can I not? I hate this! I should never have left. I could've worked on her, she would have come around and let me change her.

It's too late now.

I know that! Let's go.

Now? We've only got two hours left.

I have to get out of here, have to get on the move. I can't think about her anymore.

No. We'll leave tomorrow. We'd be stuck in the woods if we left now.

I know a cave. I'm leaving. You never loved a woman like I love Megumi. You don't understand. She cried and I cried. When's the last time I cried?!

Fine then. We'll go.

"A department store?" Kaoru asked from behind as he walked in, jolting Ken from his thoughts of Sano. It had been a quiet ride from Aoshi's apartment building to a parking garage downtown and a quiet walk through the thickly populated streets.

Ken didn't bother to reply. If he walked in, then surely she could tell that was where they were going. Kaoru seemed to get the hint because she didn't say anything else. He strode up to the counter and the male desk clerk that looked like he had something stuck up his butt and demanded to see Kamatari.

The clerk didn't even look up. "I'm sorry, sir, but I'm not a messenger boy. How am I supposed to know where he is or even what floor he's on?" the man asked in an annoyed tone.

"Then page him. I want him down here now," Ken said, annoyed, letting a threat creep into his voice.

"Are you threatening me, sir?" He asked, looking up and meeting Ken's eyes angrily.

Kaoru saw Ken use his the hypnotic stare that he'd told her all vampires used. While she couldn't see his gaze since his back was to her, she clearly saw the effects on the man. His gaze went dreamy and as if in a haze, he reached for the pager device spoke into it. His voice sounded calm and normal.

"Kamatari to the entrance desk. Kamatari to the entrance desk."

"Thank you," Ken said, voice icy cold once more. He must have released his hold over the man because he suddenly looked angry and flustered, but remained silent, opening a magazine and doing his best to ignore them.

Since Ken simply stood by the side of the desk, Kaoru thought it wise to remain silent. She wondered who Ken needed to talk to in a department store. She wasn't very happy with the way he had distanced himself from her so completely since the night before. He was being jerkish and intimidating and she knew that he knew it. What had made him this way? His talk with Aoshi? Had he simply reevaluated her situation and decided she was just an appendage to keep around until he found the time to take her back? She felt lost and alone and naked standing there without her purse. It would have been at least some comfort. She wasn't used to the city and didn't like it in the least.

Kaoru took stock of her resources if Ken were to abandon her. She had only about fifty dollars and a few ID cards in her wallet. Then there were the clothes on her back. Not much resource unless she could somehow find a branch of her bank. She could always rely on Misao if the female vampire wasn't hungry and if she could get to Misao without running into Aoshi first, but then Kaoru realized she didn't even know the address of the apartment building. But she had to do something instead of follow this alien Ken around the city. He only talked when he had to order her to do something, and even then he didn't look at her. Just as Kaoru had decided she may as well tell Ken that she was going to make it on her own and simply walk out, surely the hunters had given up interest in her by now, the strangest man walked out of the elevators to her left and walked towards Ken with a smile, arms open.

"Why hello! I had a feeling it was you!" he exclaimed, moving to hug Ken.

Ken held a hand out in front of him and gave him the coldest glare he'd managed yet in Kaoru's opinion. "No hugs."

The man looked disappointed and slowly dropped his arms. "Aww, Ken-nii, you're so gloomy," he pouted. Then he noticed Kaoru staring openly at him and grinned. "Oh, do you like the outfit?" He gave a twirl, showing off his black sleeveless form fitting suit with thin white pinstripes and black high heels. "Bought it at Boscov's for a song." It was a decidedly feminine outfit.

"It's cute," Kaoru said sincerely.

"Are you with Ken-nii then?" he asked with his hands on his hips, ignoring Ken, who rolled his eyes.

"For now," Kaoru answered, not daring to look at Ken. She knew he'd wonder what she meant by that.

Meanwhile, the male cross-dresser who was very actually prettier than the average female, had drawn closer to her. "Hmm. Do I sense a little tension here? Well don't worry, hon, I'll take care of you." He flashed her a smile. Kaoru could see his fangs for a moment and she knew he'd shown her on purpose. She hoped Ken wouldn't leave her alone with this guy.

Kaoru made a weak effort to smile back and then he turned back to Ken.

"Are you sure I can't give you a hug? It's been so long, sweetheart," he asked.

"No. I need you to outfit her with clothes for any situation. Money is no object. Also suitcases to fit all the stuff and a few outfits for me. No clothes like last time."

"This'll be fun, but I don't even get an explanation? You know I'm curious, Ken-nii."

"I'm not telling you anything. I'll be back in an hour. Don't mess with her," Ken threatened, turning on his heel and walking out the door.

"Well!" the man huffed. "He's certainly not in the best of moods."


"No," Kaoru agreed. She wished he would stop taking her places and leaving her alone. She didn't suppose he planned on taking her back anytime soon if he was going to pay for a whole bunch of clothes.

The cross-dressing man seemed to remember she was there and turned to her, surveying her up and down. "Well finding clothes for you will be fun, anyway." He grabbed her hand and dragged her merrily towards the elevators. "You've got a nice figure. I wish I had those hips. Hmm. Should we start with a swimsuit so I can see what size you are? Yes, I think that would be best."

"Um. I hardly think Ken's going to take me swimming!" Kaoru protested.

"Nonsense! You might have to go undercover at a beach party or something. If you do, we need to make sure you look good," he gushed, pulling her into an empty elevator. "So how did a yummy thing like you end up with Ken? You're not one of his contacts."

Kaoru didn't like being referred to as 'yummy' by anyone, and especially by a vampire. Why couldn't Ken take her to someone who was human? And what was a contact anyway? "It's a long story," she said cautiously.

"Oh I love a good yarn. You can tell me while I'm outfitting you." He pushed a floor button.

"Will you tell me what a contact is then?"

He looked surprised. "You mean you don't even know what a contact is? Girl, now I have to know your story!"

"Promise you'll tell me then?" Kaoru asked. She knew that if she was going to be hanging around Ken she needed to know more about vampires and how they operated. It certainly didn't seem like he was going to tell her anytime soon. She wished he would loosen up. Things would go a lot easier for both of them if she knew what she was supposed to do and how to act around all these vampires she was meeting.

"I promise, hon! You can trust me word. Oh forgive me! That bastard, Ken, didn't even both to introduce us. He doesn't know how to treat a lady! My name's Kamatari." He held out his hand.

Kaoru took it. Hmm. That was the second person this morning that had called Ken the b-word and said he didn't know how to treat a lady. "Kaoru Kamiya."

They shook. The elevator door opened. Swimsuits galore lined the walls and adorned the racks. Kamatari didn't let go of her hand, but pulled her out of the elevator. "This is going to be so much fun!" he squealed.

You haven't figured out what I am yet, Battousai?

A beautiful woman who always seems to find me at night no matter where I am.

You don't need to know anymore?

Don't look so sad. Don't I make you happy?

Yes. Fun to play with. My new toy.

You dare to speak of Battousai the manslayer as a toy?

Yes. Now what are you going to do about it?

"Why it can't be! I haven't seen you around here for some time, Ken! How's my favorite idiot vampire?"


"Not so loud, Katsu. I don't want you broadcasting the fact that I'm in the city until I'm gone." Ken glanced around the tourist shop, giving each customer a glance. None were vampires that he could sense, but if one had just fed he or she would give off a mostly human scent. He might not detect the truth until they came within five feet of him.

Katsu nodded. "Sounds fair enough. So who's your business with? Me or the Sekihoutai?"

"I need to talk to you, ask you a few questions."

The black haired man nodded. "Follow me into the back room then. The clerks can handle my shift for a few minutes." He walked from behind the counter and into a door marked 'Employee Only', not bothering to be courteous and hold the door open for the other man.

Ken sighed and walked in after him, following him down a lit hallway and to an office at the end. Katsu sat behind a desk, motioning for Ken to sit in a chair in front of it. Ken sat.

"So what up?" Katsu asked, unconsciously pulling at the cloth of his long sleeved black shirt with one hand.

"That's what I came here to find out. What're the latest rumors?" Ken asked, glancing around the office, scanning for places where an attacker could be hidden.

"You mean about our dark leader? Most say he's traversing Europe with a new woman, a hot chick but a frigid one as the tales go."

"What do the rest say?"

Katsu shrugged. "That he's lying low in California, planning something. Southern California, I'd start in LA. But that's all I know about the issue. Can't dwell on him too much, and I only tell people he's in Europe. Don't want him to catch on to my whereabouts. You still going after him, idiot?"

"Yeah. Any rumors going around about hunters? The Jineh family's latest spawn hired Enishi to track me."

"They're getting serious huh? Nah. Last I heard, he torched some apartment building in Pennsylvania. That didn't have anything to do with you, did it?" he asked, leaning forward across the desk in his chair.

"Why do you think they torched the place?" Ken smirked, leaning back his chair and crossing his arms. He was satisfied that noone was lying in wait. Paranoia of people or worse out to get him was the only thing that had enabled him to survive as long as he had.

Katsu smirked back at him and leaned back in his chair. "I shoulda known. You gonna fill me in on the circumstances so I can make it really juicy when I spread the word around?"

"Nah."

"Didn't think so. Fine. Be a jerk. Hey, I just remembered a lead I might have for you that you could act on tonight."

Ken sighed. Katsu was not the type to give away information freely, even to an old acquaintance. "What do you want?"

"That's more like it. You know I only trade in information, but I've decided to start a small newspaper for vamps. You know anyone in the city with the funds?" he asked idly.

"You know I do."

"Good. So fix me up with the Shinomoris. They'd get all the information before I published it and half the profits."

"I'll have Aoshi drop by," Ken agreed, figuring Aoshi would be up to it and would count the Sekihoutai as a valuable asset. The were the only fraction he didn't control in New York, although they certainly knew he was a force to be reckoned with and gave him the proper respect.

"Great. I'll hold you to that, Ken."

"Tell me the lead."

Katsu leaned forward in his chair once more. "A couple of his gang have just landed in town on vacation and are hanging around this vamp night club. They're pretty wild and hang around with six or seven human contacts. Don't ask me how they got 'em when they've only been here a few days. For all I know the contacts could have come with them because none of my usual girls have ever seen them before."

"New York's a big place."

"Tell me about it. But no one's seen these particular female contacts before. The two vamps are always on the lookout to recruit another human girl. They're kept so well fed that they only take occasional sips and the girls can withstand it. The two vamps have bragged about their leader a few times. They'll talk easy if you were to persuade them. But they're packing weapons. No silver bullets, just ordinary ones. A warning, you know?"

"I know. What's the club called?"

"Shinta. It's pretty high class, but I can get you in." Katsu oozed confidence.

"How about two people?" Ken asked. A plan was starting to form in his mind.

"Depends. Female or male?"

"Female."

"It'll be easy. You're a couple. When did you start hanging around with a honey, idiot? I didn't know one would have you."

Ken glared at him. "It's not like that. She's human. I can use her as bait."

"I'm not sure that would be wise. She could get pretty messed up with these guys. She hooked?"

"No."

"Why are you with her then? She have anything to do with the hunters burning that apartment down?"

"You're good. No," Ken lied through his teeth. "Don't mention her for a few nights okay?"

"I'll give you two. Shinta's on the outskirts of Manhattan, around the docks." He reached into his desk and pulled out a couple VIP cards. He tossed them to Ken "How long are you going to be in town, idiot? We should hang out. Talk about old times."

Ken pocketed the cards in his worn jeans. "I'm leaving tomorrow night if my contact's still dependable. And I can't talk about him with a clear conscious until I kill the dark one, Katsu."

"He wouldn't want you risking your life all the time like this, Ken. How many close calls have you had in the past ten years hunting for the dark one? About as many as you had in your whole life since you became a vampire?"

"I can't just settle down, not while he's alive."

Katsu shook his head. "I know I'm noone to give you advice-"

"Then don't," Ken cut him off, standing. "I know you were more his friend than mine, but we've always been okay with each other. Don't ruin it now. Thanks for the information. I'll be sure to fill my end of the deal and tell Aoshi. Goodbye, Katsu." Ken turned and left the room.

"Goodbye, Ken," Katsu said with a heavy heart, watching his friend's form disappear around the corner.

Ken, this country is real weird. Why did we come here again?

You wanted to be where it's warm.

I know, but the natives all wear grass skirts and they don't care that there's a volcano on their island.

Different cultures do different things. I'm not going to try to figure them out.

You're just bitter because they put all those flower necklaces on you and all the women fussed over how cute you were.

You don't know they were saying that!

Oh please. It's cause you're little that's why.

I'm not little, I'm stocky. Now go away and play with the island girls again or something.

Ken, Ken. Why is height such a sensitive issue with you?

Shut up.

"Kamatari, do you mind if I ask you something?" Kaoru asked as she modeled shoes for him, walking back and forth along a runway.

He lifted his gaze to her eyes mildly. "Why I suppose it depends on the question, honey. But come down here, I think that pair is stylish enough." He reached up for her hand and guided her down the steps. "Ask away," he instructed as she sat down to take off the shoes.

"What are contacts and why did you think I was one of Ken's?"

"Oh, is that all you wanted to ask me?" he giggled. He turned to a nearby clerk. "Send those boxes down to the front desk with the others I sent earlier," he instructed, gesturing to the ten shoe boxes. A few pairs for Ken, but the rest for her. He waited until the clerk had gone. "I couldn't say anything in front of him. He doesn't know I'm a vamp. Might play havoc on the job."

Kaoru nodded and scooched over as Kamatari sat down daintily next to her.

"A contact is a human that one of my kind can depend on for a meal."

"You mean you suck their blood on a regular basis?!"

Kamatari shrugged. "Well they like it."

"How can they like it?" Kaoru asked, confused.

"It's something about when the fangs sink in. They secrete something that gives the person who's giving the blood a pleasurable feeling. It's like a drug. Once they do it three times . . . They're hooked," he explained.

"Why would they do that in the first place? No matter how good it feels, I still can't imagine just standing there while the blood is drained from my neck!" Kaoru shivered. "It's not right."

"Oh come on, hon. It's not like vampires drink human blood all the time. Just about once a month. You can't risk getting too hooked on it. And besides, there's a certain sexual experience that goes along with it usually."

Kaoru blushed. "You mean you have sex with them and suck their blood during it!?!"

"Well yeah. It does hurt when the fangs first sink in. That takes away the pain and human women can't get pregnant or diseases or anything." Kamatari noticed that Kaoru was blushing fiercely. "Oh don't be so modest, honey! Or are you still a virgin?" he teased.

"Of course I am! How could you think I was Ken's . . ." She paused to shiver. "Contact."

"My mistake, sweetheart, but you have to admit, he is attractive. Not gay though." Kamatari sighed.

Kaoru wondered what else she'd missed out on so far? There were gay vampires. Wonderful. She imagined Ken with one of his contacts, and quickly cast the image from her mind. Kamatari was a talker, and she had to get as much information out of him as she could. "Why can't you drink human blood too often?"

He gazed at her sadly. "Although it is the best for us, it'll drive a vampire crazy if he or she drinks too often. They won't be able to keep control over their drinking and they'll end up killing a human. We were all once human, sweetie. It's an unspoken law that any vampire who can't control their drinking must die. And since it's not known whether we have a soul, that's a heavy punishment indeed."

"Everything has a soul," Kaoru said softly.

"Then why does the sun shun us, hon? And why can't we go in Christian churches? I'm afraid we can't be sure." He shook his head.

"Have faith." Kaoru hadn't quite foreseen herself as a vampire spiritual leader, but she felt for this person. He had been human once. What could he have done to deserve this kind of existence? Always hiding from the day and hunters, living off others blood to survive. There were few animals in the city. She shuddered to think what he was forced to feed on.

"Kamatari? . . . How did you-"

"Why are you both sitting here on your butts? I thought I told you to get her outfitted, Kamatari," Ken's voice broke in.

. . . become a vampire?

Kaoru looked up. Ken strode over to them from the elevators, looking as authoritive as always. She remembered what a contact was and found herself angry with him. How dare he kiss her when he had sex with people on a regular basis? And different people from the sound of it!

"Don't boss him around. He's been doing what you asked," she said crabbily.

Ken raised an eyebrow. "So you got your voice back. What's eating you?"

Kamatari seemed to snap out of his depression because he bounced up and walked over to Ken, dragging Missy along with him. "Oh Ken-nii, Kao-chan and I had a very wonderful conversation. She's an exceptional girl. May I be so lucky some day." He teased Kaoru with a suggestive glance. "I'm glad you're back though. You didn't tell me what clothes you wanted or what you both want to start out the night in."

"I'm taking her out to a night club."

Kamatari's eyes lit up. "Ooh!" He turned to Kaoru and studied her frame. "I'm visualizing a long slinky dress with a slit up the side -"

"No. She might have to run. Make it short."

"Woah! Run! I better be wearing some shorts under there."

"You're both such party-poopers," Kamatari pouted.

"I'm the one that's paying for all this," Ken reminded him. "Just get us both some clothes and then I'll be arranging to send the rest to the Shinomori place. I'm not carting them across the city with me."

"Why might I have to run, Ken?" Kaoru asked again, not liking the sound of Ken's plan one bit.

Well let me go down the list of wonderful reviewers.

Fiery Shadow - JML - Sorbet - PEACH ^_^ (Don't worry, it is a Kenshin/Kaoru fic - Videl621 - Haroku 1 (I am really flattered that you think this is such a great vampire fic!) - Nicolette - Hitokiri-miao miao(you'll find out the side stories eventually. I just didn't want the story to be about Misao and Aoshi. It's all about Ken and Kaoru!) - kouri - bitchy brunette - anime=^.^= - Angel Kitty2 - Brooke(It's not my first fanfic, just my first Kenshin on, lol) - Neko Oni-chan(you're right, Kenshin does make an uber cool vampire!) - lil-miss-kitsune - Migo - The Girl Who Cried Oro

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful reviews. Sooo . . . I hope people review my second chapter too *hint hint*. And I really hope you enjoy reading it.

Click that button!