Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Silver Cross ❯ Apartment in Aliso Village ( Chapter 6 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

A/N - Well here it is, the next chapter of Silver Cross. Oh, yeah. Thank you to all the reviewers who reviewed chapter five. Here's a list:

JML, Hitokiri-miao miao, aglaia102, The Girl Who Cried Oro, Poppy2, fyyrrose, Setine, moonmusic, Koneko Battousai, Videl 621, bitchy brunette, Iceman19, Riokai Guardian of the Night, anonymous writer, EEevee, Hiromi, kyanti, lilk0k0, mayabf93, InsanexPsycho, Clepto fairy, Naiya-Metsuki

Disclaimer - Hmm. I don't own Rurouni Kenshin. I don't own Nissan.

Silver Cross

Chapter 6 - Apartment in AlisoVillage

Are we there yet?

No.

Are we there yet?

No! Shut up.

You shut up.

Shut up and let me drive already.

Fuck you.

Just shut up.

Fine . . . Are we there yet?

I said no!

Jeez. You don't have to get all touchy about it.

She can sleep through anything, Ken found himself thinking as he drove up route 110 through downtown LA. He was feeling pretty confident now that he had transportation, a hopefully safe place to stay, and Kaoru was there. Los Angeles was interesting at night. He found himself noting the slight changes of the city. He hadn't been there in a while because Orange County, CAwas very popular with vampires. All the tourists and people down on their luck after not having made it in the entertainment industry were easy prey for vampires, so vampire hunters had frequented the city. But once the dark one had emerged, the dance between vampire and hunter had seemed to slow.

Life was intimately more dangerous for the vampire hunter now that the dark one had control over much of the underlying vampire world. The only people whose positions had not changed were those ignorant of the vampire culture that existed alongside their own, and the human contacts. Ken glanced over at Kaoru for a second. She may not know it, but until she decided to either become a contact or drop out of the vampire culture forever, she was at an elevated risk, especially with her special energy that seemed to have increased the longer she stayed in contact with him. He was exceedingly glad she was wearing those earrings. They muted her aura from the vampires' senses. Of course, he supposed there was another way. But he wouldn't even consider turning her into one of his kind. She was too beautiful. Her energy was too stunning to erase by turning her. He couldn't curse her with the pain of living forever, feeding on what she once was just to go on. No matter how much he wanted her near him until the end of time, he couldn't burden her with the feelings of depression, oppression, and unrest that plagued him whenever he was not with her, every time he woke.

Of course the last time he had woken, she had been there. Even now he wondered why. It could not be the attraction to his energy or his soul, like he felt for her. He had only the faint energy he'd gleaned from living things and his soul was long ago lost. Even now it sent a shiver through him to remember how he'd woken and sensed a presence in the room, but not been alert enough to realize it was her. And then she'd woken and come straight to him, had been waiting for him, without those earrings on. And she'd let him kiss her and be near her, to envelop himself in her glow for a time and gain strength from her. It wasn't the kind of strength he stole from his contacts either, that was physical. This was more spiritual. She gave him the will to keep going, keep searching for the dark one with a renewed passion, not the listless fervor he'd existed in since he'd heard the news of Sano's death. As long as she was there, the world he'd trekked and flown and sailed and hitchhiked across for so long didn't seem as monotonous, as old and weary as it had before he met her, since Sano had died. Ken realized that he hadn't even known he was living without a will to go on until he'd sensed her in that restaurant.

She stirred as he turned east onto 3rd street, and her breathing became less regular, increasing as her heart began to speed up and her mind to drift up from the depths of what ever dream land it had been wandering through. He idly wondered what she dreamed about as he listened to the changes in her body and heard the slight shifting of her clothes as she snuggled into the seat. He wondered at the sensitivity of humans to such mild temperatures and turned the air conditioning off. He knew she was completely awake when she began breathing through her nose instead of her mouth. She yawned at sat up slowly in her seat as he turned the car north onto Central Avenue.

"Where are we?" she asked in a sleep filled voice, turning to face him. Her voice was mild and a little raspy, Ken knew it would sooth him to sleep if he listened to her long enough.

"We're downtown. That's Little Tokyo out the window. I want to stop by there tomorrow night," he answered her. He smiled when she immediately practically plastered herself to the car window, drinking in the early morning sites.

"Wow! A shrine! And a fire-tower! Slow down, you're driving too fast," she complained, the traces of sleep gone from her voice for the moment.

"You can see it all tomorrow," he reminded her as he stopped the car at a red light. "Tonight we need to get the apartment, remember?" He pressed his feet to the ground and elevated his body, searching around in his back pocket for his cell phone. "Here, call the owner. He's in the address book as Christian Rodriguez."

Kaoru nodded and dialed the phone. "What do you want me to say to him?"

"Tell him you're Mrs. Sato and you and your husband will be arriving momentarily. Then ask him where he wants to meet us. Just butter him up."

Kaoru nodded as the phone was picked up. "Hello. This is Mrs. Sato," she began in a friendly voice. "No, the trip went very well. I must confess I slept through a lot of it though . . . Yes, we're turning onto 1st avenue now . . . No, we haven't crossed the bridge yet . . . Where should we meet you then . . . Alright, we'll come right up and knock then . . . No, this is my first trip to LA, but my husband's been here before . . . Yes. I plan on getting lots of sleep . . . I'll talk to you soon then." Kaoru pressed the end button with a sigh. "He certainly seemed happy to be renting out this apartment, even for such a short time. You don't think he'll wonder when you don't go outside in the day though? I mean, we could say jet lag at first, but how long will that last?" Kaoru fretted, handing Ken back his cell phone.

"Don't worry about it now. We'll worry about that if he starts asking questions."

Kaoru sighed. "I guess you're right. And since when are we married anyway?" she asked with a smile.

"Well I couldn't say you were my sister. We look nothing alike. Besides, the married thing is more accepted," Ken defended his decision.

"Are you sounding a little defensive in there somewhere, Ken?" Kaoru asked in a teasing voice.

"No," he said flatly.

"You're still acting like you have PMS, Ken. Hey, do female vampires have that anyway?"

"How am I supposed to know?"

"Oh come on. You've been a vampire for over a century. You have to have found out by now. I know you got curious at one point. So do they?" she asked once again.

"No."

"Ha! I knew you knew if they did or not!" Kaoru stated triumphantly. Beating Ken at a game of words was a lot of fun, she discovered. She bet he could usually talk anyone into the ground. He could sure embarrass her if he felt like it. Not that she'd ever tell him that. She didn't want to even imagine the torment that would come her way if that were to happen. Ken didn't react to her winning in the game of words, so that kind of took all the enjoyment out of it. The ride across the river to Aliso Villagewas silent. Ken wasn't inclined to talk and Kaoru was letting herself enjoy the site of Little Tokyo and then the Los Angeles river as they faded away behind them. Ken pulled into a lot on a street lighted road and parked the car.

"The apartment building is on our left. Carry whatever you can. I'll come back out for the rest of the bags," Ken instructed, getting out of the car and heading to the back to open the luggage compartment of the Nissan.

Kaoru followed, making sure to grab her jacket and purse. She shut her door and walked around the side of the car, her sneakers crunching on the gravel of the parking lot. "Hand me the red bag. It's got essentials in it."

"Essentials?"Ken asked, raising an eyebrow and reaching into the car for the suitcase.

"That's for me and Kamatari to know," Kaoru sniffed at him, taking the bag and waiting for him to grab as much as he could. "Does this place have an elevator?" she asked.

"Yes. We're on the sixth floor," Ken informed her, slamming the car door and turning to walk to the apartment.

"You're supposed to be a good husband. Wait for me," Kaoru said, annoyed.

Ken rolled his eyes and stopped. "Sorry."

"I could hear the sarcasm in that tone," Kaoru mock-scolded.

"I'm so sorry. Will you ever forgive me?" Ken said in a sincere tone. It was really too bad he had a smirk on his face.

Kaoru marched past him. "You're a trip, Ken." She smiled when she knew he couldn't see her expression.

"Then why'd you marry me?" he asked, following her.

"I was married before I knew it," she answered wryly. Hearing Ken chuckle, she laughed.

"I had my doubts about a couple coming in at five o'clock in the morning, but you two seem okay," a new voice broke in. A short, rather chubby Hispanic man dressed in his nightclothes opened the door to the apartment's main entrance and spoke without a trace of an accent. "Mr. and Mrs. Sato, correct?" he asked.

"Yes. Pleased to meet you, Mr. Rodriguez," Kaoru smiled.

"Yes. Thanks a lot for the apartment, sir," Ken put in, sounding for all the world like any average young American male with a pretty wife on vacation.

"Glad to help out a nice couple like yourselves. Hope my brother treated you fairly at the car dealership. Let me get that bag for you Mrs. Sato, since your husband seems loaded down enough already."

"Thanks," Kaoru said gratefully.

"Oh. Here's the key. I'll just be handing it to you then and show you both up to the apartment."

The ride up to the room was filled with idle chatter from the landlord, who was looking quite comfortable in his pajamas and bathrobe. The two men dropped Kaoru off in the apartment and went back downstairs to get the rest of the luggage. Kaoru took the opportunity to change into her pajamas and a t-shirt quickly as she reflected on how natural Ken seemed with the landlord. She supposed he just wanted to make a good impression. She was coming out of the bathroom when she heard Ken come back in and say goodbye to the landlord.

"Where are you?" he called from the living room.

"Right here, Ken," she answered, coming into the living room. "I checked out the apartment. Unless you want to sleep in the bathroom, the only place you can stay is the bedroom. It's only got big balcony windows. There are shutters and thick curtains that should shut out the light well enough. Is that okay with you?"

Ken was surprised that she'd looked into sleeping accommodations already. "Sure."

"I put your night clothes in the bathroom and your tooth brush and all, so you can get ready for bed in there. I think you've only got a half hour left, right?" Kaoru instructed. "Go ahead. I want to unpack a little."

Ken shrugged and went into the bathroom.

Kaoru grumbled. "The least he could've said was thanks. Guys are so insensitive sometimes."

That client said I was insensitive.

Why?

She said she was on her period, so she wasn't giving blood.

You make it sound like we're the red cross or something.

You know what I mean, Ken.

Women are touchy, that's all. It was a female right? Or is there something you're not telling me?

Shut up! Of course it was. How could a guy be on their period! Don't be a prick. Do you think I'm insensitive.

You're Sano. How could you not be insensitive?

What?!

It's what makes you, you.

Did you tell her to say that?

Yeah.

Kaoru had taken off her earrings so they wouldn't catch in her hair and was brushing the long tresses in front of the mirror in the bedroom when she felt a slight touch on her neck, faint, then seeming to evaporate away into the air.

"How's it going?" Ken asked, moving away from her and starting to explore the room.

Kaoru blinked and turned around. There he was, right behind her, stuffing his shoes underneath the bed. She turned back to the mirror. No one was there but her reflection, which looked slightly surprised for a moment. She began to braid her hair up for the night, the master bed reflected behind her a focal point of her thoughts.

"I didn't know it was true that you can't see a vampire's reflection in the mirror," she marveled softly.

"Yes. You can't," Ken said mildly. "I can see mine. It's only humans that can't."

"Wow." Kaoru said appreciatively. "You learn something new everyday." She was pleased with herself for not being spooked out. Perhaps she was learning to adjust to Ken's world after all. Maybe she'd be able to understand him better soon. Hmm, and there was something about Ken in pajama pants and a white t-shirt that said yummy.

"Are you going to sleep with me tonight?" he asked, suddenly turning to her.

Kaoru was immediately indignant. But there was nothing more than an interested expression on his face. So he hadn't been talking about sex.

"I don't want to bother you, Ken." She finished the braid and wrapped a hair tie around the end.

"No. I've been thinking about it, and I decided I like you. There hasn't been anyone there when I wake up in a long time," he explained with a tinge of wistfulness in his tone.

Kaoru laughed. "It took you this long to figure out if you like me or not?"

"Not really. I just didn't feel like telling you before."

"Well that's a little jerkish, don't you think?" Kaoru said.

"No. Will you though? Don't you trust me?" Ken asked.

"Yes," Kaoru answered slowly.

"Alright then."

There was silence as Ken made sure the shutters were closed securely and shut the curtains. Kaoru walked over to the bed and slid in between the sheets, which had thankfully come with the apartment, as Ken turned off the bedroom lights and left the room. She could hear him moving around in the apartment, making sure everything was locked. He must be in a considerate mood to let her hear his movements. He was usually as silent as the dead. He must've gotten quieter though, because she didn't know he was back in the room until she heard the door shut softly and felt him slide into bed beside her.

"Oyasuminasai," she whispered, her back to him. Still, she knew he was there. For once they hadn't ended up in this situation by accident. That made it seem scarier somehow, but only because she wanted Ken to do more than just sleep. Not sex of course, but at least to talk. As if he had read her mind, he spoke.

"I'm not tired yet. Would you mind talking?" he asked, voice low.

She closed her eyes to drink in the sound of his voice. "Sure," Kaoru agreed lightly. She wondered what Ken wanted to talk about. Maybe more of his past…

"Thanks. I don't deserve you," Ken said softly, gently reaching out and placing his hands around her waist, pulling her towards him.

"Don't say that," Kaoru admonished gravely, though she was surprised and happy to be in such close contact with him. "You can't decide what or who you do and don't deserve."

"Really?" Ken's voice in the dark sounded bemused.

"Really. God decides that. So obviously, if I'm here, then you deserve to know me," Kaoru reasoned to him. "You'll probably always feel like you don't though. A lot of people get that impression when they meet me," she added matter-of-factly.

"Yeah right." Ken was surprised at how easily she'd turned his statement around. He'd never thought of it that way before. He remembered that he could never resist being this close to her for very long. Her soul was calling to him. He wished he could touch it. He decided to do the next best thing and kissed the back of her neck in the dark.

Kaoru felt her eyes widen in surprise at the soft touch, but she soon relaxed and twisted around in Ken's arms to face him. It was enough to feel his breath on her face in the dark. She could sense his lips drawing closer and closed her eyes to wait for the moment.

He knew there was no way she could see him, but he could see her with his heightened senses. She looked serene and happy, waiting patiently for him to get up the nerve and kiss her. He wondered if she understood that when she kissed him it was like she was kissing more than just his body, but his soul, or what was left of it. He gave in to the call of her soul, her energy, and gave her what she wanted, what they both wanted. He was so afraid of hurting her. He cast away the thought of any bad consequences of his actions and gave himself to this kiss. She immediately relaxed and melted against him. He closed his eyes, relishing the moment as she explored his mouth, her tongue silky and warm.

"Why don't you act like this all the time?" Kaoru asked after they broke apart.

"I can't present a weak front to the vampire world. They'd all attack me and I wouldn't be able to protect you."

"I make you look weak?" Kaoru asked, tensing and sounding a little angry. "That's why?"

"No. You make me weak," Ken corrected her, kissing the corner of her mouth and sliding his hands around her waist underneath her t-shirt. "I can't let anything happen to you."

"What you say and what you do are so different, Ken," Kaoru sighed.

"Then tomorrow night we'll just see the sites of LA. Okay?"

"It's always more than that. You just want to check up on the town."

Ken chuckled. "You know me too well. But we really will do nothing but see the sites while I'm checking out the town, okay? No running away from vampires with guns. We'll go to a nice restaurant around eleven and work from there. This one night I'm just going to try and make you happy. Didn't you say you've never been to LA before?"

"Yes," Kaoru confirmed, allowing a slight smile to play across her features. "That sounds nice. If it really happens that is," she added in a faintly longing tone.

"It will," Ken confirmed, a little hurt that she didn't believe him.

Kaoru suddenly pushed away from him, suddenly annoyed. "It better then. I'm going to be real mad when it doesn't turn out how you say it will. I'm sorry, Ken, but I can't even begin to deal with you when you can't act natural around me." She sat up in the bed and slid from under the covers. "And what am I thinking?! I can't share a bed with you! We're not really married! God, why am I so dumb?!" She grabbed a pillow and hopped off of the bed.

Ken was in shock. What was all this about? Hadn't she just kissed him a minute ago? It wasn't like he was going to rape her or seduce her or anything. It had just been so hard joking around with the landlord and acting as if Kaoru was his wife. He only wished it could be that way. She was so young and strong with her powerful soul and the faith in God he could sense dwelling within her. He wished he had an ounce of that faith. It would make life, whatever life you could call his existence, much more livable. He'd had the crazy notion, coming up the stairs the last time with one of Kaoru's bags, that she could help him find that faith. But no, she was leaving, and he realized that he had to stay true to his goal of finding the dark one and sending it to hell. So Ken watched in silence as Kaoru yanked a sheet off the bed and fumbled around the room. She left, careful to draw the door tightly shut, against the dawn he supposed. He heard her bump into a few pieces of furniture before lying down on the couch with an angry sigh. The sun was about to rise. He gave into sleep as it stole upon him and let his mind depart for distant shores.

Kaoru let out a frustrated sigh as she curled up on the couch and drew the covers around her. This whole thing is wrong, she found herself thinking. Life would be so much simpler if I just gave up on Ken and did whatever he told me to and didn't asked questions until he takes me home. Hell, life would be so much simpler if I had never met him, if I'd just ignored that note he left me and gone home. I'd be content, well maybe a little regretful that I hadn't found out who he was. I wouldn't know vampires existed and they wouldn't give a damn about me. I've got to watch out for that Shinomori character, I can just picture him coming after me one night, or his Oniwaban crew, whoever they are.

I wouldn't have this conflict about Sou. Oh my gosh! I haven't called Sou in what feels like ages. I really should before he gets worried. I guess I'll call my parents too, that should only take a few minutes. I wonder where they are on their cruise right this moment? Do I miss Sou? Yes. He's my friend. I can tell him anything. I sure can't tell Ken anything. I don't get the feeling he cares to know what I feel sometimes. Well, a lot of the time. Then why am I so attracted to him? I just wish he was happier, but he's got his whole revenge quest going. That's about the only thing going for him right now. But he did say he likes me. I guess that was supposed to mean a lot. One second I'm convinced I've fallen for Ken and the next I wish he'd touch my damn silver cross earrings. He's not going to have a purpose left after he faces the dark one, and it doesn't even sound like he cares if he lives or dies. Well I care! It sucks caring more about someone then they do about themselves. I could strangle him, I really could! She frowned and punched the couch. Dumb guys. Ken made her so angry she felt like crying. Sunlight was streaming through the curtains before Kaoru fell asleep.

Do you think clubs are better to find contacts in, or college frat parties?

I think they're about equal if you want a temporary contact. That's the kind you're talking about, right?

Yeah, I think I should make a survey and pass it around with the guys as long as we're here in the U.S. I know they'll get a kick out of it.

Don't you have anything better to do.

No.

Oh. Okay then.

Five o'clock in the afternoon on Sunday in Californiameant . . . Kaoru did some calculations in her head, fiddling with an earring. That meant it was nine in the morning on Monday for Sou. She called his cell using the phone Ken had given her. He'd told her at one point that it featured worldwide service.

"Kaoru!"Sou's voice greeted her after three rings. He sounded his usual cheerful self.

"Hi, Sou," Kaoru said softly, she'd forgotten how great it was to hear his voice.

"Where have you been? I tried to call. Out partying without me, huh?" he teased, not sounding angry. Sou wasn't a very overprotective boyfriend. Well, she supposed he was, but he let her have her freedom without questions.

Kaoru smiled. "You wouldn't believe what's happened to me."

"Are you going to tell me? I'm ready for a story. My family's all asleep, but just in case they wake up I'm walking outside right now."

"Alright, I will. I'm not crazy though, Sou, remember that."

"Aw come one, Kao. We're all a little crazy. What time is it where you are?"

"Five in the afternoon."

"What are you doing out west? Did your parents come back and take you on a trip or something?"

Sou was very quick at mental math, which was part of the reason why his minor was mathematical sciences. "Iie. I hope you're sitting down, because I'm going to summarize everything that's happened in the past few nights for you." With some minor alterations, she added to herself.

You won't believe what happened to me tonight.

Try me.

Well I was taking that Italian class I'm doing because of the hot girl who's into vampires, and it actually clicked.

What clicked?

I know Italian man! I was sitting there watching one of those operas they put on to ingrain the language into your head and it must have been working because I suddenly knew what they were talking about!

I know the feeling, it's great when something just clicks, isn't it?

Yeah. Now if only that chick would show some interest in me.

Dream on.

A half hour later she was lying sprawled in the couch upside down, listening to Sou's reaction.

"At first I thought you were crazy, I have to admit that, but I know you'd never lie to me. I wish I could fly out there now and help you, Kaoru. I will find a way if you want me to," Sou's voice came earnestly over the phone.

"No, I'm okay." That would only complicate things. She felt guilty enough not telling Sou all the details of her and Ken's relationship.

"Are you sure? Ken sounds like he can handle anything that comes his way, but I'll always be there for you, Kaoru, you know that, right? I love you."

Kaoru smiled. "I know you will. I love you too, Soujiro."

"Ick. It sounds so formal when you use my full name."

"I like your full name, but I love you, Sou," Kaoru teased, putting better emphasis on the 'Sou'.

His laughter flowed out through the phone to Kaoru's ear until she was laughing with him. He always made her feel so good inside.

"What time is sunset? I want to talk to Ken."

"Not for three and a half hours, then who knows what he'll want to do? I doubt there'll be time to talk on the phone though."

"That's fine. Another time. I am really worried about you though, Kao. Are you going to tell your parents?"

"No way. I'll be back long before they are. I want them to have a nice relaxing vacation. It's not like they'd believe me anyway."

"Okay. But you have to promise to call me everyday at this time or I swear I'm hopping on the plane and coming to find you somehow."

"I promise, Sou," Kaoru said gravely. It was nice to have him to confide in. She doubted she could've lived with keeping the whole thing from him anyway. The guilt had been weighing on her mind.

Sou laughed in the background. "Oh shoot, Kao, my cousins found me. I gotta go. Please take care of yourself, okay?"

"I will, Sou. Love you."

"Love you."

They hung up at the same time, as had been agreed when they'd first started going out seriously over a year ago. Kaoru sighed, Sou made her feel warm and content. Ken made her feel worried and restless and half sad all the time because nothing that happened between them could ever last. But Ken also made her feel half elated, like she was on a constant high every second she was around him. There was passion there, even if it was one sided.

Ken was so different when Dawn was approaching! If only the change was more subtle. If only he showed a hint of how he was at those times during the beginning and ending of the night. Then she would know for sure if she needed to consider Ken as a focal point in her life beyond the next week. Kaoru sighed. She couldn't help but give him one more chance, and one more, and one more. One second she loved him, the next she couldn't stand to be around him, the next second she was back to loving him. What a vicious, cycle. She decided to take her mind off Ken and head out to try and find a corner store or something. The landlord could point her in the right direction. She'd leave Ken a note and make it a point to not be here when he woke up. His reaction would be fun. Maybe that was a little wicked of her, but he deserved everything and anything she could dish out.

Hey, do you know how many weeks it took me to work up the nerve to just start a conversation with that girl? And you get her in one night?

You should've been more bold. It's not like you to wait around, especially when it comes to contacts.

Okay, I didn't really care about her.

I knew it, she was just an excuse to go to Italian classes!

So? Hey, now that I know the language, let's head there next.

Italy's so Catholic and superstitious though. You know we're more at risk there, especially since there are some powerful vampires hanging around too.

Aw come on, we've been stuck in Americalong enough. It's time for a little action. Maybe a chase or we could stalk a vampire hunter or something.

I am not stalking a vampire hunter. Do you know how dumb that is?

Let's make a bet. If I win, we go to Italyand you stalk whatever hunter I choose. If you lose, we go to Italy.

I'm not dumb, Sano, you win both times.

Fine. If I lose we go wherever you want. Deal?

Deal.

This time it felt like he was choking. Kaoru was standing in front of him, angry. She was shaking her head, about to leave him, unless he told her once and for all that he loved her, but he couldn't because he was being choked from behind. Kaoru didn't seem to notice anything amiss. They were in the restaurant where she worked and she was once again wearing her uniform. Jineh smirked behind her, giving whoever was choking Ken a thumbs up. Ken was so weak that he couldn't even move his arms. His legs no longer held him up. He was now in a bear hug, the strong arms still wrapped around his neck. Then it was all over. The chokehold evaporated slowly with Kaoru and Jineh into thin air and Ken could breathe again. He woke up panting.

Kaoru was not there. It didn't even feel like she was in the apartment. Panic rose in his throat, choking him as effectively as the dream hands. He told himself to be calm, his senses were always fogged when he first awakened from sleep. But the dread settled into his bones and he knew she was not there. He forced himself to breathe again. Panicking would not help him figure out the situation. She'd probably just gone out to get some food and left him a note or something. Did the people in her generation still leave notes? He dragged himself out of bed and went on a search of the dark apartment. She'd left the light on in the foyer and that was where he saw the paper, lying on the table next to the door. Just an ordinary eight and a half by eleven sheet of lined paper. He froze, then made himself walk over, reach out, and pick it up.

Ken,

If you're reading this I guess I didn't get back before dark. I was bored and hungry, so I decided to go out and explore the town. I have a little money. I'll be back soon. The truth is, I purposely wanted to be out when you woke up. Don't worry about me. I'm wearing the earrings and I have my judo and self defense classes. If you come looking for me, I'll never forgive you. Your stuff is in the two black trunks in case you forgot. See you,

Kaoru

Ken didn't know what he'd been expecting, just not this. Her tone had been perfectly normal, none of the angriness was evidenced as it had been last night. Well he knew what he had expected. He'd expected a farewell, I went back home, type of note. He wondered what she'd meant when she said she purposely didn't want to be around when he woke up. Probably some kind of test. Human women were always putting men through tests, messing with their minds just for the fun of it. Even female vampires did occasionally. Too bad Kaoru could mess with his mind all she wanted. He decided to take a shower and change into whatever clothes Kamatari had packed for him. No doubt she'd look more favorably on him if he'd done as she'd hinted by the time he got back. Besides, the shower helped him focus and he would be able to sense her energy if he was focused, pinpointing the moment of her return.

A/N - I hoped you liked this chapter. I guess things will start picking up action wise next chapter then. And don't worry, Kenshin and Kaoru are about to really talk things out. Fight fight fight! I can't tell you what will be said cause I haven't written it yet, but it will be good. And what does Soujiro have to do with all this? Hmmm. All I can say is review so I write faster, lol. Just kidding. You don't have to if you don't want to, but it would make me happy. Love you all,

Aryanne