Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Someone To Watch Over Me ❯ Epilogue ( Chapter 16 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Well, I did it. I finally made an epilogue. :) The reason Megumi is at Kenshin's house, is because she stays there while Sano is gone, since she is so close to her labor. Does that make sense to you? Good. ^^
-

"I should punch your lights out for this! Why didn't you come get me sooner?" Sano yelled as he and Kenshin hurried through the cold night air.

"Megumi-dono kept insisting we wait. She said older women have a longer labor period and she didn't want you ... irritating her while she waited." The older man explained.

"What did she think I was going to do? Yell at her to push it out faster!" Sano snapped in exasperation. "Im more sensitive than that."

"I think she was more concerned with how you would treat the doctor due to your inability to help." Kenshin reassured him. Before they entered his house, Kenshin stopped the younger man with a touch to his arm. "It was a very difficult labor. She doesn't need an argument now."

The expression on the brunette's face clearly denied the idea that he would start an argument. However, he seemed to think better of making any comment and instead he entered the house silently.

Considering his earlier rant, Sano was surprised to find he was hesitant to enter the room in which his wife and child resided. He slowly opened the door far enough to see Megumi resting on a futon as Kaoru fussed over her.

"You may come in, Sano."

The young man followed his wife's bidding and Kaoru exited the room.

"It's a girl," Megumi announced. "I was hoping to give you a son, but -" Sano set a finger to her lips to quiet her.

"She's beautiful, just like her mother." He moved his finger so that he could place a kiss on her mouth before turning his attention to their daughter. "We can try for a son next time."

Megumi narrowed her eyes at her husband. "I just spent 24 hours in labor, Sano. Don't you dare talk to me anout a 'next time!'"

The young man's brows creased into a frown. "Is that why you didn't come home? Kenshin only said you weren't feeling well."

"I think child labor counts as 'not feeling well,'" Megumi commented drily. "Besides, I told Ken-san I didn't want you to know I was in labor. You would have paced the floor until I was a nervous wreck, and I was already nervous enough!"

"Next time-" Megumi's reproving glare effectively shut her husband's mouth. "Well, I'd feel better if I had been with you," he grumbled. He looked down at the baby slumbering in his arms. "We'll have to think of a girl's name. Any ideas?"

"Hmm." Megumi was beginning to join her daughter in dreamland. "Let's worry about that tomorrow." She reached out a hand to entwine her husband's fingers in her own. "Lay with me."

Sano tucked his newborn daughter next to her mother before stretching out next to the futon. Sleep did no tcom so quickly for him. However, he didn't mind as he recalled his wish to become a father and the doubt he felt that such a thing would ever occur. He couldn't imagine at the time that he would be married to such a woman as Megumi.

A woman who understood his past, who wasn't afraid of his temper, who constantly challenged him to better himself, even when she didn't realize she was doing so. Now she had willingly spen hours in pain to expand their little family. All of his fondest dreams had been fulfilled.

"But next time, I want to be with you," he finally whispered.
-