Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The beauty of life ❯ the attack ( Chapter 1 )

[ A - All Readers ]

It was nearing midnight when the group of woman and men were deep into the forest of the edge of Edo, Japan. No one could see properly except for a few candle lit lanterns that illuminated the muddy path of hidden passages and unclear paths. There were no markers to indicate which way to turn or if they're headed in the right direction. Only instinct and guess was leading the way.
Other than the few men that lead the front, the group consisted of all woman, and one child.
The men were the dominant, herding the woman down a narrow path. Their quick footsteps showed their fear. The creak of the wagon wheels sounded occasionally. Elderly woman sat on the wagons since they were unable to walk long distances.
They were making their way to Otsu, a small village. There, the woman thought of more peaceful times. The men had told them that they would be free and happy. For once, they had the chance to live prosperously.
That brought joy to the Arai family, who cared for one child, Elena. Elena was only five and barely able to take care of herself. She didn't talk much, only speaking to mother when it was necessary.
She didn't like her dad much. But she loved him all the same. She knew it was wrong to hate people.
She didn't like walking, but still being young and able, she was forced to walk. She did her best to catch up, but her short legs couldn't make up for an adults powerful stride across the rugged terrain.
Mother bent down and let her climb upon her back. Elena wrapped her arms around her neck and locked her hands together to prevent from falling.
They made it to a larger, wider path. The group began to spread out and relax their strides, avoiding the potholes In the middle of the path. The men grew more nervous. A wider path meant that it was a main road. Men and woman from different areas could pass through this path easily.
It was their goal not to be seen.
They were on escape.
Elena did not know this, but she could tell something was wrong. Her mother had the worried look on her face. But she smiled when Elena asked.
Other woman held the same expression, constantly looking around and huddling close to each other for warmth and safety. The men provided no help, they were nervous themselves.
Holding only a katana at their belt, they were poorly equipped with weaponry. If someone were to attack, they were sure to be in trouble.
Luckily enough, the path was clear and empty. The men relaxed a little but held the same expression. The woman took that as a signal to relax as well.
Elena grew tired and weary. Being on her mothers back, cramped her legs. She slid off and stretched her legs out by walking alongside mother. She took the liberty to run up ahead, where father was walking with other men. She pulled at his katana sheath and greeted his confused look.
He smiled and patted her head. Elena smiled, but she worried. He looked aged and sad and full of worry. She took his hand and leaned against his leg. She hoped that Otsu would make him happy.
 
It was nearing morning. Elena could see rays of pink and gray lighting the sky. The sun was rising. It would be a sunny day. She had remained at Fathers side, doing her best to keep him comforted.
She was tired though, her eyes drooped and her legs were sore. Her sandals were muddy from the mud and the ends of her kimono were caked in dirt and mud.
She listened to the group's footsteps and found interest in the quickness of their footsteps and the sound it made.
But there were more footsteps that broke into theirs. They were much quicker and heavier. If she concentrated, she could hear metal clacking on some hard surface. She didn't like this sound. It sounded much like Father's katana.
She pulled at fathers sleeve and told him of the sound. He stopped and crouched down to her height.
“ Can you still hear it?” He asked.
Elena nodded, “ It's getting louder,” She whispered.
At once, Father was in action. He alerted the other men and they alerted the men. Elena looked frantically at father. What was going on?
In the confusion, she was lost among the crowd, looking around for mother or father. She didn't like this feeling. It never brought her happiness.
Suddenly, The silence that loomed over the group for sometime now was broken by loud shouts and screams coming from men and women. The women were scattered, running into the forests, where as the men stayed and fought the men that came through the bushes.
Elena screamed frantically and ran into the forest blindly. She didn't stop, barely avoiding the large trees that were in her way.
Behind her, screams broke the silence, creating more fear in Elena. She could hear more footsteps. Someone was following her.
Woman ran past her, screaming. Elena stumbled and fell to the ground, in the bushes. She looked and saw that the men had followed. They grabbed the women and quickly drove their weapons through the women. The bodies fell heavily to the ground.
Elena slid away, down a hill and in more bushes. She became tangled in some thorns and struggled to break free. The men would be on her soon. She had made too much noise and they were sure to find out her hiding place.
But they didn't come. Too tired to break free, Elena remained, watching the path on which she slid down. Nobody was coming.
She could no longer hear the horrific screams and shouts. She wondered if mother and father were safe.
But she was too tired to look now. She curled up on the damp floor and fell asleep.