Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The beauty of life ❯ Elena's revenge ( Chapter 7 )

[ A - All Readers ]
Kaoru stood at the entrance of the door to Hachiro’s house, Kenshin, Sano and Yahiko standing close behind. The opened the gate and walked down the path that led to the house, all the while, marveling at the fine details of the house and the flowers that bloomed alongside the house.
A maid that stood by the door let them into the house and down the hall to where Hachiro was waiting.
Inside were magnificent statues of samurai and animals carved by artists and sold to Hachiro.
There were paintings of him and other samurai and photos of recent people that Hachiro had met. Sano leered away from the photos, turning his attention to plants that decorated the sides of the hall.
Kenshin looked at the ceiling. It too was painted.
They stopped at a large door, where a man opened the door and led them inside. The room was vast and large. Books lined the walls, sitting on shelves collecting dust. The window was a large picture window with large blood red drapes that covered the window when it was dark. There was a dog that sat by the desk. It growled when they came in, but stopped when the waiter hushed the dog.
Kaoru stood by the desk and waited as Hachiro turned to face them. He looked aged and tired, but smiled when he saw them. He came forward and bowed deeply. Kaoru returned the bow.
“ So what news? Did you find Elena?” He asked.
Kaoru nodded, but frowned. Hachiro looked at her expectantly.
“ Well?” He asked.
“ Well, She said that it wasn’t your fault and it wasn’t necessary for you to apologize,” She replied.
Hachiro’s face fell. He took a seat in the chair.
“ So she doesn’t wish to see me. I see,” He said quietly.
Kaoru lowered her head in dismay, “ I’m sorry that we couldn’t bring her here,” She said.
Hachiro smiled, “ Oh no, it’s quite alright. It’s not like her to come out and give a friendly greeting. After all, she is an assassin,” He said.
“I see,” Kaoru said.
Hachiro leaned back in his chair, “ Please don’t worry about it. I half expected for her not to show up. I might go and find her, but it might be a lost cause. Ah well. Maybe she’ll come to me,” He said.
“ How come she doesn’t want to see you? Did something happen in the past?” Kaoru asked.
Hachiro shook his head, “ No not at all. We didn’t know each other very well. She didn’t really familiarize herself with others. She just didn’t care, like all other assassins. She only knew that I was the leader of the clan she worked for and someone she was supposed to protect,” he said.
“ So then, why are you so keen on finding her?” Kaoru asked.
Hachiro’s face turned grave with dismay. He clasped his hands together and placed them in his lap.
“ Did she mention anything about opposing the government?” he asked.
Kaoru shook her head. She looked at Kenshin and Sano. They both shrugged.
“ No. Why? Is she working for them?” She asked.
Hachiro shook his head, “ She is opposing them. I fear that she has been planning to attack the new government,” He said.
“ Why?” Kenshin asked anxiously.
Hachiro shook his head; “ You’ll have to get that from her. But I heard news that she has been active, killing any men that were involved with the government. And being an assassin, it’s impossible to find her.
I want to find her to try and convince her that it’s over, but hearing this now, I fear for the government,” He said.
“ I can find her. She goes to the Akabeko often to eat.” Kaoru said.
Hachiro shook his head, “ It’s no use. Even if you tried to tell her, what good would that do? She knows that you work for the government and if you try to interfere, she’ll just try and kill you as well,” He said to Kenshin.
Kenshin crossed his arms.
“ But even so, she’s just one person. Even if she’s powerful, she can’t be as powerful as she used to be back then,” he said.
Hachiro smirked, “ You underestimate her. She is a fast as a hawk and her skill is remarkable. If you had seen her back then, it would send chills down your spine. She kills ruthlessly and her hate for the government is strong. She won’t stop for you or anyone. If you can get her to stop, then that would be great,” he said.
“ So you’re asking us to get her to stop for a while and knock some sense into her? That sounds fine with me,” Sano said.
" Sano!" Kaoru hushed him, raising her fist.
Sano shurgged and turned his head. Kenshin took a step forward.
" Even if we do get her to stop, there's no telling if she'll do it again," he said.
Hachiro nodded. His face fell and he looked aged and tired. He looked at the papers on his desk.
" Being so old, all i can do is work and watch as the days go by. I've lost most of my vigor and the freedom that i used to have is gone. I imagine that Elena is quite the opposite. She's dear to me, even if we're not close. I feel that i should be taking the blame for what she is doing since i was the one who hired her," He said sadly.
He closed his eyes tilting his head back.
" Such a burden is the art of killing a human. So much pain. Even if it is to protect. It's all comes down to murder. I know Elena knows this, but she will not stop since it's revenge she seeks," he said queitly.
Kenshin gripped his hands to fists. He too had felt the weight of murder on his backs, feeling that only atonement was a way to be forgiven. But even then it would still weigh him down. He rubbed his cheek where a small cross shaped scar riddled his cheek. Flashes of Tomoe darted past his mind and disappeared.
" When is she going to attack?" He asked.
Hachiro stood up, " Tomorrow night, I suppose. But she is smart and she is keen. If she spots anyone, she wont show. Her heart is still set on getting rid of the government and that hate is only adding to her true strength. She hasn't changed, Kenshin. I know you have stopped killing as a way of atonement, so your skill will have weakened, but still, your skill should be enough to at least slow her down," he said urgently and swiftly.
Kenshin nodded, " And bring her back here this one assumes," He asked.
Hachiro nodded, " If you can, please," He replied.
Kaoru bowed deeply as the meeting came to a close. Yahiko walked anxiously to the door. He hated the musty smell that filled the room as if the room was locked up for years. Sano followed suit, then Kaoru.
Kenshin turned back to Hachiro.
" Where did she learn the teachings of the Hiten?" He asked.
Hachiro shrugged, " I'm not quite sure. She came to us one day and we just took her in after she showed her skill," He replied shaking his head.
Kenshin nodded and shut the door behind him. He caught up with Kaoru who looked at him worriedly.
" Be careful out there. She doesn't seem like the type to just back down," She said.
" Like hell she would. But don't worry. Kenshin and I will be there to bring her back," Sano said smirking.
Kenshin shook his head, " This one would prefer to go alone. Please understand," He said.
Sano gawked, " You think you can go down and just think that you'll bring her back with you being unharmed? She's dangerous Kenshin. You heard Hachiro,' He snapped.
Kenshin walked ahead of him, his gaze serious.
" I'll have you guys alert the governor and take him away to a safe place. But I want to see her for myself," He said.
Sano sighed, " Fine, fine. But if you get hurt, i'm coming," He said.
Kenshin smiled, " Yes,yes," He said.
He felt a jerk of his clothes and he was pulled up to Kaoru's serious face. He let out a squeaky " Oro?"
and rubbed his neck.
" You better come back alive and well. And you better not hurt her either. I couldn't bear if one of you got hurt," She said.
Kenshin nodded, " Don't worry Kaoru-dono, We'll be just fine," He said.
" Good."