Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Demon Child ❯ The Demon Child ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AN: This fic is the result of watching too many vampire movies and reading too many vampire fics, esp. RK. Please note that I just made up all of these and that if a previous author has already wrote this kind of plot, it was purely accidental. I don't do plagiarism.

Disclaimer: Do I look like I own RK? If I did, I would make Kaoru have more fighting scenes. ^.^

The Demon Child

Prologue: The Demon Child

For centuries, vampires and werewolves have always been at war with each other. No one ever really knew the reason why these species had fought for so long. Some say for dominancy, others say that a vampire killed by a werewolf or vice versa caused the war. The list of reasons and causes go on and on. Yet only one fact remains to be true, the hatred between vampires and werewolves continues to be strong, with no intention of stopping.

More often than not, humans have died as a result of the battles raged between the two clans. Vampires hunger for the warm, intoxicating taste of human blood whereas the need for sweet, juicy human flesh drives werewolves to seek them out. Realizing that they were practically at the bottom of the food chain, humans, mostly males, became demon (a term they call to both vampires and werewolves) exterminators to protect their families. They weren't successful at the start and most died before they could stab even one demon.

Among the vampires, one of the most powerful was the Hitokiri Battousai. Rumored to kill a hundred werewolves easily with a flip of his sword by the battou ninjetsu (AN: I don't know how to spell it. Hoho ^.^) style of Hiten Mitsurugi (though only few knew of these), Battousai was greatly feared by the other species and even some of the lesser vampires wouldn't dare to defy him. Only the strongest werewolf held no fear of him, Shishio Makoto, Leader of the Werewolf Clan. Trained with a sword battle style unknown by many (AN: Me included!), Shishio Makoto was a formidable enemy of the Battousai. The former had clashed with the latter from time to time and each one wasn't very pretty, yet one never had the chance to officially kill the other.

Decades passed by and the war between the three species; vampires, werewolves and humans; continued to escalate. It was at the Tokugawa Era that a rumor spread around about a demon child born from a male vampire and a female human bitten and changed by a lone werewolf. It was said that the human woman was taking a walk, a bit carelessly for her, and was attacked by the werewolf. The male vampire had killed the werewolf but not before it had changed her. Some say that the male vampire and the human were lovers and that the vampire had thought to changed her into one of his species. Others say that the two had fallen in love from the time they met. Either way, the two had mated and produced the child. When their families heard about this, they were in a frenzy. They sought the two, both parties planning to kill the child. Sensing what's to befall on their child, the couple fled from Kyoto and headed to Tokyo. There they found a dojo owned by a human couple who had no child and pleaded them to raise their little one for them. The human couple, after listening to their story, agreed to raise up the child and took the babe from the reluctant werewolf woman's arms. After making the human couple promise to raise their child uprightly, the couple gave their beloved child one last kiss and left. Both were never seen nor heard from again.

That was nineteen years ago and the rumor continues to spread until almost everyone knew about it…

~ Kyoto, Japan (Meji Era)~

"My Lord, surely you don't believe about this silly rumor?" asked a male vampire with short brown hair and grayish eyes, raising one delicate eyebrow.

"Seta, I have reason to believe that this rumor may not be so silly." replied Hiko Seijiruo(sp?), one of the oldest and therefore powerful vampires.

"I've heard word from fellow vampires stationed in Tokyo about the bodies of humans and werewolves found in different locations, their blood sucked dry from them." He continued. "However, these occurred only rarely."

"Well it could be just a rogue vampire," pointed out another vampire with black hair and ice blue eyes as he leaned against a wall.

"If that is so, then why would a vampire attack even his own clan Shinomori?" asked Hiko.

Shinomori just shrugged.

A third vampire with brown eyes and brown spiky hair spat out the fish bone he was chewing on.

"I still think it's a bunch of nonsense," the third one said. Glancing at a red-haired man, he added. "What do you think Himura?"

Cold Amber eyes framed by red-blood hair tied up in a high ponytail stared at him before they focused on Hiko.

"When shall we leave?" he said simply, his voice cold as ice.

~ Tokyo, Japan ~

"KAORU!!!"

A beautiful raven-haired girl dressed in a cream gi and blue hakama stopped her training and glanced at the direction of the voice.

"Ohayoo Misao!" greeted Kaoru, her sapphire eye sparkling as her friend walked up to her.

Misao, a petite girl with long black hair tied in a braid and twinkling emerald eyes wearing a black ninja outfit hugged the other girl happily. "Ohayoo Kaoru." she said.

Kaoru laughed and hugged the girl back. Misao was just too giddy sometimes.

"So what's up Misao?" she asked as the two released from their embrace. Kaoru was about to head for the kitchen to make some tea when Misao held her back.

"They know you're here Kao-chan," said Misao, a grim frown on her face.

Shocked, Kaoru swung around to look at Misao. "But how can that be?" she managed to sputter out. "I thought for sure the rumors would die out sometime or at least that no one would believe it anymore."

"Well it didn't," replied Misao. "You'll have to leave Kao-chan. They only know that you're in Tokyo, not where you live exactly or who you even are. You still have a chance to run."

"Iie Misao," said Kaoru, defiantly. "I won't leave from the only home I have left. The Kamiyas haven't taught me everything I know just to be a coward who runs away."

'Stubborn girl.' thought Misao but shook her head and smiled. 'Uncle and Auntie raised her up well.'

Kaoru smiled when Misao sighed and said. "Alright, Kao-chan but promise me that if they're too strong, you'll run okay?"

"I promise."

~ Later that night ~

Kaoru closed the door of the bath house behind her, her cheeks a little flush from the bath water's warmth. She clutched her dark blue yukata closer to her lithe body and gazed up at the stars. She smiled. Such a beautiful moon tonight she thought.

The young woman sighed and continued on her way to her room. She folded the kimono she'd worn earlier and placed it in the laundry basket and made her way to the cushion in front of a mirror and sat on it. She took out a brush and began to work out the tangles in her silky black hair. Sapphire eyes stared back at Kaoru as she looked in the mirror.

Kaoru sighed and closed her eyes. A dark blue and silver ki surrounded her but quickly disappeared as the young woman opened her eyes once more and stared at her reflection. Silver hair with dark blue tints framed her pale delicate face and Kaoru reached a clawed hand up to touch her dark blue wolf ears gently. She got up, turned around and craned her neck to see her beautiful dark blue fluffy tail. She smiled, showing her long sharp vampire fangs. This was the real her, the real Kaoru. The demon child born from a vampire father and a human-turned-werewolf mother. The one whom was seek out by all three clans.

Kaoru sat back down on the cushion again. Her sapphire eyes had remained yet there she noticed a hint of silver in them. Her smile became wider. Thanks to the training the Kamiyas had given to her and with the help of her powers, no one knew about her real self aside from her adoptive parents and Misao.

Suddenly, Kaoru caught a scent in the air. It was of a human girl and…Kaoru sniffed the air again…the girl seemed to be followed by three werewolves. Kaoru's stomach growled slightly. She hadn't fed in a long time and the scent of the four made her more hungry for blood. Kaoru preferred to drink human and, sometimes werewolves if necessary, blood than to eat their flesh, she found the latter too much disgusting.

Kaoru stood up and growled. Her ki flashed dimly as her yukata changed into a black and edged with silver off-shouldered kimono with a slit up to her thigh on the right for mobility. Underneath her kimono, she wore a dark blue sleeveless top that clung to her and dark blue short shorts. A katana was strapped to her black, silver and dark blue obi at the right and semi-hidden by her obi behind her back are her two kodachis. Her black tied-up sandals enable her to run faster (AN: Think of Soujiro's).

Kaoru smirked and bared her fangs. She was so ready for a battle.

With that, Kaoru ran out from the dojo and followed the scents.

*~*~*~*~*

"Iie! Leave me alone!" cried a young girl about thirteen as she continued to run, her brown hair swaying in the wind.

The werewolves could only smirked as they speed up a notch.

Tsubame's eyes watered. She was so tired but she didn't want to die and forced herself to run faster, ignoring the pains as her young body had reached its limit. Her vision became blurry that she didn't see the rock until it was too late. She tripped and fell over. Tears flow freely down her brown eyes as she clutched her left ankle. It was sprained.

The werewolves smiled when they saw the young girl tripped and fell down. They howled with laughter as soon as they stopped before Tsubame, taking notice of the fear in the girl's eyes.

"Looks like it's the end of the line for you, little girl," sneered one of them, flashing his horrible yellow fangs. His two friends jeered at this and flashed their fangs as well.

"Tsk, tsk, tsk." said a feminine voice suddenly. "One little girl against three werewolves? I hardly think that's fair." The three werewolves and even Tsubame glanced at their surroundings, trying to see where the voice had come from.

The voice suddenly laughed. "What's the matter? Can't find me? And here I thought you werewolves were keen smellers or maybe you just smell."

Tsubame, in her situation, surprisingly managed to chuckle at the voice, which she assumed was a woman's, taunting her attackers.

The second werewolf growled as he and his companions flush a bright angry red. "Show yourself and fight us you f***ing bitch!"

The voice suddenly stopped laughing and before they knew it, a kodachi came sailing out of nowhere and hit the second werewolf in the heart. The force was so great that the werewolf was slammed into a nearby tree.

The two remaining werewolves stared at their fallen comrade. Blood coughed out from his mouth and from the wound in his heart. He was dead.

Then a woman suddenly appeared by the dead werewolf's side and took out her kodachi. She turned around to face them and began to lick the blood from her blade, much to the horror and awe of the rest.

"Wha…what are you?" muttered one of the werewolves, noticing with fear at the young woman. She had wolf ears, a tail but her fangs and claw are too sharp to be a werewolf's and her body wasn't covered in fur.

"Hmm…" she muttered as she licked the last drop of blood from her sword, ignoring the question. "A little salty but it'll do," she concluded.

Hearing this, the two remaining werewolves ran off, fearing for their lives.

Tsubame heard the woman chuckle as she said, "Well this would be fun. I wonder how long they'll last?" before the woman crouched down and took off. The young girl saw one of the werewolves, the slowest of the three, slashed from the side and closed her eyes as soon as she saw the young woman sinking her sharp fangs into the wolf's neck and begin to suck out the blood.

Tsubame squeezed her eyes tightly when he heard the thump of a body falling down on the ground and the moan of the last werewolf as it took it's last breath. Soon, she heard soft footsteps walking towards her and opened her eyes. She let out a huge gasp as she saw the young woman who had saved her. She was very beautiful, like a goddess. The wolf ears, claws and tail only added to her ethereal beauty. She blushed as the woman smiled, showing her sharp white fangs.

"Ohayoo, little one," she heard the woman croon softly in greeting.

"Ohayoo," she shyly replied. "Are you going to drink my blood?" she asked fearfully.

The woman laughed. "No, I'm not. You're too pure to die," she said truthfully. Honestly, she was thinking of drinking the girl's blood but she couldn't bring herself to do it. There was just something about the little girl that made her want to know the girl more.

"You're not from here, are you?" the woman added.

Tsubame shook her head. "Iie. I came from a town near here. We've just moved." Then she smiled, this woman was so nice. She didn't even sneered when she saw her, a pathetic little human girl and she wasn't planning on feasting her too. The thought made her smile a little wider.

Gaining some of her confidence, she said. "My name's Tsubame. What's yours?"

The woman let out a giggle, it soothed Tsubame and made her felt a tingle of happiness. "My name's…"

Suddenly Tsubame's brown eyes widened and let out a huge gasp.

Her savior raised one delicate eyebrow before she turned and her throat came in contact with the cold blade of a katana.

Kaoru's sapphire-silver eyes looked up to see cold amber orbs framed by long hair tied in a high ponytail that strongly reminded her of blood.

"We've finally found you," muttered the man, his icy voice sending shivers down her spine. "Demon child."

AN: How's that for a first try at RK? I hope it's at least presentable. ^.^ Also, I'm making a survey, a poll actually, about whom do RK fans prefer: Battousai or Rurouni(I hope I spelled it right) or just plain Kenshin. It would surely be a help if you guys can cast your votes. (I vote for Battousai! Hohoho ^.^). Well until next time. Sayanora!