Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Demon Child ❯ Going to Kyoto ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Warning: Some crude language.

The Demon Child

Chapter two: Going to Kyoto

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Kaoru bent down on one knee and gently placed a bouquet of white roses on the tombstone.

Three graves were placed beside each other to signify their closeness when alive. A large wide tombstone marked the site.

Misao, with difficulty, got down besides Kaoru. The emerald-eyed girl placed a vase of fresh lilies besides Kaoru's before she clasped her hands together and prayed.

Kaoru glanced at her friend with worry. Misao would deny it of course, but Kaoru knew that the girl's body still sore from the bruises and cuts she had received. Kaoru noted Misao's injured arm, bandaged and held up by a sling, shook uneasily due to the discomfort.

Kaoru shifted her gaze to read the tombstone.

Here lie the remains of:

Dr. Shinto Gensai; 68 years old

Ayame Gensai; 10 years old

Suzumi Gensai; 5 years old

The writing was simple and informal. Kaoru let out a mournful sigh. There wasn't enough money to pay for a more decent funeral. They barely could afford the burial and Kaoru wouldn't hear of it when Tenken suggested that he and his comrades will pay for the expenses.

Kaoru ears perked up when she heard a quiet sob. The now raven-haired demon turned her gaze at Misao. The girl had her eyes closed yet the demon saw a single tear trailing down Misao's cheek.

Kaoru stared at Misao crying with outmost envy before she turned to stare at the mass grave. The demon closed her eyes to prevent anyone from seeing the storming silver that threaten to mix with sapphire.

She was jealous of Misao. While it was natural for the other girl to cry, Kaoru couldn't do it. She could cry yes but only when she felt the outmost pain and sadness to a point where she couldn't control her self-being anymore. Being a demon, if she cried, Kaoru would lose all her sanity and become a raging bloodthirsty…well…demon that will attack anyone she sees. No matter who or what.

She remembered the last time that she'd cried. She was just five yet she punched and kicked into unconsciousness the young human boy who'd been so mean to her. If not for her adoptive father who bonked her on the head with a bokken so hard it made her faint, Kaoru would've succeeded in killing the boy entirely.

'That's what I have to keep my emotions at check," thought Kaoru. 'Though I can express other emotions, I can't and will not cry for everyone's sake.'

Kaoru opened her eyes, now a shimmering sapphire, to gaze at the rising sun. Her mother, being born a full human, enables Kaoru to gaze at the sun without feeling pain. It also helped that her father was a vampire of high ranking.

Higher standing werewolves and vampire both can walk in sunshine but it would be painful for them to gaze at the sun so they normally avoid the daylight. Lesser ones, however, avoid coming out during the day entirely.

Kaoru felt rage filling her every being as she thought of the one who ordered the people, whom she thought of as family, deaths. She growled menacingly.

I'll get you for this Shishio Makoto. I swear on their graves I will and I won't fail.

A hand tapped Kaoru on her shoulder. The demon turned around to see that it was Aoshi. The vampire had his eyes closed.

"Time's up." muttered the black-haired man.

Kaoru would've nodded her head but she wasn't sure if Aoshi could see it through his inner eye.

"Alright," she grumbled instead.

*~*~*~*~*~*

Kaoru opened her dojo's gate and was welcomed at the site of Sano entertaining Tsubame.

"It's all in the luck kid," Sano was saying as she rattled something in his fist. "You just throw the dice and hope that you get it. It also helps if you're skilled at this kind of thing."

Tsubame nodded her head attentively. Her brown eyes widen in child-like interest.

Kaoru lifted an eyebrow as she gazed at the two. Her voice was surprisingly clam and sweet when she said.

"Excuse me Sano." She started. "But isn't Tsubame too young to learn how to gamble?"

Obviously Sano didn't notice the disapproval in Kaoru's tone and shrugged.

"It's not too early to learn how to gamble Jou-chan," he answered amusingly.

Misao stared at Kaoru. She was afraid that the other girl would blow her top and punch the rooster-head so you could imagine her surprise when Kaoru smiled sweetly instead. A little too sweetly.

"Is that so?" said Kaoru, her voice sickening sweet. "Could you show me how then?"

Warning! Warning!

Misao suddenly felt pity for Zanza. If possible, Kaoru was even more deadly when she used her wits and not her fists instead. The demon would act calm and nice at first then, when you least expect it, KABOOM!

"Sure why not Jou-chan." replied the oblivious Sano.

Tsubame scooted over to give Kaoru some space. She gave the older girl a shy smile.

Kaoru returned the gesture with a sincere smile and sat down. She rolled up her kimono's sleeve.

"Let's get started then."

*~*~*~*~*~*

Thirty minutes later, Kaoru grinned wolfishly as she slid the chips she won towards her. Tsubame had long ago abandoned the game and contented herself instead by watching.

Judging by the towering pile of chips beside Kaoru, it doesn't take a genius to know who was winning.

Sano let out a groan as he watched Kaoru's ever growing pile of chips.

"Man Jou-chan." He muttered. "If this is a real gamble, I would've been flat broke by now."

"Who said it isn't rooster-head?" replied Kaoru, calmly. Her fangs sprouted as she smirked. "As far as I heard, you didn't say that this isn't a real gamble."

"WHAT?!"

"So I'm just going to milk you out of your worth." continued Kaoru, ignoring Sano's outburst.

Tsubame and Misao, who sat besides the younger girl, giggled as Sano's jaw dropped and his eyes widen at the horror.

'Too bad Aoshi-sama isn't here to see this," thought Misao. The ice blue eyed vampire had gone to discuss matters with Battousai and Soujiro.

Although they haven't known each other since a few days ago, Misao idolized the vampire called Okashira. She hasn't seen him fought yet but she certainly has heard of him. From what Misao learned from the gossiping men and women at the Akebedo, Okashira was the leader of the Oniwabanshuu; an underground group of ninjas and shadow fighters with several connections in the underground network. To be the high leader of such a powerful group made Misao, a ninja herself, looked up to Shinomori Aoshi.

Misao looked away to prevent anyone from seeing the blush that crept along her cheeks. It wasn't also that bad that Aoshi happens to be a very handsome man…err vampire. That tall lean body that outlined his clothes; those icy blue eyes framed by his black locks; the way his cloak swirled around his marvelous body and that grim line his mouth usually makes. And the dark aura that surrounds him only made Aoshi more attractive.

Ah yes. Shinomori Aoshi was definitely the type of vampire any female of any species would die for. If Misao was the swooning type of female, she'd swoon and not care where she landed. But…hopefully, she thought with a smirk, she would fall in Aoshi's arms.

Misao grinned playfully as naughty thoughts appeared in her mind.

'Down girl down.' She thought amusingly then mock-frowned.

'I've been hanging around too much with Kaoru.'

Misao thoughts drifted reluctantly to the night Dr. Gensai and the girls were killed. Her lips drew in a grim line. She barely mentioned the topic the past few days. Misao knew that it would bring pain to herself and Kaoru.

However, Misao felt guilty. Guilty that she couldn't even think of the three people she considered to be her family without flinching and wishing that she would just forget. Guilty that she couldn't even save them; that she just watched Shishio's wolves beat and slaughtered Dr. Gensai, Ayame and Suzumi…that…

"Whohoo! Go Kao-nee! Go!"

Tsubame's yell shook Misao out of her dark musing. The dark-haired woman gave a small smile, grateful at Tsubame.

Misao notice that Kaoru, by now, had won all of Sano's chips. The raven-haired demon gave a smug smirk.

"I expect the cash as soon as we arrive at Kyoto." said Kaoru plainly.

Sano groaned. "Come'on Jou-chan…Cut me some slack will you?"

Kaoru simply rolled her eyes in response.

"It's your own fault Rooster-guy."

The three females watched with amusement as Sano's face turned a pretty shade of red.

"You just love making fun of me, don't you?"

"Of course." replied Kaoru smoothly.

The two continued to bicker at each other, trading one comment with another.

Five minutes later, the three remaining vampires returned to be greeted at the site of Sano being flown across the yard and plastered on one of the dojo's walls.

Soujiro snickered while both Battousai and Aoshi merely raised their eyebrow at the scene. All shifted their eyes to stare at Kaoru who had stood up, one of her kimono's sleeves rolled up.

Kaoru glanced at the rest. Her face turned a slight pink when she found them staring at her.

"What?" she muttered impatiently, tapping her foot. "He was getting on my nerves."

*~*~*~*~*~*

The train's whistle screeched, signaling the passengers to ready themselves for the departure.

"Last chance Tsubame," warned Kaoru as they all heaved their luggage inside the baggage compartment. "Are you sure you're coming with us?"

"I'm sure Kao-nee." replied Tsubame, her brown eyes sparkling with excitement. "Besides, Tae wanted me to give this message to her cousin in Kyoto."

The brown-haired girl took out a sealed letter from the inside of her kimono and waved it around.

Kaoru smiled and helped Tsubame go up the train. The male vampires had already gone in to find a spare room.

Misao was about to follow when Kaoru reached a hand out to stop her. The other girl raised an eyebrow in surprise but let Kaoru drag her to a secluded spot away from the other boarding passengers.

"Misao." started Kaoru. "I know how you feel about their deaths."

Misao's eyes widen yet she couldn't help but be amused at Kaoru.

'Trust Kaoru to be a blunt person.'

"But it's not your fault." Kaoru continued. "You did the best you could."

"And it wasn't enough Kaoru!" replied Misao, practically screaming. All of the pains and suffering she went through that night had finally surfaced.

"I couldn't save them damnit! I couldn't even protect them! I just stood by and watched them die!"

Misao kept on sputtering about her painful thoughts and feelings. Kaoru kept her cool fortunately and slapped the other girl hard on the cheek.

Misao went into shocked silent. She held a hand to touch her red cheek and winced. It stung. Kaoru sure knew how to throw a slap.

"How do you think I feel Misao?" said Kaoru, her voice eerily calm though her sapphire eyes had a hint of silver in them. "At least you were there to protect them. I wasn't!"

"You tired your best to save them. I didn't! I felt the danger that night but I just shrugged it off. Thinking that what I sensed was just Tsubame and her would-be attackers. I was stupid to not heed my instincts."

"Yet…" Kaoru's voice trailed off. The demon sighed. "We cannot undo what is already done. No matter how much it hurts us, we have to move on for their sakes."

"I cannot do that Kaoru," replied Misao. She gripped her fists tightly. "I can't just move on. I want revenge Kaoru. I want to kill the bastards who Shishio sent."

"I didn't ask you to forget about their killers and pretend that they died of natural causes Misao." answered Kaoru. "But I do want you to focus and think. Not to just blindly go to Shishio's land in a fit of reckless rage. Shishio's strong Misao, you could get killed before you have the chance to aim your kunais."

"Then what should I do Kaoru?" asked Misao, her emerald eyes threaten to shed tears.

"Be strong Misao." replied Kaoru. "Both in mind and body."

"But most importantly," she continued. "We have to wait and realize the whole situation first."

"I want to know what Shishio wants with me."

Both women fell silent, deep in thought. Soujiro's voice, however, broke them out of their reverie.

"Kaoru-san, Misao-san." shouted the male vampire from a window. "Get inside. The train's about to leave."

Kaoru and Misao eyes widen and both sprang off towards the train's boarding line, not wanting to miss their ride.

*~*~*~*~*~*

The train had barely begun to move when Sano held a panicked look in his face.

"Holy Shit!" cried out Sano, edging as far as possible from his seat near the window. "The train's moving!"

Soujiro, who unfortunately had the seat besides the now-pale Sano, pushed the spiky-haired vampire who almost smothered the shorter vampire with his larger body away.

"Get off of me Baka Tori-atama." Soujiro growled menacingly. His grayish eyes flashed red for a second before he smiled his usual innocent smile. "Of course the train's moving. That's what it's supposed to do for us to get to Kyoto."

Kaoru and Misao smirked at Soujiro's reply. Tsubame just gave an innocent smile. Even Battousai and Aoshi gave a small smirk at Sano's demise.

"I absolutely hate trains," muttered Sano under his breath.

"You can have my seat Sano-san." said Tsubame sweetly.

Sano threw a grateful look at Tsubame and gladly exchanged seats with the young human.

Unfortunately of him though, taking Tsubame's seat would mean that Sano would have to seat across from Kaoru.

"Hey ya Jou-chan," greeted Sano merrily now that he was far from the window. "Are you really going to take my money?"

Kaoru raised an eyebrow. "Goodness Rooster-guy, you made it seemed as if I'm going to steal your money. I won it fair and square Sano so don't give me the lip."

Soujiro, Aoshi and Battousai turned to gaze at Kaoru. Soujiro, the only one from the three to show emotions, had a surprised look on his face.

"You won it?" asked Soujiro. "How?"

"Sano gambled against me and lost." replied Kaoru calmly. "So now he owes me money."

"How much?" asked Battousai, clearly interested.

Everyone else leaned in to listen. Sano paled thinking about the amount that he would have to pay.

"Let's see…" Kaoru mentally counted the amount of money she earned. "About 100,000 yen approximately."

Sano's eyed threaten to bug out of their sockets. The way his mouth gape open then closed reminded Kaoru of a bubbling fish.

"What?!"

"You heard me Rooster-guy." said Kaoru stubbornly. "You owe me 100,000 yen."

"Don't call me Rooster-guy!" growled Sano in frustration. Just great! Now I really am going to be flat broke! Kitsune will kill me!

Kaoru, Aoshi and Battousai snickered. Soujiro, Misao and Tsubame, however, were trying unsuccessfully to hold their laughter so much that their shoulders shook and they had to cover their mouth with their hand.

Sano grumbled and lean against his chair with arms crossed and a sour look on his face.

Soujiro, Misao and Tsubame couldn't take it anymore and laughed freely to their heart's desire.

*~*~*~*~*

Kaoru felt someone shaking her shoulder roughly. The demon grumbled and waved her hand, trying to get the person to release his grip on her.

However, the person was relentless and Kaoru soon opened her eyes to gaze into amber orbs. It was Battousai.

Kaoru realized the closeness of their bodies and blush a pink hue.

"We're here." said Battousai, his voice cold as ever.

Kaoru turned her head slightly and to find that everyone else had gone. It was just the two of them.

"Hai, hai." muttered Kaoru in response before she scrambled to get up and away from Battousai strangely comforting arms.

In her haste, Kaoru forgot about the laws of physics in balance and fell down her seat, taking the crimson-haired vampire with her.

"Err…well this is new…" muttered Kaoru, laughing softly to relieve the tension that heightened between them. She gazed up at Battousai with a cheerful look in her eyes.

Battousai, however, met her gaze with emotionless amber eyes. Suddenly, a sly smirk replaced the grim frown on his face and Kaoru felt a delightful shiver run down her spine when the smirk caused Battousai's fangs to show.

"Indeed it is." He replied huskily. His voice hoarse and almost tantalizing.

Battousai leaned closer, his nose touched Kaoru's. A clawed-hand reached out to touch Kaoru's cheek. To the demon's surprise, the touch was gentle and feather-like.

Kaoru shuddered when Battousai started to caress her cheek with his thumb. Her sapphire eyes turned a shimmering silver when Battousai leaned closer, afraid yet excited that he would kiss her.

Instead, Battousai stopped and got off from her entirely. Kaoru didn't know whether to felt relieved or disappointed.

"The others are waiting outside." grumbled Battousai as he turned his back to Kaoru.

Without waiting for a reply, the vampire walked away. Inside he was cursing at himself.

'What the f*** made me do that? I almost kissed her damnit! Damn her! I haven't felt these emotions in centuries and now my hormones have come back to haunt me! Shit!'

'Yet you couldn't deny the attraction that you felt when you first saw her. You know that she's different from the rest, regardless that she's a demon child.' said a sly voice in his head.

'Be quiet you!' growled Battousai before he smacked himself in the forehead. 'Great. Now I'm talking to myself. Real swell.'

'Admit it that you like her and maybe I'll drop it.' replied the voice on his head.

'Shut up you pansy.'

'Oro! Sessha is not a pansy, de gozaru.'

'Oro? Sessha? You've got to be kidding me. You really are a pansy.'

Kaoru too was lost in her own thoughts.

'I should be mad. After all, he tired to kiss me! Well…he didn't actually tired to kiss me but that's not the point! He's too close.'

Kaoru let out a sigh as she followed Battousai.

'Why do I feel this way?' she thought. 'Why does my heart leapt whenever he's near?'

Kaoru raised her hands up in the arms furiously.

'Mou! I must've lacked sleep from thinking too much. I'm starting to hallucinate and imagine.'

Kaoru stopped in her tracks. Yes that's it. She just needed sleep and everything will be okay again. No more weird feelings about Battousai.

"You coming?" said Battousai, looking over his shoulder to glare at Kaoru.

Speak of the devil. Kaoru smirked.

"I'm coming!" she called out. "Keep your hakama on!"

~To be continued~

Sapphire: Sorry minna if you think this chapter's too long. I just kept on writing and adding until I couldn't think anymore. Hohoho! ^.^ I really hope that you guys liked this chapter.

Yay! Battousai and Kaoru had their first (almost) intimate moment. I know that it's too soon and I agree but they still haven't fallen in love yet. But they do feel the attraction.

Also, Misao seemed to like Aoshi…Hmm…think they'll end up in this fic? Only time will tell…

Hohoho! The Rurouni had a cameo. I didn't thought of mentioning him but my hands seemed to have a mind of their own and typed the exchange. Also, I'm not too familiar with the Rurouni's speech pattern so I hope I got it right.

Lastly, the inner eye is an ability commonly found in vampires. The inner eye enables the vampires to use their ki to heighten the senses and to search for the ki of others. Normally, the inner eye is used to be able to know where one is going. This is handy to vampires who usually walk during day time.

Well that's all of now. Tune in next time! Sayanora.