Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Four Swords ❯ The Four Swords ( Prologue )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

AUTHOR'S NOTE: I've taken many, MANY liberties with the characters, their personalities, and their ages, so please bear with me (trust me, I KNOW when I'm screwing something up from the graphic novels or the show). I've also altered the storyline a bit… You'll see when we get there. Also, any historical information you can provide would be most helpful and I'll take it into consideration when writing! Please read and review for me—I have emotional attachments to these characters (don't ask)!
 
I've posted in on ff.net, but it hasn't met with much success. Hopefully you all will be nicer!
 
Prologue: The Four Swords
 
I watch her from here, protecting her even now. So many years have gone by, yet still I remember her… Every day I thank him for saving her, and every day I wish for her suffering to cease. Yet still it goes on, merciless and destructive as time. I can do nothing. Ha. HHWho am I to say I protect her? I abandoned her, ten years ago… No matter the reason I did it, I still left her alone.
 
+.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.+
 
My life is… empty. Without meaning. I thought that I would avenge my friends, those who were most loyal to me, those who died for me. But what of afterward? When they have been avenged, when our superiority is known, what then? Ten years ago, I had purpose. But as time has passed… purpose has become a luxury for those favored by the government. Those who are still being lied to want only to survive. And I… want only to know who I am.
 
+.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.+
 
There was so much left undone… I watch my only fellow left struggle in that world where he does not belong. So idealistic, it reminds me of my friends. I distinguish between the two, still, in my mind. He fights evil in whatever form it may take; they fought the evils of human nature and society. And yet he is so much happier than them… They wander, aimlessly, driven by something dark and frightening. I must find a way to end it.
 
+.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.+
 
I died ten years ago. My body wanders still, but my heart, my spirit, my soul, is gone. Gone, lost, torn from my fingers like a leaf in the breeze. I died because of a change in the wind… the wind changed, without care, without consideration for the leaves that would be blown away. Ten years spent training… but for what? The sword I carry by my side… Why? Who am I to wield this sword… the sword that led the Four Swords?