Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Journey Home ❯ The Letter... ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Journey Home

Letter of Return

Chapter 5

Kaoru looked over to where her son was sleeping in her room. The poor boy had an eventful morning with his uncles celebrating his birthday. She watched the rise and fall of his chest for a while before she turned back to the little desk sitting in the corner of her room. She knew what she had to do, but was dreading it. But she couldn't stand anymore nagging from her conscience telling her that she must give her son some kind of family connections other than the ones around the dojo. Covering up her son and patting his flaming red-hair, she walked over to the evil desk to begin her loathsome chore.

Kaoru sat down, pulled out a sheet of paper, and stared at it trying to formulate the words that she wanted to convey to the person she was writing. She moaned and felt like tucking the white sheet of paper back into the desk and going outside for a little sunshine and quiet, before her rambunctious four-year-old woke up. But she couldn't, every time Suzume-chan and Ayame-chan called to their grandfather for a hug; she could see the sadness in his soft violet eyes. He wanted a grandfather too. He already knew Sanosuke, Yahiko, and Megumi had not immediate connection to him. Therefore, his only relative was her, his mother. Kaoru sighed as she picked up the brush dipping it into the ink she began to compose her letter.

****************************************

Kenshin trudged up the mountain pathway with a slightly heavy burden on his back. He had just came from the village doing his daily chores of replenishing his Shishou's much loved Sake. He had also stopped at the Aioya to drink tea with Aoshi, and have Misao avoid him as usual. It was funny, when he first returned to Kyoto he'd avoided Misao and her family, because he didn't want her yelling at him or telling him what a horrible mistake he'd made by leaving Kaoru. He didn't need Misao telling him leaving Kaoru was terrible. He knew it, and most of all his heart knew it, too.

Nevertheless, he knew he could not hide up in the mountains forever. He was sure Kaoru would continue her communication with Misao. For that reason, he'd been expecting a knock on his master's door waiting to greet an angry Misao, demanding him to return to Tokyo. Yet, she never came. Misao never found her way up the well-trodden pathway to bang down his door. He decided to go to town and find out why she had not even taken time to visit him and scold him about his relocation. The only thing she said was, "it was his choice, how he chose to live his life." That statement coming from Misao was just plain strange practically since he could see from her facial tic it took all her training to hold in what she really wanted to say on the subject of him and Kaoru. Kenshin shook his head and adjusted his small cargo.

Even stranger was a letter given to him by a courier who had been heading up the mountain. It was a letter for his master, Hiko Seijuro, the 13th master of Hiten Mitsurugi Ryu. He looked at the handwriting, trying to decipher who would be writing his master any kind of letter. As much as he knew, Hiko Seijuro did not have friends outside of the Sake shopkeepers in town.

******************************************

Hiko peered at the letter Kenshin handed to him. He'd hadn't even touched his beloved Sake; so shocked was he at receiving the letter. To him letters only brought one thing: bad news. Moreover, he did not need any bad news at this late point in his life. He glanced up to see Kenshin slowly preparing tonight's dinner, but also covertly scrutinizing the long envelope in his hand. His student was curious and it radiated off him, although he was polite enough not to ask what was inside the package. Hell, he was curious, thought Hiko.

Walking away to sit by the crackling fire, he could still feel violet eyes watching him from the small area he used for cooking. He looked down at the letter one more time before flipping it over and unsealing the wax. He pulled out several sheets of paper one containing a picture of…Kenshin? He flipped back to the original page and began to read, aware that his student had stopped what he was doing to watch him.

Hiko Seijuro-san,

Pardon me for interrupting your solitude. I am Kamiya Kaoru, shihondai of the Kamiya Kasshin Ryuu dojo, in Shimatachi Tokyo. You may also remember me as the young woman you met several years ago who followed your student from Tokyo.

The thirteenth master looked up and with a reflective look on his face as he thought back to when Kenshin came from the Tokyo the first time. His idiot student had come back wanting to finish his training. Oh, the female, he remembered her, she was the young woman whose companions consisted of a brash young ninja girl and junior swordsman. Seijuro nodded and glanced back down to his letter wanting to know why she was writing him.

If you still don't remember me I'm the one who sat down on your floor mat before you and told you of what your student had been doing after those years that he left you to join the civil war. Although, I was able to persuade your student to return to Tokyo, it was beyond my power to make him stay.

He knew that already, his student was right now boring holes in his back longing to know what was contained in his letter. Hiko glanced over to Kenshin and lifted a black brow.

Kenshin blushed and hurriedly dumped the vegetables he had chopped into a waiting iron pot, while his master went back to his letter.

I am not writing to you to help me track down your student. I also don't want you to convince him to return to Tokyo, but rather I am writing you to tell you of some joyful news. Congratulations! Albeit a few years belated, nonetheless congratulations. Four years ago I gave birth to a young boy, whom I have named: Kamiya Tamashii. The picture that is included in this letter should tell you who his father is.

Hiko let out a gasp as he shuffled through the papers and found the picture. It was a drawing of a little redheaded boy with large violet eyes standing in a field surrounded by little pink flowers. The little boy had on a small sea-green hakama with a white gi. He was flashing a small toothy smile. "Damn," said Hiko after he studied the image for a few more minutes. "Looks just like him."

"Did you say something," asked Kenshin hoping his master would want to discuss the curious letter that someone sent him. He looked up from stirring the pot expectantly.

"No," Hiko absently replied as he went back to reading his letter. Why did the girl send him congratulations? Why not Kenshin?

I hope you enjoy the picture of Tama-chan. It is one of my favorites. You are probably asking why am I sending you this letter and picture. Because of who Tama-chan's father is you are the nearest person my son will have to a paternal grandfather.

Grandfather? Him? Hiko gulped.

I have a room waiting for you, should you ever want to visit your grandson. I know he will want to meet you, as I am the only official family his has, you being Kenshin's adopted father…

He noticed the angry strokes that made his student's name. The rest of her strokes had been smooth and flowing, but when it came to Kenshin's name, it was as if she had to force herself to write it. He raised an eyebrow. A mystery waiting to be solved? He chuckled.

…makes you officially Tamashii's grandfather. I hope you are pleased. I will await your letter or visit. Please do not feel cornered in, by the sudden appearance of my son. If you do not want to visit him, do not worry. I will not be telling my son about you unless you contact me otherwise. I understand if you want to remain out of his life.

Seijuro snorted. "Likely chance. Especially after receiving this letter."

I ask only one more thing of you Hiko Seijuro-san, and it is the most important favor that I will ever ask of you. Please, do not tell your student about Tama-chan, if he should come and visit you. I do not want him to return to Tokyo out of a sense of duty. I am more than capable of taking care of my son. I do not need him around me. Please, respect my wishes on this matter.

Respectfully,

Kamiya Kaoru

Hiko reread the last part of the sentence and laughed. So, she wanted nothing to do with Kenshin, huh? I highly doubt that. It did not escape his notice after the first time she wrote Kenshin's name; she refused to write his name again. Nor, did she actually say that Kenshin was her son's father. I bet the wound is still fresh, especially if you have a son that looks just like the man you who left you. Hiko shoved the letter back inside the envelope, he held the colored drawing gazing at it for a few more seconds a bare hint of a smile graced his face before he returned it too, back to its original container. Grandfather, huh? I think I like the sound of that. Standing up he placed them among his things, knowing Kenshin would never violate his privacy. In contrast, he could not say the same for himself. He turned with a cunning smile on his face as he prepared to delve into Kenshin's privacy.

Hiko leaned against the wall watching his student try to pretend that he was busy brewing tea for their dinner. "Kenshin," he called. "Dinner smells good."

Kenshin stood up and turned to his master. "Thanks. Did you finish reading your letter?" He wiped his hands on the small towel laying next to the knife he had used to cut the vegetables for the stew. Kenshin picked up the tray and carried their food toward his master. "Was it good news," he asked setting the food down between them.

"Yes," he flashed a smile. "It was from an old friend that I haven't seen in a long time. The letter contained quite the surprise." He moved to take his position in front of the warm hearth across from Kenshin. He picked up his teacup and tested the green tea by sipping it. He made a face. "It needs Sake."

Kenshin got up and retrieved the bottle of chilled Sake. He handed it to his master. His eyes darting to where the letter had been placed. "Is your friend well?" He picked up his chopsticks and began to eat.

"Yes, considering the circumstances," he responded pouring Sake into his green tea. "But, like I said it was surprise to hear from this friend after so long." He drank some of the now spiked tea, smiling at its smooth taste. "But it is good to hear from friends."

Kenshin nodded his head, as his heart constricted painfully. Do I have any friends left?

Hiko smiled inwardly watching the look of sorrow come over his student's face. I guess the boy still misses the girl. "Speaking of friends," he began idly picking at the salmon Kenshin had prepared. "I would have thought you would have received some visits from those people in Tokyo. Especially that Kaoru girl."

Kenshin's chopsticks fell out his hands spilling the steamed rice that he was about to eat down his pink hakama. "W-What?" He began to pick up the rice. "Kaoru-dono?"

Hiko let his smile show through as he began eating with relish, "You know that Kaoru girl. She seemed attached to you. I think with the obvious feelings she held for you, she'd at least come and see about your welfare."

Kenshin placed the picked up pieces of rice depositing them to the side of his tray a sad smile on his face. "I don't think Kaoru-dono will be ever visiting me." He sighed. "I doubt she wants to see me after the way I left her." He began to pick at his fish pushing the sliced pieces around as a picture of Kaoru's bright blue eyes filled with tears flashed in his mind. Her eyes filled with tears were one of the many scenes that would continue to haunt him just like the spilled blood on his hands.

Hiko raised an eyebrow at his adopted son. "Why wouldn't your friends come and check on you? For them to never want to see you again or inquire about your welfare would seem unlike the people I met."

"You don't know what I did," replied Kenshin.

Just the opening he needed. Hiko moved in for the kill. "So, why don't you tell me."

*******************************************

"Kenshin," Hiko sat forward with a serious look on his face. "You leaving them could put them in worse danger, than they were in before you left."

Kenshin blinked wide purple eyes at this master. "Nani de gozaru?" He picked up the dishes. "How could me deciding to leave put them in a greater danger Shishou?"

"Because, when your enemies came after you they were coming after you." He picked up the Sake jug pulling the cork out with his teeth. "Now, that you have disappeared, and no contact with the outside world except for the people of the Aioya, your enemies in Tokyo have a new target." He slammed down his drink emphasizing his point. "Your friends."

"My friends," parroted Kenshin getting a sinking feeling. "But I'm no longer in Tokyo. Why would they go after Kaoru-dono?" His voice rose as panic set in and his mind raced about the unwittingly leaving his precious Kaoru in danger.

Hiko leaned back against the wall. "Let me tell you a story about some nasty people I got involved with. When they had an adversary, they could not track down or win against they would kill that person's friends and/or families. This way the person who had made the unfortunate mistake of making an enemy out them would live and suffer the lost." He pointed his saucer at the stunned Kenshin. "You have dedicated your life to protecting people, especially those people in Tokyo. Now, what do you think will happen to them? Who's there to protect them?"

Kenshin mouthed gaped open and closed as his saliva dried up as scenes of his friends murdered flashed through his head. I never thought my leaving could cause an effect like that. Have I put them all in danger, because I'm no longer there to protect them? Are they even still alive? I haven't made contact with none of them since I've came to live with Shishou.

Hiko smirked inwardly watching the myriad of emotions flash across Kenshin's face. He knew what he was doing was wrong and the story a little over the top, but his naive student was so gullible sometimes it was embarrassing. "You know Kenshin," said Hiko deciding to end the conflicting tug-of-war going on inside Kenshin. "Maybe you should journey to Tokyo to check on your friends."

Kenshin blinked at Hiko with wide purple eyes. "Return to Tokyo de gozaru ka?"

Hiko nodded. "You know just to make sure they are all right, then you can come back to Kyoto with piece of mind."

"Maybe I will," said Kenshin slowly as the thought of returning to Tokyo began to take root in his head. "Just to check on them." He picked up his chopsticks and began to eat what was left of his dinner.

*****************************************

Kaoru looked down at her son's beaming face as they waited outside the dojo for her carriage. "Are you going to be good for Yahiko and Sanosuke," she asked him.

Tamashii nodded gazing up at his mother with wide violet eyes, so much like his sire. Although, Sanosuke, Yahiko, and Megumi tried to say, Tamashii's eyes were a darker shade. However, to her, those were the same eyes, even his hair was red like Him, matter of fact her son was a walking miniature of Him.

"Okasan," cried Tamashii as he tugged on the sleeve of her kimono. "Okasan."

Kaoru shook her head clearing out old memories and dreams she once held when she was young and naive. "Nani, Tamashii."

"Nothing," he replied as he kicked some dust up, suddenly finding the dirt road interesting.

Kaoru smiled her son was outgoing, but he began extremely shy when he wanted to ask for certain things. "How about I pick you up something from my trip? What would a young boy want...chocolate, sweet bean soup, a toy...hmm?" Kaoru pressed a finger to her lips considering.

"He would like all of them," voiced Tamashii as he looked up at her with a toothy smile. His mom was the greatest person in the world. She never forgot to get him something when she went away on her trips.

"All three, hmm," laughed Kaoru. "But has he been good enough to deserve all three?"

"Yes, he has," chirped Tamashii grinning.

"Oi, Yahiko," called Sanosuke as he elbowed the young teenager in the ribs. "Tama-chan seems to have wheedled another present from Jou-chan."

"He has learned from the master," smirked Yahiko, as he elbowed the ex-gangster turned teacher back in the ribs.

Sano smirked and nodded his head. "I love influencing the young. Plus, I am an excellent teacher."

Kaoru rolled her eyes. "So modest." She hid a grin as Sanosuke continued to smile. She turned toward Yahiko, "I want you to go to the market first, then do the other stuff you are supposed to do, okay."

Yahiko sneered. "Yeah, I know what to do. You don't have to constantly nag me."

"I don't nag," denied Kaoru quickly. "I'm simply reminding you of the chores your have to do while I'm away. If I didn't remind you what to do you'd waste the whole day "working" at the Akabeko with Tsubame-chan." She watched Yahiko blush furiously before she returned her attention to her son. "You stay close to Yahiko and Sanosuke in the marketplace."

"Hai, Okasan," he replied a smile on his innocent young face. He loved it when his mother scolded Yahiko-ojisan.

Kaoru nodded her approval at his answer, before she rounded on Sanosuke. "Don't you let him wander off like you did last time Sano." She listened to him grumble and mutter his denials, before she added, "I also, ordered lunch for you three at Tae-san's. Oh, and Megumi's asked me to tell you, you need to pick up the children from school."

"What about the Fox Lady?" demanded Sanosuke. "What's she going to do, while we watch the kids?"

"When she gets back from doing her rounds at the local houses for those who can't come into the clinic, she will be cooking dinner for us tonight." Kaoru glanced down the street trying to see if her carriage was coming. She attempted not to notice the looks of joy that suddenly appeared on her son and friends faces.

Yahiko, Sanosuke, and Tamashii let wide smiles spread across their faces as they thought of the delicious food Megumi would be cooking for them, which was a much appreciated break from Kaoru's cooking.

Kaoru frowned at the men. She honestly thought her cooking was better than before, of course it wasn't on the same level as Tae or Megumi's, but it certainly was not the horrible mess she use to cook when she met them.

"Yahiko," called Kaoru pulling him from his daydream of edible food. "Don't forget all your classes have been canceled for the day. You and Tamashii have to be fitted by the tailor for new clothes." She gracefully walked forward and began to straighten out his hakama. "Mou, you're growing like a weed."

The adolescent swordsman reddened as he moved from underneath her mothering hand. "So, does that mean I can drink Sake now?"

"Iie!" snapped Kaoru as she stepped back from the teenage boy. "You're still too young to drink, but I guess I could bring some back with for tonight's dinner."

Tamashii looked up confusion clouding his violet eyes. "Demo, Yahiko-ojisan always drinks Sake when he's out--"

Yahiko and Sanosuke's hands shot out stopping the little boy from revealing their secrets. Sanosuke let out a fake chuckle. "Heh, Tama-chan is such a comedian."

"Oh," said Kaoru her blue eyes narrowed on the men. She glanced down at her son's covered mouth. She glanced back toward the two men and watched them pale underneath her hard gaze.

Sanosuke and Yahiko gulped and with their hands still covering Tamashii's mouth they began to back up, before she started swinging and yelling.

Kaoru opened her mouth to speak, but shut it when the hired carriage came to a stop in front of her, saving Yahiko and Sanosuke from a definite ear blistering. "I'll be speaking with you both later," she said before climbing up into her carriage. "Be good for mom, Tamashii," she slammed the door to the cab.

*********************************************

"Now, Tamashii," said Sanosuke as they walked down the Tokyo road toward the marketplace. "When we have man time--like now--you can't tell your mother what we do."

"Why?" asked the little boy as he held on tightly to his Uncle Yahiko's hand.

Yahiko smiled. "Because, your mother is a girl, and she wouldn't understand man things."

Tamashii scrunched up his small face as he regarded both his uncles out of his thoughtful wide eyes. His uncles were often teaching him "man" stuff, when they went out, but they often got in trouble for their "man" stuff with his mother and Aunt Megumi. "I don't know..."

"What's wrong, Tama-chan," said Sano as he saw the confused look and muttered words.

"Well, Sanosuke-ojisan," he began stopping to ponder the importance of secrets and "man" stuff. "I don't like keeping secrets from Okasan."

"But Tama-chan," protested Sanosuke to the little boy. "These are man secrets."

The little boy shook his head sending his red ponytail flying over both his shoulders. "No secrets!"

"But--" Sanosuke started.

"It's no use," said Yahiko laughing. "You might as well give it up, Sano. He's as stubborn as Kaoru when his mind is made up."

"Besides," chirped in Tamashii as he began to walk backwards. "I don't want to be in trouble with Megumi-obasan and Okasan all the time like you two." He snickered as he ran the last few steps left to the Akabeko.

"Why you little," cried Sano and Yahiko as they raced after the mischievous four year old.

***************************************************

The pounding of hoof beats caused Kenshin to startle from his own thoughts as he moved out of the way of the oncoming carriage. Tokyo, thought Kenshin, as he looked around the town it had not changed much in the years he had been gone. He was still getting strange stares as he moved further into town. It could not be his sword as he had wrapped it up and was presently carrying it over his shoulder. Besides most of these people should still remember him.

He hadn't seen his friends in four years, but he could see them clearly in his mind's eye. He remembered the brash young Yahiko, the rude gangster Sanosuke, the obviously feminine Megumi, and of course the combination of all three: Kamiya Kaoru. Her feminine attitude was a misleading image, which had he guessed served her well, when she lived alone. More than a few people who had underestimated her, which was their ultimate mistake--even he'd been caught a few time underestimating the strength and cunning in Kaoru, maybe that's why he fell instantly in love with her.

Kenshin looked up catching another person staring at him and whispering. Nervously he ran a hand through his flaming red hair making sure not to bring any more attention to his scar. He did not like the looks and the whispers; he knew a couple of the merchants who were talking in hushed tones as they stared at him. Was there something wrong? Did something happen to Kaoru and his friends? Kenshin quickened his steps toward the dojo.

************************************************

"Okay," said Yahiko as he tried on another hakama a light lavender color that Sanosuke had picked for him. "What do you think of this color?"

"I don't know," giggled Ayame as she looked toward her sister. "What do you think Suzume-chan?"

"It's kind of bright," she lifted a brow and stepped back hoping to get a better angle. "The color reminds me of flowers. I think you should go with the dark green and black hakama."

Sanosuke snorted. "Obviously you two don't appreciate the color purple. Purple is capable of instilling fear into your opponents. If you wear purple is tells your enemies, you have nothing to fear. Purple for a man shows his prowess."

Ayame and Suzume giggled. "Fine, get it," said Ayame. "I think Tsubame has a matching kimono that color, too."

Yahiko blushed and turned toward the clothier. "I'll take the dark green, black, and gold. Have them delivered to the Kamiya dojo."

The old garment maker smiled and bowed to the young gentleman. "Would there be anything else, sir?"

Yahiko grimaced and stepped back make sure the door was clear of any signs before he placed his next order. "Yes, I would like the lavender kimono with the cherry blossom leaves, please."

The clothier turned around, picked up the kimono, and smiled. "Yes, this is an exceptional kimono. My late wife made this piece. I'll pack this with your things."

Ayame, Suzume, and Sanosuke turned their backs hating what was about to come next. Yahiko sighed. "I also need you to make an extra obi for the kimono. The second belt should have a small spotted white dove on it."

The clothier looked at the young man's angry face as the request sunk in and he finally realized where the boy wanted the clothes delivered. He had heard about Kamiya Kaoru and her soiled dove status. He knew the Moral Matrons declared after she had her baby, that she wasn't allowed in public without a soiled dove upon her clothing marking her true character. He'd also heard many businesses refused to acknowledge her when she came to them, instead she had been forced to go to the next towns over to do her shopping. The tailor smiled. "I'll get right on it. Thank you for your business."

Yahiko let out a relief and smiled. The kimono was a gift to Kaoru from him, today was the anniversary of the day, and she had rescued him from the Shuei Gumi. Of course if he hadn't switched the dice...but he was thankful nonetheless. "Domo arigatou." Yahiko turned to the group. "Come on it's time to go and pick up Megumi and Dr. Gensai."

"Fine," pouted Sanosuke a little put out that Yahiko didn't order the hakama he picked for him. "Let's go...Tama-chan?" He glanced down at his side and noticed the empty spot next to him. He glanced around him, but couldn't locate the little boy. "Tama-chan? Tamashii!!" he called frantically. "Shit!! Kaoru's going to kill me!!" He began shoving people out the way in the crowded marketplace. "Tamashii!!"

Yahiko took off running to the other way searching for Tamashii. "Tamashii," he yelled. "Don't make me tell Kaoru you broke your promise. Tamashii!!!" Tears pricked his black eyes.

"Let's split u--" Sanosuke was about to suggest when the girls let out a bloodcurdling scream. Turning swiftly Sanosuke and Yahiko saw what was making the girls yell and point. In the middle of the street was Tamashii struggling with a huge frighten white cat, obviously lame as he tried to carry it and him from the path of the carriage careening out of control.

Yahiko and Sanosuke took off running. They knew as the market people began to shove each other to save themselves from the crush of the carriage wheels and stampeding horse, they would be too late.

Kenshin looked up as people began shouting and pushing trying to avoid the out of control carriage. Kenshin heard a feminine scream looking around he spied a small form struggling in the middle of the street. He knew the boy would never make it out of the way of the carriage. Using his great speed Kenshin moved passed the panicky people gathering the boy and cat up in his arms, to jump quickly out the way, but unfortunately his only safe spot for him to land was among several wooden boxes. Kenshin used his body as a shield and absorbed the full impact of the boxes.

Sanosuke, Yahiko, Ayame, and Suzume ran toward the crash. All of thinking they had just seen a ghost rescue Tamashii. "It couldn't be," whispered Yahiko as he caught up with Sanosuke's long legged gait.

Pushing their way toward the crowd, they saw Tamashii sitting on the man's chest still clutching the lame cat. "Gomen nasai," cried Tamashii as he spotted his uncles and cousins. He started to sniffle, "I was just trying to help the cat." The cat in question screeched and shot out of the young boy's arms.

Yahiko bent down and swung Tamashii up in his arms, hugging him tightly while he ran his hands up and down the little boy making sure nothing was hurt nor broken from the fall. These damn accidents were taking years off his life.

"Ne," said Suzume who was gazing down at the semi-unconscious man who began to moan. "Isn't this Kenisan?"

Sanosuke moved his eyes over Tamashii's rescuer noting the red hair, and scarred cheek. It was Himura Kenshin, all right. "Oi, Kenshin" called Sanosuke making Yahiko stiffen.

Kenshin reluctantly opened his eyes to the voice that called him. It sounded like...Sanosuke? Kenshin blinked before as he half focused on an older version of Sanosuke he'd left behind. "The child," he rasped out finally, his head was pounding, and the soothing voice of oblivion was calling to him.

"He's fine," spat Yahiko. "Thanks."

Kenshin shifted his soft violet eyes to see an older Yahiko also, but he was holding what appeared to be a miniature version of himself in his arms. "That's good," he replied before surrendering to the darkness.

============================================================== =======

End Chapter 5. Created [11/14/01] and Finished [01/18/01]. Well, Kenshin's back just like y'all have been asking. ^_^ Don't you like the way Hiko "persuaded" him to return to Tokyo? Coming next time: Talks by the River. Please send all: comments, questions, critiques, and flames to me at: pmchivas@hotmail.com. Alternatively, you can leave a note. Shishou M.

Lunatics Ravings:

The dove: In the last chapter the Matrons called Kaoru a soiled dove, and when she was able to rejoin society she was publicly named a soiled dove, to show she was impure. The dove is to be sown onto all outside clothing that Kaoru wears ala the Scarlet Letter. In ancient times the dove symbolized peace and purity for different cultures. In addition, in the old west the name "soiled dove" was given to prostitutes. It was actually a name of a famous salon, too.