Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ The Man and His Mermaid ❯ Of casinos and little sisters ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

How do you do. Yeah so here I am finally with a REAL Rurouni Kenshin fanfiction. Maybe some of you stumbled upon my retarded parody where everything Kenshin says is a line from a song (?)
So one day I got this totally crazy idea about Kaoru being a mermaid, so here is the first chapter! Hope you like it, but even if you don't, just remember you can always send me a flame telling me exactly how much you despise it. Deal? I kind of like flames, they're morbidly entertaining- but compliments are always welcome, if you have any...
 
And now...
Disclaimer: I do not own Rurouni Kenshin or any of the other characters in that particular series because if I did I would not be writing a fanfic, I would be making an episode with full coverage of Kenshin and Kaoru's wedding, I thank you. However I do own Kisuri Himura, my own fictional character.
 
-Narration
-“Speech.”
-Thoughts.
 
 
The Man and His Mermaid (I know, the name REALLY sucks)
The Himura Hotel, Tokyo
Conference Room
 
 
 
“Ladies and gentlemen, I have great news. Himura Enterprises is about to start another exciting project!”
 
The men and women sitting around the long, wide glass table dressed in expensive suits applauded. Among them was the son of the speaker, a certain crimson-haired young man whose unnaturally beautiful lavender eyes shone with admiration for his father. Not because Mr. Himura's shrewd planning and business skills had made their family fantastically opulent. It was because his father was the only such man he knew who did not use crooked means to make money and did not invest in things that would bring harm to people.
 
Unfortunately, the young Kenshin Himura was about to be bitterly disappointed.
 
“And this is the plan. To create a place of entertainment so luxurious, so different, that no one who visits will ever want to leave!”
Mr. Himura picked up the remote for the huge flat projection screen on the wall and switched it on. “Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce to you, the Mystical Dragon casino!”
 
The suit-clad party at the table applauded loudly while the screen showed a computer-animated video of said casino.
 
Kenshin's eyes narrowed and he made sure that his father saw how disgusted he was. It was a hard thing for him to just sit there; the urge to stand and walk out of the room (after throwing the necessary insults) was irresistible. But Kenshin did not want to embarrass his father. So he sat there throughout the meeting, fuming.
 
As soon as the meeting ended and the other people cleared out of the room, Kenshin went over to his father, his now slit-like eyes a glittering amber colour.
 
“What is it, Kenshin?” his father asked pleasantly, completely ignoring the look on his son's face. He had loved Kenshin's late mother to death, but, damn it, did he have to take her strange eyes, too?
 
“A...casino?” he asked angrily.
 
“That's right. So you were paying attention.”
 
“What are you thinking? Peoples' lives get destroyed in casinos, Dad, you know that!”
 
“Look, Kenshin, their lives only get destroyed if they choose to get carried away...”
 
“Oh...really?” Kenshin seemed to be in deep thought for a second. “Okay. Okay, Dad. I understand. I'll think about it. All right?”
 
His father seemed pleased. “Good. I knew you wouldn't let me down, son. That's your mother in you. She was always a smart and thoughtful woman...”
 
Kenshin smiled charmingly, but not because of the implied compliment.
Oh, no. It wasn't that.
 
That was my mom? Well, tonight I'll show you your own self, Dad, he thought, his clever plan clear in his mind.
 
“Well, I'll be on my way now, Kenshin,” his father announced.
 
“Okay, Dad,” Kenshin said. “But I think I'll come over to your place, just for a second. Do you mind?”
 
Mr. Himura looked surprised. “No. What is it, do you want to take your sister out?”
Kenshin nodded. “If she wants to go, of course.”
 
“I'm sure she will.”
_________________________________________________________________ _____________________________
 
Mr. Himura's mansion
 
“Kenshin!”
A pretty young woman ran down winding stairs and across marble tiles to the living room where her elder brother sat calmly. Her long, ebony dead-straight hair flew wildly as she rushed over to him.
 
Kenshin stood and embraced the excited girl, then drew away to look at her.
“Look at you. You're actually growing,” he said with a mischievous grin on his boyish face.
 
The girl gave him a look of mock displeasure. “Thanks a lot, Kenshin,” she said sarcastically. “Just I'd expect from a good brother like you.”
 
“Aww, come on Kisuri, you know I was just messing with you. You look great.”
 
“Huh! And all this time you didn't want to admit it!” she retorted.
 
Mr. Himura, who had been standing aside watching them, cleared his throat loudly.
 
“Oh,” said Kenshin. “Well, are you ready?”
 
“Do I look ready?” she asked in turn.
 
“Gosh, I don't know. Look, kid, when you're ready, just let me know, okay?”
 
They stood, silently stealing glances at each other for about two minutes, Kisuri expecting Kenshin to say she looked ready, and Kenshin expecting her to say she was ready.
 
“Oh, fine!” yelled Kisuri, giving in. “Look, I'm ready. See?” She ran both hands along the youthful contours of her body in an exaggerated manner.
 
Kenshin raised an incredulous eyebrow. “Where'd you pick up the attitude?”
 
Mr. Himura cleared his throat again. “Kisuri,” he said warningly, “remember what I told you about behaving yourself like a decent young lady...”
 
Kisuri looked hurt. “What did I do?”
 
Mr. Himura regarded Kenshin sternly. “And it's your responsibility, also, to set a good example for your younger sister.”
 
Kenshin was taken aback. “Hey, now I've never done that, whatever it is she just did, she just...”
 
“And remember that Kisuri's curfew is ten o'clock, not a minute later. She's only sixteen and—”
 
“Dad! Ten o'clock is too early!” Kisuri complained.
 
“Nope, it's perfect,” said Kenshin. “Come along.”
 
The lavender-eyed young woman continued to complain. “My friends at school stay out `til one! And they don't even go out with their brothers or anything-”
 
“Come on, Kisuri,” Kenshin coaxed.
 
“And I get good grades and everything! Why don't you think about that, Dad?”
 
To her horror, Kenshin simply scooped her up in his arms and literally slung her over his shoulder!
“Kenshin! Kenshin, put me down!” Kisuri yelled as they exited the house. “I was proving a point! You're supposed to be on my side!”
 
Mr. Himura waved to them and shut the front door.
 
Kenshin opened the front passenger door of his Mercedes-Benz Kompressor sedan and gently put his frustrated sister into her seat.
 
“Where are we going?” she asked as Kenshin began to drive.
 
Kenshin looked at her with the spookiest expression on his face. “Ha. That's a secret.”
 
“But Kenshin,” she whined, “I've got to know whether I can keep on this dress or if I should change into the black one.” She pointed to her short, glittering red strapless dress.
 
The look on Kenshin's face then was priceless. “You're not planning to—?”
 
Kisuri burst out laughing. “Kenshin, of course I won't change in here! Ever heard of a bathroom?”
 
“Whew,” Kenshin sighed in relief. “At least you don't seem as bad as Dad cut you out to be.”
 
“WHAT did he say about me??” she demanded.
 
“Um, nothing really.”
 
“Kenshin!”
 
“Come on, I don't want to talk about it now,” Kenshin said pleadingly.
 
“So you'll tell me later, right?”
 
“Er...”
 
“Good. I'll hold you to it.”
_________________________________________________________________ _____________________________
 
Kisuri slowly awoke as she felt her brother's hand caress her cheek. “Kisuri,” he called softly, “we're here.”
 
Her lilac eyes fluttered open. “Where?” She sat up and looked out of the car window. “Is this a club?”
 
“Nope. Come on, let's go in.”
 
Kisuri's eyes widened when they entered the building. “Kenshin, what are you doing? This is a casino, you know how much Dad hates these places!”
 
“Does he?” Kenshin muttered. “I see.”
 
Kisuri felt his grip on her arm tighten slightly. It was a firm grip, but as always he was very gentle with his younger sister.
“Kenshin, stop. I'm going back to the car.”
 
Kenshin simply took her further inside to an area with chairs and tables. “Have a seat.”
 
“Kenshin—”
 
“I have something important to tell you.”
 
Kisuri knew by the look in her brother's spellbinding but solemn eyes that he was dead serious, so she sat down.
“If you wanted to talk then why here? We could have gone to your house, Kenshin. If Dad finds out—”
 
“Of course he'll find out. By ten-fifteen he's bound to call me. But,” he said reassuringly, “you won't be in any trouble... To tell you the truth, I'm just using you for my own twisted aims.”
 
“Kenshin!” Kisuri picked up a glass of ice-cold water that was on the table and threw it in his face. “Don't scare me like that!”
 
Kenshin pushed some drenched blood red locks of hair away from his dripping face. “That's what I get for being honest. Guess I deserved it.” He leaned forward and met his sister's gaze squarely. “Now, relax and listen to what I have to say.”
 
“Okay,” she said uncertainly.
 
“Did Dad tell you about his new project?”
 
“No. What's it about?”
 
Kenshin averted his narrowed eyes. “So he didn't have the guts to tell you. Your dad is going to open a casino called the Mystical Dragon.”
Kisuri was in shock. “Wh-what? Are you sure?”
 
“Yes.”
_________________________________________________________________ _____________________________
10:10pm
 
Kenshin still sat in the same spot, awaiting his father's call. Kisuri had fallen asleep again, her head buried in his chest.
 
Suddenly his cellphone rang. Kisuri was startled awake. Kenshin smiled at her. “See why your curfew is ten o'clock?”
 
She just groaned.
 
Kenshin answered the phone. “Hello.”
 
“Kenshin?” his father said.
 
“Oh. Hi, Dad.”
 
“Kenshin, it's after ten. Bring Kisuri home.”
 
“Okay, in a while.”
 
“What's all that noise, anyhow? Where are you?”
 
“In the Lucky Livers casino. It's so lively in here, Dad. You should come.” Kenshin smirked.
 
“A casino? I've warned you about those places, but what can I say? I can't stop you...Wait—where's your sister?”
 
“Oh, she's here with me, of course, Dad,” Kenshin said casually.
 
Mr. Himura literally growled at him. “Kenshin Himura, you wouldn't dare.
 
“Well Dad, I already have. It's not a bad place, actually. Kisuri's safe. After all, her life can only be destroyed by gambling if she `chooses to get carried away,' right?”
 
“Bring her home NOW, you lunatic,” his father ordered.
 
“Lunatic? You're going to open a casino when you don't even want your own kids hanging out in one. Doesn't that sound a little crazy to you, Dad?”
 
“Just for this you'll never be allowed to go anywhere with her again!” said Mr. Himura angrily.
 
“She's my sister. I'm not a stranger to her. I can take her anywhere I want to, at any time that I want to.”
 
“She's MY daughter! Do you hear me, Kenshin?!”
 
“Loud and clear.”
 
“Bring her home.” He hung up.
_________________________________________________________________ ____________________________
 
Kenshin parked his car in the garage and soon unlocked the front door in relief and got into his house.
“Ohh,” he sighed, exhaling deeply. He would never admit it to his father, but he definitely knew how to make a man really tired. Kenshin had attended four business meetings in close succession. After that he went out with Kisuri. He still frowned when he thought of his dad's actions. Mr. Himura had pulled Kisuri into the mansion as soon as Kenshin took her back but he blocked Kenshin's way, stating in an icy tone that Kenshin was not allowed to enter and that he would call (Kenshin) later on in the night. Obviously when Kisuri was asleep.
 
Kenshin shrugged nonchalantly. He had a strange urge to go out onto his private beach, which was more or less on his doorstep. If his dad called while he was away, that was just too bad. He grabbed a flashlight and ran out the door.
 
 
The tide was low and there was a full moon. The whole scene and the sound of the water seemed to soothe Kenshin's very soul. He lay back on the sand, content to pull his fingers through his scarlet tresses until a large blue crab sauntered right in front of his face. Kenshin grabbed at it and the creature began to run across the white sand. He stood and ran after it for a short while until the crab disappeared into a hole.
“Oh, great,” he muttered. I'm crazy. All those meetings are getting to me...
 
After all, how many nineteen-year olds actually spent their time sitting through meetings (and not getting paid) simply because their dads said it would be good practice for them? There weren't many that Kenshin knew, but in any case he was making money from his own businesses even while he lazed around on the beach or wasted time at boring meetings. So it didn't matter that much.
But if Dad thinks he's going to see me tomorrow he's sadly mistaken.
He turned to leave the crab's hiding place when the flashlight's beam shone on something he hadn't noticed before. A surge of fear paralyzed him.
It was—a woman's face!
_________________________________________________________________ ____________________________
 
That's it for chapter one! Hopefully it wasn't too long(??) But I got all the necessary facts in here at least.
So did you enjoy it? Or do you detest it? Send me a review, please, I would love to hear from you. If I get a review or two I'll continue the story, all rite?
Well, enough of me. Laters.
SparklingEmeralds