Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ When A Man Loves A Woman ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Standard Disclaimers Apply. Ruruoni Kenshin is not mine, never has been and will never be! Too harsh but that's the reality folks! @_@;;

Let's test Kenshin Himura's ever-popular denseness. Up to what extent can he stay inside his 'shell' when his so-called Kaoru-dono, ever-respected and protected; put on the highest pedestal that he could, suddenly becomes the object of his attention.

Sorry for the long delay… this will be my last contribution in the meantime SukiHunny takes over from now. She got back from her long vacation now and before college life gets the better of her, she'll try her best to get back into writing shape. Thanks for the reviews. ~T.P.D.V

"When A Man Loves A Woman"

Chapter Two

The Next Morning…

'Quiet now… easy. You can do it Kaoru… now just a little more and you're there…'

"Kaoru-dono…"

'Sshh…'

"K-kaoru-dono…?"

'Be quiet! Or else Kenshin will catch you again…'

"…"

Kenshin smiled inwardly as Kaoru tiptoed slowly out of the room. He watched as she her eyes pried the place for any sign of him. When sure that she was quite alone, she slid the door open and took her sandals to wear them in another place far from there.

The Ruruoni could not help but frown.

This was the fifth time this had happened between him and Kaoru. It was a complete dèja vu for at almost exactly the same time he would catch her tiptoeing along the corridors, as if he would not notice. But of course, she thought she knew Kenshin that well enough.

I know even the slightest movement she makes in her bed… that I know if she had a good night's sleep or otherwise. What more if she leaves the dojo! Kaoru-no-baka…

The first time he had caught her was just the other day, when he had waken really early to do the laundry. He heard noises from her room, noises she would usually make when she dresses herself.

'Is she going out?' He asked himself then. But what confused him more is her manner of taking off. Kenshin found himself hiding in one corner before Kaoru stepped out of her room.

His brow arched upon seeing her tiptoeing in front of Yahiko's room…

His brow arched even more upon seeing her tiptoeing much carefully in front of HIS room…

Before she could even walk further, he stepped out of his hiding place.

"Ohayou Kaoru-dono…!"

"!!!"

"Are you going somewhere?"

Kaoru slowly turned around to see her Ruruoni smiling radiantly at her. Trying to elicit a nervous smile, she spoke.

"O-ohayou Kenshin! Y-you're so early today!"

The Ruruoni nodded, smiling even more seeing the worried face Kaoru is helping not to show. "Hai! I need to finish my laundry fast so I can help Yahiko fish later," he said. He thought of teasing her again. "May I know where you might be going Kaoru-dono? I can still do the laundry later so I can go with you-"

"No!" Kaoru's eyes widened at her own reaction and clamped her mouth with both hands. "Uh… W-what I mean is, no… that's not necessary Kenshin! And who told you that I'd be leaving anyway?" she said, walking quickly way from him. "I'd be going to Tae, y-yes! But that's still later in the afternoon. See you in the kitchen!" And she was gone.

Kenshin was left alone standing, with doubt and confusion growing at the back of his mind. And that triggered his morning 'paranoia', causing him to wake up earlier than what he does usually, finding Kaoru doing the same 'sneaking' out for about several times now.

Where could Kaoru-dono be possibly going to this time so early?

The market?

Demo… Sessha's the one who's assigned on that today.

Does she have sword classes today?

Iie. Sessha has asked her about that yesterday.

Anou…

Sessha doesn't have any idea.

Kenshin looked up the bright blue sky above him. Today was a rather splendid weather, perfect for him to do his most favorite chore of all time-laundry, no doubt. Shoving a stray hair off his face by his left arm, he tried not to do the last thing he just did a few minutes ago…

Glance at the dojo gate.

He inhaled deeply as he did so nevertheless. It was almost lunch, and Kaoru has not yet come back since early morning she sneaked out. Kenshin fought the urge to blame himself for not following her to where she might have gone.

Kaoru-dono has the right to her own privacy, that she has.

What if something happens to her?

Like what?

Like if she gets abducted by… Enishi, for example… Jin'eh… Shishio…

They have been settled by and are taken cared by Sessha, remember?

We may not know…

???

???

Alright, that does it.

Kenshin rose and wiped his hands from a dry cloth nearby and went inside the house.

This is not a good idea, that I feel it is.

He continued to proceed to his room and opened a narrow, wooden chest. Upon opening and seeing its content, he smiled before even touching it.

Hello there, my friend. Its been a long time since we've seen each other, hasn't it?

He took out the sakkabattou from the chest and fidgeted it firmly. Eyeing it thoughtfully, he spoke to it again.

"Gomen ne, for disturbing you again. But when talks of Kaoru's safety is concerned, I know you understand me quite well, don't you?"

Taking out the sword from the scabbard, it gleamed brightly against the sunlight penetrating from the paper walls, as if agreeing to what Kenshin had said.

"Oh! Ohayou Kenshin! What brings you here?" Tae's smiling face greeted him as he entered the Akabeko. "Have you taken breakfast already?"

Kenshin bowed slightly to his and Kaoru's gracious friend/host before talking. "Iie, Tae-dono…arigatou. I was just wishing if I could talk to Kaoru for a moment. Is she here?"

Tae frowned slightly. Much when she saw the thing dangling from Kenshin's side. The confusion suddenly turned to worry.

"Does your sword has anything to do with your search for her Kenshin? Did something happened to her?"

Kenshin's mouth quivered. "Is Kaoru not here?"

"I'm afraid no. I have not seen her around since last week!" Tae said. The woman's eyes widened as Kenshin quickly turned around and headed for the door. "W-wait Kenshin! What re you going to do now?"

Turning his face slightly, "Like what I always do when Kaoru's gone… turn Japan upside down to find her if I must."

By mid-afternoon, Kenshin was already in the Tokyo outskirts.

"Excuse me ladies but, have you seen a girl of this height, blue-eyed with waist-length hair?" he asked two women coming down the road.

The two eyed the striking man in front of them before the taller one shook her head then they continued on their way.

Kenshin could only sigh from much toil and hopelessness. It will get dark soon and as minutes pass, his mind could only think of a thousand unpleasant thoughts of what might have happened to Kaoru.

If something bad happens to her I swear, de gozaru na.

He can feel himself reverting slowly to the person he once was. He knows Kaoru would not forgive him if he does something terrible, like to kill for example, even for her. She would not let him shed his blood for her again and again. But for times like these, he has no other choice.

He had wished for Sanosuke's presence at that moment. He would know what to do, unlike him that forgets to think rationally once Kaoru gets troubled. Sano would know where to look for, for he has the means. He has contacts all over the city. He's not called Zanza for nothing, is he?

Kaoru, where are you?

"Those Dutch are really tall, ne?"

Kenshin's musings were cut short by a conversation he heard from three men nearing his way.

"And they sure pick the best looking women in town!"

"Yeah, but I won't let my wife engage in any of their businesses, even if they really offer me a good deal of money…"

Foreigners? Here in Tokyo?

"I heard they recruit women and torture them before they be sold as prostitutes in other countries."

"Is it really true then?"

"That what?"

"That they have strong backers in the government that's why they don't get caught?"

"W-well, I don't know. What I'm sure of is that they are using that old magistrate edifice right across town…"

"See? I'm so damn right…!"

"One, two, three…one, two, three, one. One, two, three…one, two, three, one. Faster… faster!"

"But I can't take it anymore!"

"C'mon now Kamiya! I know you can do more than that!"

"It hurts!"

"Go on!"

Kaoru pouted at the man. Patience, Kaoru. I know you can do this.

Another man beside her spoke, "Are you alright? Do you want to continue this tomorrow instead?"

Kaoru was fast enough to answer. "No, please. I can still do this. I'm saving tomorrow for my house chores. You know…" she said, smiling sheepishly.

The tall foreigner smiled back. "You're one tough woman for your age."

She nodded proudly. "Hai. Many says that I'am."

"Then let's continue now," said the man, offering a hand to Kaoru. "I know you can attain your goal in less than a week. You're a fast learner, Ms. Kamiya."

Kaoru only winked at the man.

"Shall we continue now, Rainier?"

The man called as Rainier looked at Kaoru who approved. "Yes please. Uhm Leeuwens, could you make it slower? We're both having a hard time keeping up with the timing, you know."

The other man just shrugged. "Positions."

Kaoru clung knowingly to her partner and concentrated. She frowned as she heard a soft chuckle from the taller man who held her.

"You look cute when you're serious."

"Really now."

"Alright, let's do the step again."

The two started to tango their way around the spacious hall. Kaoru was deep in concentration as Leeuwens continued to monitor their steps.

"One, two, three…one, two, three, one. One, two, three…one, two, three, one!"

As the beat went faster, the two slowly became lost in their own reveries. Like each other's feet had its own mind, linking and connecting to the other.

Kaoru began to feel sweat trickling down her back. The gown Rainier Schneider lent her began to feel uncomfortably heavy against her skin. Its ribbon at her back felt tight around her slender hips; as well as the tight sleeves that encircled her arms.

The steps became faster…

… and faster…

… and faster.

Kaoru could not hear the instructor Leeuwens' counting anymore. She was lost in her concentration. Deep in her thought she pictures herself dancing around in the arms of the only man she had ever loved.

Kenshin…