Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ When A Man Loves A Woman ❯ Chapter Three ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Standard Disclaimers Apply. Ruruoni Kenshin is not mine, never has been and will never be! Too harsh but that's the reality folks! @_@;;

Let's test Kenshin Himura's ever-popular denseness. Up to what extent can he stay inside his 'shell' when his so-called Kaoru-dono, ever-respected and protected; put on the highest pedestal that he could, suddenly becomes the object of his attention.

Warmest greetings to all. I know I owe you all a bit explanation for my long absence. My cousin has been covering up for me while I was away. I just felt I needed to have this 'break' and it sure helped me to realize a lot in life. My vacation was indeed great and while I was there I missed writing… but then my folks told me I should take my time to recover since my Mom's demise. And now, I think I'm ready again, especially since I'm entering the university I have always liked to study in this June. Bear with me. ^.^

"When A Man Loves A Woman"

Chapter Three

This is the only old building I haven't checked out as far as I can remember. Kenshin said as he approached its tall gate. A stout, tall man in unfamiliar clothes stood up from the corner where he sat as he saw the Ruruoni.

Kenshin observed from under his bangs the long-standing structure in front of him before he spoke in a calm voice.

"Ohayou, sir. But have you noticed a small, dark-haired woman pass by here?"

The taller man frowned from the other side of the gate. Casting Kenshin an expressionless look, "No. I have not seen any woman here with that description."

The ruruoni's lips quivered. Its obvious he's lying to me.

"Are you quite sure about it, kind sir?"

The man glowered at Kenshin. "You go away from this place, understand? I have no time talking to a rat like you."

He has called me a rat, de gozaru yo.

"I was asking you nicely, so I expect you answer me nicely too, sir." Kenshin darted back, looking directly at the man.

"What?" the heavier man reacted. "Why the rat-!" he said, trying to open the gate. "When I get my hands on you-! H-huh?"

The rat was gone.

"Kaoru, I didn't know your hands are softer when held long."

Kaoru slowly tilted her head up to the face of the one who spoke. "There are so many things I still don't know about you… though we have been living together for quite long now."

Kenshin's eyes penetrated into Kaoru's in a meaningful stare. Amber orbs danced in the depths of her eyes as a faint blush tainted her pale cheeks.

The music began to play sweetly around them; as if mimicking the emotions they share while holding each other close. Each note was endearing, relaxing… appealing. Soothing their tired hearts from much agony brought about by the past battles. Kaoru felt the sudden surge of memories flooding her head-she had her eyes shut firmly in rejection.

This was not concealed from the man who held her. His face was evident with worry as she saw two tears sliding down her ivory cheek.

"Kaoru, doushitano?"

"Nothing… nothing…" Her sobs became audible by the second…

"Kaoru… Kaoru…" Rainier worriedly asked the crying woman. "Are you alright?" By this time, even Leeuwens was at their side.

Kaoru's body shook with each sob she made. Her chest yanked heavily, face distraught in plain distress.

"Nothing… nothing…"

Nothing can help me with my problem with Kenshin. We've been together through a lot, and still he wouldn't open up himself to me…

What can make him feel at peace…?

O-or… there's none?

Iie…

I don't want to give up…

"Kaoru…"

She was surprised when she could not feel the stony hardness of the floor anymore, but the velvety softness of the sofa Leewens was sitting at while they danced a while ago. She opened her eyes and found Rainier sitting beside her with Leewens anxiously watching her.

Kaoru raised her eyes to meet Rainier's. He was smiling sweetly at her, handing her a white handkerchief. "Please don't cry anymore okay? Its distorting your beautiful face…"

She frowned. There was no hindrance of sincerity in his voice.

Kaoru's eyes fluttered slightly. Looking directly at the other man, "D-do you really mean that?"

Rainier chuckled. "Of course," wiping off gently the wetness in Kaoru's face. The cloth trailed the ends of her eyes… the tip of her nose, and the plumpness of her cheek. Eyeing her tenderly, "You are the loveliest girl I have ever seen in along time, Kaoru. And don't let anybody tell you otherwise."

Leeuwens smiled and winked at Kaoru, who blushed at his words. If he was lying, he holds no motive. They had just met the other day, who again accidentally had watched one of her self-pity monologues by the river and sworn she would be the most graceful girl on that side of Tokyo by the end of the month.

His words calmed her.

His words struck her.

She wanted to believe him.

But all she can see in his eyes was earnestness.

Honesty.

Genuineness.

Things she had been dying to hear from the only person she loves…

… but she never did…

And never will.

"Arigatou, Rainier-san. I'm so sorry for all the trouble…" Kaoru said as she tried to get up. Suddenly, a spell of nausea blurred her sight.

"Kaoru!" Rainier was quick enough to catch her before she fell back to the sofa. "Kaoru? Kaoru, answer me!"

"Miss Kaoru!" Leeuwens hastily assisted Rainier. "I think she has been having a hard time breathing in those clothes."

"Then help me get her out of it," the man said as he quickly unknotted the lace of Kaoru's dress at her back but could not because it was too tightly made.

Kaoru was getting bluer by the second; her face looked flushed due to lack of air.

"Why can't this thing go off?" Rainier was getting impatient. "Its too tight! Can't we do something?"

Leeuwens hastened to get Rainier's knife from a table nearby. "Here. Cut the strings with this."

Rainier pulled the knife from its case and carefully sliced the strings of Kaoru's dress one by one until he came to the last knot.

Just a little more Kaoru…

"Get your hands off her, you animal."

The two men suddenly looked at the direction from where the voice came. There was no denying the held back fury in it.

And there he was, the ex-hitokiri, glaring at them.

"W-who are you? How did you get in here?" Leeuwens asked the red-haired man.

Kenshin still stood there, his face void of any expression. "It doesn't matter. Hand her over to me quickly."

Rainier frowned with his cold entrance. Who might this be? "I cannot give her to you, sir. You are in my house. She is my responsibility."

The ex-Hitokiri's eyes narrowed. He could see that the man's hand is still caressing Kaoru's limp body.

"If I were you, I'd ask no further. Give her to me so I'd spare your life." Kenshin's fingers fidgeted at the scabbard of his sword. This was not hidden from Rainier's prying eyes.

Looking once more at Kaoru's face, Rainier held her close. If something happens to me I still hope you can find your happiness. I cannot give you up to this mad man without a fair fight.

Just then, Kaoru groaned. Uncomfortable sounds came out from her mouth. "Please… air… I need t-to… breathe…" was her whisper.

The foreigner had managed to shift her to his arms once again, attempting to cut the last remaining tight string that held her ribs tight…

Do I want to give up on you, Kenshin?

No… for that will only mean I do not love you.

B-but…

… b-but…

I'm getting t-tired of all these games…

Your enduring self-pity is only breaking us… not keep us together like you make me feel.

Are we really drifting apart?

Are we…?

I'm tired, Kenshin.

Really tired…

Kaoru heard metal clashing around her. It sounded all too familiar.

With Jin'eh Udou…

… with Aoshi Shinomori in Kanryuu's mansion…

… Saitou Hajime at the dojo…

… Shishio Makoto…

Enishi Yukishiro…

"Stop!"

And she was awake; hair disheveled, her dress half-torn-baring her ivory shoulders. A sight to behold for Himura Kenshin.

She was alive-and well now. Her voice was like water washing his madness to kill the man that held her a while ago away.

She was alive-and for the past years they had been together, it was this time that he truly admits to himself the real feelings he has kept hidden for this woman-the goddess-in front of him.

She was alive-and will not be alone anymore. For he, Himura Kenshin, will take his formal place in her life from now on.

Visions of her and him, finally together.

Woe be to all those people who kept on pestering Kaoru for her alleged 'immorality' for now they will answer to him now…

After this…

After this…

… things will be different.

"Kaoru…" Kenshin almost said inaudibly. Dropping his sword on the ground, he ran to where his love stood still…

He fought the urge to embrace her, to reassure her once more that everything will be all right. Like what he always did during his previous fights.

He held out his hand to her and brought out the calmest expression he could muster…

But then, his head was turned slightly from the impact made by Kaoru's hand.

She slapped him.

Kaoru… slapped me.

Why? His eyes questioned.

Kaoru raised her gaze at the man she just slapped. With worn eyes, she felt her mind spinning again as she whispered the words quietly, but seemed like a bomb to Kenshin's ears:

"I'm giving you up."