Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ When it Rains ❯ Chapter 6 ( Chapter 6 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimers: Rurouni Kenshin was a creation of Nobuhiro Watsuki. I don't own anything I'm just borrowing.

"......" indicates dialogues

'........' indicates thoughts

WHEN IT RAINS

Chapter 6

The Kamiya dojo was a place of battles and sword practice therefore a place where the tension was a very frequent character. The last few events however created an atmosphere so tense that nothing that happened before could be compared to. Standing in front of the door was a man holding two guns one pointed to Kenshin and the other to Sano, Misao, Yahiko and Megumi, still he wasn't looking at any of them he was staring deeply at Kaoru who seemed to be the only one who knew all of the people present.

She was positioned between Kenshin and the newcomer staring back at the last one as the first watched them with narrowed amber eyes, his hand never leaving the hilt of his sakabattou despite the fact that the man clearly represented no threat whatsoever. As for the rest all they could do was to observe the scene before them in confusion lots of questions growing inside their minds.

It was strange how the man managed to keep his eyes calm and gentle as he looked at Kaoru and yet at the same time he held an impassive and ruthless stance against the others and even more amazing was the way that situation seemed to fit him so well.

"So you know?" Kaoru asked tears beginning to form in her eyes.

"Yes…But you don't have to worry anymore. I'll protect you from now on." Seiya said still targeting Kenshin and the others with the guns.

At that moment Kaoru felt an enormous relief. He knew about everything and he would never judge her and for the first time in days she didn't felt so lonely. She could talk to him and he would understand. She didn't have to be ashamed of him for the things her father did because he was part of that. And right there she felt… she felt her burden lessening and the need to share her feelings for long repressed.

"I've felt so lonely… I didn't know what to do nor who they are nor what they want from me. And there was no one I could talk to. His sins were supposed to be taken to his grave… along with him, Seiya. It shouldn't come back now to hunt us." She said in a small voice but the anger could be noticed easily as her nails pierced the palms of her hands as she clenched her fists.

"But you're not alone anymore. I'm here…And I'll make everything all right again. I promise." Seiya said to her the concern clear in his voice.

"You do?" she asked sounding like a little child who needed comfort.

"Yes. And you know that I always keep my promises, don't you? I mean I've said that I would come back if you were in trouble and here I am", he said calmly but one second later his tone changed to something more threatening as he became once more aware of the presence of other people. "Now who are they?"

"Oh! They are…Argh!!" Kaoru was about to answer when she felt a sharp pain in her stomach with all that commotion she had completely forgotten that she was bleeding and her wound had broken open.

Both Kenshin and Seiya went to her but as she was facing the last one she fell forward in his arms and he hug her, one of his hands still holding a gun.

"You're bleeding!! I have to take you to a doctor." He said as he lifted her up.

"No… I'm fine I just need to rest for some time. It won't take long… just…" She faltered and fainted in his arms.

"Kaoru-chan?" Seiya called frantically.

"Kaoru-dono?" Kenshin shouted desperately running towards her and the man. But before he could get any closer Seiya pointed the gun in his direction and he stopped. Not that he thought he couldn't take down the weapon even before the man was able to shoot. He had his god like speed on his side and he was very much aware of his own skills. But nevertheless the man was holding Kaoru in his arms and he had a gun. And that was enough to stop him, narrowed amber eyes glaring at the newcomer.

"Who you think you are?" Kenshin growled.

"I'm the one she called friend whereas you're the one she was yelling to get your hands off her and step away. Shouldn't I be the one asking you this question?"

"How dare you?" Kenshin started.

"I'm a doctor. I'll take care of her." Megumi interfered.

"I don't think so. Besides I don't trust you. Any of you." He said eying above all the redhead.

"I'm not going to let you take her anywhere. Megumi-dono can look after her." Kenshin was having hard time controlling his anger and the sudden desire to grab the man's neck. He couldn't believe in the petulance of this guy Seiya. He had just showed up from nowhere, he had pointed a gun at him and was holding Kaoru in his arms, thinking that he was the one to take care of everything.

"I said no. Didn't you hear me?" Seiya shouted back at Kenshin, the daring in his voice like a challenge.

"Seiya-kun, that's enough. Kaoru needs treatment. I'll take care of her. Take her to her room and stop this quarrel. Now it's not the time!! It was Dr Genzai who had just got there. His concern toward Kaoru more important than any argument those two men were engaged into.

Both of them looked at the old man taking into consideration his words and deciding that he was right this could wait. At that moment Kaoru's well being was the only thing they should worry about. So Seiya carrying her proceeded to her room followed by the doctor leaving behind but not for long a troubled Kenshin.

******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******

Outside Kaoru's bedroom an awkward silence filled the space. The apprehension grew further with every second past as they waited for Dr Genzai with news regarding Kaoru. But the door kept closed for what seemed an eternity.

Seiya was leaning his back against the wall in the hall that took to the bedrooms his stance was an evidence that he was decided to block the passage of anyone who tried to go inside Kaoru's bedroom. He had his face completely hidden by his hat and he kept quiet all the time.

Even Sano, Yahiko and Misao always so chatty decided it was for the best to keep their thoughts inside their minds for now.

In another side of the room was Kenshin, his bangs shadowing his eyes preventing anyone of seeing his expressionless face. The always calm rurouni was gone for some time now leaving a tumultuous Kenshin in his place. His thoughts were a chaos and he felt extremely frustrated for not knowing what was going on with Kaoru. And another feeling he couldn't name was plaguing him every time he remembered that man and the fact he knew more about Kaoru's situation than himself. 'The way he talks to her…so intimate. And she said she was feeling lonely… I …don't understand', his mind brought back to him. Yes, those words had hurt him a lot and the way she had said them… so full of sadness.

'She was feeling lonely', he repeated inwardly

He knew something was wrong but he never thought that she felt that way. And the fact that he didn't realize it just made him feel even more frustrated.

'Lonely…' she had said.

But you're not alone anymore. I'm here.' The man had replied.

Why? Why she said nothing to him? Didn't she trust him? What was it that she couldn't tell him?

'And there was no one I could talk to' she had said with tears streaming down her face.

'And I'll make everything all right again' the man replied.

Kenshin didn't know what to think. She was feeling lonely even though he was with her. He couldn't make her feel better because she wouldn't tell him what was wrong. He couldn't make everything all right but that man…he could for she could talk to him…for he knew what was wrong. Who was the stranger? And what did he mean to her? Kenshin clenched his hands into fists, so lost was he in his thought he didn't feel the pain as his nails pricked the palms of his hands.

'You've said before that I assume too many things about you, Kaoru. Was that my mistake? Did I take things for granted that much? In a way that you didn't feel like you could talk to me? Please, Kaoru, I need to know… when you wake up then we can talk… and maybe then…' but his thoughts trailed off as the door opened and Dr Genzai along with Megumi stepped out of Kaoru's bedroom.

Instantly the doctor had everyone's full attention. "She's awake now. The injury in her stomach is not too serious as long as she gets some rest otherwise it will break open again. I'm much more concern with her emotional state and all the stress she is passing through right now."

"Can we see her?" Kenshin asked already moving toward her bedroom.

But Dr Genzai walked in front of him, blocking his way, "Sorry, Kenshin but she…" he faltered after seeing Kenshin's brows knotted at him in puzzlement, "…she called for you, Seiya-kun", he finished turning his look away from Kenshin in the direction of the other man. " She says she needs to talk to you."

Kenshin was completely taken aback. Always whenever anything happened to her, he was the first one she called for. And he would go to her side and say 'Kaoru-dono, daijoubu?' and she would nod her head vigorously and smile at him to make sure he wouldn't worry about her. It was always like that but this time she had called for someone else. Kenshin remained standing there in the way for her bedroom, preventing Seiya to pass through.

"Ken-san… you can talk to her later." Megumi said in an effort to take him out of his inner chaos.

"Huh? Oh, yes. Later." He replied stepping aside of the way as he watched the other man slid her door open and go inside.

******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******

When he entered inside her bedroom he found her looking outside the window. It was raining and he remembered of thinking she never liked rainy days. He sighed as the reason of why came back to him.

'Of all days, should it rain today? So many memories these water drops will bring….' He thought.

He said nothing nor did he move it was something disconcerting that awkward silence especially when the words always came so easily between them. But he had stayed away for so long, so many things must have happened during this time.

"It was in a rainy day that I found out. And every time it rains still feels like that day. I go back being the same helpless girl running…trying to forget…to pretend it didn't happen. But one can lie to himself just up to a certain point." She said in small voice still looking at the rain.

"Jasmine…" he didn't mean to say it but the word just came out in a whisper.

She gave a sad chuckle "You used to call me like that and hearing it again it seems that all happened so long ago. But it didn't. It's not been so much time ago that I watched everybody I knew walk away from my life. So may good-byes. I remember the day you left. You said you're going to look for some answers. Did you find them? " She turned her gaze to look at him for brief moment only to return to look at the fallen water outside the window right after.

"No, I didn't. Actually, I stopped looking for them." He said as he took off his hat.

"That's so much like you, Seiya." She said, a small smile creeping up her lips.

He smiled back at her. 'Some things never change' he thought. But then the smile fell off her face as the changing of subjects seemed inevitable.

"That day when I saw him…" the word died in her throat but in a little while she found the strength to go on "…killing all those people I remembered of me begging for all the gods to let me wake up from that nightmare 'cause that's what I thought it was…a bad dream. But when the blood of one of his victims was all over me and I saw the look in his eyes. The look of someone being caught up into something that shouldn't be doing, I knew it was real. I didn't understand and I still don't why a man who claimed to believe in a sword that doesn't kill could be himself the hand of death."

"It wasn't like that and you know it. He wasn't a simple killer. He was doing his job." Seiya said walking near her.

"Being the master of Kamiya Kasshin Ryu, that's what his job was supposed to be." She said bitterly.

He kept staring at her. He could see the tears threatening to go down her face and her fight to hold them back.

"What do you want me to say? What will make you feel better?" He asked approaching her and putting a hand over her shoulder.

"You know what I want to know, what I always needed to know and you never told me. What did make him change? When did he decide that his beliefs weren't worth to fight for? When did he decide to give up on them? That's all I want to know. Will you tell me?" she asked with a pleading voice.

"Those answers…don't belong to me. It was your father's choice and you have to learn how to deal with it and maybe then accept it. Otherwise you will never be able to forgive him." He said briskly.

"I didn't think you would tell me anyway." She said lower.

"We have more important matters to take care of right now. Like who attacked you?" he asked as he remembered that she was hurt.

"I don't know. He was a bald strong man and he knew about my father and said he was the one who ruined his life." She said angrily as the memory of the man came back to her.

Seiya took a moment trying to think of someone who could be behind this all but at the same time he thought there were a lot of people who could be after revenge against him and the others he couldn't think of anyone in particular.

"Did you receive a letter?" he asked her.

"Yes." She left her spot at the window and walked toward her closet and took a wooden box where she had kept the letter. She handed it to Seiya and went back to the window.

He read it quietly. "It's similar to the one I've got. The same handwriting, that's for sure."

"What they want from us?" she asked looking at him.

"I don't know yet. But I will find out and I won't let anything happen to you. We must be careful from now on."

"Do you think they are after the others too? I hope they're fine." She said, her eyes softening.

"I'm sure they are. We were well trained." He said trying to give her confidence. "There's something else I want to ask you about. Who are those people out there?"

"They are my friends… my new family, Seiya."

"Can we trust them?"

"I trust them completely." She answered nodding her head for effort.

"So why does it look like they have no idea of what's going on?"

"I… I haven't told them yet." She said quietly.

"And you don't have to. It has nothing to do with them."

"Yes, it does!! Because they are my friends and I kept from them for too long now."

"So why are you so scared to tell them? I mean they will understand if they are truly your friends, won't they?"

"I don't know. I haven't been honest with them. I was afraid they wouldn't understand. But now it's time to tell them." She said walking toward the door.

"Wait! You need to rest now, and then you can tell them. I'll let them know you will talk to them as soon as you're ready." He stated holding her by her elbow and stopping her.

Kaoru looked at him for a moment and silently agreed walking toward her futon. She was truthfully tired.

******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******

Silence fell upon the room again after the newcomer left. Kenshin kept staring at the closed door. The turmoil he was going through inside his mind became noticeable to everybody.

Yahiko was the one to break the silence. The boy had had enough of it. He knew absolutely nothing about what was going on. Instants before he was blaming himself for hurting Kaoru. He saw the angry in Kenshin's eyes and he honestly feared for his life. So excuse him for wanting some explanations.

"What the hell is going on here???" he blurted out.

Everybody but Kenshin stared at the fuming boy.

"Hey, Dr Genzai! You must know something, right?" He asked not at all politely. "I mean, who the hell is this guy and why is Kaoru hurt? Who did that to her and why…"

"Settle down, Yahiko! I don't have all the answerers to these questions, and for those I do have I'm not going to give them to you for it's not my place to do so. So you'll have to wait until Kaoru-chan is ready to tell you all what's going on. I can only tell you this. That man is Seiya and he's a good friend for both Kaoru and me.

"But Kaoru never said anything about him."

"You'll find out there're many things Kaoru never mentioned before." After that everybody including Kenshin looked at the doctor. And he could see thousands of questions ready to come out of their mouths when suddenly the door of Kaoru's bedroom opened and Seiya stepped out.

All of them immediately looked at the tall man. Sano who was like Yahiko a little annoyed by that whole situation broke the silence.

"So? How is Jou-chan?"

"Jou-chan? If you're talking about Kaoru, she's fine."

After hearing that Kenshin walked in the direction of her bedroom, but was once again prevented of going any further.

"She's resting now," Seiya said resolutely looking at the redhead's back and then went on, turning his gaze to glance outside, "She asked me to tell you she will explain everything when she wakes up."

"Why don't you tell us what is going on since it looks like you know so much?" Sano demanded.

"There must be a reason of why she didn't tell you until now." He provoked.

Sano glared at him and was about to shout something back at him when the noise of a door being opened stopped him and got everybody's attention. They turned their heads to see that Kenshin was at Kaoru's door.

"Hey! Where do you think you're going? I've said…" Seiya started but was cut off.

"I've heard what you said, a good amount of it. I won't disturb her so you don't have to worry." Kenshin said briskly not giving anyone the chance to stop him to enter her room this time as he slid the door closed behind him.

"What's wrong with this guy?" Seiya asked at no one in particular.

"That's how things are around here between Kaoru and Kenshin, cowboy. So you better get use to it." Sano taunted. And this time he was the one to receive a glare from Seiya.

******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******

She was - like the man had said - resting. Kenshin approached her futon carefully and silently he was totally sincere when he said he didn't want to disturb her. But he needed to see her.

He kneeled next to her. She was so beautiful… so sweet. And all he wanted was to take whatever pain she was feeling at that moment away from her. Instead he was content to stroke some strands of her hair from her face.

"Kenshin…" he heard her whispering and his eyes widened.

Slowly Kaoru's eyes fluttered open and her deep blue eyes met his violet ones. He smiled at her like he always did.

"Kaoru-dono, are you feeling better? I didn't mean to bother you I just…" but he broke off when suddenly two slender fingers touched his mouth.

"No, it's ok, you don't have to apologize. I should be the one…" she took her fingers away from his mouth. "Oh! Kenshin I have so much to explain to all of you. So many things that I kept inside of me for so long." She said almost too quietly to be heard.

"It can wait. Now you need to get some rest." He muttered softly.

"No it can't. And I won't be able to relax until I don't tell you the truth." She said in a hurry as she sat up.

"Kaoru-dono I think you should…"

"I'm fine. It's just something I have to do right now. Please understand this." She requested silently.

"Ok, if it will make you feel better." He agreed and held out his hand to her to help her getting up and she accept it willingly an open smile curving her lips.

"Let's go tell everybody." She said as they held each other hands and headed to the room where they would find the others wanting.

******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******

Ichiro let out a deep sigh while he stared at the door pondering over what he would have to say to his boss and how he would respond to that. Even now after all the time they had spent working together, his boss reactions never stopped to surprise him. He never knew what to expect…and now more than ever. "What the hell!?", he decided pushing the door and stepping into the dark officer. He would have to do that sometime anyway.

He found his boss sitting in a chair with a sheathed sword on his lap and he was staring at it like he was in some kind of a trance.

"Er…excu…" he choked but was interrupt by the other man.

"What brings you here, Ichiro? No, let me guess. You have some news for me, don't you? Let's start from the good one." His voice was filled with sarcasm.

"How did know?" Ichiro asked surprised.

"Oh, please, Ichiro! You know me better than that. You should know by now that I'm always one step ahead of you." The other man replied amused.

"The good news it's that Seiya is already at the Kamiya dojo." Ichiro said firmly trying to contain his anger.

"Good. Now tell me the one you think it's a bad news."

"Well I… I know you've said not to bother with the others that we would deal with them when they got here but…" the bald man hesitated.

"But you disobeyed me and you sent another bunch of idiots to take care of them, isn't that right? His boss asked disdainfully.

"…Yes. I thought…"

"When I invited you to work with me I don't recall giving you the permission to think. You let the thinking part with me and I promise you, Ichiro my friend, our revenge will be memorable. And don't worry about those two; they will come to us just like Seiya did. Now there's something I want you to do for me."

"Another message?"

"Yes. See, you're getting smarter." The man's piercing laughter filled the dark room.

******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******* ******

Two silhouettes ran in the darkness of the forest. Their vision a sense of no use when all they could be aware of were the shadows pursuing them relentlessly. Still there were no mistakes on their movements as if they had done this before for many times. One of them stopped abruptly and turned in the direction of the shadows. One brief moment. One precise action. And the sound of a lifeless body falling on the ground could be heard. And then the character resumed to his running and was soon side by side with the other. But both of them stopped when the path became divided in two, knowing what had to be done, what they were trained to do. Still it wasn't an easy decision.

"We have to split", one of them said noticing the other hesitation.

"I know, Hyobe. It's just that…" a female voice became faint and then went on filled with angry "Who are them anyway?! And what they want from us?"

"I don't know Miya but it has something to do with Koshijirou-sensei and the job we did together with him. Well at least that's what the letter said."

"So that means there's only one place we can go in order to find answers, right?"

"Yes, we have to go back to the dojo."

"Do you think they are after Seiya too?"

"Probably. And I'm almost sure he's already in the dojo."

"Then we should go too."

"I agree. However it will be better if we take different paths now, it will be easier to deceive them."

Miya hesitated again but she knew he was right so she agreed, "Ok. We'll meet at the dojo. Good luck and try not to get yourself killed from now on since I won't be near to watch your back." She said amused.

"Don't worry I can take care of myself. Can you?"

She smiled playfully at him finding unnecessarily to answer him.

"Well good luck then."

"We'll see each other again at the dojo."

And with that they took different paths, which would take them to the same place the Kamiya dojo.

~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~ ~~~~~~