Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ When Push Comes To Shove ❯ Renaturation ( Chapter 9 )

[ P - Pre-Teen ]

Disclaimer: The usual.

Notes: Wronski Feint/Fairchild/Ornery-chan: You changed your name again?! Hitokiri Hakusai cracks me up to and the real one irritates me. I pity him though. ^.^

Seiyo: Wai!! You reviewed and you kept your promise, too. ^^

Minna: I'll definitely finish this. Back to school. Wah… But I'll try my best to get this thing done quickly.

Chapter 9

Renaturation

Kenshin and Sano were inside Enishi's store. Yes, Enishi's! Weird. But that was the way things were. The lunatic gave them a very mundane reception, ignored Kenshin's demands of the sakabatou, and dumped them on the hands of an aide. But not just any aide.

"Oh, it's the samurai," said the old man, when he caught sight of the rurouni. "It's good to see you up and running again."

"Kenshin, you know this guy?" asked Sano.

"Yes," replied Kenshin, stymied more than anything. "Oibore-dono, the man from Rakuninmura. What are you doing here?"

"Oh, right. I remember!" Sano snapped his fingers, face lighting up in recognition. Then, it dulled again with a frown. "No, I don't"

"He came after you left. Oibore-dono. The reverse-edged sword?"

The old man chuckled. "Hold your horses. Let's sneak out first before the master chases us out. You're not exactly the type of crowd he wants in his store. Said it gives him a bad image."

"Bad image. Yeah right," muttered Sano as they followed him to the back of the store and out the back door.

"Sit, sit," insisted Oibore, pointing down the soft grass. "It's shady here and cool."

The others did as they were told. "Good. So what is it you came to inquire about? Guns?"

"Oro." It slipped out of Kenshin's mouth in spite of himself. "Guns?"

"Aa. Wasn't that what you wanted?"

"No but the sword-"

"Swords. Oh, I thought you had one already. I didn't think you'd ever let go of it."

"Yes, but-"

"The lunatic took it, old man," Sano interrupted. "And we're kinda in a hurry so would you mind? Hand it over already!"

"Sano. I'll handle this. Keep quiet. The sakabatou?"

"No sakabatou. No swords," said Oibore. "And I am sorry to inform you that we have stopped dealing arms. The police are starting to investigate us."

"So that's what he's been up to," said Sano. "Hn. No wonder he's still loaded with cash."

"Apparently, the master only sold ones left in stock. I have been tasked to talk to customers. I have a talent of getting along well with people."

"So Enishi has been to the Rakuninmura also," said Kenshin, looking thoughtful. "Perhaps, he is sane as he claims to be."

"Perhaps. I returned from Kyoto -visited my daughter, see- and he was there in the old place. Hung around for a while. Then decided to go back to business and asked me to be his partner. Said he has poor people skills and he could use mine. I wasn't busy or something so I agreed."

"I see." Kenshin probed him warily. "So you left that place. Does that mean you have resolved your doubts or whatever it was that anchored you to that waste land? Or perhaps, you used that sweet tongue of yours to resurrect a madman."

"Perhaps." The old man smiled sagely, missing the implication of Kenshin's words or else ignoring it. "It's an eternal process, -healing, I mean- isn't it? I have had my time. Even with that scars are left behind. Can't be helped now, can it?"

Kenshin sighed. "You're right. I almost thought-" He shook his head. "Pathetic."

"We all are at one point, points, rather, in our lives. Give yourself time."

"He had enough of it, if you ask me," muttered Sano. "Especially concerning a certain little missy."

"I really wasn't prepared to do it yet, Sano," Kenshin said miserably. "Obviously, I wasn't. I haven't resolved those things yet."

"Young man," remarked Oibore. "Maybe you needed to be pushed just a little bit for you to start the resolving of those things. Wasn't that what you intended, Sagara-san?"

"Sagara-san?" repeated Kenshin. "So he did tell you. I thought so."

"Yes." Oibore smiled slightly. "Not the slightest detail was missed, I believe."

Sano snorted. "Not just a little push, old mister," he said. "He needs to have his face shoved into the ass of truth." He paused to check his listeners, then smirked. "Made the line up myself."

"Ha-ha," said Kenshin sarcastically.

"Anyway, it was an ingenious plan, wasn't it?" he boasted, letting a death glare dart towards his friend. "It's just the players who were rotten to the core."

"Sano, I believe Kaoru-dono would agree with me on this. It's our life. You can't force us to do things we're not ready to do. There are things about me, about both of us, that you don't know about, things aren't readily noticeable nor understandable. You can't insist on what you guys think because more often than not, you don't perceive the complete picture."

"Pal, you can't smooth talk through this one. You told us you love her and you wanted her. And I'm not telling you to force yourself on her! I just want you guys to quit playing games, talk and clear things up with each other, okay? Dammit, you're so hard-headed. "

"But- There are reasons! I simply cannot… Why am I trying to explain to you anyway?"

"It is not us who needs to hear such explanations," said Oibore quietly.

Kenshin sighed plaintively. "I don't know what to do. Even if I do find her, I wouldn't know what to say. Even with Enishi's deadline-"

"That's only a few hours from now," said Sano ever so helpfully.

"Even without it, though, I'd still want to fix the mess."

They drifted into silence. Kenshin felt hopelessly helpless. They failed to obtain the sakabatou; Enishi was obviously keeping it under lock and key somewhere else. They still haven't found Kaoru and there they were sitting on a patch of grass on enemy territory without protection as if it was a lazy Sunday morning and they were having a cute little picnic. Time was running and it certainly had no plans on waiting for indolent fools.

"Look at these little ones," said Oibore quite suddenly, picking up a handful of wild flowers. "Pretty, aren't they?"

The other two stared at it mutely.

"Faint in smell, and rather unnoticeable. Here today, gone tomorrow. A life is so short and insignificant when placed against the enormity and complexity of the cosmos. It's almost a wonder why they persist to live at all, ne?"

"Old man, they're flowers," said Sano dully.

Kenshin, on the other hand, continued to stare, fixated by the old man's words. "Persist to exist…" he echoed.

"Yes. At the very first moment of their existence, they already have to compete for nourishment: air, water, sunlight, earth, all that until they meet a hard end. And we don't even notice. Yet they live on. And on, and on again; the dead fertilize the ground for more plants to grow in."

"Old man, you're creeping me out," muttered Sano.

"I wonder if we humans are like that, too… We're impermanent. There's no guarantee our aspirations ever come true. Most of us will probably die unknown and unremembered. Despite it all, we still strive to live our lives. Others make sacrifices so that others have nourishment. Just like these little plants. Curious, ne?"

"Curious," Kenshin repeated, staring at him. There was a peculiar change in his expression; it was as if a curtain was drawn in him. He stood up. Sano, who was sitting some distance away due to his unpleasant odor, jumped to his feet as well, very much surprised.

"We're going?" he said in disbelief.

"Yes. Oibore-dono. We better get going now."

The old man didn't seem in the least startled. "Aa. Gambatte yo."

Sano didn't follow when Kenshin started walking away. "Wait," he said, turning a very confused look at the old man. "I don't get it."

"Nani?" Now, Oibore was startled. "Don't get what?"

"The inspirational talk whatever. I don't get the connection with Jou-chan and the love and marriage thing."

Oibore blinked, a bemused expression on his face. "I was merely commenting on the weeds, Sagara-san. I only got carried away by the ramblings."

"Well, obviously he heard something. I mean, it's like he just woke up and- and…. Well, what did you say that affected him that way?"

Oibore hesitated before answering; he seemed very baffled indeed. "Who knows? I certainly don't you ask him."

Sano facefaulted. "Okay. Whatever."

"Sano?" called Kenshin.

"Coming, coming."

"Oibore-dono. About the sunset deadline, could you-?"

The old man laughed. "I wouldn't push my luck that far. I generally don't pry for secrets but I heard my master is quite stubborn. As for your sword, son, don't count on getting it from him now. He didn't bring it with him this morning and nothing would convince him to leave his shop. Nothing."

"Thanks for your help anyway. We are sorry for intruding."

"No problem. It's all right."

"Sano." Kenshin called once more before he sprinted off.

Sanosuke shook his head. "Weird," he said. Then he followed.

Oibore watched them vanish from sight, sighing.

"Ah, daughter," he murmured under his breath. "We both tried out best, it seems. Perhaps, it is your Ototochan who would succeed…"

<hr>

"Well?"

Megumi has finally convinced the whole gang of boys that her patient was fine and that they can leave the girl in her competent hands. Now, she went back to her patient to extract details.

"So what was it this time?"

Kaoru ruefully looked away from her bandaged arm and torso. "For a moment, I was glad you're the one here instead of Gensai-sensei. I thought you wouldn't ask questions. Why are you here anyway?"

"For vacation, if you don't mind, tanuki."

"You didn't even send us word so we could have welcomed you properly at least."

"I did. So that Rooster didn't even spread the word, eh?" For a moment, the doctor's eyes smoldered.

"He didn't say anything to us."

Megumi sat down in front of her. "All right, no more dodging. You're the most ferocious tanuki in existence. And you beaten and injured by a common student. Have you gotten so cocky that you dropped your guard against him?"

"I was… distracted."

"Very fierce, both of you. The boy's wrist was sprained"

"I'm glad it's no worse than that."

"Glad?" snorted Megumi. "A sprain can be worse than broken bones."

"I didn't mean to hurt him." Kaoru had obviously no plans in engaging on a nice round of bickering as a welcome ritual despite Megumi's efforts to rile her up.

"Sounds hard to believe. Had either of you connected with somewhere else, one of you would have been injured much worse than that. What happened to your so-called sword of life?"

Kaoru merely sighed tiredly. "Megumi-san. Not now please."

"Like I asked a while ago." Megumi prompted her firmly. "What is it this time?"

"I- I fought with Kenshin."

"So what else is new? You're so violent and abusive… such roughness. Tsk, tsk."

"I called him a parasite. Among others."

"Kaoru!"

"I know!" she wailed wretchedly. "I didn't mean to! I was so mad that horrible things just poured out of my mouth and…. And…"

Megumi stared at her almost coldly. "What made you that mad?"

"He proposed last night."

"Really?" Megumi was astounded. The rooster succeeded? she thought.

"I refused."

"Excuse me?!" Megumi was stunned stupid. "What happened to the tanuki fantasizing about becoming Mrs. Himura?"

"You're right. Just a fantasy…"

"What the-? I thought you love him."

Kaoru hesitated, biting her lower lip. "I do but…"

"He doesn't? Kaoru, I think that blow in the head rattled you're brain."

"He said he asked me because it's improper for us to be living together. I mean, he thinks of it as an obligation, not because he wants to. I mean, really wanted to. I don't want to marry a person who doesn't want to marry me. Who would?"

"I thought you would!" exclaimed Megumi in mock horror. " How can you be such a weak player? You let Ken-san slip out of your fingers?" She rolled her eyes. "Duh, Kaoru. Think about it. Why would he marry just for something that… that insignificant after all he's been through?"

Kaoru ignored her sarcasm. "It was obvious Sano pushed him to it." Her voice was trembling with force of suppressed tears striving to get out. "He didn't want to, really. He doesn't love me and fine I accept that. I don't blame him. And I'll get used to it. But what if he leaves because of what I said?" The dam was no longer sufficient to stop the flow; hot liquid fell from her eyes. "I don't think I can stand that."

Megumi furrowed her brows at her as if she was some complicated case to be handled. That Sano, she growled inwardly, her very spirit practically simmering in her rage. I should have known he'll mess this up! Peking duck sounds good. Since he's such a big chicken anyway, he'll do as substitute. I'll skewer that insufferableand that Ken-san! Stupid men. Even so, as Kaoru herself said, crying only encourages Takani Megumi. On an actually strong person behaving like jelly, she used the usual method, tried and tested.

"What were you expecting, tanuki?" she finally said, wearing an extra conceited sneer. "That he'd announce to the whole world what he feels about you? Haven't you ever considered what he's been through? I never thought you sensitive or responsive towards other people's feelings, you are after all a common peasant, but I did think you cared enough for him to be a little less unselfish than usual. You could have been a little more considerate. That baka Ken-san. Hmph. Falling for such an immature weakling." The sneer turned into a glare. "Are you blind? After all that has happened-"

"There's really no point in going through with this!" cried Kaoru. "Living in a fantasy world is plain stupid. Megumi -san, you managed to survive alone because you are practical. You're right. I'm immature and selfish. I'm too idealistic and naïve. But I'm learning. I'm growing up."

"You don't survive just on plain practicality," murmured Megumi, looking away from her. "Without hope, you're as good as dead. Dreams are sustenance."

"And it can be addictive. I'm content with what we had before this mess. We were like a family then. I just want things to go back to the way they were."

No words could describe Megumi's disbelief and exasperation. Still, her tongue was a whip and she used it with expertise rivaling even that of her skill in healing. "Never had I foreseen this," she said acerbically. "My fierce little rival cowering to me in hopelessness." She gave Kaoru a haughty stare from head to foot. "I should have known what I asked for you then was beyond your capabilities. I never should have conceded to a pathetic little weakling like you."

Kaoru's restrain finally snapped. "Fine," she said sharply." Why don't you quit flirting with that good-for-nothing fowl and go for the big fish, fox? Since, you much more like her anyway, maybe that will work-"

She was silenced by a dangerous flash in the doctor's eyes. Megumi's hands fisted at her kimono, quivering in her anger.

"Don't," she said tightly, her voice harsh as she struggled to leash her ire. "Don't you ever speak of my feelings for Sanosuke like that. For your information, we didn't just wake up one day and decided to play Let's Pretend. We both had things to resolve within ourselves so that our relationship would workout. It's not baseless and it's not a game. We worked for it because we didn't want to lose something ours, something we deserved just because we can't face ourselves."

There was an awkward quietness. You can almost feel the tension in the air, the blaze of Megumi's indignation, and Kaoru's contrite desire to eat her words. She broke the silence when she released a long jagged breath.

"I'm sorry, Megumi-san," she murmured sincerely. "I shouldn't have…. My big mouth and short temper did it again. I'm really sorry."

Another pause ensued wherein neither spoke.

"What do you mean?" spoke up Megumi shortly. "About her being more like me."

"Well, you're refined. " A sniffle escape from Kaoru. "And prettier, smarter, better… You're more of the wife material type and…"

"Who? Yukishiro Tomoe?"

"Yes. Tomoe-san. You're right. I'm not her substitute. I can't be. I'm too grossly different from her. I'll never measure up."

Megumi's jaw practically slumped on the floor in astonishment. She never realized how long her words could be harbored in someone's thoughts and twist in that someone's heart. Still… "Kaoru, you idiot! I knew you'd misinterpret that. I didn't mean it that way, you baka! Of course, you're not her substitute. You're a different person. You're Kaoru!"

She looked back at her friend's puzzled face in dismay. How can she make her comprehend?

"Do you remember?" she finally said. "What you said about Kyosato, -Tomoe's fiancé- and Ken-san? That when Tomoe had to choose between them, she couldn't even compare them?"

"That's not-"

"Fine, this wasn't what you meant then. But it could also mean this. You said you think she's practical and I think so, too. Kyosato first, then Ken-san. They came at different times, different circumstances but she loved them both. But Kyosato was in her past then. It was pointless to choose because there was no need for it. Loving one won't affect the anything at all- that is if you ignore the desire for revenge. Ken-san didn't displace Kyosato, just like you didn't displace Tomoe."

"But it's diff-"

"I know that! Tomoe's confusion lies with the fact that her love for Kyosato demanded that she extract revenge while her love for Kenshin demanded that she forgive. But that isn't the issue here."

"But how can he?" said Kaoru quietly, her tone revealing some semblance of the pain she desperately tried to hide. "I'm nowhere near what he used to have. Why would he want someone less when he had the best?"

"Best? Have you really been listening to me? Or if it comes to that, have you really listened at all when Ken-san told his story? I never though she was the best for him. I didn't think you're the best for him either. But who cares about what I think? Obviously, Ken-san or fate itself thought Tomoe best for him then. And you, You're the best for him now. Kaoru-chan, I told you before there's something special between the two of you. And I told you that, what, a year ago? Now, it's much more but neither of you wants to acknowledge it, which is what infuriates us."

"You? The conspirators. Of course." For a moment, there was a glint of the tanuki that surfaced from her melancholic depths of her. "Well, whatever it is, it's not what you think. Fine, he probably regards me as more than a friend, but not like that. A sister, perhaps? That's how our family is anyway, siblings. Sanosuke and Yahiko are like my brothers. And I really am content with that. I can accept that. I want him to stay because he belongs here. This is his home."

Megumi stared at her for quite some time, at lost for once for words of counsel or even her customary quips. Finally, she sighed, shaking her head in frustration.

"Tanuki no baka," she scolded, far gentler than the usual Megitsune-style admonishment. "Have you ever even spoken to him? You're afraid, aren't you? Expected as much."

"It's not as if I got the chance," retorted Kaoru. "Well, I could have had one . But my emotions were running too high. And I wouldn't be able to thing clearly. It would have become worse. " She pouted a little. "Fine. I admit it. I' am scared."

"Well, Kaoru-chan. You ask for advice. I can't tell you to rape the guy coz that's a little too extreme. Just talk to him. That simple. Even if things do settle down again to its usual state, you'll be miserable forever. It's like having a sword above you hanging by a thread everyday and you have no idea when it'll fall. Won't it be better if you just cut the thread, undertake necessary precautions and therefore elude its fall? Are you getting my analogy?"

"Yeah. Thank you very much, Megumi-san. But what if doesn't come home?"

Megumi wore a scornful scowl. "Oh you of little faith!"

Kaoru smiled sadly, too tired to argue. "Well, he did say he won't go. Or I thought he did. Now I'm confused about what he did and didn't say. I don't know anymore."

"Well, then go and see."

Kaoru looked up at Megumi in surprise. You're letting me go?"

"Nobody's keeping you. You'll just be on the way and I have work to do."

"I'm going home then." The girl stood up. "But Megumi-san-"

The doctor waved her away impatiently. "He's home. You know Ken-san won't let a day pass without doing his laundry. He was just afraid of you last night so he went out with- Wait a minute." A dark grimace marred the china-like face. "Sano went out with him last night?"

"Yes." A slow grin crept on Kaoru's face in spite of herself.

Megumi smiled evilly. "I think I'll drop by the dojo later, Kaoru-chan."

"Anytime. Revenge is sweet."

<hr>

Yoshihiko was preparing for a siesta when a loud commotion disturbed his repose. Clambering to his feet, he trotted outside to look over at his neighbor's. A red-headed man was banging on the door. Beside him was a panting lanky fellow, tall as the other was short. Vaguely, he recognized them both.

"Oi!" he called. "You won't find anybody there, Himura-san."

Kenshin turned, immediately dashing to him. "Have they gone to the train station?" he asked in urgency. "Since when?"

"Half-past noon or later. They-"

Kenshin interrupted. "Arigatou."

And they were gone, leaving Yoshihiko dumbfounded in his place. Then, he shrugged coolly as he watched the two disappear.

"Oh well. Back to my nap."

<hr>

"Shit, shit, shit, shit. Dammit!"

It was nearly two o'clock. They have run as fast as they could manage but they were still a few blocks away.

"Damn it! Outta the way!" yelled Sano. "We should have just waited here instead of going all the way to that dojo. Hey! Excuse me! Move over!"

Kenshin finally snapped. "Sano, just shut up and run," he ordered. "How was I to know they'd leave early?"

The two of them made of directly towards the platform wherein a train was about to depart. Again they plunged into the ocean of people, swimming through the thickness with the best of their ability.

"Train to Yokohama?" screeched Kenshin, now almost on top of the conductor.

"Yes, sir!" replied the conductor. "Ticket please!"

"Gotta talk to someone." Kenshin dodged him and barged inside. "Sumimasen."

Sano followed him. "Excuse my pal," he told the outraged man. "I'm as unhappy as you are."

Both ploughed into the belly of the dragon. Kenshin found it easy to slip through the tiny spaces between people and luggage blocking the aisle. Meanwhile, Sanosuke has to deal with the folks and stuff displaced. Not that he cared much about what happened to them.

"It's okay. It's cool," he muttered to himself. "It ain't on the move yet. Still safe. Hurry up, Kenshin!"

"Kaoru-dono!" Kenshin called. "Are you here? Maekawa-dono!"

Meanwhile, the noisiest corner of the car they were in suddenly hushed up. The occupants of that area were nudging each other uncomfortably.

"It's Himura-san!" gasped one of the boys.

"Hai," agreed his seatmate. "The sempai's kareshi."

"He is not," protested Hiroshi. "He's just the housekeeper."

"Anyhow, they say he's strong."

"Oh boy," added another. "You're dead."

"I don't really care," said Hiroshi, slowly running out of bravado as he sank furtherer behind his larger companions.

"But he won't know which one of us did it."

"Oi, Hitokiri Hakusai," whispered one furiously. "Go apologize. This is your fault."

"Okay, okay," murmured Hiroshi in annoyance.

Maekawa-sensei, on the other hand, finally noticed the harried swordsman and so hailed him.

"Himura-san!" he called, surprised and puzzled. "What brings you here? Are you joining our excursion?"

"Maekawa-dono!" said Kenshin. "Is Kaoru-"

He was abruptly cut off when a young man came blundering from the corner and set himself before Kenshin defiantly. The rurouni's eyes glittered in mild irritation. His visage clearly commanded that his way be cleared. Hiroshi's plans seemed to include otherwise …

"Gomen nasai, Himura-san!" he wailed desperately, latching on his legs. "I didn't mean to! I mean, it just happened. I thought I was gonna die. She's so good and then the senpai suddenly attacked me. She was so scary. And I didn't know it would connect! I didn't mean to hit her! Please don't hurt me…"

"What?!" demanded Kenshin, lifting the poor boy by his shoulders. "What happened to Kaoru-dono?!"

A pair of scared peepers crept timidly up to meet Kenshin's, blazing in fear and panic. Hiroshi practically melted to putt in his steel grip, leaving no answer.

"Maekawa-dono?!"

"Oh, she's fine," assured the sensei. "First loss against Hiroshi-kun here but it was a fine fight, siree. Superb! She got injured though and we left her at the Oguni clinic."

"Arigatou gozaimasu."

And again, the tiny man in pink was off running with the rooster on his heels. Finally, after the conductor scolded the two men who caused the delay, the train embarked for it's destination. The boys sat back and relaxed, though Maekawa was a little bemused by the occurrence.

"Oi, Hiroshi-kun. You can get up now."

<HR>

Kenshin again halted. His frown deepened as he stood amidst the crowd in silence. Sano came stumbling from behind, panting heavily. They were again on the packed street they passed through much earlier, and here another familiar sight met them.

He was just standing there, barring their path. He wasn't on a fighting stance and was rather comical in his attire, yet his huge figure, which loomed before them, was more than threatening. Even under the guise of a jolly merchant, the very familiar eyes remained cold and unreadable, a sharp warning for those who were wise enough to heed.

"You…"

Well, I think I should stop there. This chapter has gone long enough. You agree of course… or not.

JLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJ

Who is this suspicious character?

Is this Enishi, who has broken his word and has come to slay them in broad daylight?

Or worse, has he seized Kaoru and has come to announce the accomplishment of Jinchuu?

JLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJJLJLJ

Stay tuned! ^.^ I'm hurrying as fast as I can!

Sat 21:09:37 122901