Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Where I Blong ❯ Him ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters in Rurouni Kenshin.
 
 
I would go to see him everyday in his office. Just to see how he was doing, what he was doing. I just wanted to get to know him better. The marriage was unexpected for both of us, but it seems we have come a long way, from strangers to friends, with our pasts as our secrets.
 
Every day in the office, I would watch him. I always learned something new about him there. The first thing I always noticed was his eyes, always glowing topaz, like a wolf ready to pounce on its prey. I never approved of those eyes; they always seemed to be deceiving me. I knew they held his past whenever he looked at me. The way they seemed to capture every action in the room, from the amount of breaths I took in a minute to the number of people in the hallway. His ears to seem to hear everything, from my heart beat to the whisper of the trees or the wood creaking. There was something very mysterious about him. His nose was very sharp, his eyes very narrow, his lips always pursed, his hair always hiding the mystery of his eyes. His figure was tall and narrow, showing his muscled body was able for just about anything, ready to take on any challenge. His presence seemed to stir fear but to me it was simply uncomfortable, I constantly felt watched, hunted was a better word for it. His hair appeared smooth as silk but at the same time was set in a professional manner as if to hide his repulsiveness. His eyes. First of all, the color was unnatural, a steady flaming yellow that, like I said, seemed to notice every motion, his gaze made me feel disgusting. They never held a look of fear or self-denial. His fingers are calloused from its looks, which girl wants to be touched by that, seem to have been worn from years of hard work although I can't see what could have made his hands look so. His lips, always pursed in a straight line, didn't talk much but when they moved words that could only seem intelligent came from his forsaken mouth. A smooth talker from his words, yet behind those words I saw deceit. All his smile towards victims and comrades were fake. His face was so angular, from his straightness of his nose and lips to the slant of his eyes, cheeks and chin. The funny thing is that his ears seem to protrude outward like a monkey.
 
 
I can tell he is now comfortable with my presence. When I walk into a room, making no audible sound, he would turn to me acknowledging my presence. We began to care about each other like friends, getting to know each other slowly.
 
The first few months of our marriage went by silently; nothing occurring that was out of the ordinary. Until the day, he told me…
 
Take care of yourself today; don't let anyone in that you don't know. Do you understand Tokio?
 
Of course, I simply nodded, bowed then said good-bye as he left to what seemed a normal day of work.
 
I had finished cleaning the house and I even got a head start on dinner, his favorite chicken rice soup. I remembered the first time I made it.
 
—Flash Back—
 
Here Fujita-san, it is a family recipe, I hope you enjoy it.
 
I watched, as he tasted it, sipping slowly. I couldn't help but notice at that point how soft his lips looked, and of course I wondered what it would be like to kiss him. I shook the thought away knowing our relationship was far from kissing, as I saw him look up as if to catch my attention to say something.
 
This…it reminds me of home...of you.
 
His words took my breath away. I could not believe those words came out his mouth. It was the first time he had every said something genuine let alone a compliment, I bowed thanking him, muttering excuses, at the same time realizing that I was blushing. A silly little compliment was making me blush. Realizing this made me blush even more, so I excused myself from the room.
 
Later that night I had a nightmare. The Shinsengumi were taking over my hometown, burning barns, ransacking houses. I was a young girl back then but the memories that night were so clear. I remembered the screams of pain and agony. I woke up sweating; sitting up abruptly on the futon we shared. The minute I sat up, he was awake and looking at me with an expression that seemed to hold curiosity and worry at the same time.
 
I gave him a weak smile, my best at the time.
 
I'm alright, I'm sorry if I awoke you, you can go back and rest again.
He didn't look one bit convinced. Just simply stared as if trying to figure out what had woken me up.
I am fine, I promise you. You do not need to worry.
Worry? When ever did he worry about anything, let alone me?
Why are you lying to me Tokio?
The few words he spoke sent a chill down my spine.
Why?
How do I tell him I didn't want him to worry? He was usually emotionless. Never a smile or a frown, his lips always set in a straight line. And now he was asking me why?
I had a nightmare; I was remembering the night the Shinsengumi took over my village. I'm fine, I assure you I'm fine, I was simply a bit shaken, forgive me for waking you.
His face tonight was a burst of surprises. He looked at me in shock, then in compassion.
I don't even know why I felt compelled to tell him why I had woken up.
The reason I was worried was because you were tossing and turning for a while and right before you woke up you were talking aloud. Think about something else. It may help you sleep better.
His words shook me with fear. I had woken him up, prevented him from sleeping. Did he want me to sleep so he could rest in peace? I looked at his back towards me and realized how alone I was. Unconsciously I reached for his back, wrapped my arms around his narrow waist, and laid my forehead against his muscled back. I felt him tense the second I touched him but I didn't care. I got scared when he turned around. Facing towards me I hesitantly looked to his face; found his eyes closed, breathing even with one arm tucked beneath his head. I looked for the other arm and felt it against mine. I shifted myself to get closer to him; I mean what was the harm if he was asleep? I closed my eyes and thought of my future with Fujita Goro. It didn't really seem promising, we would never become close but at the same time we shared a bond of friendship like no other. My thoughts for our future were interrupted when I felt an arm drape itself across my waist, pulling me closer. Instantly I opened my eyes and found myself staring into those same closed eyes, but this time I knew he was awake. I heard him murmur for me to go to sleep, something about him protecting me before I drifted into oblivion.
 
The next morning I woke up and he was nowhere to be seen. It was as if it was all a dream. Until he came home and asked me
How did you sleep? Did you have any more nightmares?
It wasn't a dream!!! But, where had my stony-faced Fujita go?
 
Maybe, I thought, just maybe our future wasn't going to be as bland as I thought it would be.
 
—End of Flash Back—