Rurouni Kenshin Fan Fiction ❯ Where I Blong ❯ Her ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Chapter 2
 
Disclaimer: I don't own any of the characters in Rurouni Kenshin or any of the songs.
 
The same day Fujita had asked me to be careful; I heard a hard knock on the door. Unexpected of course because Fujita never had guests come o our house. I never had any guests either because the women would always want to gossip and Fujita just did not seem like a man to be gossiped about. His secrets were my secrets.
 
The knock on the door became harder.
`Just a minute, I'm coming'
All of a sudden, I heard the door smash and a series of heavy footsteps. My mind instantly raced, my heart beat faster as fear consumed me.
`You there,' a voice called to me. As I turned around I saw the face of a man who has no mercy, `Get that women. Damnit where's the wolf, he was supposed to be here'
He barked commands to his fellow… what to call them?
 
Burglars!?
 
However, they didn't want to steal anything … therefore, they were…?
 
Kidnappers....
 
I realized this as soon as a man began to come toward me. I ran, stumbling down our narrow hallway, toward the closet where Fujita kept a few weapons. I was so close that I could almost grab the door handle when I felt arms slip around my waist, holding me back. The last thing I remember was a cloth of some sort shoved in my face and a sack going over my head.
 
—————————&# 8212;—————————— ——————————̵ 2;—————
 
I had asked her to be careful only because I knew ruthless people were after my life. If they came to our house and found a woman, what would they do to her? Surely, they would not leave her alone, probably torture her, and possibly rape her. Moreover, how that would look on me, a man knowingly left his wife home to danger.
 
She used to come to visit me every night. She would watch me with this eyes that seemed to want t pierce right through me. It seemed that she despised me with almost everything she had. Dark silky hair framed her small figure. She is the kind of woman who seems very vulnerable but in fact, she's quite strong. I have watched her in the house; she makes sure she knows exactly what is going on, constantly eyeing me from behind her bangs. Her pale blue kimono with a white sash was a constant reminder of the Shinsengumi. The night when she told me that we had taken over her village, I was surprised she still had nightmares about it and surprised at the fact that it was my people who brought her to such a sad state.
 
 
—Flash Back—
 
She had been moaning in pain in her sleep constantly that night. It was not rare for me not to be asleep, any slight movement or sound awoke me. However, this is the first night Tokio was the reason I was awake. She tossed and turned a few times and then cried out for some one, a name I couldn't make out. All of a sudden, she bolted up into a sitting position. I could hear that her breathing was uneven as I sat up and looked toward her. The moonlight highlighted her pale figure. I saw tears and fear in her eyes, her body was trembling like a child about to be scolded, and her hands were balled into fists in her lap. I couldn't understand what had caused her so much fear, I gazed at her in curiosity and in a way worried. Had someone came to the house and hurt her, searching for me?
 
I'm alright, I'm sorry if I awoke you, you can go back and rest again.
I didn't believe a single word that came from her mouth. She had woken up with fear written all over her face and she's telling me she's fine.
I am fine, I promise you. You do not need to worry.
Persistent is she. Again, I didn't fall for her attempts to comfort me. The only thing I could ask her was why.
Why are you lying to me Tokio?
Her eyes widened as I asked her this. Hoping to get an answer, I repeated my question.
Why?
She looked hesitant to trust me. I should have known she would not trust me this much. It was probably personal. Then again, I thought we had finally been able to start talking to each other more, making us more like friends than people who shared the same house.
 
Especially since, she had made me that soup. I knew it was her favorite, I often smelled it when I went to my office in the house. But she never offered it to me, when she did I guess I was grateful that she shared something precious to me. We would not be strangers any more.
I had a nightmare; I was remembering the night the Shinsengumi took over my village. I'm fine, I assure you I'm fine, I was simply a bit shaken, forgive me for waking you.
Her answer surprised me as I felt me gaze intensify upon her as my eyes widened. She had been hurt during the revolution, of course I suppose recalling those days from her pint of view must have been horrifying, all the killing and burnings. So to put her to rest I told her why I was questioning her.
The reason I was worried was because you were tossing and turning for a while and right before you woke up you were talking aloud. Think about something else. It may help you sleep better.
Maybe I spoke to soon, my words sounded of compassion. What in the seven hells was this woman doing to me. I turned around, facing my back towards her, hoping that she would fall asleep. All of a sudden, I felt frail arms snake themselves around my waist. I realized they were Tokio's as I felt her rest her forehead against my back. Never in my life had I expected a woman, Tokio for that matter, to embrace me. Embrace me? This woman, she, was embracing me. I reluctantly turned myself around to face her. As soon as I did, she came closer resting her self against my chest. This woman was pulling surprises on my one after another. Her warm body, dressed in a simply yukata, was plastered against my body. I looked at the woman before me, she trusted me, finally trusted me. Since when did I want her trust? I knew that I definitely wasn't sane when I wrapped one of my arms around her waist, holding her to me. I felt her gaze upon my closed eyes and I murmured for her to get some sleep.
 
The next morning I left for work, making sure not to wake her up since she had a restless night. I came home and asked her if she had slept well, after all I had taken the care to make sure I didn't wake her.
 
Yes, I did, thank you for last night.
 
Maybe our friendship would become closer. I knew now, that this woman was just like battousai's woman. I would have to protect her because now I cared. Of course, only I would know that.
 
We definitely were not strangers anymore.
 
Definitely.
 
—End of Flash Back—