Sage Frontier Fan Fiction ❯ A Tale of two Fakes! ❯ New Mission: Catch Nomad!! ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

DISCLAIMER: I don't own SaGa Frontier. SquareSoft does.
 
“Rouge, stop it! I mean it!” Blue hissed as he ran down the halls. Rouge was already far ahead, and Blue was sure that he'd blow something up before he could be stopped. But then, Blue saw a path that cut across towards the elevators. He could ambush Rouge there. Grinning, Blue slid into the passage and dashed down, coming out just in time to slam into his twin brother. The two fell to the floor, but Blue was the first to recover.
 
“I can't believe you're that immature, Rouge,” Blue scolded, and took the gun, “Give me that NOW!” Rouge sat up, a sour frown planted on his face. His crossed his arms.
 
“Geez! Make one lousy mistake and EVERYONE hates you for it!” Rouge exclaimed, in a complaining manner. Blue rolled his eyes as he put the gun in his holster.
 
“That's because you nearly blew this place apart, Rouge. Now get up before we're caught! If Fuse fires us, and trust me when I say he probably will, then we'll have to pay for the damage with cash,” Blue explained calmly, getting off the floor and turning around to head back to their office, “Honestly, you'd think this kind of thing mattered to you.” Rouge blinked, and ran ahead to keep up with his agitated twin.
 
“It does matter to me,” Rouge said quietly, as they walked briskly down the blue-lit hall.
 
“Well, you definitely have a weird way of showing it. Now, you still need to clear off your desk. I'll get online and see what we're to do first, okay?” Blue replied, as they walked into their office. Blue went over to his rather clean desk and sat down. Rouge looked over at his, which was still a mess. Papers littered the top, and a few small boxes were there, which Rouge guessed held even more useless supplies he'd never use. He shrugged, and just pushed everything off his desk into a big pile next to him. Then he sat down and put his feet on the desk.
 
“All cleaned!” Rouge whistled. Blue, who booted up his computer, simply looked over and saw the mess on the floor.
 
“That's not exactly “all cleaned,” Rouge...” Blue sighed, and turned back to his computer.
 
“Hey, there's no crap to keep me from putting my feet up, so it's clean enough for me,” Rouge said simply, and turned to Blue's computer, “So, did you get it hooked up?” Blue rubbed his forehead tiredly, so Rouge knew the answer.
 
“Well, it says we need to choose from two operating firewalls. Whichever one I don't take, you have to use,” Blue replied. Rouge thought about that for a second.
 
“Well, pick what you want. What are the choices?” he asked.
 
“Well, there's Snorton's Antivirus, and McCoffee Security Center,” Blue replied, looking at the computer screen, “Those are the only systems supported by the computers Trinity supplies to us.” Rouge crossed his arms angrily again.
 
“Stupid MicroShit...” Rouge mumbled, and shook his head, “Well, I don't know anything about all of that, so seriously, just take what you want.” Blue snorted, and nodded.
 
“All right. I'm taking McCoffee, then. It's a bit more stable, and I'll need that. Chances are I'll do more work than you will,” Blue said, selecting the second option. Rouge slammed his fists on the table.
 
“What!? That's not fair! You think I'll just goof off all day!?” Rouge yelled, and paced around, “Oh sure! I'm just the immature baby! And because of that, I always get second dibs on everything! It's always Blue, Blue, Blue!” Blue couldn't help but just blink, but he managed to get one sentence out.
 
“You're the one who told me to choose what I wanted,” Blue said, typing on the keyboard and avoiding Rouge's glare. Rouge threw his hands up.
 
“Since when did YOU listen to ME!?” Rouge asked, and slumped into a chair, “Well, it doesn't matter... I might as well boot up that crap they call a program...” Rouge turned on his own computer, and was greeted with a file to fill out his name and position number. He did so, and managed to get the computer running, at least. He looked over at Blue, who was typing again.
 
“So, how the hell do we get our missions?” Rouge asked, looking back frantically at his computer screen. He'd never dealt with a computer before. Luckily, Blue was smarter.
 
“Log onto the Internet,” Blue replied simply, continuing his typing. Rouge nodded, and moved his mouse randomly.
 
“Right... and how do I do that?” Rouge asked, trying to sound cool. A sweatdrop rolled down Blue's head.
 
“Click on the E icon, and you're in,” Blue said, annoyed, “Didn't anyone ever tell you this stuff?” Rouge laughed.
 
“Why!? We're magicians! We need no computers!” Rouge exclaimed proudly.
 
“We need them right now, so stop fooling around and get working,” Blue scolded again, and typed even faster. Rouge muttered something under his breath, and logged into the Internet. He was greeted with yet another form, and filled it out until he reached one question.
 
“Blue? What's `intercourse?'” Rouge asked innocently. Blue actually stopped typing and looked over, worried.
 
“It... um... it's... well... what's the questions?” Blue counter-asked, trying to avoid the subject. Rouge didn't notice, and looked back at his screen.
 
“Have you ever had intercourse with a woman before?” Rouge asked, repeating what he saw on screen.
 
“Just put no,” Blue replied, “It's another way of asking if you've ever had sex before.” Rouge nodded and continued, until the next question caused him to freeze. Then he slammed an Energy Chain into the plant near the door.
 
THIS FORM CALLED ME GAY!” he screamed, and Blue looked up.
 
“What? What are you talking about?” Blue asked, rushing over. Rouge pointed to the question.
 
“It asked if I ever had sex with a guy! It thinks I'm gay!” Rouge fumed, “How can it assume something like that!?” Blue laughed hysterically.
 
“Rouge, it doesn't think you're gay. It HAS to ask that question! It's a security measure of sorts. Besides, the computer doesn't know your gender,” Blue said, walking back to his desk. Rouge, however, still fumed.
 
“But I even put that I was a male! A MALE!” Rouge yelled again, and this time Fuse burst into the room.
 
“What is going on in here!? We're receiving complaints about over-excessive yelling!” Fuse cried, aiming his gun everywhere. Blue laughed again.
 
“Sorry, sir. That's just Rouge,” Blue said.
 
“Your stupid computer called me gay!” Rouge added immediately afterwards. Fuse sighed and looked over at Blue, who shrugged and seemed just as frustrated. Then he looked at the form Rouge was filling out.
 
“It's not calling you gay, Rouge. That's a security measure question. We need to know if you need to be tested for anything before a mission,” Fuse explained, trying to remain calm. But, Rouge just wasn't a good person to be calm with. And his inquiry proved it.
 
“So then why not just ask us? Why put us through thinking the computer callings us gay?” Rouge asked, frowning. Fuse blinked, and clenched his fists silently.
 
“Because there's a chance you'll lie,” Fuse said stiffly, twitching slightly.
 
“But shouldn't you trust us? Why just assume we're liars?” Rouge asked again, “Is it because you're hardened from having to arrest so many people?” Fuse blew it again.
 
JUST GET BACK TO YOUR $#%&!! WORK!” Fuse roared, storming out and slamming the door, thusly creating more noise than either Blue or Rouge had. Rouge shrugged and filled out the rest of his form as Blue walked over to the windows to make sure they hadn't splintered anywhere from the force of Fuse.
 
“Okay, I'm done. Now what?” Rouge asked, when Blue sat down after carefully inspecting the windows. Blue sighed as he leaned back a bit.
 
“You should get an email about your mission. Click on the mailbox on your computer,” Blue replied, pushing his chair forward and working again. Rouge clicked the icon and, low and behold, received his email straight from the boss. He read it, and then read it again. Surprisingly, he understood his orders, which were to look up a profile on a known criminal called Nomad.
 
“Uh oh...” Rouge said out loud, though he didn't really mean to talk to Blue, “Nomad's at it again... I thought Tanzer swallowed her.” Blue looked up from his work.
 
“She probably escaped when you received the Vitality Rune,” Blue replied, and let out a soft chuckle, “Or maybe Tanzer spit her up. Anyway, what's she up to now?” Rouge, who'd been browsing on Moogle, huffed.
 
“Same old. Shoplifting, pickpocketing, and outright theft in peoples' homes,” Rouge answered, frowning skeptically, “She's fast, too. She's only been out for three weeks and she's already hit 30 houses in Shrike, two stores in Manhattan, and just recently made a breakthrough in the Trinity office.” He fiddled around on the computer again, and added, “Apparently she's on a plane to a really out-of-state town too.” Blue looked around.
 
“Think we should tell Fuse about this?” he asked, but Rouge shook his head.
 
“Nah. Not until I figure out where she's headed so we can ambush her,” Rouge replied, until the door burst opened quickly, and in rushed a rather pale young lady.
 
“Officer Blue, this is urgent!” she cried, leaning against the door, “There has been a major theft in Rootville! Fuse asked that you and Officer Rouge meet him in the quad ASAP!” With that, the girl left. Blue leapt out of his seat, and Rouge followed as he dashed out of the room and down the hall towards the stairs.
 
“Looks like we found where she is, eh?” Rouge asked, as Blue practically ripped the door off its hinges. They ran in together.
 
“Sure looks like it. Jump!” Blue exclaimed, and jumped off the banister, landing five stories below. Rouge nodded and jumped as well, landing next to Blue. He opened the door and they rushed out towards the quad, where Fuse was waiting nervously.
 
“Sir! Blue and Rouge reporting for duty, sir!” Blue panted as he and Rouge came to a stop. Fuse looked over and saluted, but didn't smile.
 
“Excellent timing, boys,” Fuse said, leading them into the small garage and towards a jet, “It seems that I gave you your assignment in time, Rouge. Nomad just struck the artisan's house in Rootville, and we're guessing her next target is Orlouge's castle.” Blue looked over at Fuse as Rouge hopped into the jet.
 
“But who reported the crime? Was it the artisan?” he asked. Fuse shook his head.
 
“No, it was Lady Asellus. She and Princess Lion saw the whole thing, and they're preparing a trap to contain Nomad until we arrive,” Fuse explained, gesturing for Blue to get into the jet and following immediately afterwards, “Normally, I wouldn't take rookies with me, but I trust you, Blue, and Rouge's Rune magic will help us tremendously.” Blue nodded as he sat down next to Rouge and strapped himself in. Fuse took the pilot's seat and turned on the ignition. The jet made a soft rumble, and then it sped out of the quad and soared into the air. Rouge held onto Blue's arm to avoid being thrown into the back.
 
“Geez! Can't you drive a little slower!?” Rouge called, and Fuse looked into the back mirror. He smiled.
 
“Sorry. Protocols, you see. We must be at the scene of the crime as soon as possible!” Fuse called back, and laughed. Rouge slumped back into his chair and crossed his arms.
 
“Isn't there a rule against showing up to a crime scene when you're dead? Or killing fellow members?” Rouge muttered under his breath. Then he leaned towards a window, “I'm gonna catch some Zs. Wake me when we get there, bro.” Blue nodded, and took out a book to read as Fuse drove across the country. Rouge woke up a few hours later to find that the plane had landed, and no one was inside, save for himself. He stretched out and climbed out of his seat.
 
“Blue? Where are you?” Rouge called, looking around the plane for his brother, “What's going on?” After no results within five minutes, Rouge guessed Blue was outside. He walked towards the door, opened it, and jumped down. He saw now that they weren't anywhere near Facinaturu. In fact, they seemed to be thousands of miles from anywhere! Rouge found Blue and Fuse up ahead. Blue was sitting down, and Fuse was furiously screaming into his radio. Rouge walked over.
 
“Dude, why didn't you wake me up?” Rouge asked, sitting next to Blue, “And where are we, anyway? This doesn't look like Facinaturu.” Blue glanced at Rouge sadly.
 
“I'm not sure where we are... Fuse is trying to call HQ, but he's having about as much luck as we would. He's worried that Tanzer swallowed us.” Blue explained. Rouge looked up, trying to think this through.
 
“But I thought Tanzer died when I took the Vitality Rune. What gives?” Rouge asked.
 
“I guess Tanzer didn't rely on the rune to stay alive. I'd guess he swallowed it up along with everything else, and just didn't realize what it was,” Blue replied, looking into a vile, purple lake of water, “I just hope we can catch Nomad...” Fuse blew up again and threw his radio into the water, watching it dissolve into a murky goo. Then he walked in front of Blue and Rouge, a deep frown planted on his face.
 
“Well, this isn't good. I can't reach HQ, and there's no response from Lady Asellus, either,” Fuse said bitterly, “Only two options to conclude this. Either we ended up so far out that no one can reach us, or Tanzer ate us.” Blue took a better look around. Now that he thought about it, it didn't look like Tanzer's insides. In fact, it didn't even smell like Tanzer, either. Plus, there were no beating organs or veins to indicate being eaten. Blue then looking into the water. It was purple, but he could still see the bottom. Rocks and sand littered the sea floor.
 
“We're still outside,” Blue finally said, “We have a chance.” Fuse looked over at him grimly, took out a cigar, and lit it.
 
“Yeah, but not much of one. The jet's outta fuel, and even then, the left wing's crushed. What else do you have, kid?” Fuse asked, taking a heavy puff of smoke. Rouge jumped up.
 
“Our Region Maps! We can simply warp to Facinaturu!” Rouge exclaimed, but Blue shook his head.
 
“Neither us of have been to Facinaturu, so it won't work,” Blue said glumly, “And even if we warp to Koorong, we still don't have money for plane fares to Facinaturu.” Rouge settled down and looked at Fuse, confused.
 
“But didn't you bring any money, boss?” he asked, blinking twice. Fuse took another puff of smoke and waved indifferently.
 
“We're on an urgent mission. I didn't think currency was needed,” he said apathetically. Rouge hung his head as a large drop of sweat rolled down it.
 
“Wow, what an incredibly stupid assumption on your part. Doesn't this crap ever occur to you?” Rouge muttered, narrowing his eyes. Blue smiled nervously, deciding it best to not interfere. Fuse exhaled more smoke and shook his head.
 
“Nope,” he said simply, “In all my years as a cop, this NEVER occurred to me.” Rouge twitched at the tone of carelessness in Fuse and was ready to rip his own hair out, but he knew better than to kill his boss. Besides, Blue happened to be there too. Instead, Rouge slumped onto the ground again.
 
“So, what do we do until someone finds us?” he asked, as Blue redid his ponytail. Fuse put out his cigar and threw it into the water. Then he yawned heavily.
 
“You two can do as you please. I'm taking a nap,” Fuse replied, and laid down. Rouge choked back a ferocious scream, and even Blue seemed taken aback with Fuse's response. But they didn't do anything. Instead, Rouge waited for Fuse to be asleep before talking to Blue. He got up off the ground.
 
“Come on, we're leaving,” Rouge said, dragging Blue up.
 
“What? Why? And where will we go?” Blue inquired, nervously letting Rouge drag him towards the edge. Rouge gestured for him to keep his voice down.
 
“I don't know... I think we should at least get off this island. If Fuse won't take this seriously, I won't take him seriously. Innocent people are getting hurt,” Rouge explained in a hushed tone, “So, I'm going to make my way somewhere, beat up some monsters for Credits, and pay my way to Facinaturu. And I want you to come too.” Blue's eyes widened at hearing Rouge tell him all of this, but he smiled weakly.
 
“That's noble of you, Rouge. But how are we getting there?” Blue asked. Rouge grinned and pointed to the water.
 
“Isn't it obvious? We're swimming there. Now let's GO!” Rouge yelled, and pushed Blue into the water. Blue screamed until he splashed into the cool ocean, and thankfully he didn't wake Fuse up. Next Rouge jumped in, landing next to Blue and splashing him with cold water. Both looked back at the island.
 
“Sorry, sir...” Blue said quietly.
 
“Have a good nap, boss!” Rouge added, and then dove ahead. Blue quickly followed, and prayed that nothing would eat them along the ocean. Where they ended up was a mystery, but both knew that someone somewhere needed them to catch Nomad... and that was enough for them.
 
-----------------------------(A thief named Nomad...)
 
Well, now what's going to happen to our favorite pair of psychotic magicians? How can they reach Facinaturu, and will they even end up somewhere? What about Fuse? And can HQ do anything to help them? Find out the answers next chapter, so click that Review Button!