Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / D. Gray-man Fan Fiction ❯ Ice On Ice ❯ Let Me Hear a Lullaby ( Chapter 1 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: The prologue goes up. This is Chapter 1.
 
Disclaimers: I do not own both the animes. However, I do own the pairing, I hope.
 
Chapter 1: Let Me Hear a Lullaby
 
***************************************************************** ****
**************************

”You are… the doll…” Allen blinked. “The Ghost of Mateel, correct?”
 
Lala said nothing as she grabbed a fallen pillar beside her. With a cry, she threw the pillar at the intruders, forcing the Exorcist group to dodge.
 
“Wait!” Allen called out. Lala paid him no attention as she grabbed another pillar to toss at them. After placing Toma and Kanda against a demolished column and putting a healing stone each on the two's palms, the senior and junior pair nodded at each other and the pair ran alongside with each other, dodging the pillars that were thrown at them.
 
Just as Lala was about to throw the last pillar, Allen had already activated his Anti-Akuma weapon, using it to stop Lala.
 
“If something is the matter, please tell us.” Ami requested gently. “I don't want to fight someone like you.”
 
Lala relented and sank onto her knees as Allen put the pillar aside.
 
“Guzol… is going to die soon.” Lala confessed. “Until then, please don't separate me from him. I'll give my heart to you, just don't do it!”
 
Allen blinked.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************

”Did you know that the town of Mateel was called `The Land Forsaken by God'?” Lala asked after everything had settled.
 
“Yes, I heard.” Allen replied.
 
“The people who lived in this village, in order to escape the harsh climate and blazing sun, built dwellings beneath the ground. For a long, long time, they kept carving them out and they found before them a certain `something'.” Lala narrated. “Despair and pain. This town of Mateel that has fallen into ruin. They created dolls, in order to forget those painful days, even for a single moment. Dolls that could dance and sing. And several hundred years later, even though the town has fallen into ruin and there is no one to listen, only a single doll continued to move. One day, a lone boy made his way to Mateel. The ruined town he had come to had not a single living being, and he would die wandering.”
 
***************************************************************** ******************************

Flashback
 
“Boy.” Lala appeared before the fallen child. “Would you like to hear a song? Boy… would you like to hear a song?
 
***************************************************************** ******************************

”Five hundred years after the destruction of Mateel,” Lala continued. “This was not the first person to wander into Mateel. There were five adults before him. Every one of them attacked me when I asked them if they wanted to hear a song. So I thought this boy would be the same. If he wouldn't accept my song, I would just kill him. Like I did to the adults before him.”
 
***************************************************************** ******************************

Flashback
 
“Boy. Would you like to hear a song?” Lala asked.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************
“I was a doll created by humans.” Lala continued her narration. “My reason for existence is to move for humans.”
 
***************************************************************** ******************************
Flashback
 
“Please, let me sing for you…” Lala requested.
 
“Miss Ghost…” the young Guzol replied. You would sing for me? Until now, no one has done anything like that for me? My name is Guzol! Please sing for me, Miss Ghost!
 
Lala smiled and begun to sing.
 
Time passes and we find Guzol combing Lala's hair.
 
“You look really pretty now, Lala!” Guzol remarked.
 
“Lala?” Lala echoed.
 
“Is it okay if I call you that, Miss Ghost?” Guzol asked.
 
Lala simply smiled.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************
“You ended up being saved by the purity of a child.” Ami concluded.
 
“Yes.” Lala replied.
 
Ami let out a wistful smile, “The resonance of a child.”

”Several decades after that day, Guzol has always been with me.” Lala continued.
 
“Guzol…” she gasped when her companion started coughing. “Are you okay, Guzol?”
 
“Lala…” Guzol choked. “Always stay by my side and when it comes time for me to die, let me switch you off with my own hands.”
 
“Yes Guzol.” Lala replied. “I am your doll, Guzol.”
 
Allen looked on as Lala added, “Guzol will no longer be able to move soon. His heartbeat is getting softer and softer. So only a little bit longer… let me be by him until the end. It's been five hundred years since the destruction of Meteel. The only one who accepted me, a doll, was Guzol. When Guzol dies, it's okay for you to take my heart. So, I beg you, let me be Guzol's doll until the end! Please…!”
 
Both Allen and Ami looked at each other.
 
“No.” Kanda interrupted.
 
“Are you saying to wait until that geezer dies?” the oldest of the three Exorcists retorted as he sat up. “We don't have that kind of time in a situation where we don't know when the Akuma might arrive.”
 
“Kanda…” Allen blinked.
 
“For what reason have we come here?” Kanda demanded.
 
“Tell that doll's heart, now!” he ordered.
 
The two older Exorcists looked as Allen stood up.
 
He replied. “I won't.”
 
Kanda glared.
 
“Sorry. I'm not going to take it.” Allen replied as he turned to face him.
 
Kanda threw his coat back to him.
 
“That coat isn't meant to be used as a pillow for the wounded.” He retorted. “It's for an Exorcist to wear!”
 
“We have help because of sacrifices, rookie.” He added, walking past the senior-junior pair.
 
“Please, don't take it away from me…” Lala pleaded.
 
“Please, stop it…” Guzol begged as he hugged Lala closer to him.
 
“Then I will do it.” Allen interrupted.
 
Both Kanda and Ami gasped.
 
“Is it okay if I become the sacrifice for these two?” he asked. “These two just want to see through the end they wish for. Until that happens, I can't take the Innocence from this doll. There's no problem if I take on the Akuma, right? Isn't winning a war through countless sacrifices meaningless?”
 
Kanda glared harder and punched Allen across the face, before kneeling down on the ground, wincing from his injury.
 
“Master Kanda! Master Walker!” Toma gasped.
 
“What naiveté…” Kanda retorted. “You'd sell yourself by the pound just for a couple of strangers that you pity? Isn't there anything important to you?”
 
“Enough Yuu.” Ami rebuked softly as she too stood up. “Allen has already lost what was important to him a long time ago.”
 
“If you want to talk pitiful,” Allen added as he sat up. “I don't even remotely have a real reason… I just don't want to see something like that happen. That's all. I'm just a small man. My heart is moved by what's in front of me, rather than what the world as a whole needs. I can't abandon them. So, if I can protect them, I want to protect them!”
 
Their conversation was interrupted when both Lala and Guzol were attacked from underground.
 
“Guzol…” Lala gasped as a blade skewered them both.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************
 
Allen was too late to grab them when the blade pulled them underground.
 
“It's him.” Kanda remarked.
 
“Yeah.” Ami replied grimly.
 
The Exorcist group then turned as the Akuma emerged from underground.
 
“I got the Innocence!” the Akuma declared, the retrieved Innocence in his grasp before dropping Lala and Guzol.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************
 
“Lala… Lala…” Guzol gasped, his hand reaching out to grasp his partner's hand.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************
 
“So, this is Innocence?” the Akuma commented in awe.
 
Allen glared harder, his aura flaring up in a deadly black.
 
“Give it back… the Innocence…” he hissed, his aura flaring up. “Give it back!”
 
“Master Walker's anti-Akuma weapon…” Toma gasped as Allen's weapon evolved.
 
“Reconstructing itself?” Kanda added. “Parasitic-type Exorcist s are able to manipulate their weapons based on emotion. His Innocence is reacting to his anger. And besides that, what is this murderous intent? His weapon is changing shape to that image.”
 
“You fool!” he scolded as Allen leapt up to attack the Akuma. “Your weapon hasn't completely taken shape yet!”
 
“No.” Ami objected as Allen's evolved weapon took shape. “Look.”
 
A gun? Kanda was stunned as Allen fired his new weapon, raining numerous bullets at the Akuma.
 
“He shot.” Kanda blinked.
 
“Innocence, activate.” Ami muttered, the orb on her neck glowing an icy white. An icicle appeared in her right hand before forming into an extended Caduceus as she stepped forward. Raising her Caduceus, she formed an energy shield to protect the two behind her.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************
When everything ended, Allen stood on what would seem like a statue embedded with many light sabers.
 
The youngest of the three Exorcist was however, alerted when he heard the mocking laughter of the Akuma. Looking around, he saw the Akuma was running underground.
 
“I'm not scared of something like that when I turn into sand.” The Akuma scorned. Before Allen knew anything, the Akuma emerged from the ground, using the arm he had imitated from Allen to knock the Exorcist off. Allen gasped before finding himself drowning in the sea of sand.
 
“I gotcha!” the Akuma laughed, swallowing Allen within himself. “It's hopeless. You're hopeless now! How many times do I have to hit you before you die?”
 
Flashing the arm he duplicated from Allen, the Akuma proceeded to repeatedly punch his stomach.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************

“Master Walker…” Toma gasped.
 
“It's okay.” Kanda replied. “That murderous intent of his hasn't gone away yet.”
 
The Akuma suddenly gasped when his stomach burst and Allen jumped out.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************

“He shot from inside?” Kanda was surprised.
 
“That squirt never ceases to amaze me.” Ami shook her head.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************
 
Not giving the Akuma any time to retaliate, Allen fired his weapon again.
 
The Innocence is telling my brain what to do directly through my nerves and my brain moved my body. Allen thought as his Innocence evolved once more. How to use my new anti-Akuma weapon.
 
“This time, a sword?” Kanda was stunned.
 
With a cry, Allen slashed the Akuma's skin into half.
 
“Sand… my sand skin…' the Akuma was shocked. “Sand… sand…”
 
“You are not going to have the time to imitate anyone.” Allen told him.
 
“I'm going to blow you to kingdom come!” he declared, readying his weapon.
 
“I still have your arm.” The Akuma laughed, stretching out his mimicked arm just as Allen fired, blowing the Akuma back against the wall.
 
He continued firing as he recalled Guzol's words. Always stay at my side and when it comes time for me to die, let me turn you off with my own hands.
 
Guzol loved Lala! Allen realized. I won't forgive you for that!
 
“Dammit!” the Akuma cursed when he realized that he was losing. “What's going on? I have the same arm as he does. Why is he beating me?”
 
***************************************************************** ******************************
Because you have reached your limit. Kanda mentally answered the question. Even if you've got the same weapon, the user is different. The only one who can use the true power of an anti-Akuma weapon is an Exorcist adapted for it. The more synchronized with the Innocence the Exorcist is, the stronger he or she becomes.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************
 
Allen continued raining his bullets and just as it looked like it was about to end, Allen coughed out blood and his anti-Akuma weapon returned to its former state.
 
“And if you two are done gawking at that junior of mine, how about activating the healing stones?” Ami reminded flatly.
 
“Healing stones?” Kanda raised an eyebrow.
 
“Just press them and you'll know what happens.” Ami replied. “And if you two would excuse me, I have a junior to save.”
 
Not giving the two any time to reply, she stepped forward into the battlefield, her pupils turning an icy white as the Mercurian symbol blazed on her forehead.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************
 
“Damn it.” Allen cursed as he knelt down, clutching his arm. “Rebound! My body can't keep up with the matured weapon.”
 
The Akuma laughed as he jumped at the fallen Exorcist, “Gotcha!”
 
His attack was stopped by four large icicles emerged from the ground, curving around the younger Exorcist and another four icicles piercing through his evolved arm.
 
“You…” the Akuma hissed.
 
“Don't… touch… him...” Ami hissed.
 
“Allen, I assume you know how to use this.” She said coldly, tossing a healing stone to her junior.
 
“Huh?” Allen blinked, catching the stone. “Ami… no… Keena-sempai...”
 
“I'll buy you some time. Use the healing stone.” Ami, or rather Keena, ordered.
 
“Yes…” Allen nodded nervously, still not used to seeing his senior in her battle-mode.
 
Keena's icy white aura flared, the icicles on the Akuma's arm freezing the imitated hand at her command. With a quick slash of her Caduceus, she cut off the Akuma's hand.
 
“Just give me one more shot.” Allen requested a second after he used the healing stone.
 
“Innocence, activate!” he called forth his Innocence again.
 
Keena simply smirked as she raised her Caduceus.
 
“Extinguish!” both senior and junior shouted together as they unleashed their attacks.
 
The Akuma screamed as light bullets and ice blades rained on him, “Damn you Exorcists!”
 
The final impact was so powerful that it demolished not only the Akuma, and also the side of the building.
 
With the Akuma gone, the stolen Innocence fell to the ground through the hole in the ceiling and in between the panting senior and junior pair.
 
“Once more…” Allen muttered, reaching out to take the cylinder. “Once more, for Lala…”
 
***************************************************************** ******************************

After the Innocence was placed back into Lala, the doll awoke with no memories of Guzol.
 
“Mr. Human?” Lala asked. “Would you like to hear a song? Mr. Human? Would you like to hear a song?”
 
“Mr. Human?” Lala added as she crawled towards Guzol. “I am a doll… I'll sing for you… Mr. Human?”
 
“Lala…” Guzol choked. “I love you…”
 
“Would you like to sleep?” Lala asked, placing a hand on Guzol's head. “If so, I'll sing you a lullaby.”
 
And, she began to sing.
 
***************************************************************** ******************************

Up top, Allen was sitting on the stairway as Lala began her swansong.
 
“What are you sleeping for?” Kanda asked as he climbed up the stairs when night fell. Keep your eye out.”
 
“Hm? Your injuries?” Allen asked.
 
“He heals quickly.” Ami replied for Kanda. “Even without my healing stone.”
 
“To me, it looked like for a full recovery, it would take 5 months.” Allen remarked.
 
“Shut up.” Kanda retorted as he sat down a few step below the younger Exorcist .
 
“I got a message from the Order a while ago.” He added. “An order from Koumi.”
 
“Another mission?” Ami guessed.
 
“Yeah.” Kanda replied. “I'm going on my next mission from here. The two of you will take the Innocence back to headquarters.”
 
“I understand.” Allen replied.
 
Taking a look back, Kanda added, “If it hurts… turn off the doll. That's not Lala anymore, is it?”
 
“It was their promise.” Allen replied. “Only Guzol could turn her off.”
 
“You're so naïve...” Kanda rebuked. “We Exorcists are destroyers, we're not rescuers.”
 
“I know.” Allen replied. “But I…”
 
Then, silence as the wind picked up around them and the three Exorcist s gasped.
 
Allen got up and went back to the auditorium, only to find that Lala had shut herself off.
 
The third night after Guzol's death, Lala turned off. Allen realized.
 
Thank you… Lala conveyed her thanks to Allen who had knelt down beside her. For letting me sing until I broke. I was able to uphold my promise…
 
Then, she collapsed into Allen's arms.
 
“Hey, what's wrong?” Kanda asked as the other three stood at the entrance.
 
“Kanda…” Allen replied, wiping off his tears. “I still want to be a destroyer that could save someone…”
 
***************************************************************** ******************************
 
SailorStar9: Now, that was sad. Read and review.