Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / D. Gray-man Fan Fiction ❯ Ice On Ice ❯ Those Who Call Out Calamity ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: Chapter 1 goes up. This is Chapter 2.
 
Disclaimers: I do not own both the animes. However, I do own the pairing, I hope.
 
Chapter 2: Those Who Call Out Calamity
 
***************************************************************** *************************
Lightning cracked across the night sky and we find the train had stranded.

“The conductor said that travel was impossible at the moment, so we still have to wait for a while before we leave.” Toma reported as he stepped into the train compartment.
 
“I see.” Allen noted.
 
“Thank you Toma.” Ami nodded.
 
“I wonder why this Innocence fused with Lala.” Allen pondered as he looked into the Innocence in the container when Toma entered, sliding the door shut. “Why was my arm born like this? Why did the Innocence choose me to be compatible with it?”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Back in the town, Jean was backing away fearfully when he came face to face with the Millennium Earl in a back alley.
 
“It's an Akuma!” the boy screamed as a newly formed Akuma emerged.
 
“It's an Akuma! You're all going to die!” Jean yelled on horror just as Allen, Ami and Toma exited from the train station.
 
Toma blinked as the two Exorcist s ran off towards the shout.
 
“Master Walker! Lady Maris!” Toma shouted after the two.
 
“Are you okay?” Allen asked once he rounded the corner. “The Akuma…!”
 
“Where… is it…?” he blinked when he found a group of people in the back alley.
 
“Does it look like there's an Akuma here?” A bald man asked.
 
“Look Jean! Just because you said everyone was about to die!” he rebuked, punching the boy on his head. “Sorry. It was just this kid's prank. Always screaming about Akuma or whatever.”
 
“I'm not playing around, you idiot!” Jean retorted. “There's really an Akuma! They've started to invade this world, one by one! It's true! Just now, some guy was killed by a rough-looking guy in a hat!”
 
“Sorry, it was nothing!” the man behind Jean grabbed the child, covering his mouth. “He always begged me to play with him and he got a little bit into it.”
 
“I knew it.” The bald man replied.
 
“Next time you scream, we're not coming to your rescue, Jean!” the cook scolded.
 
Then, the adults walked off.
 
“So, let's get going.” Toma urged.
 
“Yeah…” Allen nodded.
 
Still holding to Jean, a black star appeared on the man.
 
Suddenly, Allen activated his Innocence and attacked the new-born Akuma.
 
“You can't fool my eyes.” Allen told him as the human skin peeled off. “You're an Akuma!”
 
Before Allen could do anything, Ami had already revealed her Caduceus, embedding an icicle into the Akuma. Allen followed up, smashing the Akuma with his extended arm.
 
“Jean was it?” Allen asked the bewildered boy as he withdrew his Innocence. “You seem to know a lot about Akuma, but…”
 
The younger Exorcist barely finished his sentence when Jean glomped him.
 
“An Exorcist!” Jean beamed. “This is the first time I've seen one! You've got an anti-Akuma weapon on you, right? Lemme get a better look!”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

After they got Jean out of his fan-boy state, the group headed back to Jean's place.
 
“My dad's a scientist for the Black Order.” Jean said. “He hasn't been back for a long time. So I read his research notes one day when I was bored and I learnt about Akuma.”
 
“Mater Walker, Master Walker…” Toma cautioned.
 
“Those old guys from before don't know anything.” Jean complained. “I'm patrolling the town in order to protect it from the Akuma invasion.”
 
“Patrolling?” Allen echoed.
 
“My friends are too!” Jean beamed. “This one friend of mine, Leo, he's really awesome!”
 
“Master Walker, this pit-stop is worrying me a bit.” Toma whispered. “If we don't hurry and get back to headquarters…”
 
“Yeah, I know, but…” Allen replied weakly.
 
“But, we can't leave this alone.” Ami pointed out. “Especially if that guy is involved.”
 
“That guy?” Allen echoed.
 
Ami nodded, “You know who I'm talking about, Allen.”
 
“I'm also patrolling in order to investigate the Akuma, you know.” Jean added.
 
“Why are you investigating them?” Allen asked.
 
“Isn't it obvious?” Jean retorted. “One day, I too want to be an amazing scientist, and make a weapon that'll wipe out an Akuma instantly!”
 
“Ummm…” Allen interjected. “That's nice, Jean.”
 
“Besides that,” Jean added.
 
“What is it?” Allen asked.
 
“I never knew such a weak-looking person could become an Exorcist!” Jean replied.
 
“Weak?” Allen echoed.
 
“My image of an Exorcist as a macho man, completely opposite of you, Allen.” Jean remarked. “But it seems like you turned out to be a good Exorcist. Why did you become one? How did you become one? Did you pull some strings?”
 
“I don't think pulling any strings will help.” Allen replied.
 
“So, where did you get that anti-Akuma weapon?” Jean asked. “When was the first time you destroyed an Akuma with it? How did you feel then? How many Akuma have you destroyed?”
 
“Jean, you shouldn't poke your nose where it doesn't belong.” Allen advised the child, recalling how he himself had cursed Mana Walker into an Akuma, before destroying his adoptive father with his newly-revealed Innocence. “You should also stop patrolling with Leo and your other friends. If you do too much and the Earl of Millennium catches onto you, you'll be in danger.”
 
“Here you go.” Jean tossed something at him.
 
“An onion?” Allen blinked.
 
“My eyes…” Allen complained when the mechanical onion exploded.
 
“It's my invention, the Onion Bomb.” Jean kidded, as the smoke cleared. “Sorry for trying to stop the Akuma from invading.”
 
“I'll be more useful than you Allen.” He retorted as he skated off.
 
“Jeez, I don't know…” Allen sighed.
 
“You're sticking your nose where it doesn't belong.” Toma chided, offering him a handkerchief.
 
“But…” Allen objected.
 
“If it's bothering you that much, I'll ask the finders in charge of this town to keep an eye on him.” Toma suggested. “So, let's hurry back to headquarters.”
 
“Thank you, Toma.” Allen smiled.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Back at headquarters…
 
“It never ends.” Johnny complained.
 
“It just never ends…” Tapp whined.
 
“If it ends, it'll be a miracle.” Reever remarked.
 
“Um…” Allen blinked as he approached the exhausted Johnny.
 
“I can't… take it anymore.” Johnny moaned.
 
“There's still more. It all starts from here.” 65 commented as he floated in with a mountain of papers.
 
Allen sighed. Even though Lenalee said headquarters was home, I can see why everyone doesn't want to come back.
 
“Anyone want coffee?” Lenalee asked, carrying in a tray.
 
Everyone raised their hands.
 
“Um, Lenalee?” Allen approached the girl.
 
“What is it?” Lenalee asked.
 
“Well…” Allen stammered. “This is the Innocence that was recovered.”
 
“Ah, if you take it to Hevlaska's place, she'll take care of it. Didn't Ami-nee tell you that?” Lenalee told him.
 
“Allen.” Ami approached her junior. “Let's go.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Welcome back Allen Walker, Ami Maris.” Hevlaska greeted the two.
 
“Thank you, Hevlaska.” Allen replied.
 
“It's been a long time, Timcanpy.” Hevlaska greeted the Golem.
 
“Well, go ahead and have a look.” Koumi requested. “As you can see, Hev, it looks like the real thing.”
 
Allen nodded and held out the cylinder.
 
“It just went through…” he gaped as the recovered Innocence floated towards Hevlaska.
 
“When the person compatible with a piece of Innocence is not known, she takes care of it until a general returns from his missions.” Ami explained.
 
“Including your Master, General Cross, there are five generals in all.” Koumi added. “After they complete their missions, they also search for a person compatible with unidentified Innocence.”
 
Allen thought back to what Jean said. But it seems like you turned out to be a good Exorcist. How did you become one?
 
Then, he thought back to the first time he met with General Cross and Ami.
 
Won't you become an Exorcist? General Cross had asked him.
 
“Take a look, Allen.” Koumi interrupted his thoughts.
 
“That's Hev's insides.” Koumi added as Allen peered down to see closed cells. “There are 109 holes for Innocence there.”
 
“Sleep quietly for a little while inside me, Innocence.” Hevlaska remarked as she drew the piece of Innocence into herself. “Until you find the one compatible with you and become their weapon. To date we have recovered 41 pieces of Innocence. Throughout the world, there is still much Innocence to be found.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Dream sequence
 
The young Allen was walking behind Mana Walker.
 
After a few steps, the child collapsed onto the floor.
 
“Don't stop.” Mana told him. “Keep on walking.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************
At that, Allen woke up.
 
“Mana…” he muttered, sitting up on his bed.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“I'm a little tired.” He noted, walking down the hallway after he dressed. “I was awake reminiscing about lots of things.
 
“Well, I'll leave it to you.” Lenalee told someone as she rounded the corner and gasped when she saw Allen.
 
“What's wrong?” Allen asked.
 
“It's nothing.” Lenalee beamed.
 
“I see.” Allen replied.
 
“Just… you should wait a bit before going into the cafeteria.” Lenalee stopped him. “Umm… that's right. It seems like the cooking of the jelly was botched, and it really put off quite an odor. It really smells awful.”
 
“Stuff like that really doesn't bother me.” Allen assured her.
 
“At any rate, you can't go in there now.” Lenalee told him firmly. “Okay?”
 
Allen sweatdropped as he allowed Lenalee to pull him off.
 
“I'll come get you later after it's cleaned up so wait in your room until then, okay?” Lenalee smiled.
 
“Okay then…” Allen blinked and walked off.
 
“Um…” he added, after a few moments.
 
“Is there something else?” Lenalee asked.
 
“Is there a father of a boy named Jean in the science department?” Allen asked.
 
“Jean…” Lenalee echoed.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Back in Jean's village, the Finders were looking out for any threat.
 
One Finder was stalking out in the forest when he met with an Akuma.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Back in the Black Order…
 
Allen had gone down to the science department as he recalled what Lenalee had told him. I think it's probably Jack Russell.
 
“Russell's that mountain over there.” Reever told him.
 
“Do you wish to die?” Russell demanded as Allen was about to touch the books. “What keeps the delicate balance is the distribution of equilibrium. If you make one false move and it falls, you too will be crushed.”
 
“You are Mr. Russell?” Allen asked as he went behind the mountain of books and papers.
 
“I met with Jean yesterday.” He added. “He said he was patrolling the town to protect it from Akuma, so please, as his father, tell him to stop doing such a dangerous thing.”
 
“Alright, I understand!” Russell suddenly exclaimed. “I finally found it after three days. I see. I messed up on this calculation. I can't let it go to waste! Once more, from the top!”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

In the cafeteria…
 
Our favorite cook finally revealed his creations.
 
“It's ready! Preparations are complete!” he declared.
 
At everyone's smiling faces, he added, “Let's party our hearts out in celebration of Allen's first successful mission!”
 
“This is bad!” Lenalee interrupted, running in. “Allen is nowhere to be found.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

As Lenalee ran along the corridor to find Allen, she met up with Toma.
 
“Where is Master Walker?” the Finder asked.
 
“We're looking for him too.” Lenalee replied. “I wonder where he went…”
 
“Allen most likely went back to Jean.” Ami revealed.
 
“Jean?” Lenalee echoed.
 
“If so, then we have no time to lose.” Ami commented.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Meanwhile, true to what Ami had guessed, Allen was indeed on the boat.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“If we don't call him back, he's in danger!” Toma added. “I just received word from one of the Finders I assigned to watch over that boy was killed just by an Akuma.”
 
“Just as I thought.” Ami mused. “It is really that guy.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Back in Jean's town, his maidservant knocked on his door.
 
Young Master Jean, you have a visitor.” She announced. “Young Master Jean!”
 
“Who is it?” Jean asked, peering form the gap in his door.
 
“Leo!” he beamed when he saw his friend.
 
“It's been a while, partner!” he added, inviting Leo in. “I was worried since I hadn't heard from you since the funeral. Are you staying with some relatives right now? I'll do whatever I can to help you cheer up.”
 
It seems like he's changed. Jean wondered as Leo remained silent. His mother's death must have really shocked him. I wonder if there's anything I can do to help him cheer up?
 
“That's it!” he beamed as an idea came to him. “Yesterday, I saw an Akuma for the first time! I saw the face of the Earl of Millennium! There's no mistake! I'll draw a picture for you!”
 
“He's like this…” he added, stretching on his notepad. “Like this, and this…
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Back in the Black Order…
 
“Lenalee! You left your brother alone without saying a thing about where you were going!” Koumi whined, being restricted by his assistants.
 
“Not only Allen, but Lenalee and Ami are missing too.” Reever pondered. “I wonder what's going on?”
 
“How should I know?” the cook complained, biting into his chicken drumstick. “That's why I said we should have had the party right when Allen got back! That child is so irresponsible!”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Back with Jean, the boy had finished his drawing.
 
“Let's show everyone this picture and go patrolling again!” he beamed, proudly brandishing his stretch pad.
 
“Jean.” Leo laid a hand on him. “There's someplace I'd like you to go.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Some time later, Allen rang Jean's doorbell.
 
I might be saying too much, but I feel as if I should say something. He wondered.
 
“Yes?” the maidservant opened the door.
 
“Um, my name is Allen Walker.” Allen introduced himself. “Is Jean here?”
 
“Young Master Jean, you say?” the maidservant echoed.
 
Suddenly, the robotic servant was pushed by someone and it fell on Allen.
 
“Did you come to preach some more?” Jean mocked. “I'm not listening to a thing you say.”
 
“Jean!” Allen called out.
 
“Let's go, Leo!” Jean told his friend.
 
“Wait Jean!” Allen called out, his left eye detecting an Akuma. “That boy is…”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Moments later, Leo led Jean into the graveyard.
 
“The place you wanted me to come is here?” Jean asked. “Did you want to see your mom's grave? If so, you should have said that from the beginning.”
 
“Don't be so stand-offish!” he chided, skating into the graveyard, until he bumped into something.
 
“Good evening, Jean.” The Earl of Millennium greeted the boy.
 
“The Earl of Millennium!” Jean gasped as he jumped away. Reaching into his waistband, Jean tossed an Onion Bomb at him.
 
“We have to run away now, Leo!” Jean called out.
 
“Leo…” he blinked when his friend remained silent. “What's wrong Leo? If we don't run, the Earl's going to kill us!”
 
“If you're talking about Leo, he's been dead for a long time.” The Earl of Millennium replied. “Ever since the day of his mother's funeral. That is… since you got in my way, he will be the Akuma that will punish you!”
 
“It can't be…” Jean gasped.
 
“It's true, Jean.” Allen replied, his Innocence already activated.
 
“Leo…” Jean turned to his friend.
 
“That boy is no longer human.” Allen added. “He is the Earl of Millennium's weapon, masquerading as your friend. An Akuma.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“Leo, one of Jean's companions, recently lost his mother.” Toma explained as the three ran. “The Akuma who killed the Finder I had watch out for Jean was most likely…”
 
“Leo.” Ami finished his sentence.
 
“Timcanpy!” Lenalee gasped as the Golem flew beside them. “Allen!”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Who are you?” the Earl of Millennium asked the newcomer.
 
“I am your enemy.” Allen replied.
 
“An Exorcist? Well… a pleasure to meet.” the Earl of Millennium noted. “A pleasure to meet… you?”
 
“Cross!” Allen instructed, the cross on his arm flaring up in a green flame. “Defeat this Akuma!”
 
“Cleanse his soul!” he declared, running to attack the new Akuma.
 
“Stop it!” Jean jumped in front the attack.
 
“Jean!” Allen gasped, managing to stop his attack in time.
 
“Why is Leo an Akuma?” Jean asked. “He's my friend! We started the Akuma Patrol together. We protected the town together! There's no way he'd be an Akuma! What proof do you have?”
 
His ranting was stopped when he felt a gun pointed at his head.
 
“Leo…” Jean gasped.
 
The Earl of Millennium grinned as the newly-revealed Akuma fired his gunnels.
 
“Allen!” Jean breathed as the Exorcist used his extended arm to protect him.
 
“Allen!” the child cried out, seeing Allen covered in black stars, his Innocence retreating.
 
Allen got hit. The boy thought. This is bad. It's said that an Akuma's bullets have a virus in them that destroys the human body.
 
“Jumping in front of the bullet without hesitation.” The Earl of Millennium mocked. “How valiant. You know, Jean, you're bugging me a tad. Even though you don't have power, you go on about justice all the time, and you call me a `bad person, a bad person' over and over. Even though I create only Akuma for the sake of everyone else. That's right, it's ugly, isn't it? This is the crystallization of the guilt created by one's heart. You all think that Akuma are weapons I create, but an Akuma is something born from a person's heart. This Akuma is the same. This is the Akuma born out of your friend, Leo.”
 
“Leo did?” Jean blinked.
 
“Leo, borrowing the power of the Earl, called his dead mother back like this, and turned her into an Akuma.” Allen explained. “I can see her. The imprisoned soul of Leo's dead mother in the Akuma.”
 
“You can see it?” the Earl of Millennium echoed. “What are you saying, brat that just won't die?”
 
“I am a person with an anti-Akuma weapon inside of me.” Allen replied, the cross on his Innocence glowing green. “If it's a virus affecting my whole body, I'm able to recover.”
 
Raising his arm to his chest, the cross burst into full, healing the Exorcist.
 
“The outbreak is receding…” Jean gasped.
 
“Your...what is that?” the Earl of Millennium demanded.
 
“A curse.” Allen replied as he stood up. “A long time ago, I turned a person very important to me into an Akuma. With that curse, I am now able to see those souls involved with Akuma in my eye.”
 
“I remember!” the Earl of Millennium gasped when he realized who Allen was. “I've met you before, a long time ago!”
 
Just as Ami, Lenalee and Toma arrived on the scene, the Earl of Millennium added, “You're Allen Walker! You're that brat who turned his own dad into an Akuma!”
 
“Allen turned his father into an Akuma?” Lenalee gasped.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

SailorStar9: And another chapter ends. Read and review.