Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / D. Gray-man Fan Fiction ❯ Ice On Ice ❯ A Swordsman’s Pride ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

SailorStar9: Chapter 8 goes up. This is Chapter 9. Read and review.
 
Disclaimers: I do not own both the animes. However, I do own the pairing, I hope.
 
Chapter 9: A Swordsman's Pride
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“Yuu!” Ami cried as she rushed towards the injured Japanese.
 
“Kanda!” Allen gasped, following his senior's example.
 
“Allen, Ami-nee!” Lenalee called out to the two.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“I'll finish you.” Vittorio told the fallen swordsman.
 
Ami fired an icicle at him, only to have Vittorio use his sword to blow the icicle away. Allen was caught in the wind, causing him to fly off, while Ami jumped to avoid the torrent of wind, landing on a demolished wall.
 
Walking past Kanda, Vittorio then turned his attention to Allen who had risen to his feet. The younger Exorcist then charged towards Vittorio, his anti-Akuma weapon activated.
 
“Kanda!” Lenalee jumped beside the fallen Japanese. Turning him around, she listened for a heartbeat.
 
“He's got a heartbeat. He's still alive!” she told the worried Ami.
 
“Of course…” Kanda muttered, despite his injuries. “I'm not gonna kick it yet…”
 
“Kanda…” Lenalee breathed in relief.
 
“Kanda…” Pedro approached the trio.
 
“Idiotic Peacock…” Ami mumbled. “Making me worry like this.”
 
“Are you crying, Ami-nee?” Lenalee teased.
 
“Lees…” Ami glared.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Meanwhile, Allen was forced to defend himself as Vittorio's barrage of attacks rained on him.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Allen's arm can withstand even the most vicious of attacks from Akuma...” Lenalee noted as she saw Allen's arm was actually getting trashed by Vittorio's sword.
 
“Vittorio's sword has an Innocence fragment in it.” Pedro explained. “Even an Exorcist's anti-Akuma weapon is not impervious.”
 
“Why does he have a sword let that?” Ami asked. “If he can use the Innocence, then he's…”
 
“He's no host.” Kanda replied in her arms. “He's been taken by the Innocence, body and soul.”
 
“Taken?” Lenalee echoed.
 
“We do not know where Vittorio got ahold of that sword.” Pedro added as Allen was forced to run. “But it seems that he cannot control the power of the Innocence as a host would be able to. The Innocence is so powerful that it completely ignores everything Vittorio wishes it to do. He wishes only to fight and defeat those stronger than himself.”
 
“It's a rouge Innocence fragment then.” Ami concluded.
 
Pedro nodded.
 
“So Yuu fought without the use of his Innocence, so that Vittorio's wouldn't activate.” Ami realized.
 
“It's no use.” Kanda added. “He can't beat Vittorio.”
 
“Kanda!” Pedro gasped as the wounded swordsman stood up, only to kneel painfully on the ground from his injuries.
 
“There's no way you can move with a gaping wound like this, Peacock.” Ami scolded.
 
“Let me take a look.” Lenalee interjected as she took off after Allen.
 
“Right.” Pedro nodded.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Meanwhile, Allen was panting as Vittorio approached him.
 
Allen slowly backed off, dragging his damaged arm.
 
“Innocence, activate!” Lenalee came to his rescue, as she ran along the aged walls. Jumping at Vittorio, she was blown back when the ancient warrior used his sword to blow her away.
 
“Lenalee!” Allen gasped.
 
“I won't fight a woman.” Vittorio told her. “Remove yourself.”
 
Allen lost his balance and fell to the ground as Vittorio approached him.
 
“Stop this!” Claudia ordered as Vittorio raised his sword to finish Allen off.
 
“Miss Claudia?” Allen blinked as the missing Sardini appeared. “So Vittorio did take you.”
 
“I will not return.” Claudia told the Exorcist. “No matter how you try to take me back, I will never go. Return to my home and tell my father and Paretti that I will never return!”
 
“Miss Claudia…” Allen gasped.
 
“Wait!” he called out as Claudia walked off. But, he was stopped when Vittorio pointed his blade at him. After assuring that Allen posted no threat, Vittorio walked off.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
That night, the group rested up in a house on the outskirts of the arena.
 
In a room, Kanda laid bandaged on a bed as Ami watched over him, using her lap as a pillow. She had already used two healing stones on him.
 
“Stubborn Peacock.” She muttered, stroking his forehead.
 
“I don't know if it'll work, but it may help his wounds.” The mistress of the house said, handing Pedro a bowl.
 
“I'll try.” Pedro replied, taking the bowl. “We're talk afterwards about payment.”
 
“No need.” The old lady remarked, shutting the door as Pedro handed the bowl to the ice wielder.

“How's Allen and Lenalee?” Ami asked the Finder.
 
“They seem all right, your healing stones did most of the healing.” Pedro replied. “Though Allen was understandably shocked when he found himself unable to move his arm, but they're recovering well. The paralysis is only temporary.”
 
“Thank goodness.” Ami sighed in relief.
 
“Um, I'd like to ask you, Lenalee and Allen something.” Pedro remarked.
 
“What is it?” Ami asked.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Once they were outside, Pedro explained, “Kanda was so tired from fighting Vittorio that we had to take refuge in a nearby mountain hut, where he slept for nearly two days straight. During that time, in order to gain information, I went about hearing the legends surrounding the area. I met this lady here and heard the story of Sandra and Vittorio.”
 
“Our story begins more than a thousand years ago.” The old lady added. “The Emperor who united our land sired a beautiful daughter named Sandra. When she turned sixteen, a great number of men came to woo her. However, the Princess would not accept any proposal, not matter how great her suitor. `I will marry the strongest man in this world.' The Princess asked a swordsman in her father's employ named Vittorio to fight them. It is said that the great battle continued even after the Princess fell ill and died, and still continues today.”
 
“It seems that the Sardini family's home now stands where the Princess' palace once did.” Pedro told them.
 
“So Vittorio thinks that Claudia is Princess Sandra?” Lenalee asked.
 
“I see!” Allen noted, realizing what Lenalee was getting at. “So whenever he defeated an Akuma who came to take his Innocence, he reported to Claudia.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
 
“The strongest man in the world has yet to appear.” Vittorio reported to Claudia.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“He thought that the Akumas were suitors coming to claim Princess Sandra's hand.” Allen remarked.
 
“Vittorio first appeared before Claudia one month ago.” Lenalee added. “This corresponds pretty well to the date of the excavation and the appearance of the Akumas. But in that case, where was he before then?”
 
“I believe he was sleeping in the ruins, waiting for a worthy opponent to appear.” Pedro offered.
 
“A worthy opponent?” Lenalee echoed.
 
“As long as Vittorio holds an Innocence-endowed sword, more Akuma will appear.” Ami reasoned.
 
“Then what about Miss Claudia?” Lenalee asked.
 
“She wasn't able to handle all the violence she witnessed.” Allen replied. “She seemed completely taken in by the fantasy.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Back in the demolished Coliseum, Vittorio was watching over the sleeping Claudia when a chicken caught his attention.
 
In her dream, Claudia remembered how happy their family was before her father got obsessed with wealth.
 
Vittorio's footsteps awoke her and she realized that he had killed the chicken from before.
 
Moments later, the both of them were feasting on the roasted chicken.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

The next day…
 
“You can't! Your wounds!” Allen protested.
 
“They're healed.” Kanda replied.
 
“Your wounds are so much smaller.” Allen noted as Kanda removed his bandage.
 
“Where do you think you're going?” Lenalee asked.
 
“It's my job to defeat him and recover the Innocence.” Kanda answered, putting on his coat.
 
“But how?” Lenalee pressed. “Even if you manage to cut him with your Mugen, he'll just regenerate.”
 
“I'll take care of it.” Kanda snorted.
 
“You guys!” Pedro informed them. “There's another Akuma fighting Vittorio in the ruins.”
 
“You're not completely recovered!” Lenalee objected as Kanda was about to walk out. “You should rest up today, at least!”
 
“How can I?” Kanda demanded. “What if one of them gets to the Innocence during that time?”
 
“We'll hold them off.” Allen interjected.
 
“I can't trust you.” Kanda told him.
 
“Trust in me, Ami-sempai and Lenalee, and in Vittorio.” Allen replied. “Especially Ami-sempai.
 
“Vittorio?” Kanda echoed.
 
“Vittorio won't lose to the likes of them.” Ami explained. “Right, Allen?”
 
The younger Exorcist nodded, “He can't. So, the Innocence won't be stolen.”
 
“Allen?” Lenalee blinked.
 
“But if there are enough Akuma, then Miss Claudia's may be in danger. We'll go to protect her.” Allen commented. “You stay here and think about how to get the Innocence away from Vittorio.”
 
“Think?” Kanda hollered. “Don't you dare order me!”
 
He was cut short when Ami's ice spikes rose from the ground, blocking his way.
 
“The squirt's right. If you think about it, I'm sure you can come up with a way.” Ami reasoned
 
“Bastard!” Kanda hissed as Ami's ice spears retreated.
 
Before she ran off with the other two, Ami sighed as she turned back to face the enraged Kanda.
 
“Please, Yuu.” She pleaded. “For me, at least.”
 
“I don't want you breaking your promise to me, Peacock.” She whispered, before claiming his lips in a soft kiss.
 
“Pedro, take care of him.” She instructed, breaking off.
 
“Right.” Pedro nodded as the ice wielder took off after the other two.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
Meanwhile, Vittorio was battling the Akuma that had attacked him.
 
The three Exorcists arrived just in time to see an evolved Akuma appear.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Back with the old lady, Kanda was actually thinking of a way to get the Innocence.
 
Kanda's really thinking hard… Pedro noted.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
Back in the battlefield…
 
“Vittorio!” Allen gasped as the ancient warrior was blasted off by the evolved Akuma's attack.
 
The three watched in awe as Vittorio leapt and destroyed the Akuma with one slash.
 
“Vittorio, snap out of it!” Allen called out. “You don't have to fight anymore! Princess Sandra died long ago! You've been fighting blinding for a millennium! You don't have to do this!”
 
“The Princess lives and I wish to fight on. I must fulfill her wish.” Vittorio told him.
 
“Come.” He challenged, pointing his blade at Allen.
 
“Wake up! Your fight is long over!” Allen told him.
 
“It is not over!” Vittorio retorted, slashing the pavilion the three were standing on. The three Exorcists jumped to dodge the attack.
 
“You loved Princess Sandra!” Allen said, as the two fought. “That's why you could never let a stranger have her!”
 
“I am Her Majesty's servant!” Vittorio replied. “I merely wish to fulfill her orders.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Vittorio thinks you're Princess Sandra!” Lenalee told Claudia. “You're the only one who can stop him.”
 
“Do you want him to fight on forever? Do you want to live here with him forever?” she pressed as Claudia remained silent.
 
“That's fine.” Claudia replied. “Vittorio saved me. He rescued me from my life as a prisoner, unable to decide anything for myself. At first, I was scared. I didn't know why he kept appearing before me. Each time, though, he merely made his report and left. That night, though, he spoke to me for the first time.”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Why are you crying?” Vittorio asked.
 
“My father is making me marry!” Claudia wept.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Vittorio rescued me from that place.” Claudia added.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Put down your sword!” Allen advised as he continued blocking Vittorio's attacks.
 
“If you don't stop fighting, Claudia will be in danger!” He warned as he stopped Vittorio's blade.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Vittorio's very existence draws Akuma to him.” Ami added. “You can't live in peace with him!”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Vittorio then grabbed Allen by his hair, throwing the younger Exorcist to the ground.
 
“I knew you couldn't do it!” Kanda hissed, rushing into the scene just as Vittorio was about to finish Allen.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“Kanda?” Lenalee blinked.
 
“Peacock!” Ami exclaimed.
 
“Come with me!” Lenalee grabbed Claudia as the three females headed to the battlefield.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Don't be so cocky!” Vittorio hissed.
 
“Die!” he declared, slashing at the charging Kanda.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“Yuu!” Ami cried out as Vittorio's blade was embedded on his shoulder.
 
“Kanda!” Lenalee gasped.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

However, the swordsman smirked as he cut off Vittorio's arm, disarming the ancient warrior from his sword.
 
“If you won't give up your sword, this is the only way I can make you…” Kanda told him.
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“Vittorio!” Claudia cried as she rushed towards the fallen warrior.
 
“Idiotic Peacock!” Ami yelled as she too rushed to the Japanese swordsman's side.
 
***************************************************************** *************************

Leaning against the wall, Vittorio recalled the battles he went through.
 
“I'm afraid. I'm afraid of losing. No, I don't want to lose I want to lose and end this all... but I can't allow her to marry another man! I can't lose! I must stand victorious, for all eternity!” Vittorio wept as he knelt beside Princess Sandra's tomb.
 
It was then the Innocence-embedded sword appeared before him,
 
***************************************************************** *************************
“Vittorio!” Claudia cried. “Vittorio, wake up! You don't have to fight! Let's go somewhere quiet, together.”
 
“Princess…” Vittorio muttered. “No, I knew that you were not the Princess. The Princess is already dead. Even so, I was happy fighting for you. You must live for yourself, as Sandra did.”
 
“Vittorio…” Claudia wept.
 
“Vittorio!” she screamed as the ancient warrior passed away. “No! Don't die, Vittorio!”
 
***************************************************************** *************************
Meanwhile…
 
“Idiot!” Ami screamed, as she held the wounded swordsman up.
 
“Nymph…” Kanda winced.
 
“Don't you `Nymph' me!” Ami yelled. “After all those times I told you about injuring yourself…”
 
“You just had to…” she wept. “Do you know how worried I would be whenever you went on a solo mission!?”
 
***************************************************************** *************************

“Three days later, Claudia returned to the Sardini estate, got her things together and left again.” Lenalee concluded the episode. “She chose to live her life of her own accord.”
***************************************************************** *************************
SailorStar9: And another chapter down. Read and review.