Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Mist ❯ Chapter 8 ( Chapter 9 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Started 12/01/2007 Completed 12/01/2007
Chapter 8
“I know you're there Mist, or have you forgotten that I can taste Mortal souls in the air?” Shang Tsung questioned, as he closed the tome he was engaged in reading. Placing it on his lap, the white-haired man looked in the direction was hidden. “I suppose Shao Kahn ordered you to kill me?”
Mist rose from a shadow on the floor and took a loose relaxed stance, preparing for a very dangerous battle. “Even though you were my teacher, I never liked you much. Your very essence always sent my danger sense screaming and I'd be left with a migraine for an hour after departing.”
Shang Tsung smiled with a knowing look in his eyes. “I suppose it would to a man who trained extensively with a combat book designed as Netherrealm humor.” He stood to his feet and took an aggressive Kung Fu stance. “Before we begin our fight, Mist, have you realized which element it is that you must master?”
Deciding to oblige a man marked for death, Mist shook his head to the negative. “No, not yet; but a close friend is going to tell me.”
Shang Tsung smiled predatorily “I know I can't kill you, Mist; your skill surpasses my own too many times over,” Shag Tsung credited. Mist felt the familiar stirrings of overwhelming danger. “But, my knowledge goes millennia beyond yours. There is a reason why I am still alive when even the Elder gods tried their hand at killing me. You, you are a student of the Art; but, I, I am its Master. It molds to my needs and in turn I gain more knowledge.”
Mist, his nerves set on edge, dropped into the Soul of Ice, preparing his fastest and most lethal attacks, even as the air filled with chilling mist. “Is there a point to your death speech, or are you hoping for enough time to build your magical constructs?”
Shang Tsung clapped his hands bemusedly. “Very well played, Mist. But, it already too late, already you are beginning to fade. Before you die though, I will tell you the answer to your greatest question. Time. Time is what exists between Darkness and Darkness. Time is one-half of the true form of the One Being, the great threat that held his icy grip over the Elder gods, scaring them, as they did not want to die. They ripped Time into several segments, but two are very special. The first is Outside, the Realm they reside in, a world where Time has no hold, but in order to create such a world, they had to place the effects of Time somewhere else.”
Mist looked down at the space his legs once held him aloft. “Damn,” he cursed. `How could I have been so stupid?' Of course Shang Tsung would know his Moment of death was at hand, but he should not have given the old man the chance to prepare a binding spell. “Before I go, Shang Tsung,” Ranma threw a ball of glowing orange dust, scattering particles of an unknown substance through the room. “I thought I would give you a going away present. Xi Fa Xiang Gao, Formula #12 Revised: Dehydrated Release. Anything with a temperature higher than 0 Celsius will lose all of its memories by inhalation. Enjoy.” With the last of his words spoken, Ranma faded from Outworld, perhaps to never be seen again.
 
Nabiki paced like a caged animal, Ranma had been gone since Thursday and now it was Sunday. For the first time, she felt as if it were her fault. She could have warned Ranma away from pursuing his master. Obviously this Shang Tsung fellow planned for Ranma's eventual betrayal and set him up. At least she knew she would have, assuming she were evil and wanting to rule the universe.
She gripped at her sweaty palms. She already had ten women waiting to see Ranma perform and worst off, they had paid extra, just to get here from Minato Ward's Juuban. She was going to have to issue refunds for every person that missed their showing.
“Oh, Ranma, you are so going to owe me for this.” While it was a vow she had uttered many a time, she couldn't put her heart into it. This was like finding out her best friend was tied into the Yakuza and was trying to take over the local division; it just didn't happen.
“Hey, Tendo-san, where is our hunk for the night?” asked a young girl, possibly Ranma and Akane's age.
Nabiki shuffled her feet, staring into the distance, hoping to see a pigtailed boy bouncing his way, by rooftop, to meet her. “I wish I knew,” Nabiki muttered under her breath.
Minako's green eyes sparkled with concern. “Are you okay; you look pensive? You know what they say, all work and no boys makes a business woman frigid.”
Nabiki frowned, had this girl just insulted her, calling her frigid? “I'll have you know-“ Nabiki's diatribe was cut short when a blue haired girl with a stunning similarity to Akane, minus the over-abundance of muscle and the baked on snarl, patted Minako on the back.
“I'm sorry about her, she can't say any of her phrases right. She meant no disrespect, even if that's what it came across as.” Ami's voice was soft and calming, like watching a gentle breeze blowing silk sheets.
“Apology accepted,” Nabiki took a moment to regard the physique of the gathered girls. A tall brunette with legs any guy would kill for, a blonde with a level of cuteness only surpassed by Azusa Shiratori, another blonde with green eyes (the girl who had been speaking with her a moment ago) had a body fit for a pop idol, the blue haired girl was a petite cutey, perfect for guys with a Lolita Complex. There were two redheads; one was the same age as the other girls though she was of more average build, the other technically had pink hair, but it looked to be darkening, suggesting it was natural, with a build like Nabiki, herself, had. One wore a long red skirt and white sweater that increased her sex appeal, making her look more like an adult woman; next to her was another woman-esque teen with long flowing deep-green hair and eyes that spoke an intellect rivaling Nabiki's own, it also showed in her ice-queen mask. It took several moments to force her gaze to break from the woman's own eyes. When she finally did, Nabiki was treated to the sight of a petite girl, who looked as frail as paper, but held an inner strength Nabiki had only seen in Ranma and Ryoga. Whoever the girl was, she had seen more than her fair share of sorrow and pain.
“Perhaps we should be taking our leave if this Ranma person is not going to show.” The long green haired woman intoned, rising to her feet. “I do believe we were told we would receive a full refund should our guest of honor not show.” She requested with her hand extended in expectation.
Nabiki grimaced; she liked to make money, not spend it. `I'm going to have a long talk with Umino-kun tomorrow,' she assessed. With a heavy heart, she shoveled the money from her pocket and extended her hand.
Setsunna was feeling sorely disappointed, she had heard much about this Ranma Saotome and despite her efforts she was unable to view anything about him in Gates of Time and Space. When she reached to take the groups money back, she had to wrestle Nabiki's clenched fist open. “Thank you for your efforts, Tendo-san. Perhaps, when he returns you can contact us through Umino.”
Nabiki nodded a soft sob escaping her lips as she watched her money walk away. “oh, well, at least I worked in a no refund clause with the other girls, but they definitely are going to want to cash in on that rain-check,” Nabiki mused. All's well that ends well…
 
 
LWH (laarcae@laarcae.com)