Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Dragon Ball/Z/GT Fan Fiction ❯ Shadowed Heart ❯ Amendments ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer- The characters, settings, and all related terms belong to their respective owners, which coincidently is not me.

Time- AU, for both shows

Summery: She hated it, she hated them, but most of all she hated the lies; theirs and hers. The cost of her wish was her emotions, can one man bring them back or will the circle or lies continue anew?

AN: I must say that I am in awe of all the reviews I got the first day this was released and I'd like to take the time to thank everyone and answer some of your questions.

Warning: There is a moment in this chapter that may be questioning to some people, but I assure you that Usagi and Rei and NOT gay. I repeat they are NOT gay. I'm really sorry it's taking so long to get DBZ in there. I promise it'll be in the next chapter. Once again thanks to everyone who reviewed so far I love you!

*The week went by fast and things stayed the same as much as they changed. Usagi's family continued to ignore her, while she and Rei seemed to grow closer than ever. The only time they encountered the scouts was in school and then they tried their best to ignore them. For their part the senshi were baffled as to the sudden change in their leader's attitude. It was towards the middle of the second week, perhaps Wednesday that the confrontation finally came.

It was after school and Rei was waiting outside for Usagi to meet her when she saw her princess exit the twin doors. With a smile she started for the doors, but it soon disappeared when three figures converged on Usagi.

Usagi looked up when three shadows fell across her frame. Expression neutral she looked up at the three inner senshi. "Excuse me, you are blocking my path."

"What is up with you lately Usagi?" Minako asked her arms crossed in front of her.

"Yes, I must admit, Usagi, that your behavior has been rather erratic this last week." Ami added.

"What Ami means that you've been totally not yourself these past few days, what's up?" Makoto asked. Usagi looked at them mildly before resting her blue gaze on the last who had spoken.

"I am aware of Ami's meaning, despite the fact that my hair color is blonde, it has nothing to do with my IQ, despite what you or anyone else thinks. Now I am meeting a friend and I would prefer not to be late." The three stared at their leader in astonishment. They had never heard her speak like this before, and were thrown off by it. Of course it could have been the look in her eyes which could have frozen lakes as well.

"U,u,usa,usagi," Minako stuttered, trying to hold off her initial terror from those blue eyes. "This isn't like you."

"What happened to your old self?" Makoto added in bewilderment. Usagi's eyes grew harder and colder.

"There was no old me. Granted while I may not have been as I am now, I was never as you thought me to be. Expectations are a funny thing. While you all wanted me one way, you never expected me to be any other way than how I presented myself to you. Then you talk about me behind my back, after I have sacrificed everything for you, betray me in the worst way. May I ask what you have sacrificed in return, other than a few hours a day?"

"We don't-" Ami began, before Usagi cut her off her eyes flashing dangerously.

"Do NOT try to refute what I know is true! I saw and heard everything with my own eyes, with my heart! If you know nothing else of me it is that I do NOT lie. Now remove yourselves from my path before I claim what is mine, granted by your betrayal!" The unfaithful scattered at the tone ringing in Usagi's voice, parting like the Red Sea. As the Senshi watched their former leader descend the steps they couldn't help but notice how her shoulders were squared, or how she seemed to float rather than walk. When Usagi reached the gate where Rei was standing, she smiled and motioned with her arm. "Shall we?" She asked her eyes still icy.

Rei smiled in return, eyes glassy. She had always known that there was a leader inside her friend somewhere, and was glad to see that there was still something she could put her complete faith in, without fear of being hurt or rejected by it. Tears threatened to fall as she walked beside her blonde friend but she pushed them back while inside she swelled with pride. As they turned the Arcade came into view and the two entered. Picking a table in a corner they sat down and talked quietly of things that truly held no importance. Both were struck by the feeling of, for once, being normal teenage girls, with nothing more important than finals to worry about. At last the sky darkened and the girls parted ways.

It would be many days before the two would see each other again and events would not stay as they had for the past few days. While still oblivious Usagi's family became increasingly aware of her coldness. Often when passing her in the hall they would notice an indifferent expression and a chill would surround them. They often would shiver as they passed almost feeling the ice in the air. It only served to isolate her more, but at this point it made no difference to her.

Wednesday night as the family sat at dinner her father, mother and brother huddled together trying to ward off the cold that seemed to emanate from their daughter. They had talked together about her new attitude and had decided to bring it up tonight.

"Usagi," Her mother hesitantly spoke, "You're Father would like to speak with you." Her father looked at Irene like she had just asked him to talk to God. He coughed. Usagi looked up from her dinner with eyes made of ice.

"Then speak." She replied in an amused monotone after tiring of the silence.

"Uhh, yes. Uhm, you see, you're mother and I," he coughed "noticed this new, uh, attitude, and were wondering if there was anything that you would like us to know, or do." His voice growing more confident as he continued on, "It is obvious to us that you have some, er, issues that you need to work through. We think it would be good for you to, err talk, to someone about your issues." Usagi's eyes flashed as she set the fork down.

"My issues, hmm? Which one might you be talking about?" Usagi arched an eyebrow. "Would it be the broken promises? Perhaps the avoidance of those I hold dear? What about the betrayal of both my boyfriend and closest friends? Would any of these happen to be the `issues' you were inquiring about?" Her parents stared for a moment but it was Shingo who spoke first.

"Whoa, Odango got smart." Usagi glanced at him from the corner of her eye effectively shutting him up. Pushing back her plate she stood from her seat and sent a glance around the table to her silent family.

"It would seem that you know nothing of `my issues' and as such I don't see how you can even begin to think you know what's right for me. I suggest that you leave what you don't know alone." Turning she stalked towards the door, slipped into her shoes and out into the cool night air.

After walking aimlessly through the streets Usagi felt a sudden pull in the direction of the Hiwaka Shrine. Never one to ignore instinct Usagi started toward the Shrine at a comfortable pace. Upon reaching her destination she started to ascend the mountain of stairs. Looking around the grounds she noticed that it was dark save the light coming from the moon. Walking around the temple towards Rei's room she noticed a flicker of light seeping through the window. Finding the door she quietly slipped in, taking off her shoes and padded softly towards her destination. As she neared she heard a soft sobbing coming from the room. Frowning she stepped quietly into the room as she let her eyes adjust to the candles light. Huddled in a corner, mikos robes wrinkled was her best friend, raven hair hanging limply covering most of her body and face. Closing the sliding door carefully, Usagi stepped fully into the room and made her way over to Rei's trembling form. Dropping to her knees in front of her best friend Rei finally became aware of her presence and looks through bloodshot eyes to the concerned eyes of her best friend. Before a word could be spoken Rei had launched herself into Usagi's waiting arms.

It would be after midnight before Usagi was able to discern what had sent Rei into her hysterics.

The two best friends sat on the floor holding each other. It had been quiet for about half an hour before either of the girls spoke. Surprisingly it was Rei who started.

"How'd you know?" Usagi thought for a moment before answering quietly.

"I wasn't sure at first. I had just had a `talk' with my family and I was out walking around when I suddenly felt like I needed to be here. So I came." Rei was silent for a moment taking in what had been said before she spoke again.

"I suppose you would like to know what that was about." Usagi smiled faintly.

"Not until you're ready to tell me. Just as long as you don't push me away I won't ask for anything more." Rei felt her eyes mist over, but this time with love and disbelief.

"Why do you stand by me? After everything I've said? After everything I've done?" The question was asked so quietly but Usagi heard it perfectly clear.

"You've never given me a reason not to. Sure you've said some things that hurt, but it was always well meaning as far as I could tell. You've never intentionally done something to hurt me. Not to mention that every time it counts you've been there for me. And that's something that no one else can say. I need you as much as you need me, I can feel it." Rei smiled deciding that she could tell Usagi what had happened earlier that day. Just thinking about it brought the tears back but she choked them down and began.

"It started out like all days do; I had completed my chores after school, done my homework and changed. I was kneeling before the fire, praying for lost souls, when Grandpa came to me. He said that we needed to talk. Curious and a little wary I followed him into the receiving room. I was surprised to see Yuuichirou was also present." Rei's eyes became unfocused as she relayed the past. "Grandpa told me to take a seat, so I did. After he sat down as well he began. He told me that it was unorthodox to have a female inherit. I was so tense. I could feel it coming. I had asked why Yuuichirou was there. Grandpa said that his training had been completed and as such he was putting him as the heir of the Shrine." Tears streamed from violet eyes. "It isn't fair! I studied hard to become a priestess and Grandpa said that I would be the heir. And then he just turned his back on me. He lied! Just like everyone else! Just like Father and Kaidou#!" Usagi gently rocked her as the tears started again, brushing her hair out of her face. And that was exactly how Grandpa found them when he came looking for Rei the next afternoon.

Usagi had been thinking about last night, careful not to disturb her still sleeping friend when the sliding door slid open to reveal Grandpa. His face was a mask of displeasure as he spotted his granddaughter and her best friend. Usagi's eyes almost instantly became ice. Briefly taken aback by the fierceness of her glare he paused a moment before moving to wake Rei up. Usagi growled low in her throat, like a wolf protecting it's pups.

"Wake her up and face the consequences old man." Grandpa stepped back the rime in Usagi's voice speaking wonders. He sputtered for a moment before regaining his thoughts.

"She is my granddaughter and I shall do as I please where she is concerned. Need I remind you that this is my property young lady?" He glared at her, but was careful to keep his voice low.

"This may be your property old man but she is no longer your concern. You have betrayed her just as every man in her life has done. You are below scum as far as I am concerned."

"How dare you talk to me in such a matter? I am a highly respected priest and you are nothing but a little girl who can't even pass a grade!" Usagi snorted.

"Highly respected, I think not. If memory serves correctly the newspaper wrote an article warning young woman to stay away from your shrine." Grandpa turned red remembering the article. "Old man I suggest you leave. If she wakes up with you in here there will be hell to pay and I doubt your pathetic heir will be of any help." Grounding his teeth he knew he had lost this argument. Turning to the door he rested a hand on the frame.

"You can't stay with her forever! I'll have my say."

"I can, and I will. I suggest whatever you have to say you say before Sunday has come to a close because you will never see either of us again." The door slammed against the wall and Rei opened her eyes slowly. Usagi's eyes immediately changed.

"How much did you hear?" She asked whispered.

"Enough. What did you mean when you said he wouldn't see either of us again after the end of Sunday?" Usagi sighed and shifted to sit up. She looked down at Rei for a moment before looking out the window.

"It's part of what I didn't tell you that day in the tower. You know how they betrayed me, but you don't know what I did in response. I'm sure you noticed my seemingly drastic mood swings," After a nod from Rei she continued. "I ran to the lake, that's where I got the cuts. The Crystal activated and offered me a chance. I took it, after making sure that there would be no repercussions here." Rei's eyes flashed and Usagi sensed the fear taking over her emotions.

"What did she offer you?" Usagi hesitated.

"She offered me freedom from my emotions and a chance to start over in a new place." Rei gasped hands coming up to cover her mouth.

"Usagi. Your emotions; but why?" Usagi smiled sadly.

"I'm a coward I guess. I can't take the pain anymore Rei. I have nothing holding me here but you. The Crystal said that if I found someone worthy I could bring the as well. Rei I want you to come with me." Rei opened her mouth but Usagi shook her head. "Let me finish. As far as I can see you don't have anything holding you here either, but I can't make that decision for you. I leave Sunday; please tell me you'll consider it."

Rei lowered her hands slowly from her mouth and set them in her lap. Thinking over the past few weeks Rei found that what Usagi had said was true. At first she had thought that she still had her Grandfather but after over hearing the conversation earlier she wasn't so sure. Eyes lowered to look at the floor Rei broke the silence that had spanned the minutes as she thought. "I'm sure of nothing at the moment, save one thing, one person. And I can't leave that one thing, one person alone, no matter what happens." Usagi tried to relieve the pain that found its way to her heart at Rei's words, though she understood.

Rei smiled as she noticed her friend take her words the wrong way and placed a hand gently onto one of Usagi's. Usagi looked up eyes clouded. "There is no choice involved. I will not leave you and as you said there is nothing here for me left."

Usagi broke out into a relieved smile. "I should tell you that when we do leave we will change. We'll be older, we'll look different, and memories of what truly happened in the past will be unlocked." Rei nodded.

"What about here? And where are we going?"

"Everyone's memory will be erased although the scouts will remember Sailor Moon and Sailor Mars. Pluto will remember but it will seem as if it was simply an alternate timeline. If she does in fact remember or try to reawaken the memories in the scouts of us they will simply think she is crazy. Life will go on." Rei nodded again before gracefully standing.

"What do we do now?" she asked.

"Well since schools over for today I suggest we gather whatever we want to take with us and put it in our subspace pockets." Rei closed her eyes and smiled.

"A new life." She whispered.

"And a new start." Usagi finished.*

#Kaidou-Kaidou is Hino Rei's love interest in "Casablanca Memories." He is the top assistant of Rei's father, a famous politician. Ever since Rei was little, Kaidou was like her brother to her. Kaidou told her that Casablanca flowers and the color white suited her. Ever year he sent her gifts for her birthday in her father's name. Kaidou was supposed to be the successor to Hino-san, but he told Rei that he didn't consider him a adult, didn't want to have an unhappy daughter (like Rei), didn't think he would be good for politics, and he never wanted to marry. Rei thought that he was like herself; however, one day, Rei saw Kaidou with another woman and found out that Kaidou was going to marry her because Hino-san said for him too. Rei knew then that he would follow the same path as her father, and she was also hurt because she was in love with him and wanted him to marry her. They kissed in the rain before he left.