Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / InuYasha Fan Fiction ❯ Irony ❯ Learning the Hard Way ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

        Irony
Chapter Five:
         Learning the Hard Way

Staring up at those cold amber eyes all I could think about was the terror that flooded through my veins.

He didn't seem to care about whether I was a kitsune or a centipede demon; he didn't even seem to be very concerned about the fact that I had intruded on his land. But even with his impassive tone I could almost tell that he was slightly bemused by the fact that me, a supposedly full demon would carry the scent of a human.

And this scared me.

Something inside of me must have been made of something much stronger than my willpower because I remained still without so much as a twitch or a shutter to let him know that I was quaking in my boots...well I would have been if I still had my cute blue go-go boots.

I couldn't cower in front of him. Not because I thought that I could take him on, in fact I knew that if I so much as moved a muscle I could very well have my head disconnected from my shoulders; it was for that very reason that I couldn't bring myself to cringe.

So I just stood in place, not moving barely even breathing; praying that he would just walk on. Thankfully he did, bypassing me without a sound or any expression marring his face, he came so close that the hem of his long sleeve was inches away from brushing against the skin of my arm; I held my breath until he passed and even after I heard the soft footsteps of his and his servant fall into the distance I remained rooted to the spot. When I thought him out of earshot I visibly trembled and crumbled to my knees.

Leaning against the tree I suddenly realized that I had just crossed paths with a full demon. No, he was more than that, the centipede lady was a full demon too but she didn't elicit such fear into me. It was then that I awoke to the horrible fact that yes I was much more powerful than a human, even when I was a senshi I never felt this raw physical strength pulsing through me right now...but there were bigger fish in the sea that could easily snap my neck just as I could crackle a human spine.

I needed to be stronger, most of all I needed protection and help. I needed to know just what my body was capable of, to know its advantages and limitations I needed instruction from another demon.

“You want me to help you?” Inuyasha asked me skeptically, his form sitting in a long branch of an old ginkgo tree.

With my head lowered and my long silken tail literally between my legs, I had returned to Keade's village.

As I had expected the villagers that had seen the fight yesterday cringed and some even ran away in terror from me as I trekked over the hill and into the valley of the village. I kept my gaze lowered to the ground feeling so ashamed, I have proven their fears to be true. I am a monster, I have no control over this body and it's animalistic urges.

After enduring a long walk filled with glares boring into my skull and harsh whispered words that my new ears easily picked up I at last reached Keade's hut. I could have raced back to the village easily and it would have saved most of the daylight hours but I knew that once I returned I would be in enough trouble as it is without storming in at warp speed.

I had found Inuyasha almost instantly and thankfully Kagome was nowhere to be found because she was the last person that I wanted to see at the moment.

“Yes,” I replied trying so hard to remain meek even though I could almost hear Inuyasha smirking.

“Feh, and what makes you think that I would want to help you? You're after the jewel as well, and you nearly killed that girl just to get to it.”

I gritted my teeth, does he only care about that damn pink jewel? And if my memory serves me right he tried to kill Kagome over that jewel just two days ago, so why is he being so protective over her all of the sudden?

“I could be a great ally if I learn how to control this form and its' abilities.”

As weak as the claim sounded it was the only card that I had to play.

Inuyasha looked down at me and snorted relaxing back into the trunk of the tree.

“I'll think about it,” he grunted in a very grudging tone; actually I think he'll enjoy lording his “knowledge” over me so I can expect him to agree to my request.

Now comes the hard part, yeah as if getting Inuyasha to hear me out wasn't bad enough, I've got to apologize first to Keade and last but certainly not least Kagome.

I walked over towards the hut, doing so I began to notice that my clothes were becoming inhibiting. I've been so busy fighting battles, explaining myself, and getting in even more trouble so I really have had time to notice that denim jeans and a short sleeve shirt is not going to cut it. I already have worn sizable holes in my jeans and my shirt has been torn from the battles and of course my several mile sprint, oh and let's not forget the hole in the seat of my jeans were my tail had sprouted thankfully my shirt was long enough to reach my upper thighs so it covered the hole but not the tail.

Plus, I smelled, well that's to be expected I suppose since I've gotten blood, dirt, and mud all over me and haven't had anytime to stop and take a bath. Do they even have anything similar to a bathtub in this era...not likely but they must have a spring or fresh water source around here somewhere.

Apparently someone else was thinking along those lines because when I entered the hut I could hear Keade and Kagome having a disagreement.

“Child, you'll catch a cold if you take a bath in the springs.”

“I am tired of being covered with dirt and blood and smelling like a cow or a horse or something.” Kagome said strongly as she rummaged around this old looking box and came back holding various articles of clothing.

“I'll wash my uniform and change into these but first I need to take a bath.” Kagome strongly stated, she turned towards the doorway and saw me standing in it.

“Oh, Ami-chan, welcome back!” she said smiling sincerely.

I had to look away, I don't deserve to be welcomed after the way I treated her...

Suddenly she grasped my hand and started pulling me out of the hut, “We're going to the springs Kaede-sama.” Kagome said over her shoulder as we walked right passed Inuyasha's tree.

Splash.

Ah Kami it feels so good to take a bath. Actually it is kind of cold...correction it is freakin freezing but after a few minutes it doesn't seem to bother me much.

Still standing on the bank Kagome discarded the last piece of her clothing and tentatively walked into the spring, shivering with each step she took into the spring.

Kaede had decided last minute to join us...not to take a bath mind you but to talk us out of this “foolishness”. Sorry Kaede-sama, I admire you but this right here is heaven. I am finally reconnecting with my element and becoming cleansed of all of the hell I've been through these past two days.

Which reminds me...

“Kagome-san,” I began.

“Hm,” the younger girl replied even though she was rubbing her hands together to keep them warm.

“I am really sorry about yesterday. I know that doesn't make up for what happened but I really...didn't have any control over myself. I was just so angry and the blood...” I trailed off and glanced at the rippling water.

How could I even begin to explain to her? It was like an outer-body experience only I knew exactly just what I was doing, and even if it was wrong it felt so good.

“Ami-chan it's alright I forgive you.” Kagome said softly.

I glanced up, “You don't understand Kagome. I could have killed you. I wanted to kill you, and I honestly believe that I would have enjoyed killing you. How can you just brush that off as if it's nothing? Especially since you don't know me very well?”

Kagome shrugged her breath coming out in white puffs of air, while I seemed to have adjusted to the cold temperature of the water nicely, even the shivers and chattering teeth had yet to visit me.

“I may not know you well Ami-chan. But I do know that you wouldn't have killed me. You're not that type of person.”

I growled, bringing my hands up to my ears, “Does this look like I am “person” Kagome?!”

I unsheathed my claws, watching her eyes grow wide in fear that was so instantaneous that she couldn't repress it.

Looking at her fearful gaze I backed down, pushing away towards a large flat rock to ring out my tail, “I am a monster Kagome-san. Never forget, that until I get control over this body and its' instincts I will always be your best enemy; a living example of “friendly fire”.”

“You...you're wrong!” Kagome shouted.

I turned my head to see Kagome standing her full height, shivering from the cold water; “You're not a monster Ami. A monster wouldn't feel guilty about their actions. A monster wouldn't return to apologize. You're not a monster Ami, you said so yourself just the other day. You are a human girl like me, well sort of; you never asked to be apart of any of this. You never asked to be trapped in the body of a demon or having to protect me just like I didn't ask to take care of that jewel.”

She sighed before continuing, “We've both messed up big time, so there's nothing left for us to do but to start over again. We'll find the jewel shards together and maybe that will be enough to make up for our screw ups.”

Kagome offered a pale hand to me, “What do you say? Friends?”

I glanced at my clawed hand but then gingerly grasped Kagome's hand and shook on it, “Friends.” I said allowing a small smile to grace my face.

Despite the cold we continued our bathes and talked to each other about our hopes, our homes and families, and just well girl stuff.

“Oh I could envy you. Sometimes I would kill to be the only child, “Kagome said when I told her that I just lived with my mom.

“It's not all its' cracked up to be. When mom's on the late shift at the hospital it is kind of lonely and empty at our apartment. But I have my friends, its' like have several sisters so its' not as bad as it use to be.”

We then talked about school, I found out that Kagome was in the ninth grade and was going to take the high school entrance exams.

“I was hoping to get into a really good school but if I have to stay here hunting down demons and finding shard pieces...” Kagome stated then finished with a sigh.

“I just entered my first year at Jubban High School. If we have some of your school books and practice books I could help you study.”

“You're a high school student?! I thought you were my age. What placement did you receive on the National exams?”

I felt my face flush, “I...second in the Nation.”

“What?! You're kidding!” Kagome exclaimed.

I bashfully shook my head, contrary to popular belief I don't like people to know that I got such a high score, I didn't even tell my friends, Minako sort of found out and of course told anyone with ears.

“Wow! Now I wish that I did take my school bag with me before I went into the well house. If I ever make it back home I could have passed the exam with flying colors if you helped me study.” Kagome said her tone carrying blatant disappointment.

“We could try going over some of the basic questions I guess but without practice books or even a few textbooks there really isn't much to cover.”

“Alright girls, that's enough talk. Come out of the spring before you both catch colds.” Kaede scolded like a jaded grandmother.

I waded towards the bank until I heard Kagome screamed.

“What...what is it?!” I asked franticly glancing around until I looked up at the ledge that jutted out above the spring. Sitting on his hunches was Inuyasha, glancing down at us with a curious expression in his amber eyes.

I snarled but before I could even think of acting Kagome said the “magical” word.

“Sit!”

A satisfying expression of utter shock and “ah shit” look came upon Inuyasha's face as he fell head first into the water with a very loud resounding splash.

While he was underwater Kagome and me scrambled to the shore and ducked behind bushes while Kaede handed us our temporary garments.

From the safety and modesty of her bush Kagome yelled at Inuyasha for peeking at us.

Inuyasha moved to reply but then stopped himself.

“I see you were after the shards weren't you Inuyasha.” Kaede said sagely as she wearily glanced at the half demon that was making is way towards the shore.

I sighed heavily as I pulled the white robe-like shirt over my head, “Kami, help us, if I am not trying to kill everyone off Inuyasha is trying to steal the shards,” I grumbled under my breath

I was the first to step out of the bushes trying to detangle my long blue- black locks with a bone comb that Kaede handed to me. I listened to Kaede carefully as she lectured Inuyasha on how he, Kagome, and myself should combine our powers to find the shards.

“I don't want to work with that woman.” Inuyasha grumbled, at first I wasn't sure if he was referring to me or Kagome but I suppose Kagome knew whom he was referring to because she stepped out dressed in the same red and white priestess outfit.

“So you hate me that much?” Kagome asked as she shot a very annoyed stare in his direction.

I looked at Inuyahsa only to be shocked by the sudden change over his expression, his mouth moved to say something but it was so soft that my own oversensitive ears almost didn't pick it up.

Who's Kikyou? Wait...I remember Kaede mentioning that name. She was her elder sister that died the day Inuyahsa was sealed.

Kaede was about to question him when a woman carrying a baby on her back and holding the hand of a small child approached us.

“Kaede-sama, It's my daughter, she was helping me in the fields and suddenly collapsed,” the woman stated in a frightened tone.

Kaede nodded and moved to follow the woman but then glanced back at the three of us, “I should be back soon, try not to fight.”

Once she left I went to tend to my clothing...all the while wondering if it was really worth it because my jeans were torn and my shirt had more holes in it than a block of Swiss cheese.

While Kagome was washing her clothes, she tried to pointedly ignore the annoyed stares that Inuyasha was giving her.

“Hey, take off those clothes,” Inuyasha said out of the blue staring at Kagome.

What happened next was so quick and final that I almost didn't see it. Kagome lifted a rock, about twice the size of her head, and cracked it on Inuyasha's skull.

Score: Kagome: 2 Inuyasha:0

“I didn't mean get “naked”. Just put those weird clothes on and get rid of that robe.” Inuyasha said defensively.

Kagome huffed and placed her hands on her hips; “Why because these clothes make me look like Kikyou?” she asked in a indignant manner.

“That's none of your business,” Inuyasha grumbled.

“Fine then, if we can't work together than I am going home. Goodbye Inuyasha!” Kagome stated as she once again grasped my hand.

Once again I found myself being dragged around only this time Inuyasha was following close on her heels.

“Wait a minute “home?” Inuyasha said as he broke ahead of us, blocking our path to Kagome only knows where.

“Yes, home. If we can't cooperate and get the jewel shard together I am going home and Ami-chan is going with me, if we're lucky we can find her home and maybe a way to change her back into a human.”

“Well if you're going to `go home” you might as well leave the jewel shard with me then.” Inuyasha stated arrogantly holding out a clawed hand.

“What this?” Kagome said as she dangled the jewel fragment above his hand then pulled it back. Closing her eyes she calmly stated, “Sit.”

Crash, Inu eats dirt once again.

Kagome pocketed the jewel and pulled me along.

I hesitated for a moment though. Not because I didn't want to go back to the modern world, by all means I miss microwaveable, processed unhealthy food and hot baths but something wasn't right.

The autumn wind seemed to groan aloud with ill ease and something was giving off a very faint copper smell that I've come to recognize as blood.

Ugh...something is defiantly not right.

Kagome's tug was insistent though, so against my better judgment I followed her to the well not knowing what danger would await us upon our return.

As we treaded over the steep hill I glanced up to see an old well resting on the top. Once we reach the top a vast meadow that is fading from a dark emerald to a deep dusty gold and soon into a dead brown, all of the wildflowers have shrived up and gone to seed literally so I think it is safe to say that autumn has overtaken this village.

Kagome releases my hand to sit on the rim of the well making me very nervous because there is no telling how deep that well is and just what is at the bottom of it if anything at all.

“Uh Kagome, I wouldn't do that if it were you. I mean this well is so old and it might crumble underneath you. Hey watch it! You're going to fall in!” I screeched as I bolted to her side to pull her away from the edge of the well.

“That's exactly what I want to do Ami-chan.” Kagome calmly stated.

I blinked until I recalled hearing her say something about falling into the well when she was trying to find her cat, the centipede demon had grasped her at that point and when Kagome woke up she found herself in the Feudal Era overrun by demons after a pink jewel.

“Hold on, so you're saying that in theory if you came to this place through the well that it should be able to take you back home?” I asked skeptically.

Kagome shrugged her shoulders, holding onto my arm, “It's worth a try at least and if it doesn't work than we can just climb the vines back up to the edge. I hope this works because I don't want have to go back to hear Inuyasha gloating.”

“Same here,” I replied as I allowed Kagome to fall back into the well. As we began freefalling I wrapped my form around her tightly in case we do hit rock bottom, if she were to land on her back she could break it or even severe her spinal cord but since I am a demon I suppose that I am made of stronger stuff.

I close my eyes tightly as we near the bottom and nothing as happened yet so I can only assume that we were going to crash to the mound of dirt and bones.

But after at least five minutes of falling I open my eyes only to be amazed that not only were we anywhere near the ground but we were floating through a long tunnel of purple...stuff kind of like a time warp just a lot slower.

After flying through this thing that makes an “acid” induced hallucination look perfectly sane and tame, we are standing at the bottom of the well but I can sense the differences almost instantly. The air around us is tainted by a hint of smog and slight traces of various chemical gases that is normally associated with life within a large city.

I allow Kagome to get to her feet, as soon as I do so she reaches for a vine and begins to caterpillar crawl up them; whereas yours truly just extracts her claws and climbs up the wall of the well leaving a envious Kagome in her wake. Reaching the top I nearly gag at the musty mildew smell that assaults my very sensitive nose.

I help Kagome breech the well's edge and in turn she leads me out of the small shed like that houses the well.

“Kagome?” an old man dressed in traditional clothing questions in disbelief.

“Grandfather!” Kagome says as she takes the steps two at a time to embrace the old man.

I glance to the side to see a woman in her late thirties early forties race down the stairs leading up to the sizeable house located next to a temple.

“Kagome!” the woman, whom I assume is her mother exclaims as she hugs her daughter tightly.

For one awkward moment I watch the family reunion as mother bombards her daughter with thousands of questions while shedding tears of relief that she had come home after missing for almost three days.

I only have a few moments to feel like an intruder though because Kagome's grandfather gives me a “proper” greeting.

“Ah! It's a demon!” I hear him shout as he catches me off guard by waving a long broom my direction.

With a undignified squeak that I am sure Inuyasha would have had a laughing fit over I ducked out of the way of the broom only to be reduced to running away from a amazingly fast old man whom was trying to “purify” me as well as whap me across the head with the broomstick.

“Grandfather stop!” Kagome said as she began chasing after us, “Stop! She's my friend!”

“She's a demon Kagome! You'd better get inside the house with your mother while I deal with this monster!” the old man said bravely.

While he was distracted I had made my escape up at tree. This is crazy. I took down a crow demon twice my current size and even survived a encounter with another full demon more powerful than ten centipede demons but here I am running away from a human who's days are literally numbered and even cowering in a tree to avoid him. But I've got to hand it to him that he has a nasty swing with that broom.

“Ah ha! I found you!” the old man exclaimed as he glanced up my tree, thankfully I was lodged into it high enough that all he can do is swing the broomstick wildly knocking down leaves but missing me by miles.

This goes on for a few minutes before the old man finally runs out of breath and energy and grudgingly allows his granddaughter and her mother to take him inside. Still kind of weary of getting down from my spot I wait until they enter the house before climbing down the tree trunk. I make my way up the stairs leading to the temple complex and the house, I move towards the house and sit on the top step waiting for someone to acknowledge me...hopefully not that crazy old man.

At long last Kagome comes out, “I am so sorry about that. I guess I should have introduced you to them first.” Kagome says in a sheepish tone.

I shrug, “It's alright. If I were him and I saw me I would want to hurt/destroy me too...I think.” I mutter in reply.

Kagome slid the door to her home open, “Come on, I've explained what happened to my mom so she wants to hear what you have to say now.”

With a soft sigh I entered the house, casually glancing at the mat at the door, three pairs of shoe. Kagome's of course, dainty brown flats, her mothers, black traditional sandals, the grandfather, and tennis shoes probably her younger brother. Looking ahead I see a clash of tradition and modern culture as Kagome leads me through the hall, the living room and into the dinning room where a long mahogany low sitting table is the centerpiece. Sitting on one of the cushions is Kagome's mother whom is drinking from a delicate china cup.

As we entered the room she slowly lowered the cup and a warm sincere smile stretches across her face, similar to Kagome's or should I say that Kagome's smile is very similar to hers?

“Please sit down Ami-san,” she offered politely as if I was one of Kagome's normal school friends.

Gingerly I folded my legs underneath me, unused to such a formal sitting position since my mother and myself are not so traditional in our mannerisms and lifestyle.

“So Kagome has told me that you are helping her on the quest for these jewel shards,” she begins in a conversational tone as she pours steaming green tea into two china cups identical to hers.

“I uh, you might say that I am her bodyguard.” I mumbled, feeling a bit humbled by the natural ease and grace of Kagome's mother as she calmly listened to my explanation.

“It sounds radical I know, but I swear by the gods that it is the truth,” I finished lamely, watching the subtle nods of her head and glancing occasionally to the side at Kagome whom was silent all through the retelling of my story.

“I see,” Kagome's mother said without a hint of skepticism in her voice. She took another sip of her tea before glancing up at her daughter and me.

“I know this may sound like such a odd and presumptuous question but I have to ask it...”

I forced back a cringe, here it comes she's going to ask me something that might reveal that I tried to harm her daughter. I've got to think up of a plausible white lie...

“May I...touch your ears?” was certainly not what I was expecting.

“Pardon?” I asked, not knowing that the mentioned appendages twitched as I replied.

Kagome's mother blushed a deep red, “They are real aren't they?” she asked softly.

“Well they hurt if I tug on them too hard so that's as about as real as you can get I suppose.”

“So may I?”

“I am alright with it so long as you don't pull on them,” was my reply.

I had expected her to rise up and come towards me but instead she just leaned over the table and extended her fingers but missed by inches so I had to lean in.

...It felt weird having her fingers brush against the tuffs of my furry blue ears but in a good way.

A purr escaped my lips as I closed my eyes only to have them shoot wide open as I felt a hand touch the soft fur of my tail. Knowing that Kagome's mom couldn't be that limber I opened one silted pupil to see a guilty Kagome blush as if to say “Sorry, just couldn't resist”, and slowly lower my tail but not before her mother saw it.

“Oh my...you have a tail too?! How cute!” she gushed, this time she got up and came to pet my tail that my long skirt couldn't cover. Before I could stop her Kagome's mother pulled more of my tail from under my skirt and had wrapped it around her neck like a boa.

“It's so soft and silky,” she said in soft awe as she gently patted the appendage.

I shuttered, her touch on my tail felt so good but at the same time it felt degrading so I carefully extracted my tail from her hands and held it in my grasp.

A few hours later I walked out of Kagome's bathroom, steam from my luxurious bath followed me into Kagome's room. I sat on the bed while Kagome took it upon herself to play with my hair, at first she tried to braid it but it was too long to make a single braid and I refused to have her make multiple ones. For the rest of the evening we alternated between study/tutoring sessions and just talking about stuff. Around nine Kagome's mom came bringing an extra futon with her so that I could sleep in Kagome's room for the evening.

“Don't stay up too late you two, Kagome has to go back to school tomorrow.” Kagome's mom stated calmly, it was almost as if Kagome had never left home.

Strange. If it were my mom she would have been examined me from head to toe for any serious injury, then would have bombarded me with dozens of questions about where I was and why I was gone for so long. It's not that my mother doesn't trust me but she is a doctor and very overprotective.

I lay on my back on the futon and stare at the ceiling; of course I've given her a lot of reasons to worry. If she only knew half of the danger that I involve myself in as a senshi and that I've either been close to death or even died more times than I dare to think about. You don't understand what goes through my mind when I die, at first I don't think it's real, then I realize that it is and then I am frightened beyond measure but before that fear has fully sink in I wake up...like it was all a bad dream. It doesn't stop the fear though, I am so scared of dying before my time, sure we always come back to life, this last time is a prime example, but I still wonder, what if one day I don't wake up.

Going to sleep with these thoughts one would think that I would be bombarded with nightmares but a few hours later I was awoken not by a nightmare but a very odd dream never the less.

I glanced over to see Kagome sound asleep. I laid back and for a full hour tried to fall sleep myself but that dream kept haunting me. Finally I couldn't take it anymore, maybe it's this new body or something but this house, even as big as it was seemed too confining and it felt like the walls were enclosing on me. I snuck out of the room and the front door of the house and into the front courtyard that lead to the temple.

Autumn leaves rustled at a nippy gust, strands of my ebony-blue hair flew in front of my face. I gently tucked the stray strands back, I really should tie the whole thing back but none of Kagome's hair ribbons were thick enough to hold even half of my hair. I slowly made my way down the steps and to the temple, not that I am a religious person but the temple, in its' purity, both repelled me as a demon yet called to me as a human being. With each step closer to the temple I was reliving the dream that had awoken me.

It was wonderful...no not wonderful it was horrible! What kind of person have I become that my emotions dictate my actions. What kind of creature am I if I feel that strongly about...a monster yes, that is what he is. And even though this strong emotion was lust it shouldn't be directed at that demon.

Standing at the foot of the steps I looked up at the rows of seemingly endless steps leading to the temple but this is as far as I go because I can already feel the holy magic radiating from this building. I am a reflective person by a nature, years of studying and taking part in little social interaction by choice I often have to distract my mind with various tasks before I can succumb to horrible bouts of self-examination and depression. I can't allow myself to be this way.

I am not perfect but I am a good girl. I make good grades of course, I study, turn in my homework on time, I respect my mother and follow her rules, I am polite and all around a good kid. And now I am away from my home, my mother, and my friends, so I above all can't falter, I can't fall when there is no one to rely on but people I barely know.

That's why this dream upsets me so much. It wasn't bad...per say, I had seen worse in movies but...it triggers things that I shouldn't feel for him, a monster that I only met in passing and was deathly afraid of when I realized just how powerful and callous he really was. You're supposed to fear the monsters under your bed and in your closet not walk over to them and want to so much to kiss their face.

Turning my head away from the temple I looked to see the moon and a star- filled sky. I hope and pray to every kami that has ever existed that Usagi is all right, that she is fighting, that she is winning even without the help of the others and myself. It's not fair! She shouldn't have to fight this battle by herself. I have to find out if Kagome's modern age is connected or even is my own time and place, but for now all I can do is wait.

Too bad that patience isn't, despite popular belief, one of my virtues.