Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Mai Otome Fan Fiction ❯ Sailor Otome ❯ Chapter 2

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]
Sailor Otome

The royal ball in the kingdom of Tranquility was a event that everyone waited eagerly for, especially the princesses of the nearby nations. Not only did they get to show off their finery, they also got to show off the beauty and grace of their Otome companions.

“Princess, isn’t this a bit much?” Rei asked, the black haired Otome holding up the bottom of the slinky black dress she was wearing a bit dubiously. Trimmed in red and glittering in the light it was a remarkably sexy looking garment, especially with how it plunged in the front to reveal her bust.

“What did I say about you calling me princess?” the pretty blonde asked, her own white gown a shimmering counterpoint to her companion’s, hugging her body in a equally sexy if more modest kind of way.

“Sorry, Serenity,” Rei blushed, still feeling a bit uncomfortable calling the princess that.

Serenity reached out to stroke her cheek, “It’s all right, Rei.”

Rei smiled back, “Then, about the dress....”

Serenity chuckled softly, “Trust me, this dress is nearly modest. You should have seen what Princess Minako dressed her Otome Natsuna in last year!”

“I heard,” Rei admitted.

Princess Minako of Venus was known to be a bit wild, but last year the lovely blonde had outdone herself. She had chosen to wear a costume based on a belly dancer’s outfit, the semi-clear fabric nearly revealing all her charms, while her Otome had been dressed as her leather clad bodyguard. To say the least, they were a striking pair and had very nearly caused a riot amoung the offended older nobility.

“I suppose this isn’t so bad,” Rei conceded.

“Besides, she’s coming this year, too. Who know’s what she’ll come up with this year?” Serenity added cheerfully.

“I’m almost afraid to wonder,” Rei admitted after a moment.

Not long afterward, in the Queen’s chambers the elder Serenity kissed her Otome companion lingeringly before drawing back. “You look lovely, Setsuna,” she murmured, her white hair gleaming along with her golden gown.

Dressed in blue Setsuna smiled, her long mane of green-black hair shimmering, “Not as lovely as you. Are you ready to greet your guests?”

“I’d rather linger here with you,” Serenity the elder admitted, bending forward and nuzzling sweetly at Setsuna’s throat.

“As would I,” Setsuna pushed her back with the greatest reluctance as she added, “but our duty calls.”

Queen Serenity tidied her clothes and straightened up as she mused, “I’m sure the people would be shocked at how often you must remind me of my duty.”

“An Otome lives to serve her lady,” Setsuna answered before adding, “even if I would honestly prefer not to remind you of your tasks.”

“Me, too,” Queen Serenity agreed as they left her apartments.

Through the halls of the Palace to the great hall they went, both looking as noble and dignified as possible. Reaching the main doors the captain of the guard bowed low, her red hair shimmering as Rose said, “My Queen, the first nobles have arrived.”

“Who’s there?” Serenity asked, Setsuna also asking the other guards to hold off opening the doors a moment.

“Queen Michiru of Neptune with her Otome, Haruka Earthshaking Topaz and Queen Makoto of Jupiter along with her Otome, Ami Freezing Sapphire,” Rose reported.

“Good, they’re both from friendly kingdoms,” Setsuna quietly noted.

“Announce us,” Serenity nodded to another guard even as she composed her expression to it’s usual royal style.

The doors swung open as the guard with the loudest mouth cleared his throat. “Queen Serenity of the kingdom of Tranquility,” his voice boomed, “and her Otome, Setsuna Timeless Dark Opal!”

The murmur of conversation among the guests trailed off as the two entered, then quickly picked up again. Queen Serenity was pleased to see her daughter mingling with the other royals, her smile warm and her manners graceful.

“Mother looks as lovely as ever,” Serenity the younger murmured to her Otome.

“Indeed she does,” Michiru agreed from nearby, the green haired noble smiling slightly as she rested her hand on her Otome’s arm. From a distance one could have easily mistaken Haruka for a man, especially in her tan colored uniform, but Michiru was well aware that her companion was all woman.

“Don’t tease the princess,” Haruka Tenoh chided her queen as the younger princess blushed, “I’m sure she didn’t mean to be overheard.”

“Indeed,” Serenity said, “tho I suppose your overhearing me did no harm.”

Rei hesitated then offered her hand to Haruka, “It’s a honor to meet a respected Otome such as yourself. I only hope to do half as well.”

Haruka smiled down at the younger woman, cupping her face as she studied her intently. Ignoring Rei’s blush Haruka said, “You’ll do fine, I’m sure.”

“Haruka, you’re too much,” the blue haired woman chided her. Ami gently tugged Rei free from her grip, “The poor girl’s going to faint.”

“Otome are such interesting people,” Makoto smiled down at Serenity, the tall brown haired woman having followed her Otome over.

“I find Rei charming,” Serenity smiled back, winking.

“Oh ho,” Haruka murmured as Rei suddenly blushed.

“Don’t even think about it,” Michiru warned softly, “they’ve only met a few weeks ago. It would be rude to ask.”

“But...” Haruka started.

Before she could continue Queen Serenity finished offering greetings to another group of dignitaries and reached their group. “Makoto, Michiru,” she clasped their hands in turn, “it’s been too long. How goes it in your kingdoms?”

“Quite well,” Makoto agreed as she met the queen’s blue eyed gaze, “except for some rumblings from the south.”

“You too?” Michiru looked over at her fellow ruler in concern.

“Mamoru?” Queen Serenity guessed, pressing her lips together in irritation even as she heard Setsuna offering greetings to her fellow Otome.

“Indeed,” Makoto agreed, “he’s chasing every unmarried daughter of nobility he can for marriage alliances, as well as building up his military.”

“Damn him,” Serenity the younger muttered. She brightened, “But without a Otome, he’s not much of a threat, right?”

“Sadly, he’s gotten a Otome finally,” Michiru sighed.
“Why would they....” Princess Serenity looked appalled.

“Any country can send a Otome candidate,” Setsuna said regretfully, “and if they graduate, that country gets an Otome.” A pause, “I suppose we’ve just been lucky that none of his other candidates were worthy.”

“So who’s the poor girl assigned to him?” Queen Serenity asked.

“Beryl,” Rei said shyly, “she was in my class when I was assigned to Princess Serenity.”

“What did you think of her?” Michiru asked curiously.

“Very competitive,” Rei admitted, “she was the kind of girl who would do something bad to the lead student just before a exam in the hope she’d mess up. She didn’t have very many friends, as you can imagine.”

“No wonder,” Haruka nodded.

A faint smile teased Makoto’s lips as she noted, “Well, she sounds like she’d suit Mamoru very well.”

“True enough,” Queen Serenity agreed.

Princess Serenity looked at the three older women with a frown. “I don’t understand,” she admitted, “why can’t you just send your Otome after him if he’s causing trouble?”

“It’s not quite that simple,” Queen Michiru said gently, “so far, he’s only causing diplomatic trouble. But if we send out Otome, we will be the ones condemned as aggressors by other nations, even if they privately agree with us.”

“It’s a complicated situation,” Makoto nodded.

“Sorry, mother,” Serenity sighed, “I misunderstood.”

Before anything else could be said, they heard the guard clear his throat. “Queen Minako of Venus,” he announced, “and her Otome, Natsuna Elusive Emerald!”

“Oh my,” Ami blinked.

“I think she’s actually outdone last year,” MIchiru admitted after a stunned moment.

Queen Minako was wearing the garb of the desert tribal warriors, which amounted to a cloak, bikini top and bottoms, while Natsuna was garbed as her protector, adding a sword and shield to the same basic outfit.

“Rei,” Princess Serenity murmured.

Rei looked at her, “Yes?”

“I wonder if we could get a few costumes like that?” Serenity the younger purred.

To be continued....