Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Ranma 1/2 Fan Fiction ❯ Paternity of a Princess ❯ Reactions ( Chapter 3 )

[ Y - Young Adult: Not suitable for readers under 16 ]

Paternity of a Princess
A Ranma/Sailor Moon Crossover Fanfic
By Michael A. Ivins
 
I don't own the characters of Ranma One Half or Sailor Moon, I'm just borrowing them for my own amusement and hopefully that of my readers. I make no money from doing this.
 
There are some lime bits in this story, so be warned.
 
The only time that Ranma will be male in this story will be for a part of the first chapter. For all of the rest of it she will be female so there will be no usage of “Chan” or “Onna” to differentiate between male and female Ranma. This story takes place after the end of the manga (so after the failed wedding.)
 
 
Chapter 3
Reactions
 
The next morning they went to school. Ranma went wearing her usual clothing. In fact the only thing to indicate that all was not normal was that she was female now and kept silent the whole way. Her manner was brooding even as she walked the fence.
 
When they got to the gates of the school, Kuno was waiting by his usual tree. He stepped forward and spoke, “Ah the fair Akane and the beauteous pigtailed girl. I see that the foul sorcerer Saotome does not accompany you. Does this mean that you are finally free of his vile enchantment? May you now express your true feelings?”
 
As usual he missed the dangerous glint in Ranma's eyes as the redhead walked up to him. Shortly the smack of slap could be heard echoing throughout the schoolyard. Ranma had really put her back into the slap so it was enough to knock the upperclassman off his feet.
 
She didn't give him time to recover. Standing over him, the girl shouted, “How DARE you talk that way about Saotome Ranma! How dare you speak ill of the dead?”
 
Rubbing the reddened spot on his face, the kendo champion was confused more than usual. “Dead? What are you talking about? Saotome was alive and well mere days ago.”
 
Her expression one of righteous indignation, the girl said, “Yesterday, like the hero he was, my brother fell in battle. He fought monsters alongside the Sailor Senshi but was badly wounded. He died of those wounds. Even though Sailor Moon tried to heal him, it didn't work.”
 
Tears began to course down the girl's face. “Now I must face life without my brother. I won't hear of you or anyone else saying anything bad about him. If you say one more bad thing about Saotome Ranma, I will hate you forever.” With that pronouncement the girl turned and ran into the school building.
 
At lunch Ranma's friends Hiroshi and Daisuke approached her. Hiroshi asked, “Ok, you told Kuno a story he would buy, what really happened?”
 
She told them the short version of her story. “Now I can't change. My male form is gone, effectively dead.”
 
“So you're stuck as a girl forever?” Asked Daisuke.
 
Ranma nodded. Hiroshi said, “I always thought your girl form was hot. Maybe going out on a date will take your mind of the problem.”
 
The redhead glared. “I just told you that a part of me died and this is how you show your sympathy? I don't even know why I have you two as friends. Go away and leave me alone.”
 
From the expression on the girl's face the two boys realized they were lucky their friend wasn't pounding them. They walked away muttering about how they had just been kidding.
 
Elsewhere in the schoolyard Kuno sought out Nabiki. Brandishing a wad of bills, the Kendo champion said, “What can you tell me of this story that Saotome Ranma is the brother of the pigtailed goddess.”
 
Hmm… how to phrase this? It wouldn't do to tell an outright lie. “They do have the same mother and father.”
 
He nodded. That would seem to be a confirmation. “What of the death of Saotome?”
 
Nabiki had witnessed Ranma being doused with hot water and remaining female. She couldn't be sure about the deeper aspects of the curse, but that much was clear. Certainly Ranma seemed to believe that her male form was gone beyond recovery. She said, “It is true. The Saotome Ranma that you know is gone, never to return. Ranma-the-girl mourns his passing.”
 
The kendoist seemed deep in thought. Nabiki hoped that his brain didn't overheat. Finally he said, “Then she was right to be angry. I have besmirched the memory of a fallen hero. I must make it up to her by showering her with my boundless affections. In such a way I will show her that there is still love in the world and it waits for her.”
 
The mercenary girl shook her head. This boy's idiocy seemingly knew no bounds. After all of the things she had done to Ranma she supposed she owed it to her to at least try to mitigate the impending disaster.
 
Nabiki said, “While it is a kind thought you have, it might be better if you just give her some time alone to deal with her grief. Right now she isn't dealing too well with people and too strong a demonstration of affections could push her toward joining her brother.”
 
“Joining…” It took a moment but the implication did penetrate. “Her grief is that strong?”
 
“It is,” confirmed Nabiki. “She has spoken of having some duties to perform before she could join him. All who know her are hoping that those duties take long enough to complete that she will change her mind and decide that life is still worth living.”
 
“The poor girl. She and her brother must have been close.”
 
Nabiki nodded. “You could say that.” She thought, “You can't get any closer than a part of yourself.”
 
He nodded. “I'll just tell her she can call on me if she needs help.”
 
As the upperclassman walked away, Nabiki couldn't help wondering if the end of the world was going to happen soon. Kuno acting sensitive was not one of the scenarios she would have predicted when leaving the house that morning.
 
A short distance away Ranma looked up from her lunch to see Kuno approaching. She stood up and got into a defensive stance but was surprised when the upperclassman bowed to her.
 
He said, “Pigtailed girl, I wish to apologize for intruding on your time of mourning. I will not trouble you further today. I only wish you to know that if there is any service I may perform that will help you through this difficult time, don't hesitate to call on me.”
 
Relaxing her stance the redhead said, “Thank you sempai. I will remember your offer.” She sat back down as he left. She glanced over to the table where Nabiki was sitting and the brunette gave her a nod. Ranma waved in acknowledgement. Hopefully Kuno would inform his sister and make things that much easier.
 
Ukyo came by but didn't have time to talk as the bell rang to end the lunch period. Ranma told her, “I'll come by your restaurant after school.”
 
Gym class was a problem because she refused to change in the boys' locker room and the girls wouldn't let her change in theirs. The result was that she had to sit out gym class for that day. She would have to get a doctor's excuse or something similar to stay out of gym in the future.
 
In Juuban after school the Senshi in their civilian forms met at the home of Mizuno Ami. Ami's mother, Dr. Mizuno was working at the hospital Ami had been working on a request by Usagi. Being well ahead on her studies, the young genius had used her computer to search for information on Saotome Ranma.
 
She reported, “I found Saotome Ranma enrolled in Furinkan High School. The registration says male. He has generally poor grades except for PE where he gets excellent grates. He's listed as a discipline problem. His home address is listed as the Tendo Dojo in Nerima.”
 
“I also found something else here in Juuban,” She continued. “There is a Saotome Nodoka that I found. She's listed on the school records as Ranma's mother.”
 
Usagi thought about that for a moment. “I'm guessing Ranma is going to be mad about what happened. It might be a good idea to talk to his… her mom first to see if she can give us an idea of what kind of mood Ranma is in.”
 
Ami said, “My mom's phone blocks caller ID so I can call from here.”
 
She dialed the number she had looked up. The call was answered by a woman's voice in a slightly annoyed tone. “Saotome residence. May I ask who is calling?”
 
“Hello ma'am, are you the mother of Saotome Ranma?”
 
“Yes, I am.” The tone was now strained patience. “Again, may I ask who is calling?”
 
“You will find this difficult to believe but I am Sailor Mercury, calling on behalf of Sailor Moon.”
 
In a tone now dripping with sarcasm, Nodoka replied, “Why would I find that hard to believe? You're only the fourth `Sailor Senshi' to call this afternoon. The other three all claimed to be Sailor Moon, so I will have to award you points for originality.”
 
“I really am who I say,” Insisted Ami. She pressed on, “I'm calling about the battle that Ranma participated in yesterday. She was injured while fighting monsters. She created a tornado using a technique she called Hiryu Shoten Ha. She received further injuries from the glass that was flying through the air because of the tornado.”
 
There was silence for a moment before the woman on the other end of the line said, “That is a level of detail none of the other callers could supply. For the moment I will accept that you are who you say you are. Why are you calling?”
 
How to phrase this delicately? “Sailor Moon believes she may have made a mistake when she was healing Saotome-San.”
 
“A MISTAKE!” Ami held the phone away from her ear for a moment. “Is that what you call it? Because of that mistake a young man's life is gone, snuffed out like it never was. She was just getting used to the curse and being a girl part of the time. I was getting used to the idea of having a daughter in addition to my son. Now I'll never see my son again.” The sound of a sob could be heard over the line.
 
After a few moments the woman on the other end of the line recovered and asked, “I need to know, during the fight did my daughter do anything to dishonor herself?”
 
Even though she knew the woman on the other end of the line couldn't see her, Ami shook her head vigorously. “Ranma fought bravely and honorably. She performed in a manner suitable to any of the strictest warrior traditions. Why do you ask?”
 
The woman let out a sigh. “Ranma has been talking about killing herself. At first I worried that she might have dishonored herself. If that had been the case I would not stand in her way. Based on what you just told me, I must assume the only reason why she would contemplate such a thing now is that she finds the thought of living as a woman all the time to be unbearable.”
 
“But that's…”
 
The other woman cut her off. “Don't you dare say `ridiculous' or `silly.' For the last two years my son was struggling with his very identity. For the longest time he fought strongly against becoming the least little bit feminine when in female form. He feared that he was losing himself. Now she is stuck in what for a long time was her worst nightmare.”
 
Feeling duly chastened, the Senshi of Mercury asked, “What can we do to make it up to Ranma?”
 
The line went silent for a moment. Finally the woman said, “Whatever you do, you must not seek Ranma out or try to meet with her. Her stated intention was to commit suicide in front of Sailor Moon so that your leader could experience `guilt and shame' for destroying her life.”
 
Ami gasped when she heard that. “What do you suggest we do?”
 
The older Saotome woman said, “Ranma spoke of that act of suicide as what she would do after she completed her `final duty.' I don't think she will kill herself before she meets Sailor Moon again. It is my belief that what my daughter needs most is time. With enough time she will hopefully see that life as a woman is not as terrible as she believes and be willing to continue living.”
 
Ami frowned. “Are you certain there is nothing more… active we can do?”
“Yes, I'm sure,” The older woman confirmed. “You must not seek her out. It seems likely that before too long she will try to find you. You must do all you can to avoid her. My child is resourceful and I do not doubt that she will find you and force a face-to-face confrontation with Sailor Moon eventually. Your task in this will be to delay that confrontation as long as possible.”
 
Ami nodded. “We will.”
 
Nodoka let out a long sigh. “A great deal of unpleasantness could have been avoided if your leader had just healed Ranma's wounds and asked before touching the curse. I'm sure she thought she was helping, but she should have waited before tampering with unfamiliar magic.”
 
“She's well aware of that now.” Amy assured the unhappy mother.
 
Nodoka said, “That awareness came at the cost of my son's life as a man. I only pray we can save my daughter.” She hung up the phone.
 
Ami relayed the contents of the call to the rest of the Senshi. Usagi began to cry. “She hates me because I killed her son.”
 
Ami shook her head and said, “I don't think she hates you. She's angry but I got more of a feeling that she's disappointed that Sailor Moon the hero could do such a thing.”
 
Almost wailing the blonde said, “Ranma thinks I killed her male self.”
“Ranma was too attached to her male side,” a new voice chimed in.
 
Letting out a scream, the Senshi leader jumped and said, “Setsuna! Don't Do that!”
 
The green haired Senshi of Time stepped into the room from where she had teleported in. She said, “While it is regrettable that Saotome Ranma has to go through the emotional turmoil she is experiencing, everything that happened did so as it had to.”
 
“You're saying Ranma's male self had to die?” Usagi was confused.
 
The Senshi of Pluto rolled her eyes. “Nobody died! She's just being overly dramatic about what happened to her. She went from being half female and changing back and forth while mostly male mentally to being fully female at least physically. All of her memories and every aspect of her personality are the same. The different body will affect how she interacts with the world, that's all.”
 
The Guardian of the Gates of time said, “I looked at her past including past lives. From what I could read of her through the Gates, she should have been born female this time. I don't know, maybe she learned something important by growing up as a boy. Whatever the reason, that time is over. She has become the gender she was supposed to be.”
 
Usagi was angry. “Even if she's supposed to be a woman, she's not going to do whatever it she's supposed to do if she kills herself! Her mother said that's what she plans to do the moment she meets me again.”
 
Setsuna shrugged. Her attitude seemed to say, “Why are you bothering me with these little details?” She said, “You will have to see to it that her plan does not succeed. You must delay that meeting until the time is right.”
 
“And how will we know when the time is right?” Usagi demanded.
 
As if it should be obvious, Setsuna said, “When she has mastered new techniques that let her get past you no matter how hard you try to stop her, then the time will be right. You may need to disarm her, but by that time she won't fight too hard. By that time she will be willing to listen to reason. I'll coach you in the best arguments to use. I also have a secret weapon that will convince her to stay among the living.”
 
Minako asked, “What important thing is Ranma supposed to do that she has to be female for.”
 
Setsuna gave her favorite enigmatic smile and said, “That would be telling.”
 
Many of the Senshi had to resist an urge to throw something at their Eldest member. Seeing their expressions, Setsuna shook her head. “Really, this sort of thing happens often enough I shouldn't have to explain it anymore. If I told you everything you want to know about future events you would act differently and endanger the timeline.”
 
Setsuna was right about one thing. They had all heard the argument before. It being true didn't make it any easier to swallow.
 
In Nerima Ranma walked into the restaurant run by her longtime friend, Kuonji Ukyo. Konatsu, the ninja boy who was raised as a girl, came up to Ranma and asked, “Is it true that you fought alongside the Senshi?”
 
The redhead nodded. “It's true.”
 
The young man who looked like a pretty girl had stars in his eyes. “I dearly wish I could meet the Senshi.”
 
Ranma shook her head and said, “Looking back on it I could say now that I wish I had minded my own business and not butted in. I wouldn't be in the mess I'm in now.” She sighed and said, “But they were outnumbered and getting their butts handed to them. I couldn't stand back and just watch.”
 
Ukyo walked up. Having overheard the conversation she said, “I'm guessing you're here to talk about that mess you just mentioned. The rumors I heard said something about your curse being locked again.”
 
The pigtailed girl shook her head again. “If it was just the curse being locked, I could deal with it because there would still be hope of getting it back to the normal working of the curse or getting a cure. That's not going to happen.”
 
Now confused, Ukyo asked, “What happened during the fight with monsters?”
The redhead frowned and said, “It wasn't what happened during the fight that caused the problem. It's what happened after. I was wounded and Sailor Moon healed me. But she didn't just heal my wounds, she removed the curse but kept me female.”
 
“What?” Ukyo demanded, “You're saying you're all girl now?”
 
Ranma tapped a finger on the side of her head and said, “I'm still a guy in here, at least as far as my mind and memories go. But I don't have a male form anymore. I can't change. Cologne tested me with instant Naniichuan and I'm immune to Jusenkyo magic. I'll never be a guy again and I can't even go back to being half-and-half.”
 
“That's rough,” Ukyo responded. “At least you're not stuck as a pig, or a duck or cat.”
 
The redhead shrugged and said, “That's true…” She trailed off for a moment before saying, “Say that again.”
 
“Huh?” Ukyo was confused. “I was just saying being stuck as a girl is better than being stuck as pig, duck or a cat.”
 
Considering what her friend had said, Ranma seemed lost in thought. Finally she said, “Cat.”
 
The chef looked at Ranma like she had taken leave of her senses. “What's up Ranchan?”
The redhead looked at her as if she was missing something important. She said, “I can say the word `cat' without stuttering. I think Sailor Moon may have cured me of my fear of cats.”
 
`Well, that's a good thing at least.” Ukyo paused for a moment before saying, “You know I'm registered as a guy. I could get married to girl.”
 
Ranma placed a hand on her friend's shoulder and said, “Thanks for that but I've got to tell you that I don't feel that way about you. You are my friend. I love you like a friend or even a sister. I don't know that I'd want to be married to a sister. Even if I did feel that way about you, I'm still registered as a guy too.”
 
The disappointment was written large on Ukyo's face. In an effort to soften the blow Ranma continued, “Even with your cross dressing, you've made it clear that you're still a girl and you still like guys. Do you really think you'd be happy in a lesbian relationship? That's what you would have if you and I got married now.”
 
“Oh!” The brunette looked surprised at the thought. “I guess I never really thought about that. Before I just sort of figured you'd be in male form most of the time except for a few water accidents. Could I get back to you on that Ranchan?”
 
The redhead nodded then went to sit at the counter while Ukyo went to make up some of Ranma's favorite Okonomiyaki. While there Ranma told her, “I'm thinking that it might be a good idea for me to move in with my mom.”
 
“Why's that, Ranchan?”
The former boy said, “Well, she lives in Juuban and that's where the Senshi are most of the time. I'd have a much better chance of getting together with Sailor Moon if I'm living and going to school in that area. I've got to talk to Sailor Moon to ask if she can reverse what she did to me.”
 
The chef smashed a fist into an open palm. “Of course! I should have thought of that. She should be able to undo what she did to you.”
 
Ranma shook her head. “Personally I think it's a long shot. But I have to try.”
 
Now confused brunette flipped the pancake-like food and asked, “Why wouldn't she be able to reverse what she did?”
 
The redhead's expression turned grim. “Don't forget I've met the Senshi. In spite of the fact they are superheroes, a lot of people seem to forget the simple fact that they're kids, 16 years old at the most. I'd be really surprised if Sailor Moon fully understood what it was she did and more surprised if she is able to figure out a way to reverse it.”
 
“Just kids?”
 
Nodding, Ranma said, “The only older person I saw was Tuxedo Kamen who looks about 20. I didn't see Sailor Pluto, so she may be older. I should hope so, because a bunch of kid superheroes need some kind of mentor or advisor. I know I don't look like it right now but even I'm older and a lot better trained at fighting than they are. Their fighting tactics rely too much on their powers. For any kind of close in fighting they're in serious trouble.”
 
Ukyo nodded. She asked, “I got the feeling there was another reason you wanted to move in with your mom.”
 
“Actually it's a bunch of things,” Ranma said. “First, I'm tired of putting up with my Pop. Second is that going to a new school where they don't know me should have less trouble with me being a girl. With the reputation I have just taking a leak could result in me getting into a fight. I don't trust the guys in their restroom when I look like this, and the girls don't trust me in theirs.”
 
The chef frowned as she considered that. “Won't they find out at your new school that you used to be a guy when your records get sent over?”
 
Ranma let out an amused snort. “Principal Pineapple doesn't have the best reputation with the other schools in town. When they find out that Furinkan is where I went, the people at Juuban High will easily believe that it was a clerical error that had me registered as a boy before.”
 
Ukyo had to laugh. “Maybe you're right at that. I never could understand why that idiot thinks he's qualified to run a school anyway. How he was able to convince the Ministry of Education is an even bigger mystery. But what about your birth records?”
 
The redhead shrugged. “Before I worry about that I'll need to talk to Sailor Moon. If she can reverse what she did then I won't need to worry about it. If she can't then I'll worry about it then.”
 
The chef took Ranma's hand and begged, “Ranchan, do you have to go? Even if you're just a friend and not a fiancé, I'll miss you.”
 
With a sigh, Ranma replied, “I need to get some peace and quiet to think over my new situation. Do you really think I could get that staying in this town and going to that school?”
 
Grudgingly Ukyo admitted, “You're probably right about that. On the other hand going to Juuban might not be the best for peace and quiet either, especially if you were to get involved with the affairs of the Senshi.”
 
“Oh, I'll be extra careful about how I approach them,” Ranma assured her friend.
 
Author's Note: At the time I started writing this story I hadn't read “Fist of the Moon.” Although I'm not planning on ending this the same way, this is sufficiently similar that I may decide not to continue this.
 
Spoiler alert - Unlike “Fist of the Moon” I don't plan on Ranma ever getting back the ability to change into a male. Mamoru will start to join in the battles as an armored Endymion and Ranma will end up married to him.
 
Let me know if you would like to see this story continued.