Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Slayers Fan Fiction ❯ Lina's Quest ❯ Head On Collisions ( Chapter 7 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Title: Lina's Quest
 
Chapter title: Head On Collisions
 
Author: Malimillions
 
Summary: What do you do with a magic - wielding, dragon slaying, power hungry, egomaniacal menace to society straight out of the dark ages? Why, make her a modern-day super-hero, of course! Luna's at her wit's end!
 
Rating: PG-13 due to violence, skewed perspectives, homophobia… and of course, all of Lina's constant swearing.
 
Pairing (s): none so far
 
Feedback: Is much appreciated. Hate it or love it, I'd love to hear why and what you thought of it!
 
Fandoms used: The anime series involved with this crossover so far; Slayers, Ranma 1/2, Dragon Ball Z & Sailor Moon.
 
Characters: Lina Inverse (Slayers) and Luna (Sailor Moon) and Goten Son (Dragon Ball Z).
 
Betas: If anyone volunteers I'd be tickled pink. : D
 
Author's notes:
* * These are for symbolizing characters internal thoughts.
# # This is around my notes here to help the reader with things or give an explanation.
// // These signify the speech of non-humanoid (not counting Luna) and unearthly beings.
 
Disclaimer: Sailor Moon does not belong to me. Slayers does not belong to me. Ranma 1/2 does not belong to me. Dragon Ball Z does not belong to me. I make no money off of this.
 
 
 
 
--- Some unfortunate grocery store later ---
 
“Ugh.” Lina, now wearing a cute blue mini skirt and matching powder blue twin set (whatever those were), was precariously balanced on one foot while lifting lots of grocery bags before she stumbled down the street. She soon regained her footing, and attempted to walk steadily, though with all of the bags she was holding she couldn't see where the heck she was going.
She did not like this planet any more then she liked their rash ideas of what were proper “clothes” for a girl to wear. Give her a cape and armor any day and she'd be as snug as a bug in a well - armed military defense camp.
So the problem now that she did not feel very secure in these clothes. They exposed far too much, and the stitching was botched in places, the craftsmanship lazy and the material too cheap. Also, while she was not necessarily what one would call `modest' in her choice of clothes, as she preferred skin tight breeches and tunics under her volumeous cape and shoulder armor, she was certainly not open to flashing her scabby legs to just anyone who wished to look. If she had previously thought apartment scouting to be taxing it was in comparison to what “shopping” was like on this hellhole.
Honestly, she hadn't been prepared for the perils that awaited her in the shopping district that day… the sales clerks of the trendy teenage stores Luna had made her patronage was something else. The two bubble-brains had taken one look at her attire before dragging her into their clutches. It was humiliating, to say the least. They had practically adopted her during their impassioned “fixer upper” job; leaving her with not only with a contemporary acceptable trundle of clothes, but an entire wardrobe worth of “styles”.
In the past, Lina had stood her ground to whoever or whatever had the folly of challenging her, be it dragon or mage or god. But today--
Today was absolutely mortifying. The stares in the grocery store were hard enough as she spent at least ten minutes examining each product on the shelf that had grabbed her eye. The flashy packaging aside, it was hard enough for her to determine what the item actually was. Sure, she could read the language well enough, but understanding it was an entirely different issue. For instance, she had never heard of “cream cheese” before. Cream cheese? She liked a dash of dairy products in her diet here and there, but wasn't combing both cheese and cream going a bit… far? Talk about clogged arteries…
She also wasn't sure what some of the potted green plants (she supposed they were edible; they were being sold in a food store, right?) were, but she also had picked some colorful boxes of things that she was starting to think were not fit for consumption. Because she was unsure about the large potted vegetables, she decided to supplement her diet with some packaged somethings, even if she still was not sure what they were. After all the term on the package that read “will make your whites bright!” on one of her dinner selections sounded highly suspicious. So she had an inkling it wouldn't taste too good, but had bought it anyway.
And then there was the problem with navigation. Seeing as the grocery store clerks did not let her use one of the carts from the shopping center to lug her things home with, and the fact that Luna had thrown a fit at the mere mention of Lina levitating her purchases to better carry them home, the cat going on about something like “What would the neighbors think!'', so Lina had to stop and think of another method.
So in the end of it, Lina was stuck with having to lug all of it back to her humble abode by only using her own strength. Then carrying the whole lot back home on foot, of course.
Luna had been just as angry at the idea of her flying in full view of the public (Lina could see the point of that; after all, she was wearing a rather short skirt to try flying in), as she was at the suggestion to simply levitate the packages so they'd float around her while she walked home, leaving her arms and hands free.
So it let her with the only option of carrying the entire load in her arms by tilting her back backwards to better balance the load, while the stack of bags she was lugging teetered precariously high above her head, blocking her view of the street in front of her completely.
Luna had then declared that she would serve the role as navigator, walking ahead of Lina at a leisurely pace, and telling her when she had to turn onto another street, or when she jump the so called “curbs” and when not to.
For once it was good that Lina couldn't see the stares she received as she attempted to accomplish this feat --- In Luna's mind, it also stopped Lina from sneering at the pathetically weak magical auras the citizens of Tokyo possessed.
The feline had already learned that Lina's loud comments about other people were too ambiguous to be taken as compliments, but could also be interpreted to be too insulting at the same time. For instance, the time the store clerk had stomped off in a rage at the mere mention of Lina vocally announcing that he had a `weak, watery broth of potential' when they had been whispering about his lack of magical powers still rang clear in her mind.
Caught up in her thoughts, the wandering feline didn't notice that her charge had turned and was heading in a completely different direction that she was.
“Hey Luna, where are you--?” Lina twisted around and abruptly crashed into someone and fell down in a heap with her grocery bags crashing down on top of her.
“Hey, watch where you're going!” an angry teenager about her age and twice her height snarled, his eyebrows lowered and his gravity defying hair splintering in all directions around his head like antennae, before falling around his shoulders in raggedy chunks of dull black.
Shocked, she noticed that he hadn't even turned from where he was talking to a peer, so was he completely unaffected by the force of their collision. Lina blinked from her spot on the stone walk, wondering why he hadn't been knocked down as well.
 
 
 
 
 
1