Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Trigun Fan Fiction ❯ Pearls of Experience ❯ Revelations ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Disclaimer: I do not own Trigun or Sailor Moon

Sharem: Hi everyone…^_^ I know, I have other stories that I need to finish but this one just wouldn't leave my mind. This is my first story in the Sailor Moon Crossovers section and the story takes place after the end of both anime.

Pearls of Experience

Chapter Five - Revelations

A month passed by slowly for Ami in the small town of New Pueblo. First, Knives was making it difficult for the former senshi to take care of his wounds and broken arm. His attitude towards her, if anything, actually got worse. It got so bad that she had to take out all of her medical supplies from the room and transfer them to the locked closet in the hallway. One day, the Plant got a hold of one of the needles from the cabinet and tried to stab the blue haired doctor and Millie with it.

The second thing that made the month go by slowly was the attempts by her, Millie and Wolfwood to make Meryl and Vash realize their feelings for one another. The outlaw continued to act the child whenever it came to donuts, food, and the Bernadelli Insurance girl. Meryl, on the other hand, would lose her temper on the red garbed plant whenever he was acting childish. It was getting harder for Ami to convince the woman that there was hope for Vash and that he would show his feelings in time.

Meryl had told her once that she believed that Vash would never come out and tell her that he cares for her. "That man is so dense that he wouldn't even notice his own shadow trying to get his attention," she replied in a sad voice. Ami did not know how to respond to her friend's comment. All she knew to do was give the other woman a hug.

Ami sighed as she finished her rounds for the day and found herself in front of the house she shared with her friends and unruly patient. She didn't exactly want to go inside at the moment but she knew that she should. Her normal routine would be after she did her rounds, she would check up on Knives. Every time that she saw him, he would curse her out and threaten to kill her. She would always be gentle with the man despite how he treated her.

The blue haired woman took in a deep breath and walked into the house. There were sounds coming from the kitchen; apparently, Millie was cooking dinner for everyone. She heard Meryl talking to the tall woman, saying that Vash was out at the orphanage with Wolfwood. From what they were saying, Ami knew that the only male that was currently in the house was her patient, Knives Millions. After putting her doctor's bag on the stand next to the front door, she walked into the kitchen.

"Good afternoon, Ms. Ami," Millie smiled cheerfully. "I already made a plate for Mr. Knives for dinner. Its macaroni and cheese and some steamed vegetables."

Ami returned the smile and nodded. "Thanks, Millie. How are you doing today, Meryl? Did you get any messages from the Bernadelli Insurance Society?"

The dark haired woman nodded, her blue-grey eyes twinkling. "Yes, I sure did," she answered. "They wired money to the bank here in New Pueblo so we can hopefully keep Vash here. My boss stated that Vash is to have constant surveillance in order to keep the damage he does to a bare minimum."

Millie giggled as she stirred something in the pot on the stove. "Meryl is just happy that she gets to be paid and stay around Mr. Vash all of the time."

"MILLIE!" Meryl cried out indignantly, her cheeks bright red. Ami laughed at her friend's embarrassment as she gathered the tray that had Knives' dinner and made her way out of the kitchen.

"Ms. Ami, you better eat dinner tonight," Millie called after the doctor. "A doctor needs to keep up her strength when helping people, especially her patient."

Ami blushed slightly when she heard Millie as she was about to climb up the stairs. She was not aware that anyone had noticed that she hasn't been eating much lately. Part of the reason was due to the fact that Knives was bothering her and the other part was the evil presence she felt a month ago. She sighed once again as she went up the stairs and stood in front of her patient's door. She knocked on it lightly before entering the room slowly.

Knives was in a sitting position on the bed, his gaze was directed at the blue haired doctor. He did not say a word at Ami as she placed the tray of food on the stand next to his bed. She pushed the stand so the tray was over her patient's lap, feeling very self-conscience about the way the Plant was looking at her. She checked his bandages on his legs and arms and nodded to herself. (AN: He is wearing shorts at the moment.) The stitches held the wounds very well and needed to be taken out.

"I'll be taking out the stitches in your legs and left arm tomorrow," she remarked, knowing that the man was probably not really listening to her. "I think that I will take the cast off your arm in about a week. It should be completely healed by then. Anyway, I'll be back later to take your food tray." She then turned to leave the room and head down the stairs.

"Stay," Knives stated simply, completely ignoring the food on the stand.

Ami stopped short and turned back around to face the blonde man. She was shocked, to say the least, that this cold-hearted man asked her to stay. "I…I suppose so," she stammered slowly as she sat down on one of the chairs in the room. "Is there something that you want to talk about?"

The Plant never took his eyes off of the former senshi, studying her appearance. "Yes, there is something I would like to discuss with you," he stated, his voice and expression not giving away any type of emotion. "A month ago, I overheard my oaf of a brother talk with the traitor and the spider female my brother fancies. It was about you."

The doctor tilted her head to one side, very curious as to what her friends had talked about. "Are you sure you want to talk about that?" she asked. "It isn't really nice to talk about the discussions that other people had. It is a little rude, in my opinion."

Knives rolled his eyes as he pushed the stand away, not at all interested in his food. "If you can use that insignificant brain of yours, you should remember that I neither care for being nice nor do I care about your lowly opinions," he replied in an insulting tone. He smirked when he saw the petite woman stiffen slightly at his jibe and that made him feel a little better. "Anyway, I do have a question for you. Are you a Plant?"

Ami's brow creased lightly in confusion and then shook her head. "I don't know what you mean," she answered. "What do you mean by a Plant? I was born human."

The Plant sighed in exasperation and glared at the woman. "You live on this planet and you don't know about Plants?" he asked incredulously. "They are what gives the towns and cities use for power. They are living beings, plants, which give off immense energy. They are beings that live outside of time…like Vash…like me."

The look of curiosity and interest on Ami's face did not go unnoticed by the blonde man. "You are a plant? Vash is a plant?" she asked, not quite believing what Knives had said.

"Look, woman," Knives began, gritting his teeth in annoyance. "You need not go repeating what I had stated like a mindless idiot."

Ami sighed and stood up from the chair and turned towards the door. "I'm sorry, Knives, but I need to leave," she stated softly.

"How were you able to bring the traitor back to life?" the Plant asked, wanting the woman to stay and answer his questions.

The former senshi became rigid at the question and slowly rotated around to look at Knives' icy blue eyes. "That is something I will not discuss," she voiced stiffly. "It is something that not even a Plant like you would be able to comprehend."

Knives stared angrily at Ami and gripped the sheets on the bed tightly. "Are you insulting my intelligence?" he asked in a low, dangerous voice. "I have lived for over one hundred and thirty years on this dust ball of a planet and you do not think I can comprehend something as simple as resurrection?"

Ami sighed as she sat back down in the chair and shrugged her shoulders and ran a hand through her short, dark blue hair. "Resurrection is never simple, Knives. You would understand that if you were able to bring back the dead which I know that you cannot."

"So tell me how you had the power to do such a thing. I thought that only Plants had power." Knives voice was starting to get louder each time he spoke.

"No, I will not tell you."

"Why not?"

"Because it is not yet the time to tell."

"What does that mean?"

"If you are truly a being that lives outside of time, you should know that."

"I am one! And how would you know about living outside of time?!"

"I know because I do live outside of time."

At that moment, the door opened and Vash, Wolfwood, Millie and Meryl heard what Ami had said. Meryl's gasp brought the doctor's attention to the people who just entered. She realized that her patient's voice must have gotten their attention and that they wanted to see if there was anything wrong.

"How…how old are you exactly, Ami?" Wolfwood finally managed to say.

Ami sighed and looked at her friends sadly. "I am not entirely sure," she admitted quietly. "After a couple of centuries, the years no longer mattered. It became…a curse. Especially when you outlive the friends you end up making, the people you end up loving."

"So…so that's why you said that you did not have any friends when you brought me back to life," the priest said kindly. "But why…"

Ami raised her hands, stopping Wolfwood from asking another question. "I will tell all of you everything when the time is right," she replied, looking at everyone in the eyes, including Knives. "Now is not the time."

Vash spoke this time. "I understand," he stated, his voice serious. "You will tell us when you are ready. We will not push you." He directed that last statement at his brother.

Knives snorted and glared at everyone. "Fine," he mumbled as he picked up a fork from the stand and stabbed his food. `But I'll still find a way to find out about this human woman before the rest of these idiots,' he thought to himself as he ignored everyone now. `She is definitely not like the rest of the filthy spiders on this dust ball.'

Ami stood outside on the second floor balcony, staring up at the night sky. She felt the evil presence loom ever closer to Gunsmoke and she just could not remember why it felt so familiar. She let out a breath and sat down on the wicker-style settee that was next to the plush recliner. She closed her eyes and let her mind wander to memories of the past…

Flashback…

A squeal from a little girl was heard and the Senshi of Mercury smiled gently. Her young charge, Small Lady Usagi Tsukino Chiba, was laughing at a butterfly that was flying close to the pink haired girl. Mercury put down her compact computer and walked over to the little princess.

"The butterfly is pretty, Lady Mercury," the child giggled, trying to catch the colorful insect. "Is everything like a butterfly?"

The blue haired senshi smiled warmly at Small Lady's innocent question. "No, it isn't," she answered truthfully. "Butterflies do not have the long life spans that we as a member of the Silver Millennium have. We are beings that live outside of time."

Small Lady glanced up at the Ice Senshi, her crimson eyes brimming with curiosity. "We live outside of time? But I get older; I get bigger as I get older…"

"I know that, Small Lady," Mercury answered gently as she made the princess hold out her arm. The colorful butterfly landed on the small girl's hand and the girl giggled at the contact. "Of course you will get bigger as you get older, but once you turn eighteen years of age, your body will stop aging."

"Will that mean I won't ever die?" the pink haired princess asked naively, her eyes kept on the butterfly.

Mercury sighed softly as she felt a small breeze filter through her short, blue hair. "We may not age, but we can still die, little princess. Remember when the Black Moon family attacked? Some people did pass on."

Small Lady nodded solemnly as she gazed at the butterfly as it flew away. "I remember," she replied softly. "We may live outside of time, but we can be killed is what you meant…right, Lady Mercury?"

The Senshi nodded at the small princess as she stood up from the grass and motioned for the girl to follow. "That is correct, Small Lady. It's time now for you to go with Lady Pluto at the Time Gates. You learned much today, my princess, and it is time for you to go to the past to train as a senshi."

End Flashback…

Ami opened her eyes and stood up from the settee, staring once more at the stars. She missed Small Lady. After the little princess came back from the past the second time, she spent more time with Neo-Queen Serenity and King Endymion and had more lessons with Pluto and the rest of the Outer Senshi. She knew that the young girl would grow up to be a kind and wise ruler.

That was when the evil made itself known and attacked Crystal Tokyo. Even then, the enemy had a familiar, evil presence. Ami's eyes went wide and gasped, her hands flying to her face as she started to remember more things of the past…

Flashback…

Sailors Moon, Mercury and Mars were standing outside at night, fighting the evil general of Queen Beryl, Jedite. Sailor Moon used her tiara and defeated the man, causing him to go back to the evil Queen. They found out later that he was imprisoned in a block of crystal for his failures to defeat the Sailor Senshi and thought that he would forever be out of their lives.

Little did they know that throughout the centuries, Jedite's anger towards the senshi grew. He felt the other evil enemies that the senshi fought and won against. In his mind, he knew that he would somehow gain the power of the Ginzuishou and rule the universe. A couple of years after the defeat of the Black Moon family and the evil Wiseman, the blonde general broke free from his crystal prison, the centuries of imprisonment giving him strength and power.

The pink haired princess disappeared just days before the first attack upon the crystal city and the search for Small Lady took up most of the time of the senshi, both Inners and Outers. The only two people who seemed to know what was going on was Sailor Pluto, the Guardian of Time and Neo-Queen Serenity and they were not saying anything on the matter. The only thing that they both had said was that Small Lady would be found, eventually, and that she was safe.

Mercury ended up being the only senshi left alive after Jedite's attacks killed the royal family and the guardian senshi. She felt the evil general's presence approaching the throne room and knew that even with the Silver Crystal; she was no match for the man. She softly made a prayer towards her now deceased Queen to help her soul be reborn into the next life.

The senshi ran and ran, not knowing where her feet were taking her. A thought popped into her head and told her to go to the Time Gates. Not knowing what else to do, Mercury followed the thought and teleported herself to the Time Guardian's post. Her eyes became teary when she realized that Pluto was dead now as well. As the tears flowed down her face, a ghostly image of the green haired senshi appeared.

"Sailor Pluto," Mercury whispered softly, eyeing the tall woman's ethereal figure. "I…I thought you were dead…"

The crimson eyes of the dark skinned woman appeared sad, yet a smile was on her face. "Sailor Mercury, I know of the task that Neo-Queen Serenity thrust upon you. I cannot grant you the powers to see the future, but I can allow you to occasionally make glimpses upon the past in order to help you find what you seek and figure things out. I can tell you that you will have limited abilities with the Ginzuishou. Among them is to be able to sense restless souls and bring them back to life. This will drain you completely of energy, however. Another ability that will be granted to you is the ability to jump between dimensions. This will be necessary for your search for the place the Queen was talking about."

End Flashback…

Ami covered her open mouth with both of her hands. The person responsible for the destruction of Crystal Tokyo was none other than the general, Jedite. How could they not have seen it before? Tears came unbidden and flowed freely down her cheeks. If they had only known, she and her fellow senshi probably would have been able to stop the general and the slaughter he brought upon an unsuspecting Earth.

The memories she had been seeing lately in her dreams and this waking moment was now obviously part of the ability Pluto had given her. The former senshi wiped the tears off of her face and turned her eyes to face the doors that led back into the house. She somehow knew that it was fated for her to meet her new friends, even meeting Knives. Why she had to meet that Plant, she could not even guess. He was rude, mean, evil, and wanted to destroy the human race and her for some reason.

Earlier that evening, after dinner, the former senshi went back to her patient's room to take the food tray back down to the kitchen. Knives looked like he was sleeping in the bed, so she quietly went to the stand to pick up the tray when his left hand darted out and grabbed her wrist in a vise-like grip. He pulled her to the bed and whispered in her ear.

"Even if you live outside of time like me and my brother, you can still die," he murmured dangerously, her skin prickling at the tone of Knives' voice. "Once I am well, I will not kill you right away…I want you to tell me why you have lived for so long. I want you to tell me why a human like you has that ability. Tell me what I want to know and I just might spare your pathetic existence."

The blonde plant released her suddenly, causing Ami to crumple into a heap onto the wooden floor. Her sapphire eyes stared into his icy cerulean eyes for a moment before gathering the food tray quickly and made her way to leave the room; Knives laughing insanely at her retreating form. That encounter with Knives was the main reason why she had not gone to bed just yet.

`I suppose it was good that I couldn't sleep,' the blue haired doctor thought to herself. `Otherwise, I would not been able to figure out who destroyed my home and planet. I wish…I wish I could make Knives understand that killing is not always the way…Spiders and Butterflies can live alongside one another in peace and harmony. But how can you be a butterfly? Butterflies are beautiful creatures that spend their days making others happy. I could say that Vash is a butterfly because he tries to make people happy...'

Ami walked over to the balcony's railing and noticed a small butterfly flying around a spider web. She shooed the insect away from the web and watched it fly away. "Don't want something as pretty as you get caught," she whispered softly as the butterfly flew away. "I know that spiders need to eat too, but not tonight."

Unknowingly, she was being watched by a pair of aquamarine eyes. Vash stepped away from the balcony doors and silently walked over to Knives' door. He opened the door to see that his brother was still awake, his arms crossed under his head.

"What do you want?" the light blonde Plant hissed at Vash.

"You should be nicer to the Doctor Lady," Vash stated quietly, going into his serious mood. "Ami has been kind to you, healing you, making sure that you get better. And what do you do? You threaten her life and the lives of her friends. They are my friends as well, brother."

Cerulean eyes rolled and Knives glared at his brother. "I know that, you idiot. But they are spiders. They are beneath us! We are superior beings. If we cannot rule over these filthy humans, then they must be exterminated."

Vash shook his head and walked over to the door. He turned around and gave his brother a piercing gaze. "Knives, I know that you believe that. Rem tried to teach both of us that no one has the right to take another life. I know that you do not believe that, but it is true. Ami is a lot like Rem, have you noticed? They are both gentle and willing to help others. Just a few moments ago, I saw her shoo a butterfly away from a spider web."

Interest seemed to flicker in Knives' blue eyes. "She did what?" he asked slowly.

"She made a butterfly fly away from a spiderweb," Vash answered just as slowly. "She saved both the spider and the butterfly, Knives. Will you at least try to be nicer to her?"

Knives harrumphed at averted his eyes from his twin. "I promise nothing," he seethed inwardly.

Vash then smiled one of his silly grins and gave a victory sign. "I know, but at least I know that you will try," he remarked happily. "Now…where did Meryl hide those donuts?" The tall outlaw left the room, leaving his twin to ponder the statements he had made.

Ami stayed on the balcony for a few minutes longer, watching the stars twinkling in the ebony sky. She spied a shooting star streaking across the night and in her mind, it appeared to have a pink tinge. The former senshi shook her head for a moment, knowing that the color could not have been possible. She was about to go through the balcony doors and saw something hit the ground just outside the house.

`What just happened?' the blue haired woman thought as she raced down the stairs, hoping that no one was hurt. She ran to the front door just as someone knocked on it. Ami opened the door and the look on her face was one of shock. A pink blur attached itself to the former senshi's waist, giggling happily.

"Lady Mercury, I'm so happy to see you again!" the little girl squealed, her pink hair becoming loose from the hairstyle it was in.

"Ch-Chibiusa?!?"

[first posted 07.06.03 - edited and beta read by hiko-chan- 07.08.03]

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

AN: So, what do you all think of Small Lady's appearance? ^_^ I guess that not all of the senshi died…heh heh. But it is crucial to the storyline, that's all…^_^ Just to inform, I always had Jedite in mind as the main evil villain. I was originally going to call this chapter, "Living Outside of Time" but it just didn't fit. "Revelations" sounded much better because of the revelations Ami had about the past and one that Vash had when he saw her make the butterfly fly away from the spiderweb.