Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Slave Bond ❯ Chapter 3 ( Chapter 3 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Slave Bond

Disclaimer: I don't own Sailor Moon or Yu-Gi-Oh.
 
Ch 3: I Hate You

“Bakura! Look!” a younger version of Hotaru said as she pointed ahead. Bakura looked up to find the only home that these two knew gone! W-What happened?” She questioned.

“I…I don't know, Hotaru. Let's go see if anyone's still around.”
Bakura responded though disbelief still evident in his expression.

With every step they took hoping to find a remnant of life, they became even more despondent when they realized that every one was gone. Whatever it was that held Hotaru up left and she soon found herself on her knees. Bakura stood by her side taking in the scene that was surrounding them.

After wiping away the last of her tears, Hotaru looked up to see Bakura staring at the
cloudless sky. For the first time in all the years she had known him, tears were sliding his face. Slowly, she stood up and hugged her friend.

At first, he was unresponsive, “Bakura? Bakura, say something.” After a moment or two, she felt two arms gradually wrap themselves around her waist.

Then, Bakura whispered into Hotaru's ear, “Don'
t disappear.”

Hotaru's grip on her only friend tightened, “I won't if you won't; promise?”

“Promise…”


Atem's eyes shot open as he sat up. He clutched the blanket and noticed that his breathing was ragged; a moment was spent recalling another dream Hotaru was having. Because he was awake, there was no doubt in his mind that Hotaru, too, was awake.

`I don't want these dreams.' He thought to himself. The only times he was allowed to read Hotaru's thoughts was when her views were rebellious or had anything to do with Bakura like a few days ago when the visitors were here. How else was he supposed to find anything out about Bakura? It was originally meant as a way for the masters to know when their slaves were planning to run away or something like that. Other than that, Hotaru was just like every one else, with her own thoughts and secrets.

He, or rather Hotaru, had been having the same dreams for the past seven nights. It started with the two returning from whatever tomb they robbed and ended with their promise to each other never to disappear. Still, the dreams had their usefulness…to a certain degree. He was able to see a glimpse of Bakura and Hotaru's past. They both were from the same village which no longer sustained any life.

He found himself pitying the two, but then caught himself. `Not for Bakura.' He told himself that the tragedy will not excuse Bakura OR Hotaru for the crimes committed. He flopped back on his bed with arms spread out and found him self staring at the ceiling. Why was it so difficult to fall asleep after having that dream? Was it hard for Hotaru? `Wait, why should I care?'

It wasn't hard to figure out that he wasn't going to fall asleep any time soon. With that thought in mind, Atem got up and traveled to the balcony once again. The cool air of the Egyptian night did nothing for him. His form was bent as he leaned on the railing with arms crossed. He closed his eyes and listened to the night's soft music. He grinned a dry grin before he whispered, “Hotaru, it seems you are not the only one tormented… and I am not the only tormentor.”

Just when he was about to turn around, he sensed something. Without even thinking, he climbed down and soon found himself in the courtyard. A dark figure was headed towards the gates leading out…out into the desert? Then he heard the words, `I need to get away from here.' Only one person would do this. Now knowing what, or rather who, the figure was, he smirked.

With Hotaru
The pain in her arm was unbearable, but still she persisted ignoring the burning sensation until she had reached the gates. Hotaru stopped dead in her tracks and clenched the area where the mark was found, “Damn you, Atem.” Then, thanks to years of experience, she heard something from behind her. There was no hesitation in her next plan; run and don't look back. And she did. Hotaru ran without looking back.

She had actually made it out of the city, but that didn't do her any good. She was now in the desert! There was nothing but sand dunes; still, it was better than being stuck back at the palace as a slave.

Hotaru kept running and would've continued had it not been for the fact that someone tripped her…again!

With Atem


She was right in front of him as she continued to lead them farther from the city. He had to stop this before they ended up lost. And so, he lunged forward, but thanks to the sand, both fell and came tumbling down.

When they both stopped, Hotaru ended up lying on her back and Atem on top of her. Both had their eyes closed and were breathing very heavily; it wasn't helping Hotaru any that she could feel his hot breath on her skin. Through her pants, she hissed, “…Get…off…me…Pha…raoh.”

She felt the weight lift off of her, but slightly; when she opened her eyes, the first thing she saw was a pair of violet orbs staring back at her own. He had shifted all of his weight onto his arms so that he was not crushing her small figure. For a moment, his eyes were devoid of the look of anger, disgust, or hatred that he often used when he looked at her.

“What are you looking at?” She questioned feeling the heat rise on her face. When this was said, he returned to his usual demeanor when he was around her.

As this happened, he stood up and turned around before he brushed the sand off of his person, “You really are an idiot. Did you really think you could get away?”

“There would've been only one way to find out.” Hotaru retorted. Then she sighed before she closed her eyes and waited for some form of punishment. Impulsively, she flinched. Nothing happened. She peeked through one eye and then the other opened. She looked up to see Atem staring at her with one eyebrow raised.

“Are you going to get up?” He asked. He did not offer his hand as most would expect, but he didn't exactly punish her. All he did was stand there while waiting for her to stand and she did. Repeating his actions of brushing the sand off, she cast one more glance out into the desert. “Tell me, Hotaru, just what would you have done if I didn't stop you? Wander aimlessly until you died of hunger or thirst? Very smart of you.” Atem commented sardonically as they both turned and headed back to the palace.

“Nothing ventured, nothing gained,” was Hotaru's ready reply.

`She obviously got that from Bakura.' Atem thought reasonably.
 
As they were both walking, Hotaru whispered softly, “Why?”

“Why what?” Atem, who was ahead, inquired without looking back, though he was curious. Did she mean enslaving her? He thought that to be obvious. What else is there, but then he remembered her words from a few nights ago, `You torment me so, Pharaoh.' It struck him odd. Sure, he never exactly treated her fondly, but he treated her as every servant…ok, not exactly. He never invoked the slave bond before because it was never necessary; however, he never had one of Bakura's comrades this close before.

At the sound of his voice, Hotaru jumped back slightly. It was evident that she had not meant for him to hear that, “Why didn't you punish me right then and there? Most people would've.”

“Why didn't you kill me?”

“W-What?”

To that, he finally turned and towered over Hotaru, “Do not play naïve with me, Hotaru. There were exactly three nights where you entered my chambers with a dagger; where you got the weapon, I have no idea, but in all those three nights, you would stand there and then leave. Why?”

In response, Hotaru averted her gaze elsewhere; to the sand, the stars, the moon, her feet, his feet, just anywhere but his eyes. That didn't help her any for once again; he forced her to meet his gaze. At the same time, the wind was blowing and along with it were grains of sand picked up by the breeze.

“I-I…I…don't know.” Hotaru timidly replied. She was now fidgeting under his intense stare. She couldn't meet it… at least, not without looking back at herself and questioning, `Why?'
 
He let her face go, but continued to stare at her, “Hm, I believe there's more to you than meets the eye.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“There is more to you, Hotaru, than the girl who is just a follower of Bakura.” He replied as he finally turned around, “and I intend to find out exactly what it is.”

Hotaru stood there stunned until she finally remembered where she was and who she was talking to, “There is nothing left of me, Pharaoh.”

Atem continued walking but listened intently to what she said.

“And for that, I blame you. For that, I hate you.” She spat disdainfully.