Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Slave Bond ❯ Chapter 4 ( Chapter 4 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Slave Bond

Disclaimer: I don't own Sailor Moon or Yu-Gi-Oh

Ch 4: It Matters Not

Hotaru had just woken up from another dream. Her breathing was once again, uneven as she wiped the sweat from her brow. Little did she know that at the exact same time, a certain pharaoh also had been awakened. She had stopped trying to kill him now that she knew he knew. Her attempts also stopped because his words had confirmed she was unable to do the deed. `Three nights, Hotaru. Three chances that you did not take.' She thought to herself. The only question left was, `why?' It was only an hour or so before dawn and she realized that trying to go back to sleep with a heavy mind was futile.

Hotaru rolled onto her side and stared at the wall opposite to the side with the door when suddenly, she heard the creaking sound of the door opening; however, she knew better than to let this intruder know. So, she waited feigning sleep, when in reality, she was devising her plan.

Any ideas formulated in her mind was forgotten when she heard a familiar voice whisper, “Hotaru?”

Hotaru's amethystine eyes widened as she sat up and looked in the direction of the voice, “Rei?” When the voice entered the luminosity of the moon, Hotaru lips curved into a small smile. The smile was returned by another female who could've been mistaken for Hotaru's twin had it not been for the fact that Rei's hair was much longer in comparison to Hotaru's shoulder length hair. “What are you doing here?” Hotaru questioned.

“Didn't Bakura tell you that he had an inside source with the palace walls?”

To this, Hotaru nodded elated to find a familiar face. “Why didn't you come before?”

“Sorry; it's just that the Pharaoh's guard, Marik, has been keeping watch over you on Pharaoh's orders. Right now, he's asleep.”

Hotaru nodded in understanding as she patted the spot beside her gesturing Rei to sit down. Rei did so and, at once, embraced Hotaru. After the two friend pulled away, Rei's eyes fell to Hotaru's mark. In response, Hotaru looked away never exposing the sadness evident in her eyes.

“I…” Rei began gaining Hotaru's attention, “…I can get rid of one of the effects.” Rei noted how Hotaru's violet orbs dramatically brightened in response. “Atem won't be able to read your thoughts, but…”

“…but?”

“You won't be able to hide your emotions as easily as you have.”

Hotaru mulled over this revelation, “He won't be able to read my thoughts?”

A nod was her answer.

“All right.”

Rei smiled and placed her hand over the mark on Hotaru's right arm. She closed her eyes and after a moment or two, her hand began to glow with a bright red aura. When her hand stopped glowing, she pulled back and looked up to see Hotaru's shocked expression.

At the Same Time

Atem sensed a disturbance in the bond between Hotaru and himself. Something was altered when suddenly, he felt relieved and…happy?
 
`What's going on?'

Ever since that night she tried to escape, he couldn't get Hotaru out of his mind. Scratch that; ever since he first met her, he couldn't get her out of his mind! `Why?' He asked himself and scoffed when he actually believed that he would receive an answer. He had not realized it, but the sun's rays had entered his room as he continued to ponder over the sudden change he felt.

He changed into his attire for the day and went off in search of a certain slave.

When Atem found her, she had already set up the table for breakfast. Not too far off, Marik kept an eye on her as he was ordered. The two glared at each other with the same expression of utmost contempt. Then one of his priests entered the room ignoring the staring contest between Marik and Hotaru.

“What is it, Seto?” Atem questioned; his voice startling both Marik and Hotaru who just walked off towards the kitchen, but not without nodding her head towards the Pharaoh.

To this, Seto raised an eyebrow, “Your high priests and priestess are gone for a few weeks, and all of chaos ensues. Just when exactly were you planning to tell us that you went to face Bakura? And that you obtained one of his people, who you made into your slave?”

“Are you done? Only Marik and his guards know that Hotaru's part of Bakura's group. Everyone else seems to be under the impression that she is just another slave.”

“Is it safe to allow her to just roam freely around the palace?”

“Marik is keeping an eye on her and not only that; Hotaru is under the effects of the slave bond. This should be enough until we can finally get some information about Bakura from her.”

“What do you plan to do with her after you receive the information that is needed?”

Seto did not receive an answer for in response; Atem only turned and left the room.

With Hotaru
The day passed by uneventfully, less you count Makoto accidentally setting Seto's robes on fire.

Hotaru was found staring out into the city as the sun began to set. Her legs were hugged tightly to her chest as she rested her forehead on her knees. Now that she knew Rei was here with her, it made things a little bit less awkward, though the word little should be stressed. If word got to the Pharaoh, Rei could be executed or worse…she could also be placed under the slave bond. Hotaru couldn't bear for that to happen to her only friend in the palace and with the Pharaoh, his guards, and now his priests and priestess constantly keeping an eye on her, it was far too risky for Rei and herself to even be in the same room!

`But then again,' Hotaru thought wryly, `In the life we lead, aren't there always risks?'

A sigh escaped her pale lips as she lifted her heads from her knees and once again turned her gaze out towards the city.

“It's a beautiful sight, isn't it?” a male voice inquired. Without turning to the voice, Hotaru nodded. Atem had decided that it was time for a new approach because apparently his previous tactic was getting him no where, so he leaned on the perch Hotaru was resting upon to join her, “Why do you do it?”

He did not face Hotaru as he asked this nor did she even move a muscle to face him; both had their face turned towards the setting sun.

“Do what?” Hotaru whispered softly as the once blue sky turned into different hues of pink and orange.

“Lead a life that could get you imprisoned or killed?” He still did not face her.

A dry laughter was his response and yet he could not turn himself, but the question in his gaze was evident. Atem could hear the biting wit in Hotaru's tone, “What else is there, Pharaoh? What else is there for one who does not belong?”

“Why do you not belong?”

“The only place where I belong was my home and that is no longer existent…”

“…Because it was burned to the ground when you saw it.” Out of the corner of his eye, Atem was able to see Hotaru nod in response, “You have a place here.”

Hotaru only scoffed as she replied, “As a servant to a spoiled brat? I think not, Pharaoh.”

Atem shook his head, “Given the choice of freedom from your former life, would you take it? Would you if it means that you no longer have to run for your life constantly?”
The answer that he received was used with a hollow voice, “Let me ask you this, Pharaoh; would you betray your best friend?”

To this, Atem immediately replied, “No.”

“Then neither can I.”

Atem still could not get anywhere with this girl so he only turned around and with his back turned to her he stated, “It matters not.”

Hotaru finally tore her gaze away from the sun to find Atem's retreating form, “Then why the interrogation?”

“I already told you, Hotaru. There is more to you than the girl that is the follower of Bakura and I intend to find out what it is,” was his only response as he left knowing full well of the confusion with her.