Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Yu-Gi-Oh! Fan Fiction ❯ The Slave Bond ❯ Chapter 5 ( Chapter 5 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

The Slave Bond

Disclaimer: I don't own Sailor Moon or Yu-Gi-Oh

Ch 5: Her World, Her Hope, Her Heart

`Ninety-one days…' Hotaru thought inattentively. She had been enslaved for a grand total of ninety-one days; there were no signs that Bakura was coming and Rei has not said a word. At the current moment, Hotaru was locked up inside a room she imagined was a deserted servant's quarters because of another one of her escape attempt. Of course, this time it was Marik who had captured her.

“Three months,” she whispered to herself as she tucked a strand of stray hair behind her ear. She never realized someone was right there.

Atem leaned on the doorframe staring at the girl who sat by the wall as she pulled her knees up and rested her chin upon her knees. Without Hotaru noticing, his eyes softened somewhat; he never understood this girl that made him feel frustrated every time he saw her. There was just something about her, though he never told her this.

To say she was not
fond of him would be the hugest understatement of the year.

Still, he knew what he was doing to her. Harsh words were spoken, glares of distrust or disdain were sent her way, and taking away her freedom were things he could be accused of. And thanks to the slave bond, he knew…

Her world was turning gray.

It seemed as though Hotaru had slipped back into the past as reminisced her life before all of this chaos. Both she and Bakura had been friends every since Hotaru could remember.

“GET HER!” a male voice cried out. A young Hotaru had been running, but was soon lead to a dead end. As she began to shrink back and closed her eyes, she head some screams. A figure moved closer to her and instinctively, Hotaru flinched.

“Are you all right?” A boy not to much older than herself questioned. Hotaru opened her eyes to find chocolate brown orbs staring back at her.


“W-Who are you?”

“Bakura, you?”

“Hotaru.”

At this, Bakura nodded and held out his hand. Taking her hand in his, he lifted her up to her feet and gave her a once over. She was covered it dirt and had a few cuts and bruise
s on her arms.

“Why were they after you?” He questioned.

Hotaru looked away, but Bakura forced her to meet his gaze, “They wanted something from my father; he wouldn't give it to them. They threatened me if he did not hand it over.”

“Let me guess; he didn't hand it over?” Bakura asked. Hotaru nodded when she suddenly felt dizzy before she passed out. Bakura sighed and carried the girl away back to his home.

Hotaru exhaled as that memory faded to the deep recesses of her mind. She had been by Bakura's side ever since. He cared for her until she was able to get back on her own two feet, but she couldn't leave. She smiled as she recalled how Bakura at first tried to tell her to leave; that she could get by on her own now. It never happened, of course. She had been with him through the worst of times and the best of times.

It was then that she remembered the worse; her dream.

Hotaru never noticed someone kneeling down in front of her until something brushed softly against her skin.

Atem walked quietly into the room and knelt in front of her; she did not even seem fazed by his entrance. She stared blankly ahead of her as if he was not even there and it took a moment to realize that she was crying. A lone tear slid down her ivory face glistening in the soft light of the flame that brightened the room to an extent.

Slowly and hesitantly, he brought his hand to her face and wiped the tear away which seemed to bring Hotaru back into reality. She recoiled as if she had been struck flinching away from his touch. Her head moved back suddenly leaving Atem's hand hanging there in the air as if her face was still there.

“What do you want? You should've figured out that I'm not telling you anything about Bakura so you might as well leave.” She spat out. Hotaru mentally cursed herself for not being aware of her surroundings while waiting for an answer. A second later, Atem was mere inches away from Hotaru's face which caused her to instinctively move back; after all, did he not knock her out the last time he was that close?

“You were crying.” He whispered. To this, Hotaru's eyes widened a fraction.

Atem never saw it coming when Hotaru suddenly pushed him away and ran out the door. After taking a moment to regain himself, he shot up after her mentally cursing himself for leaving the door open like that and asking the guards to leave earlier. It didn't take him long, however, to realize that in her rush, Hotaru had no idea where she was going.

Soon after, Hotaru found herself in a dead end. When she turned around, she crashed right into the Pharaoh. Atem wrapped his arms around her as she struggled to free herself from his grasp, “Don't, Pharaoh, don't…”

Atem only whispered, “Don't what?”

He looked down to find Hotaru's tear-stained eyes as she whispered, “Don't make it sound like you care for me.”

To this, he only tightened his grip resting his chin on her head, “You make it sound like I don't.”

Upon hearing this, Hotaru's eyes widened once again, but she stood there limply in his hold, “Why would you?”

“Don't know, but does every thing in life need a reason?”

Hotaru only narrowed her eyes now as she looked up at him, “For you to say that you would care for a thief…a friend of Bakura? Yes, Pharaoh, I do believe that this needs a reason.” Finally slipping out of his grasp, Hotaru walked around the Pharaoh frigidly.
 
Once Hotaru was out of sight, Atem allowed a smirk to grace his features; he felt that sudden burst of hope, but as quickly as it came, it left.

Hotaru stopped walking and closed her eyes tightly for a moment. She had let her guard down for a moment and allowed that spark of hope to rise.

`I'm a thief by nature. He is the Pharaoh by birth.' A hollow laughter escaped her. Bakura couldn't save her and even if he could get her out of here, the bond between the Pharaoh and herself wouldn't allow her out of Atem's presence less she wanted to lose an arm, but not only that, she'd lead him right to Bakura! And just what was with the Pharaoh? He was damn cruel when she was first marked now he acted as if he was trying to court with her or something. Problem was… in a way, she was letting him. `You're just asking for heartbreak, Hotaru.'

“Hotaru?”

On instinct, Hotaru turned around and was ready to attack when she found herself staring at violet orbs. She exhaled as she whispered, “Rei! Are you trying to give me a heart attack?”

Shaking her head, Rei looked around to make sure no one was there. “Just to let you know, Marik's looking for you. How did you get out?”

Hotaru only looked away.

“What's wrong? Hotaru?”

But before Hotaru could reply, “There you are!”

Hotaru and Rei only rolled their eyes at Marik. Rei bowed and left while Hotaru was standing there with her arms crossed.

“How did you get out?” Marik questioned, “Well, never mind. Let's go.”

Inwardly groaning, Hotaru followed the guard back to her `room', but thinking of going back caused thoughts of a certain Pharaoh to arise. Thinking of him caused her thoughts, the ones she was thinking about before interrupted her thoughts, to come to mind. She knew it to be true in the way she looked at life now.

Her world was turning gray as she was starting to lose hope.
OoO a day later

She didn't know what was happening. One moment, she was stuck with a jerk of a pharaoh, the next she was glaring at this pharaoh wannabe; the same man she looked disgustedly upon, Yafeu was staring at her. His waist length hair was held pulled together at the nape of his neck. His bangs were long enough to reveal his brown eyes. Sun tanned skin contrasted greatly with his robes of white. He was just as tall as Atem and probably around the same age.

Hotaru's arms and legs were bound so she could not move. The room was dark and barren; lit only by the fire along the stone walls. Hotaru said nothing but the dangerous gleam in her stormy amethystine orbs spoke volumes. `How do I always get myself into these messes?'

Flashback

Resting on the bed in her room, she had all but screamed when Marik abruptly entered with two guards. She glared daggers at the three intruders with a look that said, `Tell me what you're doing here before I kill you.'

Marik only stood there as the two guards walked towards her and held her in a vice grip.

“What is the meaning of this?”
 
When she asked this, the priest, Seto, entered the room. Held within his hands was what appeared to be a parchment, “It seems as though the Pharaoh has given you away.”

“What?” She barely flinched when her arms started hurting again, but no one saw this.

End of Flashback

He held a dagger within his hand and smirked down at her. “It seems as though the Pharaoh has marked you as his. That's something we have to fix, isn't it?”

To this, Hotaru's eyes widened considerably. `If there was ever a time when I needed a dagger or preferably, my glaive…'

At the Same Time

“Seto, have you seen Hotaru?” Atem asked. It has been one day since he last seen Hotaru knowing she needed space away from him. In the middle of the night, he had felt a sudden twitch, but ignored it deciding that it was nothing. Now that he could not find Hotaru, he was starting to question his decision.

When Atem asked of Hotaru, Seto's eyes widened, “But, Sire, did you not give the girl away?”

“What? Why would I do that?” When this was asked, Seto presented the parchment to Atem who looked it over once. Crumpling the paper within his fist, Atem scowled, “Yafeu.”

Marik suddenly came into the room, “Something wrong?” When he did not receive an answer, he knew something was definitely wrong.

“Get your guards ready; we're to pay a visit to the southern region.” To this, Marik nodded and gathered his men.

With Bakura

“Bakura, we just received word from Rei concerning Hotaru.” Adofo stated causing Bakura to turn instantly.

“Well? Out with it!”

“Hotaru's not with Atem anymore. She's…” Bakura held his breath awaiting the news of his best friend. “…in the southern region. Apparently, Yafeu deceived the guards into handing Hotaru over to him.”

“Adofo?”

“What?”

“Remind me to kill that guard, Marik, next time we pay a visit to the Pharaoh, would you?”

“Of course.” With that being said, both Adofo and Bakura raced to their horses and mounted them. It was a long trip from their campsite to the Southern Kingdom's palace. Hopefully, they'd make there before the Pharaoh would.

With Atem

Marik, Seto, Shada, Mahad, and along with the guards had never seen their king so furious.

“You're going through a lot of trouble for one girl, Atem, even if she is Bakura's comrade.” Marik pointed out.

The priests silently agreed. Atem, who was in the front traveling at full speed, replied, “He took what was mine.”

Every one made note of the possessiveness in his tone.

At the Same Time

There was true fear in Hotaru's eyes as he towered over her. The dagger met her flesh as he made a single cut above where Atem's mark rested. She remained silent never once allowing tears to be shed.

Slowly, as if to taunt her, he held the knife in front of her, which still had her blood, and wiped it off with his index finger and thumb.

Hotaru tried to divert her gaze, but he would not allow it. Using his blood-stained hand, he forced her to look up causing her ivory complexion to be blemished with red before he pressed his lips flushed against her own.

Back with the Pharaoh

Atem and his men had just reached the palace when they came across a familiar face.
“Stop in the name of the Pharaoh, Bakura!” Marik cried out. Bakura promptly ignored him as he drew his sword.

“I don't have the time to deal with you, Pharaoh, perhaps another time.”

“Wait!”

Bakura stopped just as he was able to barge through the doors before he turned and glared frostily at Atem, “What is it and make it fast.”

“You're here for Hotaru, aren't you?” Marik and the others could not believe what they were hearing! Bakura was right there and all the two were speaking of was some girl!

“No, Pharaoh, I'm here to steal from this fool as I leave my comrade behind.”

Atem only stared coldly at Bakura before he said, “Get behind us.”

“What are you getting at?”

A sigh of frustration passed his lips as he replied, “My men and I can get past these doors without getting arrested. If you stay behind us with your cloaks covering your face, you can get passed Yafeu's guards unnoticed.”

Bakura and Adofo stared incredulously at the Pharaoh's proposed plan. Was he serious? “What do you think, Bakura?” Adofo whispered to his companion.

Bakura only continued to stare at Atem before questioning, “Why would you help us? In fact, why are you helping Hotaru?”

Everyone remained silent as they awaited his answer. There was no reply as Atem quickly asked, “Do you want to get in or not?”

To this, Bakura raised an eyebrow, “Fine.” `If only to get Hotaru the hell away from you.'

Bakura and Adofo mixed in with Atem's guards and seemed unnoticeable. However, the guards did distance themselves from the two thieves somewhat which made it a bit more suspicious.

Yafeu's guards saw Atem and his men so they immediately opened the door for them. They did not seem to notice Bakura and Adofo at all.

With Hotaru

Just when Yafeu was about to finish etching his mark, a voice interrupted, “Pardon me, my lord, but Pharaoh Atem has arrived and, if I might add, he is not too happy.”

Nodding to the servant, Yafeu only licked away Hotaru's salty tears as he whispered, “Do not get your hopes up, Hotaru.”

With Atem and Bakura

“My Pharaoh, to what do I owe this visit?”

“Where's the girl, Yafeu?”

“Girl? I know not of which you speak.” Yafeu replied in his most innocent voice.

“You dare lie to the Pharaoh!” Marik cried out.

Stroking his chin pensively, Yafeu smirked, “Oh, you mean Hotaru?”

At the mention of Hotaru, both Atem and Bakura impulsively clenched their fists as Atem nodded.

“But, my Pharaoh, did you not give her to me?”

Without hesitation, Atem bit out, “I did no such thing, Yafeu. The girl is mine.” He knew for a fact that Bakura was glaring at him now, but he cared not. All he was worried about was getting Hotaru away from this place.

“I'll tell you what, Atem, we will duel for her.”

Bakura could not take it anymore as he pushed his way though the guards. With speed he did not know he had, Bakura found himself in front of Yafeu with his sword raised up to the sniveling coward's neck “Tell me where she is or you'll being staring at your own dead body from the ground.” To prove his point, Bakura pressed the tip of his blade against Yafeu's throat just enough to cause a rivulet of blood to trickle down his throat.

Adofo was right behind him as the guards were starting to head their way. Atem's own men did not know whether to help Bakura and Adofo or to fight the two. They all looked towards Atem awaiting his decision.

“Don't just stand there!” Yafeu shouted at him, “Help me!”

As much as he disliked Yafeu, he could not let him die by Bakura's hand. “Stand down, Bakura.”

Without taking his eyes off of his next victim, he stated, “You act as though I am one of your followers, Pharaoh. You should know by now that I am not.”

Just when he was about to strike, a familiar voice whispered, “Don't do it, Bakura.” Everyone turned towards the massive doors to find Hotaru standing there tiredly.

“You have to be kidding me, Hotaru.”

The look evident in her eyes told Bakura she was everything but, “Bakura, please.”

Slowly, Bakura lowered his blade. But just when he did, Yafeu pushed Bakura out of the way, “Wench, just how did you escape?”

Hotaru smirked as she replied, “You're a fool to leave a blade right in front of me and expect me not to use it.”

Before he could strike, he was knocked unconscious by none other than Seto!

“Thanks.”

Seto only mumbled something incoherently in response. Yafeu's men stood there confused.

“My Pharaoh, what should we do with him?” Marik asked.

“Shackle him and place him behind bars.” Atem replied, “His punishment will be dealt with later. We'll find his replacement afterwards.”

His men nodded as they bound the unconscious Yafeu's wrist together.

“What about Bakura?” Mahad questioned as all eyed the king of thieves. He was already by Hotaru's side checking her over for any wounds. After finding out that she was all right, he was about to leave WITH Hotaru.

“You can not leave.” Atem stated.

“And pray tell, why not, Pharaoh.” Bakura asked aggravated.

“You know for a fact that Hotaru can not leave without me. She would not survive much longer because of the mark.” Bakura stood there glaring at the Pharaoh. “You may leave for now, Bakura, but Hotaru must stay with us.” Now his men definitely could not believe their ears. He was letting Bakura GO? Just like that?!

Surprisingly, it was Hotaru who said, “Go, Bakura.” Everyone, including both Atem and Bakura, was shocked by her words. “Go.”

“You're kidding, right?”

Hotaru lowered her head letting her bangs cover her tear-stained eyes as she shook her head. Bakura made a move to knock some sense into Hotaru when he felt a hand on his shoulder causing him to look over his shoulder to find Adofo shaking his head. Scowling, Bakura turned his attention back to Hotaru, “You sure?”

Hotaru only nodded. After this, Bakura turned to the Pharaoh and glared as he whispered in a low dangerous voice, “If you lose her again, I'll have your head Pharaoh even if I go down with you. Understood?”

By the time Bakura and Adofo were out of the palace, the twilight had arrived. He looked up to see the stars shining brightly, `I hope you're going to be all right, Hotaru…'

With Hotaru

Concentration was difficult because of the girl in his arms and became even more so when he felt her leaning back gradually. Of course, they were traveling on horses and Hotaru obviously had to be exhausted.

She sat there limply staring blankly ahead and had not uttered a word. However, Atem knew better than anyone because he knew what she was feeling and he knew that he was the cause of it, but never in his life had he ever felt such grief.

He could feel the eyes of the others on him as they probably wondered why he had let Bakura go in favor of Hotaru. To that, he had no answer. He didn't know why he chose to save Hotaru when his reason for enslaving her in the first place was to get to Bakura. So, what changed?

Hotaru's breathing evened signifying that she was now sleeping. Sighing, he could still feel her sadness radiating off of her and because of their nearness, the awareness amplified.

Her world turned gray… her hopes of freedom dashed… her heart shattered knowing that she was not going to be with the people she considered family.

And he knew this.

It was a while before they finally reached the palace. Carefully, Atem carried Hotaru bridal style to her room. His men watched him in shock; this really was getting to be too much.

Gingerly, he placed her on the bed and carefully moved a strand of her hair behind her ear.

He noticed the cuts just above her mark; her arm was still bleeding. Taking a cloth, he cleaned the wound to the best of his ability and left the room. Tomorrow was another day.