Sailor Moon Fan Fiction / Yu Yu Hakusho Fan Fiction ❯ Vindicated ❯ Diamonds in the Rough ( Chapter 2 )

[ T - Teen: Not suitable for readers under 13 ]

Vindicated
Chapter Two
Diamonds in the Rough
Hope dangles on a string… “Vindicated” by Dashboard Confessional
The toast had popped up burnt to a crisp, her hot shower was rudely interrupted by a sudden dose of frigid water thanks to the unreliable water heater, and now she couldn't find her keys.
Wandering around the house the petite blue haired woman began to search every nook and cranny for her keychain. Pulling back the well worn faux Persian rug; she didn't find the keys, she did however discover a rather vicious looking tribe of dust bunnies, so she wisely placed the rug corner allowing the savage natives to settle. With an `ugh' of disgust she wiped off the dust and lint that had `attacked' her once immaculate kaki skirt before rising up to keep searching.
“Where are those keys?” she muttered to herself as she turned over various pieces of cheap apartment furniture, the kind that you just know are just pretty substitutes to the milk crate decor that you had in your college dorm.
Within minutes she had searched the entire apartment and has yet to locate the elusive keys. A quick glance at the clock tacked to her wall by…well a thumb tack…told her that she was officially twenty minutes too late to catch the first subway train. In short she would have to run all the way to the sub station and cram herself into a sardine can of people then run from the station to her new job; only if Fate suddenly decided to be kind to her would she be on time. And it's all because those damn keys just had to sprout legs and walk off!
Pausing in the middle of her living room the young woman gave into a desperate sigh. Running her right hand through her pixie-cut locks of azure blue the young woman started to mutter to herself.
“Okay Ami, just calm down and think. Where did you leave those keys at last?”
Silence greeted her question which was good considering that she really wasn't expecting an answer.
Growling slightly in frustration she continued her search but as she brushed past one of her dinning room chairs the morning paper feel headline page first to the ground followed by a clattering jingle. Turning quickly on her heel Ami gasped when she saw her keys laying neatly on top of the newspaper. Scooping up the prodigal keychain into her hand she gave a small whoop of triumph and then preceded to bounce around in a most unbecoming fashion not that she cared though because she had found her keys! Let the world rejoice and sing…suddenly she stopped in mid celebration and with a short cough regained her composure because what would people think if she danced around her living room just because she found her keys?
Following the discovery of the elusive keys Ami was making her daily dash out into the streets of Tokyo were the rule was trample or be trampled especially when it came to the race for subway cars. All too soon Ami had to squeeze herself into a nearly imposable position, her left hand raised to hold onto the tether coming from the ceiling of the car and her right clasped tightly around her briefcase.
Glancing around she saw that once again the train car was filled to the gills with sardines of people that pressed and leaned on each other for support.
Just as the gentleman behind her slipped his hand into his own tether the doors closed and the subway train propelled itself through the seemingly endless tunnels. A small sigh escaped Ami's lips as she glanced around the train of passengers, these morning train rides were so tedious and like to put her to sleep it she wasn't trying to keep such a firm grasp on the handle above her head.
Suddenly something caught her eye, straight ahead of her a young woman with long blonde hair that would have reached her waist if it wasn't for the large red ribbon in her hair holding some of it back, but the blonde in particular wasn't what she took notice of but rather the headline article of her outspread newspaper.
It of course was the same edition that Ami had had her apartment but she had been too busy to even bother a glance at it. Now for some reason the paper she could easily dismiss at home suddenly became so fascinating within the hands of a complete stranger.
Art Thief Still Eludes Police” the headline blared and right below it was a supposed picture of the `thief'.
It looked like a young man whom appeared to be about her age. He was wearing a sort of white toga kind of like what the Romans use to wear. He was tall and rather muscular in build, and just like his toga his hair was white, long, and flowing. But what really got Ami were the eyes. They were a deep almond color almost golden in fact and they were formed in such a way that almost made them look cat like…no “cat” wasn't right more like…
“A fox…” Ami whispered to herself as she continued to stare at the picture and then started to read the article below.
`For six months this thief has broken into many art and cultural museums all around Japan….blah blah…; what's so unusual about this thief is that instead of escaping as soon as he steals he is arrogant enough linger at the scene of the crime long enough to boast of his exploits to police, whom arrive to capture him only, to make a clean get away…'
The article continued to the end of the page but Ami couldn't quite see it so she leaned forward slightly to get a better look.
`Many whom have seen this thief say he looks a lot like a cosplayer since he wears a long toga, colored contacts, and even a pair of kitsune ears normally worn by anime cosplayers. Despite his `harmless' and outright ridiculous appearance police say that he is quite dangerous and upon encounter one must be very cautious…”
Deciding not to read the rest of the article Ami glanced back up at the picture with a thoughtful frown, this time she noticed the white kitsune ears.
`I don't think he looks ridiculous…well those ears do look silly but beside that he looks very...”
However her train of thought was derailed when the subway train itself hit a nasty bump on the tracks and lurched forward. The lights flickers as Ami found herself hanging onto her tether for dear life.
The train soon recovered it's bearings as did it's passenger's. Rising up Ami glanced around only to give a gasp as she felt a hand sneak up behind her left leg and up her skirt.
For a moment she froze, having no idea what to do she, then it hit her or rather her offender. She swung her right arm and smacked the pervert in the head with her heavy briefcase.
She heard a hard thud and turned her head giving the young man laying on the floor a heated glare.
“Let that be a lesson to you, pervert!” Ami snapped.
“It wasn't me!” he protested loudly only to wince as his aching head gave a painful throb.
“Oh really?” Ami said sacristy obviously not believing his claim.
“Yes. But I saw the man who did do it,” he said as he rose to his feet then pushed his way through the masses of people.
“What the…?” Ami whispered as she followed the mass of red hair that the young man was under.
She watched as he picked his way around the train until he found his `victim'.
In front of a packed audience the young man lifted a graying old man off his feet by his shirt collar.
For a split second Ami stood, not a single muscle moving…well nothing but her dropped jaw that is. As soon as she recovered from initial shock she pushed her way through the stilled crowd whom were all staring at the ruckus being made by the young man.
At last she reached him and even though she was nearly a foot shorter than him she roughly grabbed on his right shirt sleeve, “Let him go!”
He glanced down at her with cold green eyes, “Why should I let him go? You're the one who wanted him to pay for his actions.”
“How do you know he was the one who did it?” Ami questioned, “The lights were flickering when it happened. How could you have seen him do it?”
“I saw him walk away as soon as the lights turned back on.”
“He might have been trying to get closer to the doors so that he can get off at the next stop.” Ami pleaded.
“Hmm really? Well we'll just see about that.” the young man said as he glanced down at the elderly `culprit'.
Wincing from the stare the elderly man started to mumble something.
“You're going to have to speak up `sir' or she won't be able to hear your apology.”
Sweat collected on the balding head of the elder, he licked his now dry lips as he glanced from the irate young man to his small female friend. There was no way around it, he could either be embarrassed now or suffer the cruelness at the hands of this insane child.
“I…I am sorry for my despicable act,” the old man said clearly as he bowed his head.
The train slowed to a stop; as soon as the door opened the young man pushed to the front of the line and deposited the pervert on the platform.
“No wait this isn't my stop!” the old man yelled but the doors closed again and the train moved onward.
Walking back to his spot he saw that the blue haired woman was still standing there. With a questioning glance he grasped his tether just as the train was picking up speed.
Silence surrounded the two of them, both just staring at each other…for no particular reason.
On Ami's side of the world she was baffled.
She would swear on a stack of Bibles that she had never seen this man before in her life but there was something vaguely familiar about him. But it was like trying to cup water into her hands because as soon as she got a clear picture of just where and when she might have met him before it just slid away from her comprehension.
He cleared his throat slightly which brought Ami out of her thoughts.
“I…uh thank you by the way…” Ami said bowing…or at least tried to since it was still so crowded.
“You're welcome,” he replied.
Tension and silence settled in again as Ami tried so hard to keep her mouth closed on the matter but then just couldn't help herself.
“You have to admit though. You could have handled that a bit better though.” Ami began; she glanced up at the young man to see if she would get a reaction.
No reaction at all, he still glanced down at her with a puzzled stare.
“Do I…know you from somewhere?” he asked.
Ami cocked her head to the side, “Well no not before now,” she said.
He still looked very confused.
The train crawled to a stop again. Ami let go of her tether and made her way to the open doors.
His eyes grew wide for a second, “Wait!”
“I can't, this is my stop.” Ami said.
“It will only take a second…” he began but she slipped through the doors which slammed in his face.
“Damnit,” he whispered to himself.
Ami was so never so relieved then when the lunch bell rang. Her students bolted out of their desks, carrying their lunches in hand they walked out of the door, migrating to the outside, chattering and giggling all the way.
One must be either near insane or have a death wish to teach junior high children.
Ami was grateful to be neither…sometimes however the kids would drive her to both extremes.
They were just at the age where they realize that yes they have a free will but that also leads them into conflicts with authority and the rules. Not yet teenagers but not `children' either.
Taking out her lunch Ami was about to start eating but was interrupted when Shingo Tuskino opened the door to her room.
Glancing to the door Ami smiled slightly, “Shingo-kun. What are you doing here? Don't you want to eat lunch with your classmates.”
The young man blushed and shook his head, “Not really Miss Mizuno.”
“Well you can eat in here if you want.” Ami said.
The boy slid into his desk on the front row and placed his lunch in front of him.
Ami started to nibble on her rice, trying to search her mind for the right question.
From the first day of school Shingo had been on of her best students, not to mention the fact that he followed her around like a puppy dog. But no matter how carefree he seemed there always seemed to be something troubling him.
Today was no different.
At the end of the first semester his mother had confided in Ami that his older sister, who was only two years younger than Ami, was very sick and about two years ago had slipped into a coma.
Her illness had put a lot of strain on the family even more so since there has been no sign of her improving.
Ami would never say a word to Shingo about it though.
School really wasn't the place for such personal discussions.
But at the same time Ami honestly wished that she could help Shingo.
That seemed almost imposable though since the only thing that could reverted him back to a more stable state would be the healing of his big sister, Usagi Tuskino.
Night enveloped the white light city of Tokyo. Like many huge cities all over the world this one never seemed to sleep, there was always activity. Always people crowding the sidewalks, the subway cars, and of course crowding the shops.
One thing he was very grateful though was that the museums and art galleries closed just as the sun sank.
Carefully he tip-toed around the red laser wire coming ever closer to his prize; laying in it's glass case taunting him had to be one of the most beautiful jewel he had ever seen…but then again anything he didn't “own” was utterly beautiful.
A sly smirk crossed his lips showing off a hint of a pointed fang as he reached the case.
He could just lift the covering off of the jewel but that would make the job too easy, without any style what so ever…not to mention that it would trip another alarm and he would like to linger over his prize before alerting the police just yet.
Extending a clawed hand he cut a deep circular hole into the glass then with a slight tap popped the circle out of the glass. Reaching down into the case he plucked the large sapphire and platinum ring from it's purple velvet cushion.
The display lights caused the platinum to sparkle like a pounded diamond, the ring itself was decorated with miniature figures carved out of the platinum. They were mermaids who's slender arched bodies and curved tails formed the circle of the ring, their delicate hands raised up to hold the oval cut sapphire that was surrounded by seven diamonds with one more diamond carved into the very core of the sapphire.
The sapphire it self seemed to positively glow with it's own radiance. Just like a beautiful woman it held secrets against him because it's depth concealed so much.
“The Sapphire of Hermes,” he whispered to himself as he continued to gaze at the gorgeous gem.
`A deep ocean blue…just like her eyes…” his `other half mused'
`Who's eyes?” he questioned.
`Remember the girl we…you `saved.'
“Aw come on you still can't be sore about that…”
`You could have gotten us into big trouble Yoko and most likely all these treasures that you've been `collecting' for almost a year would have been discovered.'
He gave an exaggerated a yawn, `No wonder women don't like you Kurama, you talk too much. And if I remember right you wanted that old fart to get his just as much as I did. I knew you would be too spineless to do it on your own so I took over for a little while.'
`…True but you didn't have to draw so much attention.'
“Whatever, “ Yoko said aloud with a shrug as he slipped the `Sapphire of Hermes' onto his right ring finger then walked towards the nearest laser wire.
“What do you say we give the guards a wake up call?” he chuckled to himself as he lifted his left foot to break the barrier.
Suddenly a metal chain wrapped around his right hand.
Whipping his head around he followed the chain up to the ledge just above him.
Crouching low was a young blonde haired girl wearing a sailor uniform and red high heels, her small hands coiled around the golden chain which had curled around his wrist.
His lips split into a wide feral grin, “Well well. What do we have here?” he purred before he jerked hard on the chain intending to send the girl flying but she merely flipped in mid-air and landed on her feet with her hands still grasped tightly around the chain.
Her face took on a bubbly expression as she glanced at the thief, “Good to see you again Yoko. I trust that you haven't forgotten me.”
He chuckled softly, “Ah and who could forget you? The lovely and valiant Sailor V.”
“Oh stop it Yoko, you're making me blush,” Sailor V teased but her levity left her as she broke off a portion of her chain transforming it into a broadsword while still holding the chain with the other end.
Yoko startled laughing, “Now V-chan. You don't intend to kill me do you?”
“Only if you don't cooperate,” Sailor V responded as she walked closer to him until the tip of her broadsword just barely brushed against his chest.
“I don't see why you are so upset about…”
“You've taken something very precious to me Yoko now fork it over. If you give it to me I'll let you go.”
With his free hand Yoko grabbed at the chain. “I am afraid that I can't comply with your `request' V-chan. The mark of a good thief is that he never gives back anything he has stolen.”
“I need it though!” Sailor V growled as she tightened her grip on the chain.
“Why? It's just a piece of jewelry.”
“I have my reasons. Now give it back!”
Yoko sighed, “Doesn't anyone say `please' anymore?” he asked a split second before he ducked the blind swipe that Sailor V had taken at him with her sword and swung his foot out to catch her feet.
She saw his foot come out but couldn't move fast enough to dodge it so she crumbled to the ground.
Yoko jerked free of the chain and bolted towards the ceiling and through the skylight.
Sailor V narrowed her baby blue eyes at the retreating kitsune thief.
For years she had been trying to hunt down and capture this thief who was stealing the `Gems of the Cosmos.' Each of the eight gems had been designed and constructed by single craftsman years ago….centuries even…or better yet a millennium ago. All of those eight gems as marvelous as they appeared they were nothing compared to the fabled ninth gem.
The Imperial Silver Crystal, famed jewel that many art historians argue never existed since it was rumored to have been able to hold all eight of the other gems.
Most likely Yoko was working his way to get all nine of the gems.
This would cause a lot of problems.
She only knew him casually but she didn't want him to get hurt since they weren't the only ones searching for the gems and the Imperial Crystal.
She really needed all of the gems to reawaken her princess. Time was coming too close for the final battle to allow errors so it was vital that she needed to get the two…now three gems he had in his possession before `they' find him and take those gems from him by force.